Contraversial - East v West!!

racht

I am trying to tiptoe around this post without offending anyone with this delicate issue!

We are currently living in Sandhurst which is a lovely suburb. The houses are gorgeous and the views of the golf course are even better! The only downside is the commute into the City which takes minimum of an hour in rush hour whether by train or car. We have fields surrounding us yet are only a 5 minute drive to about 4 different sets of shops. I dont really care much for many of the surrounding areas but it is all about personal preferences, what suits me may not suit you.

When we first arrived in Melbourne, we were surprised by how each suburb runs into another coming out from the City...I guess we should have expected it with Melbourne's geography but I have to say we thought there would be more parkland in the closer City suburbs (that was just our preconception, others may think the opposite).

From reading Poms In Oz, prior to arriving in Australia, I had formed the opinion that we HAD to live in the East. We couldnt possibly consider the West as it had been described as industrial, with no or little infrastructure. In my mind there would be cooling towers everywhere and lots of grey buildings.

Yesterday we went for a drive which initially lead us to Sanctuary Lakes (the sister suburb/estate of Sandhurst). My jaw dropped as soon as we left the city. It was nothing like it had been described (or maybe how my imagination had interpreted the description). It was green quite soon after the City. There were some factories etc close to the city but they were really close to the City. The grafftiti was far less than you see on the East side and the houses seemed well maintained. I realise they are newer but even the gardens were well manicured, which to me speaks a lot about the people living there. I do realise there are older areas that are/were Council owned (not sure what they are classed as) but they are in set areas from what I can see.

I know that a lot (possibly all) of the houses in the Point Cook area are new and not everybody likes new houses but personally, having just renovated an Edwardian house in the UK, I've had my fill of period homes!

I am not sure if these areas have changed a lot (having never seen them before) but I would urge anyone who has not been to the East in the last year or so to go and see for yourselves. Please dont judge them and post on here without going. It puts people from the UK off. Fair enough if you have been recently and form a negative opinion - then put it but from what I can tell a lot of people are just writing about what they have heard about it.

We then continued down to Geelong and apart from an area around an oil refinery in the North I found it difficult to find much in the way of heavy industry. The drive from Point Cook area to Geelong was green and pleasant. Maybe the time of year helps but I wouldnt say countryside is bland and bleak (this made me think it was grey building after grey building, only broken up by the odd cooling tower)! Also it was nice to drive further than 2kms without seeing a McDonalds!

After stopping for lunch in Geelong (it has plenty of period homes if that is what you are looking for which appeared very well kept). We liked Geelong very much and found a great playground for the kids hidden in a beautiful park up above the City on the coast.

We then headed further south to Torquay. OMG it was lovely. If my husband didnt have to go to CBD to work I would live there in an instant. Beautiful.

May I point out before hiding in a bunker while a barrage of abuse is hurled my way that everybody's views are subjective so nothing beats actually viewing a place for yourself.

The whole point of my post is just to say to people who have not yet made the move, please dont discount somewhere based on what others say, go and view for yourselves. Nothing can replace actually getting into a car and having a look for yourself.

I love where we live in the East but would definately live in Sanctuary Lakes which would halve my husbands commute to work every day....very tempting.

Right, now where is that bunker?:laugh:

Its not a controversial subject at all. It does come down to personal preference.

Those that live in the west love it those that live in the east love it and never the twain shall meet has always been the way it is here in Melbourne.

Geelong has undergone an urban transformation over the last decade or more and is very nice now, mind you I did not mind it before. There were always good and bad areas of Geelong just like everywhere else. Only problem is now that work is scarcer with not so much industry around.

There is a lot of unemployment around Geelong as a lot of the people did the unskilled jobs.

Also Geelong has harsher water restrictions than Melbourne as its drier over there and they do not have access to the Melbourne Reservoirs.

Guest iselinger

Its not just Melbourne. Same applies to North / South of the harbour in Sydney and don't even think of bringing up North / South of the River in London!!

This tends to be one subject where the grass isn't greener.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Rachael

Thank you for a great post, and I totally agree that people need to come out and judge for themselves, we have had people come and were adamant that they wanted to settle in the West but then chose the East, what does it matter what other people say, think or do, the main thing is that as a family YOU are happy!!!

Sounds like you had a lovely day out yesterday.

Kate

Guest latina

Thanks Rachel for this post.

I have to say, I had a similar feeling from reading people's impressions in forums and was heading for the East with no second thoughts.

Ultimately, the key factor for me is going to be where my husband and I find a job but with what you are saying, I'll definitely consider other areas of Melbourne.

Very useful post!

I don't know if this is an Urban myth but it makes sense and may help.

The West has always been seen as an undesirable area even b4 the factories. Once the City area is found you get the East West divide. People would rather travel to work with the sun on their back rather than going into the sun same on the return journey. If you live in the west you have the sun in your eyes the whole time. This may seem a silly and trivial reason but it makes sense.

As for your comments your right, to many people bang on about how good the east of Melbourne is.

If you want large gardens established trees old houses the east is great, driving down tree lined streets seeing older buildings, there is something special about that I agree.

But if you want to put your own stamp on something, watch change, feel apart of it, want your money to work harder for you the West is the place to go.

Yes the west may have a more industral feel about it but that will change just look at the docklands in Mebourne, a fair wack of that was the railway yards.

Research on the internet is all well and good but going for a drive, taking a walk is the only way to go.

I have to disagree with Petals slightly - I know a few people that have move from east to west and vice versa and loving it both ways. I would like to think that the east/west divide is weakening. Having said that I have an Uncle who lives in the east and has not been across the bridge in 20 years and has no intention of doing so - oh well, his loss, I say!

I live in the west and love it and there are heaps of people on here who live it the east and love it. Both sides have their pros and cons, it's up to you to decide which is right for you

Guest Gunner
I am trying to tiptoe around this post without offending anyone with this delicate issue!

We are currently living in Sandhurst which is a lovely suburb. The houses are gorgeous and the views of the golf course are even better! The only downside is the commute into the City which takes minimum of an hour in rush hour whether by train or car. We have fields surrounding us yet are only a 5 minute drive to about 4 different sets of shops. I dont really care much for many of the surrounding areas but it is all about personal preferences, what suits me may not suit you.

When we first arrived in Melbourne, we were surprised by how each suburb runs into another coming out from the City...I guess we should have expected it with Melbourne's geography but I have to say we thought there would be more parkland in the closer City suburbs (that was just our preconception, others may think the opposite).

From reading Poms In Oz, prior to arriving in Australia, I had formed the opinion that we HAD to live in the East. We couldnt possibly consider the West as it had been described as industrial, with no or little infrastructure. In my mind there would be cooling towers everywhere and lots of grey buildings.

Yesterday we went for a drive which initially lead us to Sanctuary Lakes (the sister suburb/estate of Sandhurst). My jaw dropped as soon as we left the city. It was nothing like it had been described (or maybe how my imagination had interpreted the description). It was green quite soon after the City. There were some factories etc close to the city but they were really close to the City. The grafftiti was far less than you see on the East side and the houses seemed well maintained. I realise they are newer but even the gardens were well manicured, which to me speaks a lot about the people living there. I do realise there are older areas that are/were Council owned (not sure what they are classed as) but they are in set areas from what I can see.

I know that a lot (possibly all) of the houses in the Point Cook area are new and not everybody likes new houses but personally, having just renovated an Edwardian house in the UK, I've had my fill of period homes!

I am not sure if these areas have changed a lot (having never seen them before) but I would urge anyone who has not been to the East in the last year or so to go and see for yourselves. Please dont judge them and post on here without going. It puts people from the UK off. Fair enough if you have been recently and form a negative opinion - then put it but from what I can tell a lot of people are just writing about what they have heard about it.

We then continued down to Geelong and apart from an area around an oil refinery in the North I found it difficult to find much in the way of heavy industry. The drive from Point Cook area to Geelong was green and pleasant. Maybe the time of year helps but I wouldnt say countryside is bland and bleak (this made me think it was grey building after grey building, only broken up by the odd cooling tower)! Also it was nice to drive further than 2kms without seeing a McDonalds!

After stopping for lunch in Geelong (it has plenty of period homes if that is what you are looking for which appeared very well kept). We liked Geelong very much and found a great playground for the kids hidden in a beautiful park up above the City on the coast.

We then headed further south to Torquay. OMG it was lovely. If my husband didnt have to go to CBD to work I would live there in an instant. Beautiful.

May I point out before hiding in a bunker while a barrage of abuse is hurled my way that everybody's views are subjective so nothing beats actually viewing a place for yourself.

The whole point of my post is just to say to people who have not yet made the move, please dont discount somewhere based on what others say, go and view for yourselves. Nothing can replace actually getting into a car and having a look for yourself.

I love where we live in the East but would definately live in Sanctuary Lakes which would halve my husbands commute to work every day....very tempting.

Right, now where is that bunker?:laugh:

The West appeals to Poms with its shiny new houses complete with movie room for $300K - $400k. Soulless new estates with purpose built lakes and fountains look great, even Kath and Kim love them. However the reality of living West, I suggest is completely different. Those who can generally stay in the East for a reason.

The West appeals to Poms with its shiny new houses complete with movie room for $300K - $400k. Soulless new estates with purpose built lakes and fountains look great, even Kath and Kim love them. However the reality of living West, I suggest is completely different. Those who can generally stay in the East for a reason.

LOL I guess you came from down south :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest Gunner
LOL I guess you came from down south :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Wow! you would make a great gypsy.

North london to be exact.

Pete

Archived