457 Health Insurance

stewe12345

You will find the robbin sorry health insurance companies are now selling bridging insurance ,they dont miss a trick. I believe its about 50 dollars sounds cheap but its prob only for a couple of days til you get recip medicare. Some have tried travel insurance but their COs would not have it

Ok thanks I'll look into this bridging insuance a bit more. Just been on the site and the $50 is only for membership, so not sure if this would be good enough for DIAC.

Really if you look at it logically ,its money for nowt , you pay the money get your cert send it to diac. You get yuor visa come here ,go to medicare ,cvered then so this 50 bucks is for about 1 day or 2 at most, thing you will need to get is ambulance cover *qland its covered with your electric bill . In Wa you can get it $80 for a year

Really if you look at it logically ,its money for nowt , you pay the money get your cert send it to diac. You get yuor visa come here ,go to medicare ,cvered then so this 50 bucks is for about 1 day or 2 at most, thing you will need to get is ambulance cover *qland its covered with your electric bill . In Wa you can get it $80 for a year

To true they get money for nothing but its the easiest option for a visa. I wouldnt mind but that cert offer no cover what so ever but it does the trick. Suprised DIAC accept it.

Thanks all for your help

Stewart

For purpose of appling for a 457 visa I need to have health insurance until I can registrar with Medicare once I arrive in Australia.

How is this possible if I do not know the date I will be flying out and would normal travel insurance be enough???

ok, i can clear this out for you. a travel policy is adequate to support your visa application if your flying directly from a Reciprocal country, entitled to a RMC is only determine once your in Australia. YOu must take out a health insurance policy if your not eligible for RMC.

The Department of Immigration and Citizenship has set new priority processing arrangements for certain Skilled Migration visas. The processing priorities applies to applications employed under ENS and the RSMS. so if you select a date they will likely finalised around those dates.

you can purchase a health membership with IMAN, its 100% refundable if you visa is not successful, or purchase an COVER NOTE $50 non-refundable this comply with DIAC, visa condition 8501. also will support your visa appliacation.

Guest greensnot

but prinze,

IMAN will only sell the cover note (interim certificate) if your arrival in australia is more than 90 days from the date of registration. if its less than 90 days then one has to buy the proper insurance online. i just bought a couple 320 plan from IMAN for 322AUD$ for 30 days. since my date of arrival is not confirmed yet I can get to choose the start date of the cover. although i dont know if my CO will accept it.

but prinze,

IMAN will only sell the cover note (interim certificate) if your arrival in australia is more than 90 days from the date of registration. if its less than 90 days then one has to buy the proper insurance online. i just bought a couple 320 plan from IMAN for 322AUD$ for 30 days. since my date of arrival is not confirmed yet I can get to choose the start date of the cover. although i dont know if my CO will accept it.

All of IMAN's Health Plans comply with DIAC visa condition, the 320 Plan is the highest Plan, that includes many health benefits and extras, just the basic 190 Plan has been offered to sponsors of 457 visa holders since the 14 September, 2009.

A minimum insurance condition set by DIAC, the policy must have benefits at least equivalent to an aggregated limit that must not be less than $1million per person per annum. IMAN has a limit of :smile:$2million per peson per annum.

You are in safe hands!

Guest chappers79

I'm not sure what the exact legal requirements are, however when I came on 457 i had no medicare membership as yet... took me a few months to get myself sorted in that regard. I did have to go to A&E and get a deep cut looked at, all they needed was my UK passport. There is reciprocal agreement between aus and uk which means we get 'medically necessary treatment' from medicare free of charge.

I'm not sure what the exact legal requirements are, however when I came on 457 i had no medicare membership as yet... took me a few months to get myself sorted in that regard. I did have to go to A&E and get a deep cut looked at, all they needed was my UK passport. There is reciprocal agreement between aus and uk which means we get 'medically necessary treatment' from medicare free of charge.

No Public-Hospitals in Australia will refuse to treat a person when medically necessary (emergency). If your visa was grantd before 14 September,2009 you will be under different obligations, but all visas granted on or after 14 September 2009, visa maybe cancelled if you do not hold adequate health cover for the duration of your working visa. It is not compulsory to take out Health Insurance for those entitle to a Reciprocal Medicare Card.

:shocked:But keep in mind a Reciprocal Medicare Card does not provide Ambulance Cover, In emergency cases you might need a helicopter to air lift you to the hosptial, ($20-30 Thousand dollars) your sponsor will be liable for this if 457visa was granted before 14 September 2009. That is, if you do not hold health insurance or your insurance policy does not met these benefits.

For those 457 visa holders granted on or after 14 September 2009, you will be liable for this cost yourself.

And

:smile: If your subject to pay the medicare Levy Surcharge, you may avoid the medicare levy surcharge 1%, by taking out a Domestic Policy with a Registered Health Insurance Provider.

• 2 years later...
thing you will need to get is ambulance cover *qland its covered with your electric bill . In Wa you can get it $80 for a year

hiya

any advice on where to get it that cheap?? I've done some research and only came across companies that charge you around 500... :err:

thanks!

For purpose of appling for a 457 visa I need to have health insurance until I can registrar with Medicare once I arrive in Australia.

How is this possible if I do not know the date I will be flying out and would normal travel insurance be enough???

Hi mate under the condition of the 457 visa you need to have private health insurance in place for the whole duration of your stay in oz. I believe that if you cancel it after arriving they will contact diac plus i dont think you can claim medicare if your on a 457 visa (but i maybe wrong on the medicare bit)

Archived