what bugs you about oz

Guest Working to fish

my moan WHY are houses soooo expensive to rent and buy? with all the land grrr i know daft gripe hey ho..

They are also not very good quallity

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It bugs me that aussies don't like change and newer and better things that make life more easier. If there great grandad did it a certain way, then why change it?

The point you are making above seems totally contradictory to the one you are making below. You say "aussies don't like change" and "If there great grandad did it a certain way, then why change it?"

But then below you seem angry that Aussies have changed some things since their grandfathers time.

Australians pick and choose the words as they suit - as we possibly don't have as strong an attachment to saying something a particular way as British and Americans - we say it the way that suits us. This means that we often have words where we say it both ways and are comfortable with that. We also have a bunch of words where they are all our own.

I have never said a word an American way to spite the English and I doubt very many Australians have been thinking of England at the time they chose an Americanism. Frankly I find it strange that you think we would but so be it. We don't think of the original English way of saying it as yours anyway, we think of it as our word being changed to an american word - england doesn't come into it.

Maybe you wouldn't have noticed but Australians have also adopted new British words that we never used to say just because we like the words, not because we suddenly dislike the americans :) shag and bollocks comes to mind.

Australian so badly want to disassociate themselves from their BRITISH heritage that they adopt the american ways instead, words such as: principle, recess, mufflers, chips (instead of crisps) pants (instead of trousers) singlet and of course, they adopted the dollar. They are always dissing the british for everything even sports. The crappy excuses they came up with for LOSING the ashes to the ENGLISH, were quite pathetic, just face it they lost to the better team, get over it.

Even though I have no desire to move back to the UK, I will never adopt certain words, like Marone (maroon to you and me) I will never call a pepper a capsicum and I won't change football to soccer.

If all the drivers drove properly and the americanisms were dropped and the winters were warmer and people welcomed change for the better, it wouldn't be that bad here at all

A whinging pom telling it how it is.:biglaugh:

As an aside some points on your examples that annoy you:

principle - assuming you mean principal - as we were settled by Irish, Scottish and Welsh people as well some terms come from those countries like principal/rector.

recess - plus we use little lunch, big lunch and many others

mufflers - or exhaust - your choice - most still say car exhaust

chips (instead of crisps) - but the americans don't use the word chips - just french fries?

pants (instead of trousers) - you can use trousers as well, some do - its not our fault you use the word pants in the way that you do and can't say it without breaking into fits of laughter :)

singlet - we've said it this way for a long time.

dollar - we went decimal in 1966, we couldn't wait for you any longer :)

Marone (maroon to you and me) - a lot of Australians say it maroon so carry on.

capsicum - most americans say pepper as well so not sure we stole it from them.

football to soccer - Soccer Australia has changed to Football Federation Australia so

definitely don't start calling it soccer as we need all the help we can get :)

Don't get to caught up in the press/sporting rivalry. If I believed every negative article I saw in the British press when I lived there I would have thought you all hated us, and you don't, do you ? :wubclub:

Of course, aussie's don't whinge but they bite very easily.

aussie's don't do anything, people do...met a whole variety of people in the UK....some very positive, some fun, some negative and depressing....met the same here as well...can't blame your personality on your country :smile:

aussie's don't do anything, people do...met a whole variety of people in the UK....some very positive, some fun, some negative and depressing....met the same here as well...can't blame your personality on your country

Don't worry about J he is just un happy in Australia and looking for anyone to blame (anyone meaning anything Australian) He just needs a hug :hug: there you are mate :wink: hope everything feels better now?!

Guest guest30038
can't blame your personality on your country

Come come mate <tut tut> {sarcasm}.........dontcha know it's the Aussie unfriendliness that is at the root of many complaints here on PIO............it's nothing at all to do with the individual's personality, be they Aussie or Pommy. :arghh:

To be honest, (at the risk of personalising) when I look at some posts on here, by those who claim Aussies to be unfriendly, it's no bloody wonder that they can't make Aussie friends...............whinge, whinge, bloody whinge :SLEEP:

The very same folk, who allude to Aussie unfriendliness, invariably post nothing but negatives about Australia and Australians, and rarely post anything to help those who are making one of the biggest choices in their lives............unless of course you consider that their experiences can likely be measured against their personalities.

kev

Guest gary12

Having to explain everytime I am in the supermarket, 'I am English, I am used to packing my own shopping bags and really I don't mind, and no it won't squash things packing it like that' arrrgh!

Michelle

The very same folk, who allude to Aussie unfriendliness, invariably post nothing but negatives about Australia and Australiansr, and rarely post anything to help those who are making one of the biggest choices in their lives............unless of course you consider that their experiences can likely be measured against their personalities.

kev

But they are Kev, they are putting post after post of how bad it is in Australia so the English public don't make the same mistake as them.......... It's their duty as an Englishman (standing up one hand covering my heart singing God save the Queen)bloody hard to type let me tell you...........

Wise men profit more from fools than fools from wise men; for the wise men shun the mistakes of fools, but fools do not imitate the successes of the wise.

Guest guest30038
But they are Kev, they are putting post after post of how bad it is in Australia so the English public don't make the same mistake as them.......... It's their duty as an Englishman (standing up one hand covering my heart singing God save the Queen)bloody hard to type let me tell you...........

Especially if you've got one of those excellent pork sausages in the other hand. :biglaugh:

kev

Australian or English Kev?

don't worry Geoff, I'm sure Kev loves a bit of sausage from UK and Aus inside him.:biglaugh:

• 2 weeks later...

I dont want to sound like a whinging pom but...

The beurocracy, health and safety, Telstra, too many road signs, interstate highways too narrow,

the footie, the adverts on telly that shout, the crap telly, No Kronenburg in the pubs, pots,

water crisis and people still whinging that they cant water their gardens...get over it. Its a dry country grow different plants. Taxis smell and the radio stations. It seems they always play the same ten songs every hour and the morning DJs think they are so funny, and Hamish and Andy on Fox. I have to listen to them at work.

Occaisional my Australian work mates will have a quiet whinge when no one is around, knowing that I wont moan about them having a whinge, because I am a pom, I suppose.

Guest guest30038
I

No Kronenburg in the pubs,

Almost as bad as crap snags. Gawd help us if we have to rely on kronenburg to satisfy our Pommy heritage :biglaugh:

kev

Archived