Seeing a Man about a Dog

Guest Abi&Dan

Guest Abi&Dan

You know, for years I thought that was literal!

Anyway, I have heard some worrying things regarding dogs in Oz and was wondering what people's experience was.

I have heard that there's not really anywhere to walk your dog and the Aussie's are not especial dog lovers like the Brits are. Can anyone confirm or deny this based on personal experience?

We want Melbourne but would be interested to know about different areas all over Oz.

We are definitely dog lovers and would be gutted if having a dog was impractical. It would definitely colour our choice of destination if some states are more dog friendly than others!

Also, is there any issue with letting your dog off the lead? I'm thinking of poisonous things in the grass, restrictions on beaches etc. I hate to see a dog never let off the lead.

Thanks all x

Guest tinbasher

HI Abi

I heard the same before we came and did wonder whether we should bring our dog with us. It was the best thing we ever did. Loads of Aussies have dogs, loads of English people have bought dogs since being here. In Adelaide we even have a park just for dogs!! Plus they can go on the beach and in the parks. If you can afford it I would say defo bring your best pal. You won't regret it.

Mrs TinB:wub:

Guest Abi&Dan

That's brilliant news - we'll just have to make sure we pick somewhere near such places - it's just good to know they are about - thanks Mrs T x

Hiya ,,nearly everyone has dogs here ,but like most foreign countrys they dont seem to treat pets the same as english ,,i have heard quite a few times ''its easier to shoot em than pay vets bills'' ,,it reminds of spain in that sense.As long as you keep your dog fenced on your property and have a licence from the council to keep it you should have no problems ,cant speak for all areas but around here theres loads of places to walk a dog ,,hope this helps

Cal x

p.s ,,Queensland licence prices are set to rise to $80 pr yr for sexed dogs and $30 for de-sexed ,,i believe de-sexing here is expensive so check out prices in the uk if necessary

I don't have a dog, but have seen loads of people walking their dogs here and haven't stepped in any dog muck yet so people must clean up after them!!

I think I heard that there is a limit to the number of dogs you can own and i've noticed here in perth a couple of kennel zones, I'm assuming that people just can't set up a kennels anywhere.

We brought our cat with us and are really glad we did. At 16 she's probably not got long left (but may surprise us and live another till she's 20!).

Ali

In Adelaide people love dogs! Fried, boiled, roasted...just can't get enough of them!:cute:

Nah, not really! They do love them, though I am sometimes a bit shocked by the differences. For example it's standard to be able to buy a puppy from a pet shop, and the turnover in puppies is really fast. It's also standard for there to be a huge increase in dogs needing re-homing in Jan/Feb! It seems to me that dogs tend to be left in the yard, and I think the dogs enjoy it as the weather is so good. Provided they have shade etc. That said, some just have them as yard dogs and they can be a bit yappy and neglected.

As for the majority of dogs, they seem to be treated as family members, just as they would be anywhere. In my home this means they are locked in cupboards and made to eat my cooking.:mask:

People tend to greet you when you walk round, specially if you have a doggy companion. Or they might swear if said companion is locked on their leg. When we go to the beach, which we do a lot, you see drifts of people and their dogs. It's really fab. Walking dogs off the leash on our beaches is only ok out of daylight savings, otherwise you can only walk them off-leash before 10am and after 8pm, except on a few nominated beaches.

Cal's right about desexing! It cost us around $150 for each of our dogs, but a friend's rotty cost her $450!!! Vet's bills are also high, although probably the same as anywhere. When our cocker spaniel had a knee problem, surgery cost $1200!!!! Our dogs are now insured! I have heard people say they would kill their dog rather than pay for surgery, but I think that's just them being macho. Although the reply my friend gave was to warn her OH that he'd better never need life-support...:rolleyes:

Ok, now you're all :SLEEP: I'll get my hat...

Sorry,

Yours rambling-ly, LC

Guest koala12

Hi

From what I have seen so far the Aussies are just as mad about their dogs as we Brits are and so many people have them. We bought a puppy since we've been here and when I take him out for a walk he always finds a friendly pooch to sniff! The difference I think here is that people seem to be more responsible regarding their dogs as most people seem to clean up after them (you see them walking around with plastic bags!) and there is very little dog poo about. Also microchipping is compulsory and you have to register the dog within 6 months and it's cheaper if you have them desexed - well that's in NSW not sure about other states. Dog's aren't allowed on the beaches (although there is one around where I live where you can take them!) but you can walk them along the promenade in most places.You can take them to the park and let them off the lead if you want.

Hope that helps - Karen

Hi there

My son and his in-laws have three dogs between them, and are treated like family members.

There are plenty of walking areas in Melbourne,but are quite strict about keeping them on leads except in designated parks. Dogs can be taken on the beach but can only run free on certain beaches and at certain times.

Apparently it is compulsory to carry at least two doggy poo bags when out walking plus a poop scoop. Fines are hefty.

Hope this helps

Mike and Connie

Guest Abi&Dan

Thanks guys - all dead useful (and LC - as ever :biglaugh: )

It's actually good to know that they sound pretty responsible on the whole (there'll always be exceptions of course) with chipping and licences etc - I think I have read on a site somewhere that you can only have 3 dogs without a special licence - where I presume they check up on you.

Archived