Packing medicines

Dawn75

Hi , when I eventually move to Oz I was wondering about packing medicines, ie my contraceptive pills ( say 6 mths worth ) kids Calpol , my asthma inhalers, kids vitamins etc .

Is it ok to carry these in luggage on plane ? :unsure:

Hiya i brought a few months worth supply in my suitcase and had no probems at customs. I also sent a large nappy box full of medicines,creams,c-pill etc in my container and this was all cleared without issue too.

Hope this helps

Cal x

Guest proud2beaussie

You probably won't have any problems but with prescription medicines it may be adviseable to have a letter from your GP with you as technically you are only allowed to bring in 3 months worth of prescription medicine,but you should't really have any probs.

HALLO!!!! Australia isnt a third world country! We have all that stuff you know!!!

We know, and we also know that some aspects of your health care system are better than UK, but for two reasons we might want to bring supplies with us:

1. We can get them cheaper in UK

2. It will save rushing around to see a Dr in those frantic first few weeks.

Has anyone had any problems getting a larger supply than normal from your GP?

HALLO!!!! Australia isnt a third world country! We have all that stuff you know!!!

lol, on no you dont!!!! You cant get Calpol over here and neither do Drs have access to Cilest Contreceptive pill.

As most women will know swapping pills isnt like swapping headache tablets it can play havoc with your body, moving acros the world is stressful enough without the added pressure of trying various pills to find one that suits..

And most mums know what its like when young children are poorley and wont take other medicine,i have been here 3 years and my little girl wont swallow any other child medicine(believe me i have tried them all),lol, i have to have Calpol Sachets sent from the UK.

Pretty much everything else i have found equivalents for but these 2 things ,,im still stuck!- and not by choice

Cal x

We know, and we also know that some aspects of your health care system are better than UK, but for two reasons we might want to bring supplies with us:

1. We can get them cheaper in UK

2. It will save rushing around to see a Dr in those frantic first few weeks.

Has anyone had any problems getting a larger supply than normal from your GP?

For the 6 months leading upto the move i just went to the chemist every other week and put a repeat script in. Had no problems. In the final week i saw the Dr and asked for a double script to tide me over until i had chance to find a GP here ,again all sweet and double script given.

(I also did the same with the little ones prescribed skin cream, but thankfully the heat has worked wonders and she rarely needs it over here)

Cal x

Guest proud2beaussie
i have to have Calpol Sachets sent from the UK

Be careful Cal,I get a weekly email from the customs department about any upcoming changes and I recently got one that mentioned increased screening of postal articles from the UK and as it is technically illegal to import medicines without permission you may get a nasty surprise.

I'll see if I can find the email and forward it to you although I may have deleted it when I did a system upgrade last week,I'll try and find it though.

Guest gary12

Bring Calpol, childrens ibuprofen and cough mixtures, antihistamines etc, you can get them here (childrens paracetamol not the brand Calpol) but it is so expensive. I think I paid about $13 for a bottle of ibuprofen for kids for 100ml, stock up in the supermarket.

I also bought inhalers with us and the tubes that small children use. I have just had to buy a new tube and it cost me $40.

Yes of course Oz has all of the items you will need probably under different names but nothing worse than it being the middle of the night and trying to get a sick child to take something that looks different.

regards

Michelle

Be careful Cal,I get a weekly email from the customs department about any upcoming changes and I recently got one that mentioned increased screening of postal articles from the UK and as it is technically illegal to import medicines without permission you may get a nasty surprise.

I'll see if I can find the email and forward it to you although I may have deleted it when I did a system upgrade last week,I'll try and find it though.

I have always had the sender write on the parcel what is inside, most of the time new arrivals bring it for me(perks of the job i guess,lol) it is the Calpol travel sachets i have to get as my little princess will not have anything that comes from a medicine looking bottle, i have tried everythingggggggg even mixing it with juice,lol.

Thanks for the heads up though

Cal x

Guest proud2beaussie

If you haven't had any drama before because it's clear what is inside the package then I don't think you should have any problems now either-I think it's more the large quantities of things like Sudafed that they are taregetting.

Thanks everyone- I think I will stock up on the Calpol !! My little girl is ok with new stuff but my boy is terrible at trying new things!! I was only worried really for when we first arrive- like everyone says its stressful trying to settle and sort everything out . Just would be nice to have the usual stuff to hand until I suss out whats what in the shops and chemists !! :)

lol, on no you dont!!!! You cant get Calpol over here and neither do Drs have access to Cilest Contreceptive pill.

As most women will know swapping pills isnt like swapping headache tablets it can play havoc with your body, moving acros the world is stressful enough without the added pressure of trying various pills to find one that suits..

And most mums know what its like when young children are poorley and wont take other medicine,i have been here 3 years and my little girl wont swallow any other child medicine(believe me i have tried them all),lol, i have to have Calpol Sachets sent from the UK.

Pretty much everything else i have found equivalents for but these 2 things ,,im still stuck!- and not by choice

Cal x

TRy mixin them with a little honey worked with my little finneky mite ,now shes 19 just mix em with vodka (jokin?)

i take so many pills its not nice, when my packers came they kept on saying, do you need these, do you need these? and unfortunalty i do. I had no problems at all bringing them to oz as they all had stickers on showing my name and dr. done worry hun you will be fine x x x

Archived