Dilemma,stay or go home.

rockola57

Well we have been here in Adelaide 8 months(wife,3 sons 17,18,24)None of us particularily like it even though we all have pretty good and excellent jobs,and if we are honest with ourselves would,in retrospect,love to return to where we were at 8 months ago.The feeling that you owe it to yourself to give it your best shot is the big issue here, half hoping our outlook will change as if by some miracle,and we will become settled here.Everyday though,the old"Home is where the heart is"syndrome kicks in,with friends,family,familiar surroundings and the everyday way of British life.Luckily,we have a house to go back to,though still owe 10 yrs mortgage on.Does anyone else have similar thoughts on where they really,really want to be?

Guest cruella

Hi Rockola,

Give it some time, eight months is not very long - try and join clubs(tennis,gyms,cricket for the boys etc). Get out there and do your best to fit in and if you still feel the same way in 6 months reconsider your decision then. I have been here 27 years and I still want to go home! There are lots of people on this site, many of whom will live in Adelaide who can and will want to help so take up their offer. A little help along the way may be all it takes to help you settle.

Well we have been here in Adelaide 8 months(wife,3 sons 17,18,24)None of us particularily like it even though we all have pretty good and excellent jobs,and if we are honest with ourselves would,in retrospect,love to return to where we were at 8 months ago.The feeling that you owe it to yourself to give it your best shot is the big issue here, half hoping our outlook will change as if by some miracle,and we will become settled here.Everyday though,the old"Home is where the heart is"syndrome kicks in,with friends,family,familiar surroundings and the everyday way of British life.Luckily,we have a house to go back to,though still owe 10 yrs mortgage on.Does anyone else have similar thoughts on where they really,really want to be?

Personally , i think if my kids were your kids ages i would head home , if that's where you heart lies . You are all adults and have the freedom to ' feel good ' about your life and your future . My kids are younger and it's complex why we are giving it a couple of years but if i had no strings like you , i'd be back home . I have been here 8 mnths and like you , i have never thought WOW. I think if you never have you never will , but others may say different . I know exactly how you feel . Sometimes it takes you to move away to appriciate what you really had in the first place and just how interesting and good it really was.Those are just my personal thoughts .

Guest guest17301

I agree in that if you don't like it at the start you're not likely to in the future...like a bad bottle of wine...you keep sipping hoping the taste will improve- it doesn't- it just makes you feel sick....I say get yourselves back home.

I lived here returned to live in the Uk hated living there for a while as it was unfamiliar then got used to it and settled. We then returned here to live and the same thing happened did not like it at all as I was used to the UK, then got used to it again and its ok now.

Everything is different and the way things are done is different, the layers of government we have here are different.

Its brown here not green that is different.

Old cars around, and cars are expensive that is different.

Laid back atmosphere different.

Not feeling included horrible and different.

Not feeling belong horrible and different.

Although think about it most of Australias population was not born in this country at the present time so there are a lot of people who feel just like you.

I am surprised you got your children to come with you at their ages. I don't believe mine would have.

We have been here over thirty years now and its home for us now. Our roots will always be in the UK but if we all went home it would be a bit crowded over there.

Have you visited Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, for the young Melbourne would have to be the best place as lot more to do.

Nah, life's too short to be miserable trying to get a life to make you feel happy. If you had it all back in UK then go back to it. No guarantee that after 2, 5, 25 years of trying it is going to feel any better you just have fewer options!

Guest ElizaBee

I think maybe you should follow your intuition (and your heart) and do whats best for your family.

If that is moving home to the UK, well go for it.

I'm not sure that a change of State or spending more time here will change your minds, thats in my experience anyway, I'm sure there are people who have different experiences.

We spent 1 1/2 years in Perth and didn't really settle, went home to UK for a year ( because of husbands job) and have lived here in Melbourne for 10 years.

We were happy for about the first 5 years, although not 100% settled, but its a great place and we got on with life here. There was always this little niggle though, and i purposely didnot go home to visit because i could not face saying goodbye to my family again.

I told my husband that if i go over to the UK for a visit i would refuse to get on the plane back here!

Sometimes you just plod on for years, although i dont regret a minute of it.

But think i would start to if we stayed another 10 years.

I think you have had a great adventure moving to Oz. Try and see the positives of your trip here. Have family discussions etc, and if you decide to move back you life will only have been richer for the experience for having lived in another country.

My very best wishes to you, you certainly aren't alone!

Archived