Anyone "Happy" with the Aussie lifestyle?

Guest biohacker

Guest biohacker

Hi folks: I am waiting for my 175 since July 2009. I am doing some research until I move. I am not a British. Moreover, I am not even an english speaker but I want to move from my country because I really do not like the low cultural level of the people who live here and poor social conditions. My city is a mess and people are so greedy and unfriendly (of course there are a lot of good persons) but somehow I grew watching a lot of beautiful things that the world have to offer and I want to know each of them. Australia is a promise of a better lifestyle and career development (I am a highly skilled engineer even if compared with other professionals worlwide, but salaries here are very undecent).

The point is that in previous posts I only read how boring is OZ. My question is: ¿is there any body whose life got better and more interesting since moved to Australia? ¿is there anybody happy? ¿what is the secret?

Thanks in advance and have a nice day :)

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are also waiting for our visa. We had a months holiday in Queensland and did'nt want to come home. My opinion is that if you can't get on in Oz you can't get on anywhere my friend.

What country do you come from? Sounds alot like the UK.

We are also waiting for our visa. We had a months holiday in Queensland and did'nt want to come home. My opinion is that if you can't get on in Oz you can't get on anywhere my friend.

Can't you get on in England?

We have nice house (just sold it) in nice area in nice part of UK and work is picking up. Just want to have an adventure go live somewhere differant may be for good maybe not.

I looked around me and see where my country is heading and don't want to live here anymore.

Guest biohacker

Webbwebbies: It is really nice to greet you. I did not want to mention my country because I love it and it "hurts" me everything that happens here and I do not want people to think it is not worthy to visit. I come from Colombia. It is a really bloody beautiful country: we have jungle, beaches, cities, beautiful ppl and contrary with ppl think I have never seen drug dealer on the street or a single paramilitary, guerrilla member or a single murder heheh. Do not get confused by our pesimistic movies.

On the other hand, yes!, we have lots of problems: our poor spanish heritage, corrupt government, internal war, drug production, and the root of all these: social unequallity. I can not bear spending my life in a country which is in constant struggle to reborn from its under development. I am the kind of person who thinks that money is in second place and life should be just fun. I am an IT engineer, but even when my salary is about 10 times the minimun legal, it is still difficult to enjoy a full life in a city where everything is expensive, you do not have time (all the time I have to work) and the work conditions are poor (I do not have a direct contract. I have to pay my health and pension by myself, no benefits).

This is why I think that in my country we really!! have problems and I will be so grateful if OZ gives me this human and social standars that I do not enjoy here. Sometimes ppl from 1st world countries are not happy with life and should stop and see other realities where there are real needs.

pd. Minimum legal salary in Colombia is about 300 us dollars / month. But everything (believe me) is more expensive than in the US: gas, energy, food, clothes, electronics (only real state is cheaper, maybe a half, but you will never get a US30k house with that salary)

Excuse me, I went beyond the purpose of the thread :)

JC

We have nice house (just sold it) in nice area in nice part of UK and work is picking up. Just want to have an adventure go live somewhere differant may be for good maybe not.

I looked around me and see where my country is heading and don't want to live here anymore.

That could have been me saying that 2 years ago..

Hi Aldo

What happened to you in Oz?

Lack of interest. don't wont to mention the B word.......... but it bored me silly.

I had intensions of jumping through all the hoops to be a licenced subcontractor but then it dawned on me that I would never be stimulated enough there.

Guest LondonGal

Of course you didn't want to come home, you were on holiday!! Living somewhere is a lot different.

Hope you don't need a licence for what you do as you may find it's not as easy to get on in Oz as you think.

I hope it does work out for you but no need to make sweeping generalisations about the people who find Oz not for them. It's not always because "they couldn't get on" it's because they found the place mind numbingly boring.

Hi folks: I am waiting for my 175 since July 2009. I am doing some research until I move. I am not a British. Moreover, I am not even an english speaker but I want to move from my country because I really do not like the low cultural level of the people who live here and poor social conditions. My city is a mess and people are so greedy and unfriendly (of course there are a lot of good persons) but somehow I grew watching a lot of beautiful things that the world have to offer and I want to know each of them. Australia is a promise of a better lifestyle and career development (I am a highly skilled engineer even if compared with other professionals worlwide, but salaries here are very undecent).

The point is that in previous posts I only read how boring is OZ. My question is: ¿is there any body whose life got better and more interesting since moved to Australia? ¿is there anybody happy? ¿what is the secret?

We are both very happy living and working here in Perth, have been for over 2 years, personally we both earn more money here, have a massive house compared to the u.k. have 2 cars, a far better social life, more friends, work less hours and better more socialable hours too. We've seen & experienced places, animals & a way of life we only ever used to dream about!

Thanks

Guest JoanneHattersley

I love my life here too. We see much more of each other. Earn the same. Work less, have a nicer house, own 2 cars and have a better quality of life!

Mate!!! 46 years in Australia, well, on the 17th of September...And it still holds a fascination that makes me marvel. Its diversity is absolutely remarkable. All one has to do is to get out of the house, pub or, whatever and to try and enjoy the things that are happening... Take the pub away from a pom and the poor bugga is lost, hopelessly lost.:wink:

Make your own enjoyment, all it takes is the ability to GET OUT DOORS.

Ever seen glowworms, fireflies, or even glowing mushrooms in a rainforest at night?

Ever hand fed wild ducks, rainbow lorikeets, or even wild wallabies?

Ever had to lay on your back to see the tops of trees 300 ft high?

Ever watched a sunset while tropical palms are gently swaying in the balmy breezes?

Ever...well...So much to see and do and so little time...

Pass me another tissue please, Mum...:cry:

Cheers, Bobj.

Of course you didn't want to come home, you were on holiday!! Living somewhere is a lot different.

Hope you don't need a licence for what you do as you may find it's not as easy to get on in Oz as you think.

I hope it does work out for you but no need to make sweeping generalisations about the people who find Oz not for them. It's not always because "they couldn't get on" it's because they found the place mind numbingly boring.

"sweeping generalisation" yes seen a few of those myself :wideeyed:

Mate!!! 46 years in Australia, well, on the 17th of September...And it still holds a fascination that makes me marvel. Its diversity is absolutely remarkable. All one has to do is to get out of the house, pub or, whatever and to try and enjoy the things that are happening... Take the pub away from a pom and the poor bugga is lost, hopelessly lost.:wink:

Make your own enjoyment, all it takes is the ability to GET OUT DOORS.

Ever seen glowworms, fireflies, or even glowing mushrooms in a rainforest at night?

Ever hand fed wild ducks, rainbow lorikeets, or even wild wallabies?

Ever had to lay on your back to see the tops of trees 300 ft high?

Ever watched a sunset while tropical palms are gently swaying in the balmy breezes?

Ever...well...So much to see and do and so little time...

Pass me another tissue please, Mum...:cry:

Cheers, Bobj.

How bloody boring Bob! give me an old building to walk past any day, so much history so much culture.......... I feel so alive by these errrm........ buildings...... look at the errrm way it was built.

How bloody boring Bob! give me an old building to walk past any day, so much history so much culture.......... I feel so alive by these errrm........ buildings...... look at the errrm way it was built.

You realy need to get out of Blackburn Geoffrey..

Guest LondonGal

"sweeping generalisation" yes seen a few of those myself :wideeyed:

Mmmmm....yes, I missed out "some people" there in my post didn't I Geoffrey.

Thank you for pointing it out for me.:wubclub:

Guest guest17301

I'm happy with what WA offers me but don't take my word for it as I've only been here for 8 months therefore my opinion is neither valid or informed. I'll probably hate it in 2 years and join the legions of well informed poms heading back to the fantastic, interesting, non boring, cultural, historic isle of Great Britain to be amongst my kin folk.

:biglaugh:

:biglaugh:

I guess Architectural Digest Magazine must have loads of new subscriptions due to this new found hobby of architectural critique, which Aus. has inspired!!

Fan blerdy tastic I say.

Archived