Driving Adelaide to Brisbane

calNgary

Has anyone done this drive or can anyone recommend a route to take,coastal or inland?

We fancy driving for a few hours then stopping and camping overnight (for sanity reasons as we will have the kids with us),taking a few days to complete the journey, where will i find out about the best campsites?

Is there anything we 'must' see in Adelaide or en-route to Brisbane.

Bit scared of stopping in the middle of nowhere after watching all the outback murders on the TV,lol.

Any advice much appreciated

Cal x

Has anyone done this drive or can anyone recommend a route to take,coastal or inland?

We fancy driving for a few hours then stopping and camping overnight (for sanity reasons as we will have the kids with us),taking a few days to complete the journey, where will i find out about the best campsites?

Is there anything we 'must' see in Adelaide or en-route to Brisbane.

Bit scared of stopping in the middle of nowhere after watching all the outback murders on the TV,lol.

Cal x

have you seen Wolf Creek!!!:elvis:

not trying to scare you or anything..:laugh:

Guest wanderer

I've done various coastal/inland routes from Queensland to Vic and SA Cal and with the drought we've had, the inland areas are going to be a real sorry sight and some of it is sure Wolf Creek looking type country but there's Grey Nomads and other caravanners/campers wandering all over this country all the time.

I'd make your plans on when you're going to do it too for inland will be extra hot from now for the next 4-5 months and not much relief when you pull up whereas coastal you can often have the water and/or sea breezes.

And the other thing that can happen going inland is it is very flat in places and so if there are drought breaking rains, every possibility of roads being cut.

Your choices are

1. totally inland, harsh and awful and not much encouragement to stop but quickest route if no floods.

2. totally coastal, longest but most scenic and great to take a week or more would be better and plenty of options to stop.

3. Mixture of coastal and hinterland/inland.

a. Southern Coastal road via GOR, Melbourne or Ferry Queenscliff to Sorrento on Mornington Peninsula and on through South Gippsland [Fairy Penguins at Phillip Island], South Coast of NSW [Australias best country] and then head inland from Batemans Bay via Braidwood/Goulburn and Katoomba/Blue Mountains and via Windsor or towards Mudgee to bypass Sydney and take New England Highway.

b. Great Western Highway to Grampians and down to GOR, across to Gippsland and you could head from Cann River up through to Cooma[snowy Mountains Kosi. NP] to head down towards Bega/Merinbula or to Canberra before heading across to Batemans Bay Though Cooma to coast and then back from Batemans Bay as in a. would be best.

There's so many variations and really depends on how long you want to take and what you want to see and time of year and weather will help decide that.

And haven't even mentioned Nigels country of Tallangatta way, northern Victoria being another great area and another way into the Snowy Mountains, a great drive along the Alpine Way.

So c. Head East from Adelaide for Murray Valley Highway and all the River towns, Rutherglen, Beechworth, Bright, Mt. Beauty, Tallangatta, Corryong, Khancoban and on to Alpine Way for Thredbo, Kosi. NP and Cooma to coast etc.

Have a look on Google Earth and you can zoom right in to get a good idea of terrain/type of country with different ways and then use a site like www.travelmate.com.au to plan distances/times.

As for where to stop, other than caravan parks in all towns along the way [and if camping, you'll always find tent space even during holidays] and National Parks or State Forests there's plenty of free places both legal and illegal but obviously with less facilities.

There's a book you can get for about $50 - Free and Budget Top Camp Sites, Best Camping Grounds and Caravan Tourist Holiday Parks Australia which is extra good value.

But you really need more than just a few days.

Adelaide's main claim to fame is probably Barossa Valley, Birdwood National Motor Museum and the Hills villages including Hahndorf, there not being a huge reason to head down into Adelaide itself if you're not going there for a particular reason.

Mentioned a few places along the way but there's heaps more depending on which way you go and how long you decide on taking.

Cal x

My advice would be 2 spare wheels & a satellite phone !

Picture below taken on Stuart Highway when we were driving back to Alice from Darwin.

Got 2 flat tyres in the space of a few km, middle of nowhere.

Much cursing later, we managed to limp to Barrow Creek Pub, where we'd to wait about 8 hours for a spare tyre to be brought up from Alice. The pub was where Joanne Lees had made her way to after her boyfriend, Peter Falconio had allegedly been murdered by Bradley Murdoch (which is one of the things that loosely inspired Wolf Creek).

Great memories of the trip now though, probably looking to Drive to Darwin again next year.

alice-darwin.jpg

How much does it cost to hire something like that fer a cpl of weeks?if yer dont mind me asking! that would suit me fine,looks decent

Can't remember what we paid now to be honest, probably be able to get a quote from the website -http://www.britz.com.au/

Was ideal from the trip - 6 berth, tv, dvd, shower, toilet, fridge, cooker, microwave, aircon - the works !

Guest wanderer

pablo,

How much does it cost to hire something like that fer a cpl of weeks?if yer dont mind me asking! that would suit me fine,looks decent

A rig like that you're looking at close to $200/d but it can get one hell of a lot cheaper if you want to have some flexibility and do one or two relocations.

Rental Relocations Australia New Zealand United States Canada - Hire Now at StandByCars

At $/n and a fuel allowance, still on my agenda to head off for a few months taking my time, stopping when I have to for another relocation but doing the around Oz trip on the cheap and in comfort.

With the nominal days you're allowed to relocate, if earliest pick-up date and latest delivery allow, you can usually book 2-3 extra days at a discount price.

And with the free o/n places along the way [including a side street in Sydney] it sure makes for cheap travelling.

pablo,

A rig like that you're looking at close to $200/d but it can get one hell of a lot cheaper if you want to have some flexibility and do one or two relocations.

Rental Relocations Australia New Zealand United States Canada - Hire Now at StandByCars

At $/n and a fuel allowance, still on my agenda to head off for a few months taking my time, stopping when I have to for another relocation but doing the around Oz trip on the cheap and in comfort.

With the nominal days you're allowed to relocate, if earliest pick-up date and latest delivery allow, you can usually book 2-3 extra days at a discount price.

And with the free o/n places along the way [including a side street in Sydney] it sure makes for cheap travelling.

Thx fer that,yes i just googled it,a good ones about $200 as you've said,thats just me being extravagant tho tbh,theres only the two of us,but one of those bigger ones would be better roomwise.its given me an idea actually this thread,never thought of it before,dont know why tho tbh!:goofy:

Guest wanderer

Rob,

If you head this way, it's worth looking out for some of the stranger wildlife round Cape Conran area

Have never been on the CC road but many times around the Princess Hwy, quite a few Wombats with legs skywards.

Most outstanding road critter experiences for me have been up Mildura way,

. one time heading through forested area to there but still a bit south and biggest Lizard you'd ever want to meet - head to tail he was from edge of road to centreline in length, a good 2M plus.

. then on a drive from Broken Hill south to Wentworth one night and there were Kangaroos galore on road sides and they congregate on road sides for that's where fresher grass will be after a mowing.

They just all raised their heads as we approached but just stood their ground, an amazing experience.

Looks like you at least had good supervision changing the flat!

Guest guest30038
Thx fer that,yes i just googled it,a good ones about $200 as you've said,thats just me being extravagant tho tbh,theres only the two of us,but one of those bigger ones would be better roomwise.its given me an idea actually this thread,never thought of it before,dont know why tho tbh!:goofy:

Hi Pabs,

Mate, a 4 berth is currently running at nearer 300 dollars a day..........350 if you want a "no worries" contract (no excess) and chairs and table thrown in.

If you don't need too much space, don't mind an older van, and a hi-lux is good enough, this is the way to go if price is of concern 4 Berth Deluxe Motor Home Hire Cairns Townsville Airlie Beach Brisbane Sydney Melbourne

Recently had a visit from a PIO member x 3 using one of their vans for over a month and they were quite satisfied.

kev

Thanks guys for the information and thanks Aldo for putting the sh*ts up me,lol

We will be doing the journey next week(as long as i can get reasonable flights there) so after reading wanderers advice might stick to the coast now,lol i have bought a ute in Adelaide as couldnt find what i wanted in Queensland so will be travelling back in that, no fancy motor home for us.

Great tip about the spare wheels, will have to order an extra one for it on Monday so i have 2 or i will be panicking over that all the way home,lol.

Once again thanks for the advice, i will get Gary on to read the posts later.

Cal x

Guest guest33730

Cal,

Make sure you do a write up when you get back - I love hearing about this kind of thing! - can't wait 'til it's my turn.

Have a great time!!

Daniel

I will try to keep a little diary en-route Daniel, should be fun, wish we had more time to explore but need to be back here for xmas eve latest.

Hence - if my name is still absent from the boards around that time please send search partys to look for me,lol

Cal x

Guest wanderer

Cal,

We will be doing the journey next week(as long as i can get reasonable flights there) so after reading wanderers advice might stick to the coast now,lol i have bought a ute in Adelaide as couldnt find what i wanted in Queensland so will be travelling back in that, no fancy motor home for us.

Great tip about the spare wheels, will have to order an extra one for it on Monday so i have 2 or i will be panicking over that all the way home,lol.

Once again thanks for the advice, i will get Gary on to read the posts later.

A twin cab is it?

for if not, with

for sanity reasons as we will have the kids with us

It'll be a tight squeeze.

I'd reckon unless you're going real outback, you can get away with just a single spare and take out RACQ membership if you haven't already.

Without having the time for having a good look around you might want to let Gary go and do the pick up and come back the quick way and save the flights extra cost for a trip down the coast when you've got more time and better weather.

Quickest route back is going to be about 2000 km. and that'll be including the hell holes of Hay Plains and heading up the Newell Hwy, undivided but 110 kmh limit to suit all the truckies doing quick trips between NQ and Melbourne.

To take an extra 200 km. you ought to plug Jerilderie into travelmate to miss Hay Plains, Jerilderie being on the Newell and then head off it at Coonabrarbran to head for Tamworth and the New England Highway and then off to Beaudesert and your neck of the woods.

If doing something like that, there's not too bad a back way to cut out a few of the bigger towns and traffic - from Parkes, head through Yeoval to Wellington and then Gulgong to Coolah over to Werris Creek and on to Tamworth.

Not a lot shorter in distance but reasonable enough roads and peaceful easy touring because you'll feel there's no one else about and you're not constantly thinking about the Semis.

Alternately, the Barrier Hwy up through Broken Hill, Wilcannia and Cobar to Coonabarabran is not much longer and a good road with very little traffic, but more isolated and do not pick Wilcannia for a stop.

One way or another in say four days you're still looking at something over 500 km./day to cover which is easy done out there, but doing too much more and the kids will be grizzling.

www.tigerairways.com.au is probably best bet re fares Gold Coast to Adelaide.

If you all do decide to go, you can find some free parking just up north from the GC terminal along the airport service road, a few businesses along there and areas you can sneak a vehicle into.

And then cutting back to the coast from Armidale along the Waterfall Way to Belligen and on via Coffs Harbour is a great drive.

For accommodation, other than camping, on site caravans or caravan park cabins, think of joining www.yha.com.au as they have some good country hostels with family rooms or just 4 bed rooms and another alternative is the old country pub, some with rooms from about $20.

Thanks Wanderer some great info there. We are still undecided if to buy a tent in Adelaide and camp back or to use B&Bs or motels. Cost wise camping would be better but i think a good bed and a straight nights sleep is needed if we are spending so long driving,lol, currently battle of the wills here so any advice appreciated.

this is near on identical to my new baby,lol so yes its a dual cab.

[ATTACH]1420[/ATTACH]

Guest wanderer

The other way you may want to think of too Cal is Vehicle Transporters.

Get a quote for Adelaide to Brisbane and it could compare favourably with costs for airfare, fuel and eating/drinking etc. and no time off work or lost either.

And camping this time of year will be a bit like a bloke doing the barbie.

Save your camping trip for Fraser Island at a good time of the year.

Hi Wanderer

Thank you so much for your info, we have booked the flights (Thanks Nigel you little gem) and have now plotted a route and have included some of the places you mention.

We have decided not to camp as it would mean carrying all camping gear over on the plane or buying new when we get to Adelaide, so we are looking at motels/hotels etc i am a little worried about somewhere letting us stay for just one night but i'm sure i will find something. (my job for today,lol)

Again thanks for the info, Gary has printed off your posts and put them in his secret man file,lol.

Cal x

Guest wanderer

If you're going this coming week Cal before the actual week of Xmas, shouldn't be too big a problem getting in for individual nights as most places cater to travellers just as much holidayers.

If the kids are not too old, a few sheets and they can sleep in the cab and then buy a cheap enough camping mattress in Adelaide or take a blow up for the back with tailgate down and a tarp in case it rains and you've got four sleeping!

Warm enough, and all you'll need is sheets and some mossie coils/citronella candles to bunk down at some nice quiet beach or wherever.

You might be able to buy a ticket to see the Panda Bears at Adelaide Zoo.

Zak as already asked if we can go to see the bears,lol, but we are going to be to pushed for time. Flying out Thurs morning and Gary has to be back for work on Tuesday!

I have just finished booking accommodation , we are all sorted and booked in, it was easier than i thought it would be as i expected to struggle booking one night here and one night there but the guys have been so helpful even offering me directions etc.

Will update you all when i get back about the route and accommodation if i am not locked in a mental asylum through child created stress,lol.

Cal x

Guest wanderer

That's a bit of a rush but hopefully you're working on a reasonable route and I'd plan on being up before dawn each morning and get a few hours in before breakfast, roos in any roo territory less of a problem than in evening.

Have a picnic breke break and then a couple more hours and you'll have just about as much travelling as you need to do each day done in coolest part and be missing most traffic.

Find a river/lake location for cooling off or if accommodation booked has a pool, at least you can be there for later hotter part of day.

Archived