New years resolution

theonetruechris

This year its going to be - get the f**k out of dodge (or Melbourne / Oz)

I've tried to love it, then I tried to like it, I've even tried to abide it, but no its not for me. It could be the global financial crisis but I'm not staying anywhere where I can't even get a callback let alone an interview in a field where I have 16 years experience just because of a different computer program which can be picked up in weeks.

So f**K 'em I'm off home.

Ps. sorry for bad language but I'm gettingt that P***** **f with their false niceness no call backs when they say they will ergo no integrity

pps. I have been drinking so sorry for ranting

ppps. all these no going back type programs only fixate on negative issues of ooh I'm missing family back home need to go, not we can't get work so can't afford to live (still suppose that doesn't fit the image of moving to oz as the streets are paved with gold) I never believed that but didn't for 1 second think it would be as hard to find employment as it is.

pppps. don't come here thinking it'll be fine - it won't think more then think again, best tip have employment sorted pre flying out.

Guest sooveroz

I've tried to love it, then I tried to like it, I've even tried to abide it, but no its not for me. It could be the global financial crisis but I'm not staying anywhere where I can't even get a callback let alone an interview in a field where I have 16 years experience just because of a different computer program which can be picked up in weeks.

Ps. sorry for bad language but I'm gettingt that P***** **f with their false niceness no call backs when they say they will ergo no integrity

ppps. all these no going back type programs only fixate on negative issues of ooh I'm missing family back home need to go, not we can't get work so can't afford to live (still suppose that doesn't fit the image of moving to oz as the streets are paved with gold) I never believed that but didn't for 1 second think it would be as hard to find employment as it is.

pppps. don't come here thinking it'll be fine - it won't think more then think again, best tip have employment sorted pre flying out.

thats the spirit!!! be like a shepherd and get the flock outta here. we are off in 20 days and it can't come quick enough. all the best for 2010!!

we go back in feb after nearly 3 years, i hear you, the false promises, "you will let me know either way", "of course"........like s**t they do!!!!. i have spent nearly 5 years of my life here...been here before in 91-92...and i have family who are great...smashing people and we are now aussies as well.....but....but...there is something about oz that just doesnt suit/sit well with certain poms....me included. the recent road tradgedy in nsw , at batemens bay, was awful. but it highlights a real problem in oz regarding infastructure away from the major centres. i have worked with truck drivers who happily tell me how they 'cheat' the system so they can drive 10/12/14 hours etc...does this happen in the uk???, not to my knowledge and certainley not the extent it does here,(why have none of the trucks got the safety barriers between the back and front wheels as in europe??, scary as f**k!), i know im going off on a tangent, been drinking too, but the reasons i want to go back home are many, but the tradgedy i mentioned highlights an indiffernce to change in oz??????, it happened on the princess highway, the only road on the south east coast of oz , and it is a shocking road, its basically a 'b' road in the uk , and trucks etc, fire up and down there day and night...........scary stuff.well thats enough for now im going to bed, oz is not the problem i feel its me , but at least i have been here long enough to draw a line under it.

Nothing like a bit of aussie bashing guys! Having read some recent nursing research about Australia, apparently some areas are equivalent to third world countries when it comes to health care..... as for dental care.....what's that??? Roads...aren't they the dirt track at the end ofthe driveway? I could go on but I think you've already said it all.

I read on one of these posts have someone found that when they go back to the UK all the English do is talk about what they've got and what they want. This is true, but so do all of the Aussies I've met (I luv 'em and I'm not bagging them out for it), it's human nature, that's what we do. As for superfical attitudes I thought that was just a Gold Coast thing...... Obviously happens in Melbourne too.

Here's to hoping this is my year to get home too, jus need to convince hubbie! :arghh:

Guest pegasus 90

I have sympathy for you; I have heard your plight so many times in the 10 years I've been here. I was originally in one the trades so didn't have a problem getting work (excluding getting all my quals & bloody licenses etc!). It seems that people in the building trades are ok but if you work outside of that it is very difficult. My wife had a fantastic job in London before we came out; now the kids have grown up a bit she wants to get her career back on track again but finds that the opportunites are limited for women.

Another frustrating aspect of working here is this obsession that their way is best. I believe this is due to the remote isolation which makes them thump their own chest & big up themselves. I came over as an Electrician and I remember once at a job interview, they listened to what I'd done & said that yes I looked ok, but I didn't have West Australian experience; so in what way did Australian electricity differ from British I enquired??????????

I persevered and have done quite well over here, helped alot by working in an industry that is dominated by English people, but i never ceased to be amazed at the people I meet and hear about who had great jobs & financial position and hang on here desperately unhappy & ruinously just so they can remain here. I don't get it personally; it is a nice place to live....but it isn't worth going broke over.

P90

Nothing like a bit of aussie bashing guys! Having read some recent nursing research about Australia, apparently some areas are equivalent to third world countries when it comes to health care..... as for dental care.....what's that??? Roads...aren't they the dirt track at the end ofthe driveway? I could go on but I think you've already said it all.

I read on one of these posts have someone found that when they go back to the UK all the English do is talk about what they've got and what they want. This is true, but so do all of the Aussies I've met (I luv 'em and I'm not bagging them out for it), it's human nature, that's what we do. As for superfical attitudes I thought that was just a Gold Coast thing...... Obviously happens in Melbourne too.

Here's to hoping this is my year to get home too, jus need to convince hubbie! :arghh:

Hi emmylou,

We too are from liverpool, and have been in Brissy (Northside) for over 4 years, we have also made the decision to go home within the next 12 months, for all the same reasons as most people on "moving back to uk" thread. it all seems to be "this will never be home or I dont want to grow old and be in a retirement village over ere full of regrets"

we have actually just bought a house in Maghull liverpool taking advantage of the credit crunch, we managed to get a morgage over in the UK based on our wages here thro the Halifax Expat morgages, so we are gonna rent it out 4 a while to a family member, until contracts finish ere ect and then we will head home to sanity with our 2 kids, we too miss family and friends, scouse humour, football abnter, work banter, changing seasons, shops, albert dock, lake district, closeness of europe, annual holidays, cheap food, Asda, cheap cars, family weddings, birthdays, ohh the list goes on, we too feel like, every place you visit u get the same deal, lovely beach, blue water, dry landscapes, bars and expensive cafes, whether it be gold coast, sunshine coast ect, i am not bagging it, it just doesnt float our boat anymore. i would rather be walkin round the albert dock with my mum and sister in my ugg boots scarf, gloves and hat, waiting for a good concert to come on in the echo arena.

different strokes for different folks lol.

But yeh, done the live the dream thing, and the adventure thing, now time for my 2 kids and me n hubby to do the family thing!!!!!

Good luck with your decision, its soo much harder to make the decision to go back than making it to come ere.

Sending a hug:hug:

Good luck to all you guys moving back to the UK. We actually love it here in WA, I guess when you really miss things it can take a hold of you and not let go. We miss people but don't really miss things like supermarkest or Europe and don't miss anything enough to make us want to return. After 3 years, we still very much feel we're at the start of our adventure here, and our resolution will be to hopefully more of the same.

Hi emmylou,

We too are from liverpool, and have been in Brissy (Northside) for over 4 years, we have also made the decision to go home within the next 12 months, for all the same reasons as most people on "moving back to uk" thread. it all seems to be "this will never be home or I dont want to grow old and be in a retirement village over ere full of regrets"

we have actually just bought a house in Maghull liverpool taking advantage of the credit crunch, we managed to get a morgage over in the UK based on our wages here thro the Halifax Expat morgages, so we are gonna rent it out 4 a while to a family member, until contracts finish ere ect and then we will head home to sanity with our 2 kids, we too miss family and friends, scouse humour, football abnter, work banter, changing seasons, shops, albert dock, lake district, closeness of europe, annual holidays, cheap food, Asda, cheap cars, family weddings, birthdays, ohh the list goes on, we too feel like, every place you visit u get the same deal, lovely beach, blue water, dry landscapes, bars and expensive cafes, whether it be gold coast, sunshine coast ect, i am not bagging it, it just doesnt float our boat anymore. i would rather be walkin round the albert dock with my mum and sister in my ugg boots scarf, gloves and hat, waiting for a good concert to come on in the echo arena.

But yeh, done the live the dream thing, and the adventure thing, now time for my 2 kids and me n hubby to do the family thing!!!!!

Good luck with your decision, its soo much harder to make the decision to go back than making it to come ere.

Well no offence because i havnt lived there yet,so you know much more than me,plus its how YOU feel that matters.ive only validated in adelaide.

BUT if yer going to the echo arena put a crash helmet on because theres MEERDER nearly every concert with the juiceheads,ask morrisey,he just had a bottle launched at him and walked off.

THe lakes,yes i love it as well,ambleside mainly.

But all i can say is....good luck in finding work(unless yer sorted already)and i hope it all lives up to your expectations when you come back.

ME? im not expecting utopia in oz but ive had enuf of lpool/uk to at least give oz a go,as you have yourself.

good luck anyway

Guest bebe1375

Lol this threat is mental! We've just decided to give Oz a go. Reading this makes you think twice, but each to their own, you can please all of the people all of the time!

Bebe

Hi emmylou,

HI Possie in Brissy, I'm actually Aussie, but lived in Liverpool for the past 15 years, leaving in 11 days, and I'm really sad about it, even tho' I'm from there, I am going back for my folks, but not excited as much to be going back as sad to be leaving here. Although people are closed a little bit here, I feel it's much more accepting and I remember I used to say that Sydney was toxic living, as everyhone worked to have more money and more stuff, and bigger houses, or cars, and nwo I'm going back to bring my kids up in that. I'm worried too that kids here love their folks, and that over there is a mentality that kids are a bit more, I don't know how to say it.

I keep saying that i'd prefer to go to say Canada, and feel that my folks expect me to stay for good there. so I understand that you move back for family, and I can understand too the mentality of being an 'outsider' no matter how long you are there. I hope you find happiness back with your family.x

sorry guys put that reply on the wrong thread, that was supposed to be on the thread emmy lou had started, "Sorry I am blonde" lol

You might have posted on the wrong thread, but read your message anyway! Had a big convo with hubbie last night, still planning to go for a holiday in April but then will more than likely come back and pack up to go home. We both want to travel the West Coast before we head back, so we'll see...... But I totally get the Albert Dock in Ugg Boots and Scarf thing, especially whilst the weather here is so humid!!! Would love some "fresh air". Good luck with your move home! :jiggy:

Archived