Anyone "Happy" with the Aussie lifestyle?

Guest biohacker

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well then, go to the Northern territory, or any of the Australian states. There are caves and overhangs where the Aboriginal culture is vastly older than any place in UK...And they contain art galleries, too!!:wink:

How old is Australian Rock Art? - Aboriginal Art Online

Cheers, Bobj.

Yes but it's not white English history so it don't count..... Anyway Australia's history is just over 200 years old gee don't you know that and here i was thinking you got wiser as you got older!!! LOL

Guest sooveroz
We have nice house (just sold it) in nice area in nice part of UK and work is picking up. Just want to have an adventure go live somewhere differant may be for good maybe not.

I looked around me and see where my country is heading and don't want to live here anymore.

this is more or less why we went to australia - a bit of an adventure and see a bit of the world before the rugrats got to high school age. enjoyed probably first year or so - going to the beach, having a barbie, exploring our surrounding area and some far away bits too - generally feeling like a holiday. i didnt work to begin with as we had no grandparents to help with child care and after school care costs made it not worth it to work. so that probably added to the holiday mode.

after a year started to feel like - can't be bothered with the beach - an hour getting foor, drinks, cossies, plastered in suncream, body boards, towels, goggles, seats, rug, wet wipes,etc drive there - 20 minutes to unpack car and set up. 40 mintues swimming, eating, fighting off flies, wiping of sand (as usually windy at the beach in perth). start to feel as if we are burning and need to get out of the sun - 30 minutes to shower, pack up car, drive home. 20 minutes to unpack car, wash sand of everything, unpack hot uneaten food and drinks, wash out esky, rinse sand out of clothes, brush up sand - f*k that for a daily occurence when extreme heat prevents you actually having a day out.

we also did the barbie thing, bring a plate and all that. stand with a bunch of strangers who mainly ignore you - everyone tends to stand in their own groups (blokes at one side, mums at the other) and you dont even always get introduced to the host - it was torture at times but we wanted to make new friends.

after 18 months had done all the "attractions" at least 3 times and found most of them to be a shabby rip-off. go to hilary's on a bank holiday and its like christmas eve on a uk street - its so busy cos there's no where else to go. fremantle markets - 50% asian souvenir stalls selling tat. but sitting out the front for a drink is nice and ususally a band on - but again getting a seat is hard.

regarding your last statement - many australians would also say that about australia. watching the news here has the exact same stories as the uk - immigration, drugs, gangs, binge drinking, MPs expense scandal, footy players beating up their girlfriends, police going out in 3's owing to gangs, bus driver loses eye after being attacked, bricks thrown at firemen attending house fire, child abduction, terrorism, homelessness........i could go on but you get my point. come for the experience and adventure but dont be mistaken into thinking things in uk not also prevalent here.

Guest LondonGal
If you are so deluded as to label an entire region or country as 'dull' without explanation or debate then no wonder you are 'bored'. Get a bleedin life. Not directed at any one in particular like-before I get jumped on and called bitchy and vocal...just my opinion like...I'm dead nice me..wheres Pablo when you need him. ...

I don’t think anyone who posts in the MBTTUK forum has labelled an entire region or country dull without explanation or debate Fiona. It’s been explained and debated so many times on here that frankly it’s…………boring now.

This part of the forum is here for people who have come to Australia and decided they don’t like what they see, to chat to other’s feeling the same way and have a bit of friendly banter with the “Happy Expats”.

I am glad you are happy here, long may it continue, but many people are not. They don’t have to justify or explain to anyone why they are not happy or why they don't like Australia. If they do and you don’t agree with them it doesn’t make them boring or dull as you like to constantly label them.

Guest guest17301

Thats funny I felt like it was me that was being labelled for daring to have an opinion and actually liking Perth. The presumption that because we have not been here for long we will eventually realise how dull it is rankles a bit as it would if I were to presume the same about returnees to England. Anyway lets just leave it there, this forum quickly descends into childhood antics and I'm a grown woman. Apologies if any of my posts have offended but when feeling offended oneself you tend to retaliate. Each to their own and I wish you every happiness, truly.

Guest biohacker
this is more or less why we went to australia - a bit of an adventure and see a bit of the world before the rugrats got to high school age. enjoyed probably first year or so - going to the beach, having a barbie, exploring our surrounding area and some far away bits too - generally feeling like a holiday. i didnt work to begin with as we had no grandparents to help with child care and after school care costs made it not worth it to work. so that probably added to the holiday mode............

Thanks for taking the time, sincere opinion.

Guest biohacker
Thats funny I felt like it was me that was being labelled for daring to have an opinion and actually liking Perth. The presumption that because we have not been here for long we will eventually realise how dull it is rankles a bit as it would if I were to presume the same about returnees to England. Anyway lets just leave it there, this forum quickly descends into childhood antics and I'm a grown woman. Apologies if any of my posts have offended but when feeling offended oneself you tend to retaliate. Each to their own and I wish you every happiness, truly.

Your opinions are welcome. I watched some pictures of Perth and it looks like a paradise. Nothing to do with some other cities.

Hi Fiona, I was not offended at your posts in any way and I hope my post on page 5 in which i went on a bit with the typing did'nt offend you, I was just giving my opinion on some things and just some of the reasons Perth is classed as Dullsville by some people on issues that may be big to some people and petty to others.

I also just want to say that when I said about having drinkies out the back and enjoying yourself at home instead of paying big money to go out, I said it is not about where you are it is about the company, I meant about the lifestlye of Perth and that is what alot of Perth people enjoy there own backyards.:yes:

Hope you are enjoying your holidays, sorry for sh#te weather over the last few days

Cheer Laney:huh:

Yes but it's not white English history so it don't count..... Anyway Australia's history is just over 200 years old gee don't you know that and here i was thinking you got wiser as you got older!!! LOL

I've got a little wooden carving older than Australa (or so the looky looky man told me):biggrin:

I've got a little wooden carving older than Australa (or so the looky looky man told me):biggrin:

Wow!! That IS old, then...:yes:

"Australia is commonly known as the oldest continent. Zircons dated between 4,300 and 4,200 million years have been found in the Archean rocks of the Mt Narryer area of Western Australia, and the microfossils and stromatolites of the Pilbara, also in WA, are amongst the earliest known life on Earth.

Cheers, Bobj.

You wouldn't be discrimminating...would you??

Cheers, Bobj.

Wow!! That IS old, then...:yes:

"Australia is commonly known as the oldest continent. Zircons dated between 4,300 and 4,200 million years have been found in the Archean rocks of the Mt Narryer area of Western Australia, and the microfossils and stromatolites of the Pilbara, also in WA, are amongst the earliest known life on Earth.

Cheers, Bobj.

Aww Bob... I didn't want you to fall for that one.. That great big lump of bull dust has only been "Australia" since those nasty poms arrived with their sausages.

To biohacker:

Mate, hope you enjoyed the banter; no offence meant when we went offcourse.

Actually, these...er...blokes are in awe of the majesty of this magnificent land...Except for Tracy123...Blackburn must be fascinating now. Wasn't when I was there 50 years ago:no:

Anyhow,mate, you try and get over to Australia, and bring me one of those gorgeous emeralds from the Muzo mines, hey?

Emerald Mines in Muzo, Colombia

Cheers, Bobj.

I recommend Sydney. They have a huge spanish speaking population, mostly from South America. The Spanish club in Sydney are really welcoming, even to people like me, just going along to learn some spanish and take some dance classes. How about having a chat with some of them in their online forum? The Spanish Club. One thing for sure about the Latin American people I met in Sydney - they really know how to have fun.

You would probably have no trouble getting a visa to move to Australia. Engineers of most descriptions usually don't. One thing I really enjoyed about Australia compared to back here in the UK (well in Sydney at least, and to a lesser extent in Melbourne) is how, if you want to experience most cultures, you don't need to go anywhere - you can experience everything all within the one city. And can afford to do so. Over here, when people want to experience all things spanish, they go to Spain for the weekend. Okay - only an hour away and £29 each way, but a bit over the top (imho) compared to just popping down to the spanish club.....

Mate!!! 46 years in Australia, well, on the 17th of September...And it still holds a fascination that makes me marvel. Its diversity is absolutely remarkable. All one has to do is to get out of the house, pub or, whatever and to try and enjoy the things that are happening... Take the pub away from a pom and the poor bugga is lost, hopelessly lost.:wink:

Make your own enjoyment, all it takes is the ability to GET OUT DOORS.

1.Ever seen glowworms, fireflies, or even glowing mushrooms in a rainforest at night?

2.Ever hand fed wild ducks, rainbow lorikeets, or even wild wallabies?

3.Ever had to lay on your back to see the tops of trees 300 ft high?

4.Ever watched a sunset while tropical palms are gently swaying in the balmy breezes?

5.Ever...well...So much to see and do and so little time...

Pass me another tissue please, Mum...:cry:

Cheers, Bobj.

1.No but I've seen a Ptarmigan(Mountain bird) change colour before my eyes.

2.Hand fed wild canadian geese at local park.I have seen a rare red squirrel taking a nut from two feet away.

3.Touched the battle scars of a castle thats 400 years old.

4.Yes,on the Isle of Arran watched the sunset at 10-30 pm whilst sitting on the beach with a fire crackling away beside me.

I've done all these things in Scotland in my lifetime,it's the British mentality of thinking the grass is greener.

It may be for some but for others,home is where the light summer nights and the heart is.

2.Hand fed wild canadian geese at local park.I have seen a rare red squirrel taking a nut from two feet away.

4.Yes,on the Isle of Arran watched the sunset at 10-30 pm whilst sitting on the beach with a fire crackling away beside me.

I've done all these things in Scotland in my lifetime,it's the British mentality of thinking the grass is greener.

It may be for some but for others,home is where the light summer nights and the heart is.

Well said. It never ceases to amaze me when people talk about all the 'amazing' things that you can do in Australia, which if your not there to experience them then some how your losing out big style. I've just returned from 8 months in Sydney and am so glad to be back. I arrived in Sydney in Jan, it was so hot for weeks that it was not enjoyable at all. I also became bored pretty quickly and it takes a lot for me to become bored believe me. I am so looking forward to hill walking in Wales in the Autumn and seeing the first frosts again and the mists rising in the Welsh Valleys and experiencing the seasons again. I am just so glad to be back home.

Daz

Well said. It never ceases to amaze me when people talk about all the 'amazing' things that you can do in Australia, which if your not there to experience them then some how your losing out big style. I've just returned from 8 months in Sydney and am so glad to be back. I arrived in Sydney in Jan, it was so hot for weeks that it was not enjoyable at all. I also became bored pretty quickly and it takes a lot for me to become bored believe me. I am so looking forward to hill walking in Wales in the Autumn and seeing the first frosts again and the mists rising in the Welsh Valleys and experiencing the seasons again. I am just so glad to be back home.

Daz

Good luck with your new life Daz, come on tell the truth if it wasn't too hot it would of been to cold etc

If you enjoy nature walking etc how could of you been bored?

Not having a go just don't understand, Like i say good luck and all the best

Good luck with your new life Daz, come on tell the truth if it wasn't too hot it would of been to cold etc

If you enjoy nature walking etc how could of you been bored?

Not having a go just don't understand, Like i say good luck and all the best

I'll explain the nature walking thing if you want Tracy123.

In Australia you have no water flowing down the sides of your mountains for drinking(Scotland does),there are a plethora of snakes ,ticks and other creepy crawlies that will be present and very dangerous or deadly, should you come across them(Scotland doesn't).

In Australia the heat is just too damn hot to walk to the wheelie bin in most months of the year let alone walk up a mountain and back down.

I rest my case.

I'll explain the nature walking thing if you want Tracy123.

In Australia you have no water flowing down the sides of your mountains for drinking(Scotland does),

there are a plethora of snakes ,ticks and other creepy crawlies that will be present and very dangerous or deadly, should you come across them(Scotland doesn't).

In Australia the heat is just too damn hot to walk to the wheelie bin in most months of the year let alone walk up a mountain and back down.

I rest my case.

Barab

Is it worth it?????????????? must be because here i am typing away.

So no mountains in Australia have water flowing down them? Try bottled water works for most people if thats the case.

Yes Australia has snakes, spiders and all manner of things that can kill you, it's part of the Aussie wildlife and anyone coming to Australia would know this........ But these animals don't come looking for you it's all about awareness really, would you not agree?

Depends what parts of Australia you live really, we also get snow in some states if you want to live in Queensland expect the heat (yes he was in NSW) its all about doing your homework really don't like the heat try a southern state.

Thanks for explaining nature walking to me Barab that walking through nature was called nature walking i must admit i was struggling with that 1............

Nothing wrong with Australia not being right for someone.

Forgot to add

I thought you Scottish lot were bred tough? I wouldn't think the heat would bother you and I'm sure the Scottish have had to deal with there fair share of snakes and rats through the years........... Come on Barab youre letting the side down

Ive just sat and read the 10 pages so far of the post. I love it and thanks.

Thing is IMO, no one is right and no one is wrong. Not everyone will like Oz and not everyone will like the UK/Europe/US or columbia (OP).

As its been said, for those of us that have come over here, weve invested a lot of time, money and emotions in this huge move and endured the 21 or so hours flights from the uk. For something that big, you must have wanted to be here for some reason and it must have been a positive thing.

One thing that does confuse me about those that have returned and maybe you could answer...Before you decided to go back to the comforts of the UK did you ever consider going somewhere else in Oz?

I think we have seen that each part of this country is different. So for those who live life with the 'grass is greener' attitude, there must be somewhere in Oz that suits your needs?? I mean no offence, im purely interested.

now ive only been here 10 days so i havent got an opinion on the country/city that im in, but ive come here to work, achieve a better work life balance, live in a warmer climate, be outside more and open up doors for my son as he grows up that i wouldnt normally be able to offer in the UK without paying extortionate prices for.

Ive not come here for a new life (what is that anyway??), ive come for a different life and im happy to live amoungst different attitudes/ways of doing things. Life would be boring if we lived the same and what would us poms have to moan about if it was the same huh?:wink:

Im not sure if where i am now is right, but i'll give it a go for a yr or so if its not then im going to keep moving. Thats part of life isnt it?

Good luck to the OP and others trying to get over here.

I'll stop waffling now!

Kelly.xxx

Maybe for a lot of Brits, they are so busy and wrapped up in the sheer hard work of day to day life, that they don't see Britain for how it really is. How comforting and fascinating it is to live here. When we first came back we went on an informal tour of Britain, looking for a place to live. So when we got to Scotland, people down south were telling us be careful of the deer, especially when driving. So up the country we went, scouring our eyes for these ever-elusive, in very large numbers, but apparently invisible, deer. We saw one in five days. Then one day, along past Smoos Cave, on the North West coast, a stag and his family jumped out in front of us and crossed the road. We watched this family as they climbed high into the hills and were mere specks. And it was as if our eyes had refocused. From then on, we saw them everywhere. Huge herds, just like the people down south had said. We went back south on the same roads we came up on, and those roads took us past hundreds of deer. We just hadn't seen them, as if our eyes were just not focused to seeing them, so they "weren't there".

I find Britain, after being so long away from it, a pretty magical place. But having said that, I haven't lived here for the 30 or 40 years a lot of Brits who have decided to move onto another country have. I like the cold - I wouldn't say Edinburgh turns on my idea of cold though more than two or three days a year, - but by 2039 I may be well sick of it and ready to move back to warmer climes.

Archived