Quick update from Mornington Penisula

TaniaColin

Well folks we left good old Stoke last Tuesday morning for Manchester airport, with all our worldly goods 6 suitcases, 2 holdalls, 4 bits of hand luggage and coats. We flew with Emirates and they were fab, we stayed for a few hours in Dubai, and then on to Melbourne, the flight was brill, seats really comfy, food ok, entertainment really good, kids had some nice toys. No probs at passport control as some of you no we were only out here in June to validate our visas.

Our good friend Nick picked us up from the airport, really nice to see him again, i think he wondered where we would all fit, but we got into his vehicle, he drove us to our rental. We have a gorgeous rental quite near to Main st so its ideal to walk into town or to the beach. Its a lovely 4 bedroom property, very comfortable, nice to live in some luxury after weeks of 'roughin' it in our house.

On the Thursday we picked up our 8 seater vehicle, just having it for the week. We called round to see our friend and her family in the evening and she did centrelink and our tax no on-line.

On Friday we opened our bank account, got medicare sorted out, just had to produce our passports and birth certificates, it will now come through automatic on Aug 13th. We even managed a walk along the beach. The job what Colin wanted has now gone, it wasn't definite, but we were hoping for some security with one of us working, so i decided to look through the papers and phoned for a hairdressing job and the lady asked me to start on Monday.

On Saturday we looked at a rental which was quite nice there were quite a few people there, so we filled in an application form, they asked us for driving licence they accepted UK one, passport and bank details that gave us 100 points and we supplied 3 refs aswell.

Saturday we had a BBQ with Debs and her family and they lent my boys an x-box so they are quite happy

Sunday entertained Nick, Marie and their children we did another BBQ, thought we would make use of the facililties here whilst we can.

Monday i went to work quite enjoyed it, going back in tomorrow (Wednesday)

Today went to check out the school what the boys are going to, had a look around it, good school, they start on Monday. Had a drive to Rosebud, Colin had an interview for warehouse work, guy is going to phone him on Thursday it is only part time but at least it is work. We did not get that rental we looked at, only because there were 4 applicants, we looked at another rental today but it was grotty, so my friend has seen another one, so going to check that one out now. We have also bought a mobile phone and a broadband stick (pay as you go) for my laptop so at least i can stay in touch with the UK. My eldest son speaks to his friends on MSN and i have enjoyed e-mailing friends etc.

Anyway on the whole i think we have acheived quite abit in less than a week, tomorrow Colin is going to sort out ambulance cover for us, and then Debs is going to take us into Frankston to get kids uniform, its a shame Arwen can't school until January but never mind we have Chad at home anyway. We might look into childcare eventually, but will see.

Anyway will probably do another up date very soon.

Tania XX

Guest Burness2Oz

Sounds very exciting Tania, lots done in little time. Sounds like you have friends already which I think helps.

You know the rental you saw and you said you had DL, Bank etc where were your 3 references from? We have always owned our properties so wondered what references you took/got?

Thanks Hydie

Guest guest17301

Working already?? You go girl. You'll be just fine, I have a feeling you will settle very quickly. Good luck to Colin in his job hunt. Hope you find a nice house soon..take your time, there are lots to choose from and don't forget it has to be home for at least 6 months. Take care, more updates soon xx

Guest Polegate

It looks as though things are going well for you and the family Tania. Good luck with everything you plan to do, you deserve it.

Jackie

Guest ashmalog

WELL DONE YOU.

what school did you go for in the end for the boys? that was good they had places for them so quickly. an amazing post and great to hear that things are settling, hope you find a permanent rental soon.

take care and cant wait for the 2nd installment

bonnie xox

ps say hi to marie for me!!!!

WELL DONE YOU.

what school did you go for in the end for the boys? that was good they had places for them so quickly. an amazing post and great to hear that things are settling, hope you find a permanent rental soon.

take care and cant wait for the 2nd installment

bonnie xox

ps say hi to marie for me!!!!

Hi Bonnie the boys are going to Moorooduc Primary School, it is quite a rural school, but they are building a new school very soon, seems to be good

Tania X

brilliant to hear that you are all settling in, will look forward to hear what the kids think of school there, how come Arwen cant start till jan?

Claire

Hi Claire, she has missed out with us not starting until August, but we have got to apply now as they are having lots of enquiries for January for Arwens year

Tania X

Guest juliemtaylor

great news about your jobs!!! Living the dream!!!

Where did you get your short term rental? Did you use Moving2Melbourne? Lovely to hear about Schools, is your oldest in Secondary yet? Can't wait till you post again... It's like a best seller book!!

Julie x

Guest ashmalog

well done on the jobs in such a short amount of time - you sound like a very good organiser tania.

we have a viewing in a few hours so fingers crossed - let's hope they turn up.

bonnie x

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Tania

What a great post, you have acheived so much you should be very proud!!!

Look forward to hearing more.

Kate

Guest The Pom Queen
well done on the jobs in such a short amount of time - you sound like a very good organiser tania.

bonnie x

Good luck Bonnie:wubclub:

great news about your jobs!!! Living the dream!!!

Where did you get your short term rental? Did you use Moving2Melbourne? Lovely to hear about Schools, is your oldest in Secondary yet? Can't wait till you post again... It's like a best seller book!!

Julie x

Hi Julie i used the same rental as my friend who has been out here for two years, nothing against kate of course, its just that Debs used Accommodatetooz and we wanted something near to Main st so i could walk to the town or beach

Tania X

bonnie x

Really hope something comes of it Bonnie, best of luck

Tania X

• 2 weeks later...
hi just found this thread , congratulations on work and all the rest to come , sounds like you have some lovely friends to get you started xx

Hi Sharon

We are very lucky to have Debs and Phil out here, they have told us and showed us where places are such as centrelink, medicare and even applying for our ambulance cover. It would have been very difficult not to have known anyone.

Spottymercedes (Nick and Marie) I can't thank them enough, Nick picked us up from the airport again, and he gave colin a list of contacts which got him his job, and today we are off car hunting, Nick recommended a garage to us.

We are just hoping that we can secure a rental now, we looked at two yesterday and i put my application forms in straight away.

The boys have done a week at school now, they are at Moorooduc Primary and enjoying it, Cameron is off on a camping trip next week, so really settled in.

Just need to get Arwen and Chad into pre school and then i can look for something part time. Things are going good, although there doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day at the moment, but when we look around at the scenery and the beach it makes it all worth while.

Tania X :yes:

Guest Tam-and-Andi

Hi Tania and family,

Wow what a post.

You have acheived so much since you have arrived here, well done you. You must be so pleased with yourselves.

We arrived here in Mornington on 22nd May, and we are here with our two daughters aged 9 and 5.

It makes such a difference reading about a place on here and being able to place it, like when you say Main street and talk about the school, as I know which one your talking about and Frankston is a good place for shopping.

It was lovely reading how well you are doing and good luck with everything else you still have to do.

Take care.

Andi, Tam and the girls.x

Archived