Honeymoon trip to East Coast - any suggestions?

Guest wobob

Hello everyone

My husband-to-be and I are planning on having our honeymoon in Oz next December (its also doubling as a bit of a reccie). We're planning on flying to Sydney, staying a few days there, hiring a campervan to go down the coast to Melbourne over about 7 days, then stay 4/5 days in Melbourne (thats where we're planning on living if we ever get a visa!) and then flying up to Airlie Beach for a final chill out over Christmas.

Are there any things people could recommend we do to make our honeymoon extra special? I've read about so many things to do/see and I know we won't be able to fit everything in (although I will be spending an entire day going round Queen Victoria Market :jiggy:). All suggestions are much appreciated :smile: x

Definately see the Great Barrier Reef, unbeleivable!

Yep, definitely doing a day trip out to the reef - unfortunately I have problems with my ears which means I can't go diving but I will be doing some snorkelling hopefully.

Hi

If you are planning on going to Airlie Beach then you will definitely have to do a sailing trip in the Whitsunday Islands. We did a four night trip a few years ago and it was fantastic. We sailed with Prosail and they were great.

Enjoy!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Paussie

If you're doing the Sydney-Melbourne route via the Princes Hwy, I can advise on local things to see / do along, at least, part of it. Visitors to Eurobodalla region (five hours south of Sydney, 8-9 hours from Melbourne) say that it's very unspoilt and picturesque.

It depends what you like the idea of. If you like outdoor sports etc, there's something here. Also, if you're into a quiet day's fishing or just looking at pretty things, it's pretty much spot on. Also depending on what time of the year you're here, you can go whale-watching on one of the local tour boats too, which is a great day out.

If you're coming for the shopping, drive straight through and don't even bother honking ;)

Can definitely recommend seeing Whitehaven Beach in the Whitsundays

It's in the worlds top 10 Beaches and it is gorgeous - You can take a seaplane out there and have a picnic - Go at a quiet time and you could get the place to yourselves for a while (if you are lucky)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hello,

this is very good that you want to make your honeymoon at east coast.Bar Harbor & Rockland Harbor are both great. As for finding cool stuff between Boston and Maine, I totally endorse the idea of just driving north along the coast and randomly stumbling upon cool stuff. It'll be nice in the summertime, so go wander on a lot of beaches and eat plenty of crab cakes!

thanks

________

Definatley if you are heading to Airlie beach, consider staying out on one of the islands for a couple of nights. Check out Peppers Palm Bay, Long Island, for a laid back beautiful retreat! (of course I am a little bias as I work there!!) And I agree with the above about Whitehaven and sailing/diving - not to be missed!!!!

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Unfortunately our honeymoon plans are going to have to take a back seat because *bounces with excitement* H2B got a positive skills assessment today (CSL!) so it looks like when we head over to the beautiful land Down Under it will be for good (hopefully). Can't possibly afford a big honeymoon now we're starting the visa process proper.

I've saved all your suggestions and when we do have our delayed honeymoon we will definitely be doing as many things as we can :o)

hello,

this is very good that you want to make your honeymoon at east coast.Bar Harbor & Rockland Harbor are both great. As for finding cool stuff between Boston and Maine, I totally endorse the idea of just driving north along the coast and randomly stumbling upon cool stuff. It'll be nice in the summertime, so go wander on a lot of beaches and eat plenty of crab cakes!______

Not only wrong country, Angila - wrong continent!

Hi

I hope you enjoyed your honeymoon!!!!

I've been to Jervis Bay too and have to say it's soooooo lovely there and the views' are to die for, my oh and I are also looking at going to the NE coast for our honeymoon later this year, only we were looking the other night at places to stay for 10 nights or so, (perhaps more or less), and we couldn't get a hell of a lot of information on places - unless you wanted to pay the earth for it!!! Can anyone recommend some nice, basic and reasonable accommodation around the barrier reef way possibly as north as Cairns??

Hi

I've been to Jervis Bay too and have to say it's soooooo lovely there and the views' are to die for, my oh and I are also looking at going to the NE coast for our honeymoon later this year, only we were looking the other night at places to stay for 10 nights or so, (perhaps more or less), and we couldn't get a hell of a lot of information on places - unless you wanted to pay the earth for it!!! Can anyone recommend some nice, basic and reasonable accommodation around the barrier reef way possibly as north as Cairns??

Try Tripadvisor - just type in the area you want to stay e.g. Airlie Beach and it will bring up the most popular and highly rated places to stay - and show the the places to avoid! It gives you the average room price so you don't waste your time looking at places out of your budget.

Hope that helps :smile:

We had a quick look on trip advisor when we were searching, but perhaps we're not well versed in it enough to find the intricate details......we'll give it another bash tonight when oh gets home, shall mention Airlie beach to him too as it sounds wonderful!!!!

Thanks guys!!!

Hey,

First of all Congratulations on your forth-coming nuptials!! We considered this as a reccie/honeymoon August '09, but it wasn't to be - obviously I havent been here but we really wanted to do this on our honeymoon if doing the East Coast honeymoon - check out Bloomfield Lodge Bloomfield Lodge Home - Bloomfield Lodge - Beautifully Remote - Trailfinders the Travel Experts

I know you mentioned travelling to Melbourne etc ... Ideal, but if you fancy going north to Cairns, a private chartered flight out to the rainforest for a few days rest and respite (it is your honeymoon afterall) to Bloomfield Lodge, I reckon would be amazing!! Private tours to the great barrier reef etc ... check out the website, quite pricey - but worth it for a few days between travel I would say.

Good luck - Im so jealous, wish I was getting married again!!!

x x x

Just re-read your posts... a delayed honeymoon will be worth it for permanent relocation!! We're just married 5months, never quite managed the reccie - but looking forward to the adventure all the same ... might have a second honeymoon on our anniversary & visit Bloomfield cos I missed out first time round!!

x x x

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi everyone,

here in the uk we are spoilt for choice, with places like Scarbro, Whitby, Bridlington and Skegness, beats the places you mention hands down, i bet they don't do chips, mushy peas and gravy for 2quid, where your going, just read this and weap. lol

jim freezing in the uk.

Hi

On The Beach Apartments at Trinity Beach, nice, clean, basic self catering apartments. We stayed there for a week on our honeymoon in 2008. Its a little bit out of Cairns, but closer to Port Douglas for Barrier Reef trips and Daintree. Close for Kuranda Railway and the AJ Hackett bungee site. oh and it is on the beach too.

On The Beach Apartments at Trinity Beach, nice, clean, basic self catering apartments. We stayed there for a week on our honeymoon in 2008. Its a little bit out of Cairns, but closer to Port Douglas for Barrier Reef trips and Daintree. Close for Kuranda Railway and the AJ Hackett bungee site. oh and it is on the beach too.

Thanks for that, I think we're heading toward the idea of Cairns/Port Douglas way as we've been getting alot of feedback and recommendations from oh's family when we've asked for advice and what their opinions were of the area, so I have a feeling we'll be hunting for places up that way!!!

Ppxx

• 4 weeks later...

Archived