A call for immigration to be cut.

kernow43

The federal government are looking at a proposal to shut the door on automatic entry to Australia for kiwis, and to cut annual net immigration from 200,000 to about 70,00.

Mr Thomson, who heads the Parliament's joint standing committee on treaties, said his measures would stop Australia wrecking the environment and force governments to focus on education and training. "They would address the declining quality of life in our cities, the traffic congestion and the disappearing back yards and open spaces," he said.

Shut the door on Kiwis to curb growth says MP | The Courier-Mail

What do you think?

Guest proud2beaussie
SKILLED migrant numbers would be cut from 114,000 to 25,000 a year and refugees would rise by 6000 to 20,000.
:eek::swoon:

And just how does he propose to provide the skills that we need in Australia,like doctors,nurses,scientists etc from a migration program limited to 25,000?

Unless of course the only occupations that we let in are doctors,nurses etc,but them who is going to buid the doctors surgeries and repair their cars when the focus on education in Australia is on sending kids to university so that they can become doctors and lawyers who then toddle off to work overseas.

The man is mental but I'm not surprised that Bob Birrell the immigration phobic is involved.

Unfortunately in times of high unemployment many Australians would probably agree with him.

Guest siamsusie
The federal government are looking at a proposal to shut the door on automatic entry to Australia for kiwis, and to cut annual net immigration from 200,000 to about 70,00.

Mr Thomson, who heads the Parliament's joint standing committee on treaties, said his measures would stop Australia wrecking the environment and force governments to focus on education and training. "They would address the declining quality of life in our cities, the traffic congestion and the disappearing back yards and open spaces," he said.

What do you think?

Interesting one here Kernow, I did hear this gentleman on the radio the other day, but in lieu of todays news that the liklihood of the "boat people" being processed within 12 days, is on the cards, I would have thought that Mr Thomson's views are irrelevant right now:daydreaming:.Tourism not just immigration causes environmental problems:wubclub:

Guest guest30038

I don't like Krudd but his comments on being a "big Australia" man is something that I agree with. I think a larger population is essential for security reasons. With Australia's huge natural resources we would be a prime target if a major conflict kicked off and we therefore need a bigger defence force. The largest Muslim population in the world is right on our doortep and if the fundamentalists there, ever get the upper hand???????

kev

Guest proud2beaussie

I wonder what Jamie Smith thinks of the plan to cut the number of New Zealanders!

I don't think he would be impressed somehow.

Not putting words in your mouth though Jamie.

Guest Brigs43

Unfortunately I can see Australia going exactly the same way as the UK has with regards to so called Asylum Seekers.It makes my blood boli when I see Kevin cartoon character rudd pandering to these economic refugees..When I think that my wife and I had to fight tooth and nail to get our Oz visas,and that we have to work our asses off to pay taxes here,part of which goes in supporting these useless refugees..I think its about time these boats were sunk before they get a chance to enter Australia,otherwise this country will be swarming with them...

Guest siamsusie
Unfortunately I can see Australia going exactly the same way as the UK has with regards to so called Asylum Seekers.It makes my blood boli when I see Kevin cartoon character rudd pandering to these economic refugees..When I think that my wife and I had to fight tooth and nail to get our Oz visas,and that we have to work our asses off to pay taxes here,part of which goes in supporting these useless refugees..I think its about time these boats were sunk before they get a chance to enter Australia,otherwise this country will be swarming with them...
:daydreaming: what do you mean sink the boats as in "let the people drown"? I think they will be processed to determine "genuine refugee status". Dont' forget we paid for "economic refugees" in the UK to come in. It really must be an impossible situation with the eyes of the world on you, but then Howard has this in his days as well didnt he?

ss

Guest Brigs43

They are Economic Migrants and I personally dont want them here.One reason I escaped the UK was because of the hoards of refugees being let in.Friends of mine in Australia are struggling to make ends meet.I have friends in the UK who would love to come and live in Australia,and have there applications already submitted,but because of the recent changes in the skills applications they have been put on hold for at least a year.Yet these so called refugees could have there cases approved within a couple of weeks..Now you tell me how on earth they determine if this lot are genuine refugees or not.I think not.They are economic migrants,who know how to manipulate the Oz government and will not be satisfied until they are in australia,given a house to live in and all the benefits under the sun.Yes as I said sinking the boats may need to be considered..

Guest siamsusie
They are Economic Migrants and I personally dont want them here.One reason I escaped the UK was because of the hoards of refugees being let in.Friends of mine in Australia are struggling to make ends meet.I have friends in the UK who would love to come and live in Australia,and have there applications already submitted,but because of the recent changes in the skills applications they have been put on hold for at least a year.Yet these so called refugees could have there cases approved within a couple of weeks..Now you tell me how on earth they determine if this lot are genuine refugees or not.I think not.They are economic migrants,who know how to manipulate the Oz government and will not be satisfied until they are in australia,given a house to live in and all the benefits under the sun.Yes as I said sinking the boats may need to be considered..

I think it must be a hell of a position to be in as Government. I agree that the soft touch will only result in "followers" and personally I agree with New Zealand's stance in refusing admission. It is extremely upsetting for "would be migrants" who have the skills, paid a huge amount of money to Australia and have been knocked back for various reasons, those are the people I feel sorry for to be honest.

Whether these Sri Lankans are economic migrants I cant tell, no one can until they are processed but I think the Government have an unenviable task in handling this situation, but do you seriously think sinking the boats are the answer? I dont ss

Guest wanderer

Brigs43

The root cause of terrorism they say is poverty and I can well understand that if people with about zero opportunity in life are also persecuted to the extent of their life being a living hell they'll start thinking "I have nothing to lose but to seek something else".

Fortunately not all turn to terrorism.

Those of us who have had the good fortune to be born into societies where greater freedom and opportunity have existed can never really know what suffering and despair some people go through and the millions that have perished after possibly being raped and/or mutilated.

As for the latest lot of people from Sri Lanka on the Oceanic Viking, there has just been a civil war raging in that country for some two decades and then some, people probably faring far worse than if they had been in Iraq under Saddam.

And then since the idiotic invasion of Iraq there have been millions more displaced persons right across the middle east and sub continent, not to mention the millions in Africa that die of brutality or starvation.

The welfare of refugees, be they political, economic or just plain in peril and/or starving does need to be addressed and fortunately for them, though there could be more of the Brigs Brigade, they'll be kept far enough away from the cannons and torpedoes manned by Australians.

Australia has had a refugee program for many years, as have other countries and the Sri Lankan people even along with other arrivals in northern waters over the past decade probably still comprise less than half a years refugee quota for Australia and whatever the numbers, Australia does need to have a firm management process in place short of sinking boats, enough of that happening anyway and another reason to deter the smugglers offering services and of people being prepared to venture on long water crossings in rickety old unseaworthy boats.

It is all too easy to say I do not want them here but just as people applying for visas can wait varying lengths of time based on numbers available and applying, the displaced peoples of the planet is a fact of life to be lived with and really a minor fact for Australia.

79 people have made Krudd a bigger clown of the planet for him not having the balls to deal with this as promptly as he should have.

But we have digressed from the real matter at hand and that is immigration numbers and the population growth of Australia.

Itcouldbeworse

I don't like Krudd but his comments on being a "big Australia" man is something that I agree with. I think a larger population is essential for security reasons. With Australia's huge natural resources we would be a prime target if a major conflict kicked off and we therefore need a bigger defence force. The largest Muslim population in the world is right on our doortep and if the fundamentalists there, ever get the upper hand???????

I'll go one step further and say Krudd is hopeless and as Howard has just said in an interview, all talk and nothing of any substance and with the longest ever media honeymoon perhaps coming to an end, more people will realise what a fool they have as PM.

A larger population needs water and you have to ask is desalination the answer - apparently so but perhaps also not for Queensland.

Skin Head Garrett ought to get back on the stage with Midnight Oil for he has just canned a dam in Queensland that was to help whet the thirst of the burgeoning SE and poor ol Premier Anna whose invite to the party was only for the roasting spit it would seem has had to mention more desal plants as a fallback and hopefully if the drought is breaking for the time being, we'll not need them for many a day for even the first one is struggling to get past commissioning.

That's only half the problem, for desal plants like all process plants, or more so because of the marine environment will not cope too well with a turn it on when you need it and otherwise have it sitting idle other times [Corrosion a Huge Problem].

And then Anna has proclaimed No new coal fired power station will be built in Queensland unless CO2 can be stored underground!!!! - a dream that could easily be a nightmarish joke, especially when all that extra power is to be required to crank up a desal plant

Arithmetic will tell you If No coal will not go into Power, do not expect Seawater to go into tapwater too well.

Queensland isn't the only state with water issues either, so someone needs to consider just how desirable all the extra population is on the planets driest planet without rehashing the design of the place.

I wouldn't worry too much on fundamental Islamists but a hungry China is another potentially far more dangerous possibility!, and no end of population increase here will do very much at all, Mandarin perhaps to become our first language.

Like, if you think about it, do you think the US would go to War for the sake of Australia?

But going further back on track, and whether you consider Thomson & co. Nutters. mentalists or phobics, concentrating near half of the countries population into two cities and 90% plus into about 5% or less of the countries area and to do nothing about it is just sheer lunacy and yes, overcrowding in such a large country is plainly ridiculous.

There is so much wrong with Australia in the sense that WTO level playing field approach has not served Australia nor most other developed countries too well at all and ironically was aimed at helping developing nations out of poverty.

The end result of continuously pouring people into a country with limited ability to support them and just as continuously moving jobs out will do nothing but have a larger class of poor forever increasing in size and living with less and less services.

Perhaps we will get enough leaders prepared to stand up and say it's back to basics or perish and more training in hands on trades will again be resumed.

No apologies for the lengthy post for it's a bit more than taking the odd angry shot and Brigs, please send that attitude back to wherever it came from.

Your an Immigrant in Australia, what gives you the right to say who come's in and who don't. There ar plenty of Poms who have come for economic reasons. But at the end of the day you have a lot in common with the Reff's.

You both seeking a better life.

Not so diffrent really are you.

Brigs43

Skin Head Garrett ought to get back on the stage with Midnight Oil for he has just canned a dam in Queensland that was to help whet the thirst of the burgeoning SE and poor ol Premier Anna whose invite to the party was only for the roasting spit it would seem has had to mention more desal plants as a fallback and hopefully if the drought is breaking for the time being, we'll not need them for many a day for even the first one is struggling to get past commissioning.

That's only half the problem, for desal plants like all process plants, or more so because of the marine environment will not cope too well with a turn it on when you need it and otherwise have it sitting idle other times [Corrosion a Huge Problem].

And then Anna has proclaimed No new coal fired power station will be built in Queensland unless CO2 can be stored underground!!!! - a dream that could easily be a nightmarish joke, especially when all that extra power is to be required to crank up a desal plant

end of quote

There was a proposal a few years ago to raise the height of the Borumba Dam by about 10 metres, which would have give SEQ a dam with acreage about the same as the Traveston, but the idea was knocked back if I remember because Borumba is surrounded by Pine plantations which belong to the Japanese. So we don't need to go the way of desal! Just raise the dam[n] wall!

Guest wanderer

kernow43,

There was a proposal a few years ago to raise the height of the Borumba Dam by about 10 metres, which would have give SEQ a dam with acreage about the same as the Traveston, but the idea was knocked back if I remember because Borumba is surrounded by Pine plantations which belong to the Japanese. So we don't need to go the way of desal! Just raise the dam[n] wall!

Got another run by the pollies today, didn't catch it all but think it was an opposition plan, Poohaaed by gov. for whatever reason [didn't catch it all]

Bear whatshisname the Brit ex SAS adventurer was drinking his own untreated and fresh warm pee out in the Kimberley region a couple of weeks ago!.

Marcoola Beach Lovers are not impressed with thought of a desal plant there.

I think we can safely assume that all migrants to Australia are economic migrants because they all want a better future.

Australia is a signatory to international agreements, most asylum seekers arrive by plane, in addition to those by boat, they are processed to see if genuine....

I am Australian and my understanding of Australia and how I was brought up in both the bush and the city was that we treat others with respect, irrespective of their background (interesting these days the bush seems more tolerant than the big cities, regional community health systems would collapse without doctors from Iran, Iraq, etc. who arrived originally as refugees).

All Australians are the sprog of people who got here one way or the other, from many a varied background, worrying thing these days that many Australians do not appreciate this themselves.

I am very curious to understand that if people have an issue with something like this in Australia, understanding that we are made up many cultures of whom many were once refugees, why migrate to Australia if you do not want this type of society and migration system?

That was the deal, observing Australian laws and responsibilities surely?

I have no idea whether they are economic migrants or not but I do know that there are not many of them compared to those that fly in every day and get passed and overstay on their visas. I think to take a risk on a boat you must be pretty desperate.

The vietnamese people who came on the boats after the war have settled down into the Australian community and added to the diverse nature of culture that is being developed.

I used to think oh do not let them in but I have mellowed, they let me and mine in, just walked in at the time.

We just have to leave it up to the migration people to sort it out. I am not a fan of queue jumpers either but the government is in an impossible position.

Should they just go and throw them overboard, those of us who do not agree with resettlement please give the gov an idea that will appeal to all the citizens of Australia instead of knocking.

What do you think?

Now Gordon Brown wants to do the same in UK,

Under the latest crackdown, Mr Brown wants professionals - including doctors, engineers and hospital consultants, skilled chefs and care workers - to be removed from the list of workers eligible to apply for jobs.

UK shuts door on foreign workers | The Courier-Mail

:eek::swoon:

And just how does he propose to provide the skills that we need in Australia,like doctors,nurses,scientists etc from a migration program limited to 25,000?

Unless of course the only occupations that we let in are doctors,nurses etc,but them who is going to buid the doctors surgeries and repair their cars when the focus on education in Australia is on sending kids to university so that they can become doctors and lawyers who then toddle off to work overseas.

The man is mental but I'm not surprised that Bob Birrell the immigration phobic is involved.

Unfortunately in times of high unemployment many Australians would probably agree with him.

you missed dental technician lol

One of the little ironies I noticed about the immigration debate is this: People say that all the different races 'enrich' our boring Anglo-Saxon culture. I agree but isn't it also true that the British 'enriched' the aboriginal culture of Australia?

Have you found Culture in Australia? I may even come back.

Who said Anglo-Saxon culture is boring?? not seen that

The untold reason for calls to curb the "New Zealand" intake is because the lax immigration policies in NZ had made them the back door to Australia. And those coming here with a NZ passport go straight onto some pension or another, and are a total drain on resources contributing zero to the economy. And they are as New Zelander as I am Brasilian.

There are a number of views on the immigration issue to a country. There are those in politics who know that numbers make a country stronger. More numbers, more tax, more money to spend and bigger the kingdom. Providing the voters don't get too upset, who comes in the country does not matter to this clowns. Whoever it is, providing it is human, will at the bare minimum have an array of bodily functions to attend to, and they make good business and they vote.

This politicians take a pretend lefty stance, make populist policies and take plenty of photos with poor kids, distribute aid and government hand outs from OUR money and please the voters Evita Peron style.

A number of deluded idealist and opportunist support this politicians, from environmentalist, humanitarians of different persuasions and general bleeding hearts and assorted animal and tree huggers. Those are the courtesans that admire the non existing emperor's cloths. They see themselves as the nice guys the "tolerant", the "compassionate". They are ready to make charity with your suburb, your home, your school. Let your kid be bullied because he has a salami sandwich during ramadan . It's your fault because your kid is intollerant with the poor ramadanians.

Another view is that the immigrant brings with him not only bodily functions but also a culture he does not shed at the airport. So it is only logic to choose the behaviour we would like best and the one we like least and facilitate one and hinder the other.

This view, that is applied by every individual at personal level every day in every culture, is considered wrong and "racist" when applied to nations or cultures, because there is this deluded notion that individuals are individuals and that cultures, race, religion and nationalities do not have common behaviours. As we all know, the suicide bombers in Afganistan do so because of their love for pirotechnics.

Of course the above is absurd and a kid in primary school knows it, however there are no politicians brave enough to work around this notion of shared behaviours in a particular culture/religion/nationality and so we have the debacle we have now.

Social calamities like civil war, religious wars, tribal wars, are blamed on some remote tyrant and the cultures from where this tyrant surges and nurtures itself are completely candid and blameless and worthy of support, and asylum since their century long participation in massacres are forgotten. We want their bodily functions here, since clearly they will not contribute further than them, to be serviced by our supermarkets, hospitals and sanitation services in exchange for their vote.

Pathetic really.

Guest guest30038
Have you found Culture in Australia? I may even come back.

A report on the news tonight said that Australians (per capita) are top of the list when it comes to spending time at "cultural" events............they probably roped in footy matches into that research :biglaugh:

Seriously though, I sell my images through Redbubble, and the Oz folks on there seem very "up to date" on what is happening in the world of arts.........very vociferous too o what they see as social injustice.

kev

A report on the news tonight said that Australians (per capita) are top of the list when it comes to spending time at "cultural" events............they probably roped in footy matches into that research :biglaugh:

Seriously though, I sell my images through Redbubble, and the Oz folks on there seem very "up to date" on what is happening in the world of arts.........very vociferous too o what they see as social injustice.

kev

Too much hoity toity snobbery around culture/the arts for me kev,right gang of pretentious b######s half of these so called experts!

I remember that brian sewell halfwit staring intently at a painting of a big black line in a gallery eulogising about how yer could feel the painters angst coming thru in his painting!!!!eh?! what a crock of!

football(socccceeerrrr)is the ULTIMATE culture,it transcends nations,and brings a little ray of sunshine into billions of peoples lives,from the poor people in the favellas of brazil,the shanty towns of africa ,its the ultimate pleasure and singlemost important escape for billions,THATS culture:wubclub:

Too much hoity toity snobbery around culture/the arts for me kev,right gang of pretentious b######s half of these so called experts!

I remember that brian sewell halfwit staring intently at a painting of a big black line in a gallery eulogising about how yer could feel the painters angst coming thru in his painting!!!!eh?! what a crock of!

football(socccceeerrrr)is the ULTIMATE culture,it transcends nations,and brings a little ray of sunshine into billions of peoples lives,from the poor people in the favellas of brazil,the shanty towns of africa ,its the ultimate pleasure and singlemost important escape for billions,THATS culture:wubclub:

Culture is not about snobbery or the arts its about everything around you where ever you go in this world.

In India the culture spacks you straight in the face the colour the smells the people, it's hard to describe culture but when it's there you'll know about it.

Culture is not about snobbery or the arts its about everything around you where ever you go in this world.

In India the culture spacks you straight in the face the colour the smells the people, it's hard to describe culture but when it's there you'll know about it.

Yes culture is what you say,BUT im talking about halfwits like brian sewell and the snobbery around the arts etc ( which is also culture),im not talking about culture as in buildings ,history of a place etc,btw i know culture essex,go to istanbul like i did after we beat you 05,the culture was superb:biggrin:,thx for educating me tho:wink:

Archived