arriving in sydney in 6 weeks... where do i go???

Guest TiDyBoY

Guest TiDyBoY

Hi everyone i'm 29 and have made the desicion to come to oz for a year its something i've always wanted to do so i have just bought my plane ticket. But now it is looming i'm starting to panic slightly as i am travelling alone and i don't know where to start, any advice would be welcome shall i sort some accomodation before i leave or should i try to find a hostel or room once i arrive.. hopefully meet some new friends very quickly as i can't stand the thought of being alone for too long?? also any advice on the best place to be would be great...

Quoll's suggestion is good or you could just go straight to the tourist information desk in the arrivals hall. There is bucket loads of help and info there and the ladies on the desk will gladly sort you something out - they'll know where is best for you etc etc.

And don't worry, this place was built for backpackers :smile:

Lyn

If you don't mind staying in a hostel book into the YHA one at Railway Square - you can get the train from the airport (the station is inside the terminal) and it's practically outside Central Station. You are walking distance to the city from there and handy for bus/train. There are plenty of hostels around Kings Cross too.

If you don't mind staying in a hostel book into the YHA one at Railway Square - you can get the train from the airport (the station is inside the terminal) and it's practically outside Central Station. You are walking distance to the city from there and handy for bus/train. There are plenty of hostels around Kings Cross too.

LOL, you are directing the poor lad to Kings Cross? He wont know what hit him:biglaugh:

I drove into the Cross on Sunday night, parked in a side street between Victoria St and Macleay St (or is it Wylde St?) Then I walked up to The Crest Hotel near the station.

The Cross seems to have changed, become more upmarket. There were people sitting out on the pavement eating meals, lots of people walking about. I did not feel nervous and I'm usually very 'edgy' in dodgy areas.

There are a lot of hostels (and hotels) there so I guess it should be safe?

Guest chrisa

KC is certainly an interesting place. On the news recently due to bogans booming their music from their cars. Their is that new hostel in the Rocks opposite the indoor sports place, just across from the Australian!

In terms of being alone, I wouldn't worry too much. As soon as you get to know one Aussie, they introduce you to their friends and so on! I've only been here 3 weeks and it's a bit scary but ok! Plus, if you fancy a beer, there are always the lovely Brits on here.

Guest TiDyBoY

thanks for your advice guys i'm sure i'll be fine once i'm there its just more scary thinking about it than actually doing it i reckon...

Have you looked at couch surfing or global freeloading? Its great for meeting people and free nights accomodation, staying at someones house. there are hundreds of people doing this worldwide. I used to have people stay with me hear in the uk for a couple of days at a time. Its usually younger people who have a passion for travel too. Maybe once yo return to the uk they will come stay with you!

Hi TidyBoy.

I came to Sydney on a working visa from the UK earlier this year (I was 29 then - now im in my 30s. Sob!). I stayed in the Backpackers Hostel in Bayswater Road, Kings Cross. I would really recommend it as it is okay as hostels go and it is in a good location. It is small enough so it's quiet when you want to sleep, but lively enough in terms of having people around. There are generally a few Pommies around to make you welcome, but everyone there - whoever they were - was really friendly. I stayed there for about three weeks and I found it great. If you like your footie or sport, you can go and watch matches at the nearby Sports Bar, where you are likely to meet a few Pommies too. If you want or need any advice or anything, drop me a line at stulatics@hotmail.com and I would be glad to help. For work reasons, unfortunately I am not currently in Sydney, although I hope to go back there soon. It is a fantastic place and I'm sure you will have a ball!

Take care,

Stuart.

Archived