• depends on securing a job
    • depends on selling the house
    • Between September-October 2009
    • Between November-December 2009
    • Between Jan-March 2010
    • Between April-June 2010
    • Between July-December 2010

HI guys,

new to this forum...... we lodged 175 nov 08 general plumber. changed to ss for vic end of march 10. Got ss after 6 days which was fab. online status changed to abpf mid april this could just have been form from vic to diac regarding 176?!!!!. i have no idea how long we should be expecting to wait for a co at all. Any thoughts? ideas - silly question?!! :-)

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whilst in Sydney we have found that there is sooooo much work - not even just word of mouth but on the seek website it changes daily but for an electrician there are hundreds of jobs. Even though NSW are not sponsoring electricians they certainly need them. We found there were far more jobs in Sydney than in Melbourne.

My OH has been speaking to people on site and there is as much overtime as he can handle everyone says they need electricians. Things in Sydney are booming especially construction, and this is mirrored with house sales and rentals. If you see something you like you have to be quick.

We were only in Victoria for a week and on the Seek website there were at the time about 80 electrician jobs whereas it was 300+ in Sydney. Everyone keeps telling us that if your English is very good and you are a hard worker you will have no problems at all getting work.

Looking at the Victoria website I also noticed that the SS list had been updated and pleased to see electrician is still on the list but they had not updated the date on the bottom of the pages.

Guest VickyMel

Can you add our details?

Name:Cornish78

Hi Cornish

Glad to add you to the front page of the Vic SS thread. It has been a bit quiet recently - surely that must mean some news will start coming out sometime soon!

HI guys,

new to this forum...... we lodged 175 nov 08 general plumber. changed to ss for vic end of march 10. Got ss after 6 days which was fab. online status changed to abpf mid april this could just have been form from vic to diac regarding 176?!!!!. i have no idea how long we should be expecting to wait for a co at all. Any thoughts? ideas - silly question?!! :-)

Hi Sophie

Congrats on the VIC SS.

I suggest you take a look at the 176/Cat 5 thread run by Tasha. Its sort of the next thread on from this - people who have an application in with DIAC that is SS but not on the CSL list.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/70633-176-ss-non-csl-where-you-now.html

Here is the link (come join us?). You will see a list of people on the first page who are waiting. Some people from 2008 have now got Visas after converting to a 176. Most of these had attached SS before 23rd Sept and had front loaded their Meds & PCCs prior to that date as well. But if you take a look through recent posts on that thread you will get the picture. With you only getting the SS recently I imagine it is unlikely you will hear from a CO too soon - but it is hard to tell it is a bit haphazard? The whole thing has slowed down considerably and we are not really expecting much movement until the new DIAC year July... when the new SOL and SMP lists are possibly coming out and I imagine the priorities will shift again...

Whilst in Sydney we have found that there is sooooo much work - not even just word of mouth but on the seek website it changes daily but for an electrician there are hundreds of jobs. Even though NSW are not sponsoring electricians they certainly need them. We found there were far more jobs in Sydney than in Melbourne.

Wow that is brilliant news - I think that we really should try and take a trip out there and try in the flesh - I am fed up of applying for things from outside...

Thanks for also mentioning VIC had changed their SS occupations list - I think it was mid-April - but is crazily dated July09! There does not seem to me much of a change

Good luck everyone

VickyMel

morning!!!

thanks for response. i know i will be repeating what others say and feel just wish we had some idea of times!!! do you think the 176 we lodged march 10 overrides the 175 in nov 08, or do you think they would look at us earlier becuase we orginally lodged 18mths ago? that make sense??!!!!

I have emailed diac not really sure what response i am expecting, i've asked if the abpf was just becuase of the 176 lodegement or if something is happening.

:-)

Guest khotkunal

ABPF means they are looking at your case and may be your case officer (if assigned) might ask for PCC and medicals soon if you are on CSL...

Hope this helps..

thanks

KK...

Thank you. we aren't on csl. boo!!!!! we were (are) modl but we are on skills list for victoria. i must admit i don't no wether i'm coming or going in terms of where were are in the priority processing queue etc.

I also wondered if someone could confirm if the english tests are necessary for everyone now or still something you may take to gain extra points? Just wondering if there is anything else we should be doing.

cheers. :-)

Guest khotkunal

If you are not on CSL then you are last on processing priority as MODL is no longer existant. The good news is that you will be on last priority till June end only. From 1 July you will be as par with other applicants.

Cheer up and hope for the best..

Thanks

KK...

Guest VickyMel
thanks for response. i know i will be repeating what others say and feel just wish we had some idea of times!!! do you think the 176 we lodged march 10 overrides the 175 in nov 08, or do you think they would look at us earlier becuase we orginally lodged 18mths ago? that make sense??!!!!

I have emailed diac not really sure what response i am expecting, i've asked if the abpf was just becuase of the 176 lodegement or if something is happening.

:-)

Hi again

I think unfortunately at the moment any idea of times is totally out of the window unless you are CSL.

Yep it does make sense your query re where you are lodged. On the thread I included earlier we do see some sort of preference to the older applications but as I mentioned it is a bit haphazard re all the changes - and probably related to the limited quota of people that can get in this year and DIAC having already asked some people to get Meds and PCCs done and the potential that they may now run out given that they back shunted everyone in the 176 nonCSL queue.

It have been VERY slow recently and rumours of no more COs until the new year...

The following thread was a query to DIAC a week or so ago about processing esp in ref to dates lodged etc. again one of Tasha's she wrote to one of the gov people to ask.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/84924-category-5-further-information-provided-processing-open-discussion.html#post748269

ABPF means they are looking at your case and may be your case officer (if assigned) might ask for PCC and medicals soon if you are on CSL...

Hope this helps..

thanks

KK...

I desagree

ABPF to a 176 SS nonCSL generally means that DIAC have looked at your file - maybe because you sent a PLE or when they attached your SS. Many people on the other thread would tell you they have been ABPF and have been since early 2009.

Thank you. we aren't on csl. boo!!!!! we were (are) modl but we are on skills list for victoria. i must admit i don't no wether i'm coming or going in terms of where were are in the priority processing queue etc.

I also wondered if someone could confirm if the english tests are necessary for everyone now or still something you may take to gain extra points? Just wondering if there is anything else we should be doing.

cheers. :-)

No the English test is not necessary if you have a UK (or other exempt nationality) passports (except for some occupations - I think but not sure nurse accountant). Although as you say people use it to get the extra points.

If you are not on CSL then you are last on processing priority as MODL is no longer existant. The good news is that you will be on last priority till June end only. From 1 July you will be as par with other applicants.

Cheer up and hope for the best..

Thanks

KK...

Again sorry KK but kind of disagree again on this one.

Here is the current priority list

Under the Ministerial Direction, the following processing priorities (with

highest priority listed first) apply:

1. Applications from people who are employer sponsored under the ENS and

the RSMS.

2. Applications from people who are nominated by a State/Territory

government agency under a State Migration Plan agreed to by the Minister.

3. Applications from people who are nominated by a State/Territory

government agency and whose nominated occupation is on the Critical Skills

List (CSL).

4. Applications from people who are neither nominated nor sponsored

under Priority Groups 1,2 or 3 but whose nominated occupation is listed on

the CSL.

5. Applications from people who are nominated by a State/Territory

government agency whose nominated occupation is not listed on the CSL

6. (i) Applications from people whose occupations are listed on the

Migration Occupations in Demand List (MODL); as well as

(ii) Applications from people who are sponsored by family and whose

nominated occupation is not listed on the CSL.

7. All other applications are to be processed in the order in which they

are received.

At the moment you are Cat 5.

As of July (or sometime hopefully around then) the new SOL comes in and the CSL goes out. I imagine that DIAC will change the priorities again from what they are currently. We don't yet know whether the new SOL will go in front or behind the current Cat 5?

There is going to be a new category 'state migration plans' but it is unlikely they will include all SS applicants - we don't know when these will come out though yet.

If you are in the SMP then you will be priority 2 - if not I still think we will need to wait and see where they slot us following the next changes..?

Unfortunately I think it is still a while before we will have much of a clue.

I would pop into the 176 thread - much of these queries are ongoing in that thread.

VickyMel

Guest khotkunal

hahha..lol...they are very cruel people they will not listen to emails...Just joking...

Actually even though you are on SS but still you need to be on CSL to receive priority...

Otherwise you are on priority 5..So just wait till JUne end and from July evrybody will be treated equally...

Thnaks

KK...

Guest khotkunal

Thanks Vickeymel,

May be I am a bit confused because of all the priorities and changes from last 2-3 months...But I would say that those who have got CO say from Feb are in the last stage and many have already got visas(Feb applicants)...On 30April one of the 10 March applicant got 175 visa granted. But he was on CSL. I am just trying to say that it helps if you are on CSL and if not then there is lot of confusion and no body can say anything concrete for the timelines for nonCSL applicants at the moment.

Thanks anyways for your useful advice as always...

KK..

Guest parkinfour

Hello, just wondering if anyone knows when the new SMP or new jobs list will be ready for victoria? We are currently family sponsored and looking/hoping like everyone to get up the list a bit with all the changes.

Thanks

Amelia

Guest Rob c
Hello, just wondering if anyone knows when the new SMP or new jobs list will be ready for victoria? We are currently family sponsored and looking/hoping like everyone to get up the list a bit with all the changes.

Thanks

Amelia

Looks like the jobs list has been revised as of the 19th of April, if u take a look on the Vic state website, it shows the list, from what i can gather?

My trade is still on it :), just wish the TRA would hurry up :(

Guest ulaganayagan
Thanks Vickeymel,

May be I am a bit confused because of all the priorities and changes from last 2-3 months...But I would say that those who have got CO say from Feb are in the last stage and many have already got visas(Feb applicants)...On 30April one of the 10 March applicant got 175 visa granted. But he was on CSL. I am just trying to say that it helps if you are on CSL and if not then there is lot of confusion and no body can say anything concrete for the timelines for nonCSL applicants at the moment.

Thanks anyways for your useful advice as always...

KK..

Hi KK

Was just wondering what happened to you.I am going to Melbourne this month end.Hope to see you/vicky and other friends soon in Oz:hug:

Guest VickyMel
thanks again all. when i get a response from diac i will post for you to see. unless they tell me to stop hounding them.... :cute:

Maybe we will get more fun out of seeing the responce where they tell you to stop hounding them :laugh:. I know VIC can get annoyed if you hound them - but DIAC..?

Thanks

Amelia

I've heard nothing yet.

There is a thread aimed at posting any news

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/78823-state-migration-plan-what-states-saying.html

VIC did issue a new VIC SS occupations list in April but it had changed very little from the old list so there were not any clues there unfortunately. But if they did not include your occupation on the recent change I don't know but maybe it is unlikely they are going to bring it into the SMP list as I imagine that will be a smaller version still of the SS list? Although VIC are very keen on people with a connection to VIC and who want to be there - so maybe?

I can't remember what VICs view was on off-list 176 SS - but have you tried asking whether they would consider giving you one?

Really sorry for you being in family sponsored priorities - it is all very unfair - is it worth looking at SS from another state?

Good luck - its all so frustrating

VickyMel

Guest khotkunal

Hello Ulaganayagan,

Nice to hear from you...Best of luck with your journey. So are you going just for validation or are you going for good? Any luck with the job search?

I had been busy lately in office work and DIAC procedure..I have apllied my 175 in March end and my mediclas are finalised...Waiting for the CO to be assigned...Actually there seems to be some delay fom DIAC as there were systems transitions going on..I have raised a PLE so lets see..

Anywyas keep in touch and we will let you know about our progress..

Thanks and regards

KK...

Guest ulaganayagan
Hello Ulaganayagan,

Nice to hear from you...Best of luck with your journey. So are you going just for validation or are you going for good? Any luck with the job search?

I had been busy lately in office work and DIAC procedure..I have apllied my 175 in March end and my mediclas are finalised...Waiting for the CO to be assigned...Actually there seems to be some delay fom DIAC as there were systems transitions going on..I have raised a PLE so lets see..

Anywyas keep in touch and we will let you know about our progress..

Thanks and regards

KK...

Hi

I am moving permanently.No big success when applyng from home country.One of my firiends got a job within 10 days of landing.But he says not to expect too much and saving potential initially is very less.Schools are easy to find and so are the houses .The approx expenses per month for a family of 3 is 2100 to 2500 dollars

Guest parkinfour

re vickymel

Thanks so much for your reply, I really appreciate it. How would I go about an off list state sponsor? I have not really heard of that before?! I/we are willing to try anything!

Thanks so much again

Amelia

I've heard nothing yet.

There is a thread aimed at posting any news

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migrat...es-saying.html

VIC did issue a new VIC SS occupations list in April but it had changed very little from the old list so there were not any clues there unfortunately. But if they did not include your occupation on the recent change I don't know but maybe it is unlikely they are going to bring it into the SMP list as I imagine that will be a smaller version still of the SS list? Although VIC are very keen on people with a connection to VIC and who want to be there - so maybe?

I can't remember what VICs view was on off-list 176 SS - but have you tried asking whether they would consider giving you one?

Really sorry for you being in family sponsored priorities - it is all very unfair - is it worth looking at SS from another state?

Good luck - its all so frustrating

VickyMel

Guest nitsy
re vickymel

Thanks so much for your reply, I really appreciate it. How would I go about an off list state sponsor? I have not really heard of that before?! I/we are willing to try anything!

Thanks so much again

Amelia

Hi Amelia

Iam too in a similar situation as yours, family sponsored & applied with Victoria. Unfortunately Vic do not sponsor offlist nomination as I had checked with them some time back. They included their 500 off list slots in to the state sponsored count. So hard luck for us. Only way out would be if some employer could sponsor us. What is your occupation if you dont mind.

Regards,

nitsy

Guest khotkunal

Hello Ulaganayagn,

Job search is to be judged on indivisual cases as one might get it in weeks and other might take months.

Best of luck for your job search and have a safe journey. I will keep you posted about progress of my application.

Thanks and regards

KK...

Guest VickyMel

Hi Amelia

Iam too in a similar situation as yours, family sponsored & applied with Victoria. Unfortunately Vic do not sponsor offlist nomination as I had checked with them some time back. They included their 500 off list slots in to the state sponsored count. So hard luck for us. Only way out would be if some employer could sponsor us. What is your occupation if you dont mind.

Regards,

nitsy

Thanks Nitsy

I had no idea how VIC ran their off-list SS.

That is a pity especially as VIC are so big on wanting people who really want to be in VIC.

VickyMel

Guest parkinfour

Hi nitsy and vickymel,

thank you for the advice. James job is project manager so we are under the ASCO project administrator. We lodged at the end of april before yesterdays bombshell :( I always knew the journey would be hard and feel so gutted for those who didn't make the deadline.Even though we have lodged there is no way I feel like we will get processed without any further drama. I certainly feel veru distrustful of the whole system and won't be hoping that even though we have our TRN that it won't all get returned when the new SOL comes out. All we are focusing our efforts on now is trying to start job hunting in victoria and hoping we can find an employer sponsor.

My only string of hope is that all these changes will bring the processing times down and they clear the back log.

Good luck to you guys and thanks again for your advice Amelia x

Guest VickyMel

Sorry for repetition - I have posted this in a couple of places but I know some people only look at specific threads for info so just in case here it is for the VIC thread

Victoria are also suspending SS applications until July.

https://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au/about-us/news/2010/temporary-suspension-of-certain-general-skilled-migration-gsm-visas

Temporary Suspension of Certain General Skilled Migration (GSM) Visas

12 May 2010

On 7 May 2010 the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) announced its decision to temporarily suspend processing of certain General Skilled Migration (GSM) visa applications. This includes the following visa subclasses:

• Subclass 175 – Skilled Independent (Migrant) visa
  • Subclass 176 – Skilled Sponsored (Migrant) visa
  • Subclass 475 – Skilled Regional Sponsored (Provisional) visa.

Processing of certain State sponsorship applications by the Victorian Government is affected by the suspension to visa processing. If you currently have a sponsorship application in process, please read the information below.

• No further offshore sponsorship applications will be accepted until 1 July 2010.
  • If your sponsorship application is in process, and you have not lodged a visa application, the application will remain in process however a decision will not be made at this time. You will be advised of any change to this situation and it is requested that you do not enquire on the progress of your application.
  • If you lodged your visa application with DIAC prior to 8 May 2010 however did not include this information in your sponsorship application, you should advise the Skilled and Business Migration Program by 21 May 2010. No further information will be accepted after this date.
  • Onshore sponsorship applications will continue to be processed as normal.

The Skilled and Business Migration will be unable to answer queries regarding the suspension of visa applications and would advise you to contact DIAC if you have any questions.

Archived