are we crazy??????

johnd

we are definatley going back to uk , but if we hang around another 3 or 4 months we will get citizenship, ( my wife has already recieved her approved letter ). but we have two viewings this week on the house , and if we sell it quick then i feel like we should just go. i have hardly worked since may and i am sick of this place, i do have a good chance of a job when we get back, so why not go now?. i am 40 and its my 3rd time in oz since i was 21, ( 1st time 12mnths, 2nd 6mnths and this time 2 and a half years), so i think i can draw a line under the 'oz' experience. i just havnt settled and it has dragged my wife down to the point that she cannot wait to get back to uk and get some sort of normality. i do feel glad that we have done it and have enjoyed some of our time here....but god i am bored!!!. i have never really 'got' australia. i always feel 'alien' and a little odd here. so what do you think, go now or wait?.

Guest proud2beaussie

To be frank my opinion is that if you are not happy here then go now if you can,and to be honest I can't see why you would want to go to the expense of obtaining citizenship if you aren't happy living here.

Good luck with your decision and future.

I'm with Nigel - if you dont think you will ever need to get back here - and you have certainly done the pingponging with style - then dont bother about the citizenship. Of course, if it happens that your house doesnt sell before you get to the citizenship point then that is a bit of a sign I suppose. But on the positive side there do seem to be quite a few good house sales with returning expats of late so hopefully you will be able to head off sooner rather than later.

Good luck - I know just that alien feeling and it doesnt go away! Hope you can find a nice niche in UK!

Sorry guys i disagree. This would be how i view the situation if it was me.

With the time, effort and money we put into making the move i would definately hang on for citizenship, more for my kids than anything. The main reason for us moving was to give them a better upbringing, so just because myself as an adult didn't like what i found across the ocean ,i would want to ensure my kids had a choice of where to live when they are older without them having to jump through all the hoops we did and part with the thousands of pounds of like we did.

(If your wife already has her acceptance letter then i presume you have already done the test and submitted your citizenship papers,so you would have no more financial outlay in order to become a citizen.)

If it meant moving back into temporary rented accommodation or a hotel (and treating it like a holiday) i would let the house sell and do it.

So many people get back to England and then within a few months start to think ''actually Oz wasnt that bad'' and return or want to return, you would kick yourselves for not taking the citizenship when you could.

As i say this is just my take on it and of course it is based on having children.

Cal x

Guest JoanneHattersley

I agree with Cal. You`ve been back here three times. Whats to say you might not revisit again? For the sake of a few months get citizenship and you will always be able to come here.

Give yourself that option should you need it................never say never!

You HAVE to get your citizenship first. We have just been back to the UK for a holiday and I can tell you it ain't no party - dull and grey with crap weather. The recession is still really evident but you will be able to pick up a cheap house Family may draw you back though and I wouldn't try and persuade you to stay in a country that you feel you don't belong. I understand it's a lot more familar and comfortable in the UK, or back home as I still call it. Anyway, you never know what the future holds, so what's a couple of months out of your life to wait for the citizenship.

have you thought of trying another state ,what is your job any country with no work would get you down i would definitely stay for the citizenship then you can always do as you please for the rest of your life even if you never come back here you will still have the choice. There seems to be alot of work in perth and its only going to get better

Guest rachellh
we are definatley going back to uk , but if we hang around another 3 or 4 months we will get citizenship, ( my wife has already recieved her approved letter ). but we have two viewings this week on the house , and if we sell it quick then i feel like we should just go. i have hardly worked since may and i am sick of this place, i do have a good chance of a job when we get back, so why not go now?. i am 40 and its my 3rd time in oz since i was 21, ( 1st time 12mnths, 2nd 6mnths and this time 2 and a half years), so i think i can draw a line under the 'oz' experience. i just havnt settled and it has dragged my wife down to the point that she cannot wait to get back to uk and get some sort of normality. i do feel glad that we have done it and have enjoyed some of our time here....but god i am bored!!!. i have never really 'got' australia. i always feel 'alien' and a little odd here. so what do you think, go now or wait?.

I can completely relate to you wanting to leave, but I'd say wait it out for the sake of a few months. We're leaving next July, but I wouldn't go without getting my citizenship first. Mainly because my hubby is an Aussie, but also because I want to give my kids the option of returning later on in life ... and because you simply never know what's round the corner or how you'll feel in 20 years.

Rachel :biggrin:

I'm not there yet but if it were me I would go for the citizenship, as pp said even if its just to allow yur children the choice as they grow. We are embarking onthis as a temporary move to experience a new life, but i wuld like to stay long enough to gain citizenship, if this becomes longer then great but who knows what life will bring, even if its just used to retire to the sun, or maybe you could use it to get easier access to another country (not sure if there are any countries that accept Oz citizens over Briti ish cittizens etc but you never know) I am currently on maternity leave and due to go back in 3 months and already it feels like I go back next week and I am getting quite upset about it, so 3 months really isn't that long. You may never use it but hey its better to have something than to have to jump through hoops again. What is wrong with ping ponging if it gets you what you want from life at that point in your life

thanks for the replies everyone, i suppose it would make sense to fet it. workwise , ( i am a steel fabricator, but i have found it difficult working in oz for various reasons), we will find something eventually in the uk , i have no doubt, but we have realised coming here that we dont like the beach that much or eating outside, flies,flies!!!, we both find the heat a problem and despite really trying we havnt made that many friends. but deep down after our trip back to the uk we thought what the f**k are we doing in oz. great place to bring up kids but me and my wife cant have kids, so thats thats. lovely place oz but just not for us.as for moving to another state i have lived in perth before and my wife doesnt likeit there, i found it too hot, and anyway all the moving expense!, no time to cut my losses.

on the situation of citizenship, i was told by an immigration official that you really should leave oz on an oz passport, is she being a jobsworth, or could we do our pledge ceromony then literally jump in a cab to the airport?. because if we just need the cerificate whats the point of paying $xxxx for a passport i'll never probably use, if needed i could just get one in uk?.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi,

we are interested in the passport situation and we are thinking about going to OZ for the adventure of it and getting citizenship for us all especially our kids because the UK is heading in a downward spiral and having a get out of jail card- the UK, is a fantastic thing to have and when you get back to the UK you will know just what i mean. Getting back to the passport situation once you become citizens do you HAVE to get an Australian passport to get out of the country, or will your UK passport suffice. It is highly unlikely that if you leave the next day after gaining citizenship the OZ airports will have this info, or will they. Also if you ever want to return to OZ bearing in mind you are a citizen will you HAVE to have an OZ passport. I just don't know the true ins and outs, does anyone else. jim.

Guest nick gaughan

Well john I would wait to get the citizenship you have stuck it this long, at least if you do that you can come and go as you please, my wife and I were trying to do just that !!! but lost my job last week so my 457 will be out in 28 days so now we have to GO back but alas have to say we have felt alien here too many a time !!!

Hi,

we are interested in the passport situation and we are thinking about going to OZ for the adventure of it and getting citizenship for us all especially our kids because the UK is heading in a downward spiral and having a get out of jail card- the UK, is a fantastic thing to have and when you get back to the UK you will know just what i mean. Getting back to the passport situation once you become citizens do you HAVE to get an Australian passport to get out of the country, or will your UK passport suffice. It is highly unlikely that if you leave the next day after gaining citizenship the OZ airports will have this info, or will they. Also if you ever want to return to OZ bearing in mind you are a citizen will you HAVE to have an OZ passport. I just don't know the true ins and outs, does anyone else. jim.

Hi, would also like to know the answer to this, as our son has gained OZ citizenship but has just applied to get a new U.K. passport , thinking he would be able to travel around Europe and maybe live again in the U.k. for a while if he want's in the futrure, does this mean he has to go to the expense of getting an OZ passport now also when he want's to come back to OZ?

Also OH and I are just waiting for the ceremony now to gain our's with the thought of returning to U.K. but giving us the opportunity to return if we wanted..do we now have to apply for OZ passport's as well now before we leave?? appreciate any advice.:wink:

Guest rachellh
thanks for the replies everyone, i suppose it would make sense to fet it. workwise , ( i am a steel fabricator, but i have found it difficult working in oz for various reasons), we will find something eventually in the uk , i have no doubt, but we have realised coming here that we dont like the beach that much or eating outside, flies,flies!!!, we both find the heat a problem and despite really trying we havnt made that many friends. but deep down after our trip back to the uk we thought what the f**k are we doing in oz. great place to bring up kids but me and my wife cant have kids, so thats thats. lovely place oz but just not for us.as for moving to another state i have lived in perth before and my wife doesnt likeit there, i found it too hot, and anyway all the moving expense!, no time to cut my losses.

on the situation of citizenship, i was told by an immigration official that you really should leave oz on an oz passport, is she being a jobsworth, or could we do our pledge ceromony then literally jump in a cab to the airport?. because if we just need the cerificate whats the point of paying $xxxx for a passport i'll never probably use, if needed i could just get one in uk?.

I'd just get the certificate and leave if I were you. Your wife came in on a GP passport so she would be able to leave on one. Like you said, if you want an Oz passport you can always apply for one in the UK with your citizenship certificate.

Can't blame you for wanting to get away, bloody flies are back out and they make going out even for a 5 min walk unpleasant!

Good luck!

Hi there, Dont panick you do have permanent residency ,so you can come backwards and fowards to oz as much as u like ,all you will need is an RRV .:err:

Thanks for your reply, we do have permanent residency, visa expires in 2010, after that as far as I know we cant just come and go but have to live in OZ again for a certain period each time to keep the visa viable hence the reason we have now applied for Citizenship, look's like will just have to cough up for an OZ passport ...does anyone know how easy it is to apply for an OZ passport with your Citizenship certificate from the U.K. many thanks.

Guest rachellh
Thanks for your reply, we do have permanent residency, visa expires in 2010, after that as far as I know we cant just come and go but have to live in OZ again for a certain period each time to keep the visa viable hence the reason we have now applied for Citizenship, look's like will just have to cough up for an OZ passport ...does anyone know how easy it is to apply for an OZ passport with your Citizenship certificate from the U.K. many thanks.

We applied for my son to get his citizenship (by descent) before leaving the UK. Once we had the certificate we took this to Australia House to apply for his passport. If it's your first passport you have to apply in person. It didn't take very long to come through and it was all very painless - and meant a day out in London!

There's more info about it here: Passports FAQs - Australian High Commission

I'd say just get your citizenship certificate and then go home. Once you are back in the UK, if and when you need an Aussie passport you can just go and get one. It's the certificate you really need after all.

And you're right, being PR doesn't mean you can come back whenever you want!

Hope that helps.

IF it was us i would be looking at getting citizenship considering now its a 4 year waiting period even on a 175 independant visa like we came on, i love it here, now living in Sunshine coast and not Melbourne it was far to busy for us, we love the life here in qld and we want to give our children a choice of where they would like to live once they are older, at the moment THE KIDS DONT EVEN WANT TO THINK ABOUT ENGLAND they love it here like we do

Hi John, the work situation is really bad in Uk at the minute, Im a steel fabricator also and not found anything since April.Thinking of going back to Oz in january if it doesnt pick up.

Whats the work situation like in Oz at the minute and where are you guys based?

we are in the illawarra, 110 kms south of sydney. to be honest i cant do the fabrication thing here the heat, well i can take it and i find the whole workplace situation here so alien from uk that i dont feel comfortable. we are going back for family an friends and i do have a chance of a start when i get back, if not i know we will find something as i am prepared to do anything esle as well as the boilermaking thing , done it before, and i am delivering furniture 2 days week here to get a bit of cash. we'll get our citizenship then we are off, thats it!

• 2 months later...

Archived