Sensitive Issue (maybe one for the ladies!)!!!

Poca&Dan

Sorry, some might find this a personal question but just wondered if anyone might answer it for me! I am moving to Melbourne in January and am unsure what to do about contraception, is it free over there like here or will I be expected to pay and if so what sort of price will I be looking at paying?!

Thanks any info would be much appreciated!

Guest mandisfam
Sorry, some might find this a personal question but just wondered if anyone might answer it for me! I am moving to Melbourne in January and am unsure what to do about contraception, is it free over there like here or will I be expected to pay and if so what sort of price will I be looking at paying?!

Thanks any info would be much appreciated!

Hi, Was reading in my living and working in Oz book today and it said that contraception is not free in Oz. You get it from a GP and pay for it just like any other prescription. At the time of print I think it was Jan 2008, it was $31 and some cents for each prescription, must higher than the UK.

Hopefully, when the girls in Oz wake up, there will be able to answer this more for you.

Mandisfam

Guest Tracy Murphy

Having 2 young kids helps too.....unless you are trying to avoid having any in the first place.....those were the days!!!!!!

Guest Burness2Oz

Whats a good thread, I have the coil fitted which I hear is expensive in OZ so I intend to get a new one before I leave the UK which will last 5yrs!!

Guest Burness2Oz

I bet because of the title all the blokes will think 'wicked this will be about boobs' or something and will all be reading it with disappointment!!! How funny!!!

Guest hazeotoole

I hear the Snip for the lads is 400 dollars and 187 dollars back if you have medicare (my uncle had it done the other day in Perth, its about 500 euro here privately to have it done. worth thinking about let the men worry about things for a change thats our plan anyway I have been sliced and diced too many times now :)

Good morning! Mandisfam is pretty much right, you go to the GP, get the prescription, pay for it, but only claim your GP bill through medicare. Of course, some forms of contraception are cheaper than others as you would already know, so you would have to compare prices. There are family planning clinics too. Cheers Olly

Hi, I remember reading a post similar before I emigrated - someone suggested going to your UK DR and getting a years supply - don't know if this worked out - but someone said that they just said to their Doc that they were going to give it a year and see so could they please have a supply of pills. Got to be worth a try.

i did bring a years supply of the pill,lol, glad i did as they don't do the same brand here or an exact equivalent so it would have meant chopping and changing until i found one that suited and tbh i couldn't be bothered going through all that.

(if you do bring lots with you , don't forget to get regular blood pressure checks at a local clinic.)

Also be aware you cannot get the pill here if you are over 35 and smoke.

Cal x

I hear the Snip for the lads is 400 dollars and 187 dollars back if you have medicare (my uncle had it done the other day in Perth, its about 500 euro here privately to have it done. worth thinking about let the men worry about things for a change thats our plan anyway I have been sliced and diced too many times now :)

That's quite a bit cheaper than going privately here. Marie Stopes (which also has branches in Oz) quote £420 in the UK

Guest guest17301

My UK GP would only give me a months supply- said that was all he was allowed to supply as we were emigrating. Used them and been relying on the ahem - 'natural' method ever since:shocked: Need to organise something though as my hormones going crazy now not suppressed by the pill! I'm in my mid 30's and not keen to use hormone based contraception any more...and OH won't have the snip! LOL, any ideas?? I don't want any more babies but not ready for sterlisation either?

Guest mandisfam
My UK GP would only give me a months supply- said that was all he was allowed to supply as we were emigrating. Used them and been relying on the ahem - 'natural' method ever since:shocked: Need to organise something though as my hormones going crazy now not suppressed by the pill! I'm in my mid 30's and not keen to use hormone based contraception any more...and OH won't have the snip! LOL, any ideas?? I don't want any more babies but not ready for sterlisation either?

condoms.....

Guest mandisfam
Hmmmm- passion killers..not much else to choose from though is there!

a little bit i suppose, depends how quick you can get them on....:biglaugh::biglaugh:

I am on depo jab and get a perscription for it costing $10 every 3 months my gp bulk bills so no appointment fee just that for the script

SIL is on the pill tablet form and that costs her a bit more but not a huge amount

Fiona, we used the "natural" method, along with condoms, and ended up with number 5! Funnily enough, he was straight off to the GP then. :cute:

My friend got promised by his wife he could buy himself a porsche if he had the snip, he had the car 12months before the snip!!! I got promised a bit more:Randy-git: i hate it when she lies!!!!!!! 15 mins in and out just walk with a limp for a while, i hated the idea but glad now as i hate the idea of wife popping pills for years on end.

Guest Magnetic6
Fiona, we used the "natural" method, along with condoms, and ended up with number 5! Funnily enough, he was straight off to the GP then. :cute:

If my husband gave me number 5, it wouldn't be off to the nice kind GP's. More like a couple of bricks in his lunch hour would do the trick!!!

Guest guest17301

Oh no don't tell me that...no more kids- it would be a disaster! I have to persuade him to go for the snip....or wear 2 at a time,lol

Guest guest17301

Has anyone found that with the pill or injection their sex drive decreases? May as well not bother with contraception for me when I'm taking the pill! Another story when I'm not- sorry too much information, lol

Thanks this is all very helpful and comical! I currently have the implant but I hate it and am planning to have it removed before we set off for the big move! Don't want the injection as it increases risk of osteoperosis and ms so think the pill ismy only option, i'll have to try and blag asupply off him, the only problem is i've recently changed drs due to moving and so don;t have that rapport yet! oh well worth a try, if not we'll just have to cross our fingers and hope for the best!!!!!

Archived