And we're off!!!!!

Ratchet

Thought id post now, as im not going to get chance later.

We leave tomorrow for Melbourne. In 24hours we will be at the airport. Im so excited i want to be there now!! Have just done online check in so i know what seats we have for both legs of the flights.....hehehe how cool is that?!:laugh:

Will do a report of first impressions when we've got sorted. x

:jiggy:

We leave tomorrow for Melbourne. In 24hours we will be at the airport. Im so excited i want to be there now!! Have just done online check in so i know what seats we have for both legs of the flights.....hehehe how cool is that?!:laugh:

Good luck, i bet you're really excited. Where in Melbourne are you headed? Once we've sold the house we're hoping to land nr to Geelong. Look forward to hearing your report

You have picked a great week to arrive, forcast to be 24 degrees at the weekend, not bad for Spring.

Best of luck, it is in my opinion a brilliant place to live.

Michelle

:jiggy:We landed at 6.15am on 09/09/09 (Oz time) after the most tiring journeys ive ever had. it felt like it was never going to stop. Excitment has kept me going and im writing this with eyes falling out of my sockets due to sleep deprivation, while hubby and son have fallen back to sleep on the sofa straight after getting out of bed. LOL!!

Flights - Cathay Pacific. Booked in the day before departure online and chose seats for both flights and collected boardiing cards at heathrow. got away with paying for excess baggage, not sure how??. We had 35 EFG for both flights. Good leg room. I liked the position, would have been better to get window seats for the child in me. hehe. Flight was great. free food and drink and snacks at all times for both flights. on flight entertainment at all times. Films, TV, games etc

On landing we went through immigration. Had to fill out a card on the plane and hand it in, nothing out of ordinary. Passport was stamped for us then, so i take it thats it (?) Was approached at the baggage bit by one of the staff to question us about where we have come from and about food items being brought in, which we had nothing. Also that we had not been to a farm in the last 30 days.

Melbourne - the sat nav didnt work so i tried to navgate through melbourne after getting off the freeway with a crappy map. i directed chris to the high street (29) and we stayed on it until the 3. Rd signs easy enough to read if you have a map. Lots of lanes to get used to. Prob not the best place to try and travel through for the first time at 8am. we got stuck in the traffic. it gave us time to have a nosey and get huge coffees at McD's.

Huge city, really huge. central part looks so impressive from the rd. hubby not keen as we drove through as we're used to flat old lincolnshire countryside, but on getting passed the central areas and hitting the suburbs, its getting better. We're staying in highett for a month so we have time to get ourselves sorted. Have ventured into a 'milk bar' to buy coffee and milk. Off to find take away for tea and tomorrow - open a bank account and buy a car.

No negs yet. The house we're renting is fab, got it through movingtomelbourne (Kate).

Adam (son) so very impressed at having some familure childrens programmes on the telly - night garden, lois etc etc

Advice is to plan for the trip.

Flights - everyone stricked on 100mls rule. If you can, book in online or early on arrival at the aiport. hand luggage can be a huge bag - almost double a typical overnight cabin bag

Car hire - get all insurances and excesses sorted and paid for when booking the car online. if we didnt they were going to sting us for loads of money. You dont need to use the toll rds and dont buy off the renta car people $13 day (way too expensive!!)

Accomadation - we looked into hotels and found it was going to be cheaper to rent short term. We have a 2 bed house inc linen and full facilities etc with garage for 4 weeks and its worked out £50 a night. its great to be able to continue daily living in a house rather than our of a suitcase in a hotel.

TOMTOM - We got Aussie maps beofre we came out. when it finally found satalites and started working, it was such a relief!

Mobile fones - We changed ours to PAYG and topped up before we flew out. on landing ive found Optus to be the better network for coverage. Yet to find the Oz sim cards yet.

Clothes - pack a jumper. Its bloody freezing !!!!

Im going to stop waffling on now. Will blog the rest as we go along.

kelly.xx

Wow you are a hero posting this so soon after flight. Thank you for sharing it with us and I hope your new life will be everything you wish it to be.

Good luck!

Love

Raych x

Guest juliemtaylor

Soo glad to hear you have landed and loving it so far - great post. I look forward to the next chapter...

Good luck!

Julie x

Hope you arrived safely where you going to work?? as I am a midwife in Melbourne I see you got NBV rego so must be nurse or midwife?? Let me know if you need anything and post back asap

Welcome to Melbourne xx

:jiggy:We landed at 6.15am on 09/09/09 (Oz time) after the most tiring journeys ive ever had. it felt like it was never going to stop. Excitment has kept me going and im writing this with eyes falling out of my sockets due to sleep deprivation, while hubby and son have fallen back to sleep on the sofa straight after getting out of bed. LOL!!

Flights - Cathay Pacific. Booked in the day before departure online and chose seats for both flights and collected boardiing cards at heathrow. got away with paying for excess baggage, not sure how??. We had 35 EFG for both flights. Good leg room. I liked the position, would have been better to get window seats for the child in me. hehe. Flight was great. free food and drink and snacks at all times for both flights. on flight entertainment at all times. Films, TV, games etc

On landing we went through immigration. Had to fill out a card on the plane and hand it in, nothing out of ordinary. Passport was stamped for us then, so i take it thats it (?) Was approached at the baggage bit by one of the staff to question us about where we have come from and about food items being brought in, which we had nothing. Also that we had not been to a farm in the last 30 days.

Melbourne - the sat nav didnt work so i tried to navgate through melbourne after getting off the freeway with a crappy map. i directed chris to the high street (29) and we stayed on it until the 3. Rd signs easy enough to read if you have a map. Lots of lanes to get used to. Prob not the best place to try and travel through for the first time at 8am. we got stuck in the traffic. it gave us time to have a nosey and get huge coffees at McD's.

Huge city, really huge. central part looks so impressive from the rd. hubby not keen as we drove through as we're used to flat old lincolnshire countryside, but on getting passed the central areas and hitting the suburbs, its getting better. We're staying in highett for a month so we have time to get ourselves sorted. Have ventured into a 'milk bar' to buy coffee and milk. Off to find take away for tea and tomorrow - open a bank account and buy a car.

No negs yet. The house we're renting is fab, got it through movingtomelbourne (Kate).

Adam (son) so very impressed at having some familure childrens programmes on the telly - night garden, lois etc etc

Advice is to plan for the trip.

Flights - everyone stricked on 100mls rule. If you can, book in online or early on arrival at the aiport. hand luggage can be a huge bag - almost double a typical overnight cabin bag

Car hire - get all insurances and excesses sorted and paid for when booking the car online. if we didnt they were going to sting us for loads of money. You dont need to use the toll rds and dont buy off the renta car people $13 day (way too expensive!!)

Accomadation - we looked into hotels and found it was going to be cheaper to rent short term. We have a 2 bed house inc linen and full facilities etc with garage for 4 weeks and its worked out £50 a night. its great to be able to continue daily living in a house rather than our of a suitcase in a hotel.

TOMTOM - We got Aussie maps beofre we came out. when it finally found satalites and started working, it was such a relief!

Mobile fones - We changed ours to PAYG and topped up before we flew out. on landing ive found Optus to be the better network for coverage. Yet to find the Oz sim cards yet.

Clothes - pack a jumper. Its bloody freezing !!!!

Im going to stop waffling on now. Will blog the rest as we go along.

kelly.xx

Good Luck with everything :hug:

Hey Hun welcome to Oz I hope you enjoy Melbourne, its a great place to live but cold!!

You need anything let me know we have been here 14months now so starting to feel like locals

Hope you had a safe journey and settle in well Where are you going to work?? Jacqui:wink:

Do you know. i forgot i posted this!!! hahaha. i really am going mad or cant deal very well with jetlag.

Im quite suprised at how first impressions change so quickly in such a little time. When we first landed all i saw was city city city. i tried to find the greenery i saw on google maps and started to think what on earth folk were on about.

Well we drive around, got out of the city and back into it again and in a week i really do like it here. Weve been all over to look for somewhere to live and think for a start off its going to be on the west side

Some opinions would be good on family friendly places to live please

point cook

or

hoppers crossing

i need pre-school and primary school, parks and also good rds into the city as im going to be working in Richmond.

Yes, regarding the NVB question, im a nurse - RMN. Going to be working for healthscope in the addictions field as its called here. Have been in managment for 6 yrs so am really looking forward to having no responsibility and being back on the shop floor.

Off to plan the day tomorrow, weve been so busy setting things up we hvaent had chance to be tourists yet and explore the sights.

Kelly.x

You could think also about the outer eastern suburbs, take a drive if you have the chance up to the Mount Dandenong lookout. I got into Richmond on a semi-express train today in about 30-40 mins from Ringwood/Heathmont, while you wouldn't want to be further out than that I can understand, there are some more affordable properties out here, and it has many amenities The eastern region train line is a good line to live on, express trains to Richmond etc. Best of luck with it.

Guest golden grahams

hi good luck with the move and the job, i start at the melbourne clinic on 31st November, will be good to know i have someone who has recently been though it all

Guest paulacox

Good luck

Hope it all goes well

Paula

Archived