buying a new car- but how do you register it without an address?!

seekingsunshine

hi everyone! could anyone help us please!

we are arriving on friday 18th september (so excited!) (adelaide)

we have already organised to purchase a car once we arrive and have put a deposit down etc. we are hoping to pick it up on the saturday.

however we obviously need to register the car in our names.

the garage has said they need a rental agreement with our name and address on and then something like a bank statement or bill also with name and address on.

heres where we hit a problem as we obviously dont have an address yet! we are staying in aldinga beach for three weeks and looking for a long term rental during that time.....

how has everyone else managed to register a car in their name before living in australia?

how do you do it?! any advice would be greatly appreciated! or ideas of how to get round this!

(garage has said could register it to them until have permanent address but then we would be buying a 'demo' when we come to sell it on as would have been registered to two owners , rather than one owner (ie us) from new)

many thanks arghh.gif

you should beable to use the address of the hotel, motel, vanpark etc as your garaging address, just ask the hotel for a receipt showing the rental agreement, then the other thing you can do is get your australian drivers license straight awayn using the same address (its very easy to change adresses, you can do it online when you move into perm accomodation).

and that is all you should need.

Hi pommypaul :) thank you for reply - unfortunately we are going into short term accomadation when we arrive so although our landlady has kindly dropped a letter off saying 'rental agreement' etc dont think its offical enough for the garage..... as we wanted to pick the car up the day after we arrive in Oz we have no time to order bills to a permanent address etc therefore....

just in case anyone in the future is looking for the answer to this question........!

from what we can find out as we have no fixed address,our only option is to register the car to the garage we're buying it from, which will in effect cause it to be a demo rather than brand new as it will have 'had' (registered as having) two owners when we come to sell it on!

not impressed by this at all as will devalue car for no purpose but think its the only option!

:(

Just to let you know we were able to use our 'holiday let' paperwork without any problems although I am aware that it varies from garage to garage. We were OK with our passports, credit cards (UK ones) our Aussie bank card and a letter from the holiday let which basically just said length of stay on it (1 month).

Lyn

Hi pommypaul :) thank you for reply - unfortunately we are going into short term accomadation when we arrive so although our landlady has kindly dropped a letter off saying 'rental agreement' etc dont think its offical enough for the garage..... as we wanted to pick the car up the day after we arrive in Oz we have no time to order bills to a permanent address etc therefore....

just in case anyone in the future is looking for the answer to this question........!

from what we can find out as we have no fixed address,our only option is to register the car to the garage we're buying it from, which will in effect cause it to be a demo rather than brand new as it will have 'had' (registered as having) two owners when we come to sell it on!

not impressed by this at all as will devalue car for no purpose but think its the only option!

:(

When we bought our first car we didn't have an address either and it was not problem at all. We used my sister's address - so we had no rental agreement or anything. I am not sure that the garage is correct - I don't see why they need to have any evidence of your address.

As others have suggested, if you get your driving licence sorted as soon as you get there (it ought to be issued on the sport) and stick your temp rental address on that, that should be enough.

Also, the paperwork here does not show the number of owners like it does in the UK, so I wouldn't worry too much about that....the only thing is that you will have to pay to register it twice which seems wrong.

Have you talked to the Department of transport in the state you are going to about it?

Love

Rudi

x

You do need proof of ID but it doesnt HAVE to be a rental agreement. Infact i dont think i have ever known anyone produce a rental agreement in order to buy a car.

In your shoes i would ring the garage ,tell them you dont have a rental agreement so will be unable to buy the car,,, then watch how quick they come up with equivalent forms of ID you can use,lol.

Cal x

Archived