hubby got a job omg melbourne help oakleigh

pau1evs

melbourne friends

omg hubby has got a job in melbourne in oakleigh

looking to find melbourne friends

and help

we are a family of 5 and hubby has got a job which we just cant believe and he is going to have to make the move asap as they want an immediate start

while we wait to get house sold or at least till after xmas to either ship our belongings and wait for house to sell or rent out as last option

is there anyone have any info about melbourne or even in melbourne with a family

as i would love to hear from you even if you would like to pm me xxxx

so many questions !!!!

does anyone now the areas around oakleigh xx is it family friendly !!!!!

how far is mornington and melbourne town and what is the traffic rush like around oakleigh as company vehicle is required

does anyone know of any good rentals for my hubby!!!!! like a studio flat or even guest house accomodation thats not too expensive as there are no lettings on the holiday lettings.co.uk they all seem to be executive accomodation

sorry to so vague as we did our reccie trip in perth and now this has come up we can not let this opportunity pass

sooo many questions can anyone help

thanks carole and family

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Carole

What a lovely area to be working as you have some lovely suburbs around that area. Oakleigh itself is nice, other areas I would look at are: Bentleigh East and McKinnon. The secondary school at McKinnon is excellent.

Mornington is approx 1 hour away and you have a few different routes you could go. This could either be the Monash, Princes Hyway, or the Nepean. Personally I like the Nepean as it is a lovely drive especially if you come down Beach Road. On the train from Oakleigh to Melbourne Central it would take 25 mins, a lot longer driving especially in rush hour.

Hi Carole

First take a deep breath!!! Better?? Glass of wine/your favourite tipple may do the trick. Welcome to the rollercoaster ride of your life. Keep in touch with Kate - she can read minds sometimes!!! Seriously, if you want to PM me then no worries we are heading to Melbourne in the next two months and have decided to rent our house out - money wise a bit of a risk for us but we have a lifetime ahead to worry about that! We are heading to the west of Melbourne but wish you well on your adventure. For what its worth we liked the look of Lyndhurst and Cranbourne but decided it was a bit further out than we wanted to be.

Take care Karen

Try not to let panic and worry take away the joy from this good news. It will be ok. this is where the adventure begins. Sorry don't know anything about melbourne but just bumping this up for you.

Congratulations by the way, try to enjoy the time left in uk the best you can.

Just wanted to say that I live in Cheltenham not that far from Oakleigh - hope all goes well, I have no kids (not here anyway), I am 44 and my hubbie is 43 , good luck :biggrin:

many thanks for your post have you been there long xxx

is oakleigh expensive for house prices !!!

thanks

carole x

Guest wanderer

I had my tonsils out at Oakleigh when I was a kid about half a century ago and though a lot has happened sice then Oakleigh itself has probably not changed all that much, a fairly conservative area you could say that is neither inner suburban nor outer suburbs but was 50 years back.

The biggest thing in the area which no one has mentioned is The Mega Chadstone Shopping Centre which is a city in itself that you can easily get lost in and Oakleigh has more of a village style SC which probably dies a fair bit as Chadstone developed but a lot of the village SCs are getting popular again.

There's plenty of schools in the immediate area and you've got the famous Melbourne Sand Belt Golf Courses very close to the SE, Tiger Woods out here right now and most impressed he is and also impressive.

Closest to Oakleigh you've got Huntingdale to the east , Dingley to SE and Hughesdale and Carnegie to the west towards the CBD and Chadstone to the sort of NW towards where the SC is.

Have a look on www.domain.com.au to see what's available re flats for hub if he is coming alone initially or I;d imagine a company making an offer would put him up in a motel for a week or so and he'll probably be better waiting until arrival and getting to a few real estate agents to see what they have listed.

Domain will also give you an idea of house prices and long time since I looked thereabouts but I'd reckon you'll be starting above .5m for anything good and going up the closer towards Melbourne or Bayside suburbs you go.

Use a site like Melbourne Victoria Australia - visitvictoria.com The official travel and accommodation site for Melbourne Victoria Australia and you'll have maps and other info to orientate yourself.

Also use Google Earth and you can zoom in to see what the layout of the land is, and by cross referencing to maps you can get to know a place pretty well as far as what's there even before arrival.

many thanks guys hubby flight is booked for 21st nov the company he working for has basically said right you start on 30th nov see you then although i think they worried we want sponcership which we dont want xxxxx

still looking for accomodation we shall get there in the end XXXXXX

thanks carole

Archived