Who's going to Melbourne

Guest Abi&Dan

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are heading for Melbourne too and looking at Sanctuary Lakes/Point Cook/Altona to rent when we get there. We are hoping to arrive Jan/Feb 08. All our meds/police checks have been sent and we are now waiting to see if we get the visa!

We have relatives in Melbourne who are sponsoring us and I have an Aunty in Adelaide. We came out for a holiday last year and absolutely loved it! We visited loads of places, travelled along the Great Ocean Road to Adelaide, went to Sydney and to Port Douglas in Queensland and just couldn't believe how beautiful it was. I grew up in Oz but hubby had never been before but now can't wait to get there for good.

Gill, Phil and Harry (8).

Guest Cooper Clan
Hi, we're off to Melbourne too, hopefully early 08. Me, hubby and 2 boys aged 13 & 10

We have just received our possitive skills assessment from the ACS this morning, so the visa forms will be completed tonight and sent to our agent first thing in the morning.

:biggrin:

Hi

we sent our application may 9th, just waiting for the visa and then we're off:wacko:

looking to go to Melbourne also:jiggy:

We're looking at the Diamond Creek / Eltham areas and have 3 boys 14 12 and 9

we're in leighton buzzard, beds

Where are you?

Guest ozdreamer
Hi

we sent our application may 9th, just waiting for the visa and then we're off:wacko:

looking to go to Melbourne also:jiggy:

We're looking at the Diamond Creek / Eltham areas and have 3 boys 14 12 and 9

we're in leighton buzzard, beds

Where are you?

Hi Cooper Clan

We are currently just down the road from you in Aylesbury and are also looking at the Eltham area aswell as Templestowe and Doncaster.

Hoping to get over as soon after xmas as we can (dependant on when we get the visa and sell the house). Have promised to spend out last xmas with parents as they aren't too happy about us going.

What type of visa have you applied for?

Amanda :cute:

Guest jonseywife
This is all really great - hopefully be having regular PIO meet ups by the time we get there!

Can't wait to meet everyone!! (Busy day :wideeyed: )

Blimey Abi&Dan

Look what you've started!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twitcy:

I think you'll have to get a very BIG house out there, to fit us all in, for this meet up you suggested !!!!!!!!!!!

Look forward to it.............. see you all there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sally-ann & the gang x

Guest Tracyanne
Hi,

We heading for Melbourne this August. At the moment we're looking at either Doncaster East or Berwick. Would love to hear if anyone can offer any advice on areas, my husband will be working in Dandenong so ideally not too far way but somewhere nice with good schools and we've promised the girls a house with a pool!!!!

Would love to hear from you

Thanks

Tracey

Hi Tracey,

We live in Berwick and have been here almost 2 years. Its a lovely area to live with lots of facilities nearby. WE have 3 daughters Emily 13, Sophie 11 and Chloe 10, they love it here, we also have a pool which the girls love.

Dandenong is only a 20 minute drive away so just a short commute.

If u need any more info on Berwick just ask, more than happy to help. How old are your girls, do u need info on schools?

Tracy

Guest digger2475

hia this is karl,mel, shannon(12) and alex(8). need info on whear to live and schools can you help.

im a bricklayer is there much work going on.

hope to hear from you soon karl,mel & girls.

Guest Abi&Dan
I'm doing an air conditioning and refridgeration course which hopefully will lead to me being able to stay in oz for good. it pretty daunting :unsure: as i'm coming over on my own

Regards Paul

Hi Paul - are you doing your course as an apprentiship over 4 years are a shorter 2 year course? My Dan is going to do the same course and we're thinking of the 2 year one as he's getting on a bit! (lol - I wish there was a muttley 'snigger' smiley!)

Karl - try this website as a starting point

Live In Victoria - Work and Live in Melbourne, Regional Victoria, Australia

Melbourne Victoria Australia - visitvictoria.com The official travel and accommodation site for Melbourne Victoria Australia

Real Estate, Property, Land and Homes for Sale, lease and rent - realestate.com.au - for houses

And everyone!! It's really great to see all your responses - most of you will be there before Dan and I so spark up the barbie and put a tinny in the ice box for us x see you soon (((hugs)))

Happy Abi :wubclub:

Guest thistles and gum trees

Hi Guys,

Its so great to read that so many of you are heading to Victoria - however are there any that are heading a bit further out East??? We are heading to the Gippsland Area - no idea what its like and NO-ONE ever seems to mention it on here... :unsure:

We are heading to Sale in October 07 with our 3 children 14, 12 and 8. Have never been over and have no family or friends there. Any help or suggestions about Vic would be great. Also any 14 year old boys or 12 years old girls who have already arrived with any advice for my elder 2 - fab - or better still want to make friends!

We are going to Sale through posting as OH going to be with the RAAF.

Look forward to hearing something! Thanks, Sarah.

Guest OldiesRUs
Blimey Abi&Dan

Look what you've started!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twitcy:

I think you'll have to get a very BIG house out there, to fit us all in, for this meet up you suggested !!!!!!!!!!!

Look forward to it.............. see you all there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sally-ann & the gang x

Are oldies allowed to come too? We'll be very useful for babysitting!:jiggy:

Jean

Guest OldiesRUs
Hi Guys,

Its so great to read that so many of you are heading to Victoria - however are there any that are heading a bit further out East??? We are heading to the Gippsland Area - no idea what its like and NO-ONE ever seems to mention it on here... :unsure:

We are heading to Sale in October 07 with our 3 children 14, 12 and 8. Have never been over and have no family or friends there. Any help or suggestions about Vic would be great. Also any 14 year old boys or 12 years old girls who have already arrived with any advice for my elder 2 - fab - or better still want to make friends!

We are going to Sale through posting as OH going to be with the RAAF.

Look forward to hearing something! Thanks, Sarah.

Oh Sarah. Lucky, lucky you!!!!! Sale is FABULOUS. OH and I were over in March and we had fancied East Gippsland. Actually went to look at Lakes Entrance, but that was not good. However, we discovered Sale on our way and I totally and utterly fell in love with the place. Good size town, very pretty with lots of flowers and things, the residential areas that we saw were all beautifully kept and tidy. Lovely lake there, not too far from the sea. Loved it, loved it, loved it.

Jean

Guest paulspeg

hi abi&dan

yeah i'm doing the 2 year course starting in jan 08 so i will have to keep you posted on how things go and what to expect (that's if i get my student visa...fingers crossed - shouldn't be a problem but you never no). Are you guys going over on the student visa?

Regards Paul

Guest Bromwich Family

Hi we should be coming to Melbourne to poss end of the year fingers crossed. Maybe Geelong as freinds have been there 5 months love it. It's good to see so many people doing the same thing lets hope me get there and meet up. TRA has been aproved visa application sent begining of June, We have allready sold our house so nearly there can't wait.

Paul , Sarah, Evan 5, Harry 2

Guest THE JONEZYS
hia this is karl,mel, shannon(12) and alex(8). need info on whear to live and schools can you help.

im a bricklayer is there much work going on.

hope to hear from you soon karl,mel & girls.

Hiya Karl and family.

My OH is a Brickie too. We live on the Mornington Peninsula and there is plenty of work around here. Infact most of the Brickies we know, are doing well, where ever they live in Melbourne.

There are also plenty of good schools around near us, both state and private.

All the best.

Lesley.

PS.............How's the weather now in Barnsley, saw on Sky News parts have been flooded!!

Guest Johnthepom

Gonna be some party -:jiggy:.

John, (44) Treena, (that'd be tellin'), Sammi (10) and hopefully Leanne (18) (depending on University transfers but probably following later) are looking to be in Melbourne early next year.

Not got a clue how this will happen as relying on a sponsored VISA from my prospective new employers which I am told can be arranged in 3 months but haven't seen a scrap of paperwork yet.:wacko:

Here's hoping that things work out and we can meet some of you guys out there.

J.

Hi Jean,

Thanks so much - thats the first time someone seems to have even heard about Sale!! Are you planning to go over there yourselves? What takes you to that part of Aus? Thanks again, best wishes, Sarah x

PS All ages are great to share firendship and time with! Keep in touch...

Guest Abi&Dan
hi abi&dan

yeah i'm doing the 2 year course starting in jan 08 so i will have to keep you posted on how things go and what to expect (that's if i get my student visa...fingers crossed - shouldn't be a problem but you never no). Are you guys going over on the student visa?

Regards Paul

Paul

Yeah - would be great if you could keep us posted - fingers crossed for you on the student visa :yes:. We're lucky - I have citzenship from when I was a kid so Dan will be scooting in on a spouse's visa (still makes those 2 year courses very expensive though!!)

Hi Everyone!

Typical, joined PIO then haven't had time to Post in ages (but have been lurking on the quiet whilst at work).

Glad to see so many people heading for Melbourne/Victoria! It's good to know we might have some friends already there or on their way when we get there. We are still waiting to hear - meds sent off 2 June so could be any day now! Already had a car boot sale last Sunday morning (in the pouring rain but still made £80) to try and start clearing out some of our junk from the loft - but still loads to go. Is it ever going to stop raining here! Can't believe it - last year it was a heatwave. Once we get the Green Light we can put the house up for sale - so hoping to get over there early 08!

Anybody got any info on schools in Point Cook/Sanctuary Lakes area as we might be looking to rent there when we go? Want to get Harry (8) sorted into school a.s.a.p. Cheers!

Gill, Phil and Harry (8)

Guest OldiesRUs
Hi Jean,

Thanks so much - thats the first time someone seems to have even heard about Sale!! Are you planning to go over there yourselves? What takes you to that part of Aus? Thanks again, best wishes, Sarah x

PS All ages are great to share firendship and time with! Keep in touch...

We are in the throes of applying for a contributary parent visa as we have a son and grandson out there and our other son and his lady love are also planning on applying next year. We hope to be there October time next year.

We were looking at Gippsland as it is midway between family in Melbourne suburbs and son and grandson. Also, younger son is planning on going to Mellyborne.

Jean

Hi Jean,

You are soo lucky to have your family out there!! The biggest thing my children are going to miss is their grandparents. NOTHING can make up for that - so go for it and enjoy! I know it will all work out fine and we will make friends of all ages through the church etc. We are in Cyprus at the moment and its great for the children to have "surrogate" grandparents! We will be in Sale, Gippsland on Saturday 27th October so will keep you posted! We should have a house within a month from now and although we really like the school in Traralgon, we have decided to stick with Sale as there seems to be a lot going on that we would enjoy - as well as some amazing scenery and lakes etc. We are just away to start our packing etc (once all our visitors have left - have family and friends with us till 28th July then our stuff goes about a month later!!!). Chaos reigns - in a somewhat HOT climate.

Greetings from a warmish 40 degrees in the shade!

Sarah x

Guest spock
Hi Everyone!

Typical, joined PIO then haven't had time to Post in ages (but have been lurking on the quiet whilst at work).

Glad to see so many people heading for Melbourne/Victoria! It's good to know we might have some friends already there or on their way when we get there. We are still waiting to hear - meds sent off 2 June so could be any day now! Already had a car boot sale last Sunday morning (in the pouring rain but still made £80) to try and start clearing out some of our junk from the loft - but still loads to go. Is it ever going to stop raining here! Can't believe it - last year it was a heatwave. Once we get the Green Light we can put the house up for sale - so hoping to get over there early 08!

Anybody got any info on schools in Point Cook/Sanctuary Lakes area as we might be looking to rent there when we go? Want to get Harry (8) sorted into school a.s.a.p. Cheers!

Gill, Phil and Harry (8)

Hi, We are heading for point Cook/Sanctuary Lakes as well, probably early next year. There seem to be several schools in the area and they appear to have good reputations (based on what other people who post on here have told me). We're hoping to get 2 of our 3 sons into Carranballac College in Point Cook. Other schools mentioned were Seabrook Primary and Altona Meadows Primary. Check out there websites, it might give you better idea of whats out there. Good luck. Cheers Jo.

Guest peppa

hi everyone, we are new to this site and what a fantastic site so glad we found it. we (peppa 31 ft mum, owen business analyst mackenzie 10, poppy 7, finegan 1, lilac 5 months) are moving out to melboune june 08 hopfully! oh is from hobart but have decided on melbourne based on his work, would of loved sydney but just cant afford to live there. We need some advice from all you people in the know we really are at a loss when it comes to selecting where in melboune to live. We need to be within easy access to the city (max hour) we have 4 young children so somewhere where there are families, good schools, parks ect and the all important shops! just coming to terms with leaving oxford street and west end behind-its been very difficult!-

We downloaded 'where to live in melboune' last night (as reconmended by someone on this site, thank you very much) at the moment our short list is:

Doncaster

Doncaster East

Glen Waverley

Eltham

Greenborough

Plenty

Mornington Penn

If any one can offfer any advice on these areas that would be great:spinny:

thanks in advance,.

peppa:jiggy:

Guest Toutys

Peppa,

How do i go about getting a copy of the report you mentioned ''where to live in melboune" ?

Many thanks

Guest jonseywife

Hi all

We downloaded "where to live in Melbourne" too........ It cost about £5 I think... not sure maybe a bit more, but it gives you a breakdown of crime rates, population and what nationalities its made up of, lists of schools, house price guide etc. We found it really helpfull !

Also, has anyone tried ARRIVE & THRIVE IN AUSTRALIA........... again you pay a few pound and you can download it, or print it off (make sure you have loads of paper & ink, its huge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. This was well worth the money too!! It saves hours of trawling the internet...... I put mine i a folder and can read it then at my leisure (not that I have alot of that) !!!!

It covers the whole emigration process, from types of visa's to actually getting out there and the intervew tips (which were a bit long winded and too long and also didnt apply to manual trades as such, more office/business/Manageral jobs)

Heres a few links i found usefull:

Live in Victoria - Melbourne, capital city of Victoria, Australia

How to arrive and thrive in Australia

Travel Victoria - accommodation & visitor guide - Australia

Melbourne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Happy reading........... Mornington, Here we come.............. :jiggy:

Sally-ann x

Guest peppa

hi toutys

if you go to wheretoliveinmelbourne.com you can download it from there i think it cost me £11.99 its really worth it has great information.

Archived