Would you go back?

Guest inlimbo

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Didn't hurt did it? :biglaugh:

kev

It did actually...But yeah when my mum and dad dragged me here at age 17 , I honestly think they could have found happiness in another part of the uk...I love scotland so so beautiful...:spinny:

Guest guest30038
It did actually...But yeah when my mum and dad dragged me here at age 17 , I honestly think they could have found happiness in another part of the uk...I love scotland so so beautiful...:spinny:

I've found Tazzie now so that's 2nd best, although I hope to holiday in N Zealand one day. It's the history married to the Scottish landscape, that stirs me..........I swear, I could feel the misery as well as the beauty, every time I visited Glencoe

kev

I've found Tazzie now so that's 2nd best, although I hope to holiday in N Zealand one day. It's the history married to the Scottish landscape, that stirs me..........I swear, I could feel the misery as well as the beauty, every time I visited Glencoe

kev

yeah I love my history I love standing in a 1000 year old building and feeling the energy of everything and everybody that has been there before and as you say it is a tangible feeling....awesome !!

I miss the history so so much ...taking the kids back for 4 weeks next christmas 2010 cant wait for that !!

Guest inlimbo

kev

You must feel at home in tazzie though , it has the same weather as scotland..:cute:

Guest inlimbo
yeah I love my history I love standing in a 1000 year old building and feeling the energy of everything and everybody that has been there before and as you say it is a tangible feeling....awesome !!

I miss the history so so much ...taking the kids back for 4 weeks next christmas 2010 cant wait for that !!

get a monthly national trust pass.:spinny:

Guest jackie Macdonald
. We have found that Oz suited us perfectly when we had very young children, but now they have grown things are different. I don't necessarily buy into this 'better for the kids' notion.

Precisely! that was a huge influence on my decision to return to the UK . Although the freedom offered here for young children is considered wonderful, it isn't an environment I want for them as young adults.. I have met far too many aussies who have never left Perth, either because they are happy in their world or because of the expense involved in travelling. I know I am bias, and the economic climate isn't great here at the moment but all the same, I really do feel the UK offers them the best opportunities in life.

jackie x

. We have found that Oz suited us perfectly when we had very young children, but now they have grown things are different. I don't necessarily buy into this 'better for the kids' notion.

Precisely! that was a huge influence on my decision to return to the UK . Although the freedom offered here for young children is considered wonderful, it isn't an environment I want for them as young adults.. I have met far too many aussies who have never left Perth, either because they are happy in their world or because of the expense involved in travelling. I know I am bias, and the economic climate isn't great here at the moment but all the same, I really do feel the UK offers them the best opportunities in life.

jackie x

Totally agree with you Jackie , I have just put the kids into a private school..I cannot take them back to Uk for longer than 2 month until they turn 16 so when they have finished or nearly finished I am going to take them them for a year ..."sell it as a gap year around eurpoe..take a friend if necessary". My hope then is that they then want to stay but who knows on that one have to wait and see but so much more for them to do and experience within a short distance in uk/europe........:smile:

Guest guest30038
You must feel at home in tazzie though , it has the same weather as scotland..

Went in January for 16 days............rained for 13 of 'em :arghh:...........so yes, you're right :biglaugh:

kev

Excuse my French but what a load of !! I am a very very positive person and see the good in everyone...."a do gooder if you like" but I know in my heart where I need to be and it aint here !!:realmad:

Well said Wishful

It was indeed a load of bollocks! Just because a person doesnt like it here doesnt mean that they are bitter and twisted, depressed, nuts or in any way, shape or form, off their trolley. I too am a positive do-gooder (for want of a better word) LOL but that doesnt mean I walk around with blinkers on and I do tend to call a spade a spade!

kev

Agreed Glencoe is eerie. I know you have a love for the highlands, what about Llanberis and Llanberis pass in North wales- stunning.

I had a 150 mile drive to north wales yesterday .A place called Llansanon, a village in a valley.

Its surrounded by hills not mountains .........but the scenery!

Luckily it was dry and reasonably sunny. I only hit the rain when i got towards Brum.

Probably not, some people will find something to moan about where ever they lay their hat.

Very true,your just stating a simple fact as far as i can see,a harmless post that "strangely" some people have got a bit wound up/touchy about! :wacko::biggrin:

Guest guest30038
Agreed Glencoe is eerie. I know you have a love for the highlands, what about Llanberis and Llanberis pass in North wales- stunning.

Yes, absolutely beautiful. I did most of my mountain leadership training at Capel Curig............jeeeez..............never thought I'd say it but I'm getting homesick. I can feel another trip to Tazzie coming on.

kev

Yes, absolutely beautiful. I did most of my mountain leadership training at Capel Curig............jeeeez..............never thought I'd say it but I'm getting homesick. I can feel another trip to Tazzie coming on.

kev

Well Kev,iam off to Croyde Bay,North Devon,for a week.

This is our bolt hole ,at least twice a year.

Just a caravan site,great evening entertainment,situated near a surf beach( not a surf beach to oz standards,but a sandy expanse just the same)

email me @ championcd@yahoo.com- i will send you some pics - Andy

Guest PhilBen

With the recent strength of the AUD / sterling weakness - in terms of the exchange rate, (trading close to 12-year lows) - it is a good time for those considering moving back into the U.k to secure a rate of exchange (selling AUD into GBP)

Guest guest30038
Well Kev,iam off to Croyde Bay,North Devon,for a week.

This is our bolt hole ,at least twice a year.

Just a caravan site,great evening entertainment,situated near a surf beach( not a surf beach to oz standards,but a sandy expanse just the same)

email me @ championcd@yahoo.com- i will send you some pics - Andy

Thanks, but don't wanna know mate............enough seeds of doubt atm :unsure:

kev

Guest guest17301

Aaah Kev..bless ya, I saw some great pics on FB of a mates hol in Corwall, some lovely olde worlde style pics, made me nostalgic, you know the stuff, pubs, great coastline etc..just remember you can only enjoy it for around 2/52 instead of 40/52!

Guest itskaren
:mask:Same here,I'm not unhappy as my kids are happy and that's the most important things for us as we came out here to give them a better life,and my eldest will never go back to live but who knows later on in life I hope he may wish to travel. On the other hand if my OH said we're going back (bear in mind he would never say that) I would go back tomorrow!!!

Me too. My kids are so happy and love the school. I just could not pull them away from that. Although I would go home at a 'drop of a hat'.:sad:

Guest guest30038
Aaah Kev..bless ya, I saw some great pics on FB of a mates hol in Corwall, some lovely olde worlde style pics, made me nostalgic, you know the stuff, pubs, great coastline etc..just remember you can only enjoy it for around 2/52 instead of 40/52!

Yeah Fiona, but 2 weeks there, or two weeks in the highlands of Scotland (for me) are worth 52 of Brizzy surrounds............you climb a mountain here and you can't see bugger all for rainforest. One just has to tell ones self that the only reason that it's different in the UK is that the landowners chopped down all the bloody trees! :biglaugh:

kev

kev

Talkin bout eerie went to the caravan club site near culloden , went on a yomp round not far from battle ground with dogs went so far both would not budge , a border collie and a nutty ,with a capital N boxer ,both set and wouldnt budge ,boxer would run thro a plate glass window but it crapped me up

mally

Guest guest30038
Talkin bout eerie went to the caravan club site near culloden , went on a yomp round not far from battle ground with dogs went so far both would not budge , a border collie and a nutty ,with a capital N boxer ,both set and wouldnt budge ,boxer would run thro a plate glass window but it crapped me up

mally

Bloody strange that you should say that Mally. I had three border collies back in the UK. Me and the missus crawled into a burial mound at Ardmore Point on the Isle of Skye and called the dogs in. They were hesitant but came in...........the moment they came in their hackles went up and the bitch started howling just like a wolf howling at the moon......fair put the willies up me.......couldn't get outta there quick enough.

Spoilingofthedyke.jpg?t=1249049609

kev

Bloody strange that you should say that Mally. I had three border collies back in the UK. Me and the missus crawled into a burial mound at Ardmore Point on the Isle of Skye and called the dogs in. They were hesitant but came in...........the moment they came in their hackles went up and the bitch started howling just like a wolf howling at the moon......fair put the willies up me.......couldn't get outta there quick enough.

kev

My misses does that most nights :Randy-git:

Guest guest30038
My misses does that most nights

Agony or ecstasy?..............the former I'm betting :tongue::biglaugh:

kev

Guest guest30038
Glencoe really puts the ****s up me , beautiful place but its the silence , took mutts for a walk couldnt sleep very early mornin , no birds or owt just deathly silence , it really is weird but beautiful

Mally

Here ya go Mally..........This shot I took really stirs me......and a bit of history to go with it

IMG_1947%20__-1300.jpg

Following the suppression of the First Jacobite Uprising, King William offered pardons to Jacobite clan chiefs, provided they swore allegiance to him by December 31, 1691. Although the MacDonalds of Glen Coe intended to do so, they delayed leaving until the 30th. They went wrongly to Inverlochy (now Fort William) and were further delayed by the weather. As a result they arrived late and took the oath five days after the deadline. William decided to make an example of the clan. He enlisted the Campbells, longtime enemies of the Macdonald to do so and the Massacre at Glen Coe was the result.

The massacre had roots in the Campbell-MacDonald feud, which dated back to 1500. The Campbells were prosperous and ambitious - with friends in high places. The MacDonalds were notorious, particularly for their ability to make cattle "disappear."

In 1501 the Glen Coe MacDonalds (with others) captured the Campbell fortress on Loch Awe, rescuing Donald Dhu - the last Lord of the Isles. Donald Dhu had been imprisoned for more than 40 years by his Campbell grandfather.

For years skirmishes and raids took place around Glen Lyon. In the early years of the conflict 36 Glen Coe MacDonalds were hanged by Mad Colin Campbell of Glen Lyon. In 1646 the MacDonalds attacked the Campbells after a wedding, killing 36. In 1685, when the Campbells' power was at low ebb (two Earls of Argyll had been executed), the MacDonalds pillaged Campbell land and effectively ruined many families. Scottish leaders often took advantage of the longstanding feud as well. The Campbells fought with Cromwell and the MacDonalds fought with Montrose during the Civil War.

At the time of the massacre, the MacDonald clan consisted of several hundred people in an area of approximately 10 miles. The clan was led by Alastair, 12th chief. He had fought with Bonnie Dundee and had a long career of raiding. He had been imprisoned in Inverary for either committing or allowing the murder of one of his clan, but escaped. He was well over six feet and had long white hair with a spiked mustache. Intensely popular with his clan, he was not as well regarded by many in the Highlands.

The massacre was led by Captain Robert Campbell, the great-grandson of Mad Colin and one of those families who had been damaged by MacDonald raids in 1685. He was 60 and his niece was married to Alastair's son. He was an alcoholic and gambler who had lost much of what remained of his estate due to incompetence and vice. Despite these facts, he may not have been aware of his mission when he first went to the MacDonalds.

Campbell arrived at Glen Coe and asked quarters for two companies (approximately 120 men). They were housed and fed for ten days before Campbell received written orders from Major Robert Duncanson. They were ordered specifically to "root out the old fox and his cubs" and to put everyone under 70 "to the sword."

On February 13, 1692, the massacre took place as planned in various parts of Glen Coe. At Inverrigan, Invercoe, Carnoch, Achnacon and Achtriochtan, members of the MacDonald clan were killed. In all perhaps 30 were killed and 300 fled to the hills. Many died of cold and starvation. Incredibly two of the chief's sons and a grandson escaped.

Within two weeks news of the massacre was out and a pamphlet by Charles Lesley, an Irishman, turned the event into national scandal. It was particularly abhorrent to Highlanders, because it violated their strict code of hospitality and because of the government's complicity in its genocidal intent. In spite of the outrage, there were no long term repercussions for the perpetrators.

However, John, the 13th MacDonald Chief was given a pardon and rebuilt his home. Ironically John's brother, Alastair fought in 1715 alongside John Campbell, who had led the massacre. As a result, both had their estates confiscated.

This information is from various sources, primarily from the National Trust for Scotland's Glen Coe publication.

Archived