Oz or UK ?

bunbury61

The question of Oz or UK depends a lot on age. You can't compare the many opportunities in Oz for a young person as opposed to the UK. As for someone a bit older and established financially the UK offers a lot culturally and for travel. I've been in Sydney for over thirty years and am thinking of returning to the UK with my partner for a couple of years, and the finanial aspects are our priority. I think the vast amount of "failures" of people who arrive in Oz from the UK and return home are the ones who simply try to bring the old country with them, settle in a crap part of Oz, or genuinely miss familly. As a young man I couldn't leave the UK fast enough, and have been lucky to live in some beautiful parts of Australia and New Zealand. For me there is no argument where to live if you hope to "kick on" in life.

Iam currently getting conflicting reports about the situation in Oz ,right now.

Personally,i have been back in the UK ,since 94 ,and always planned to return to Oz.

But i look at my life here in the UK,and it is full now,and iam contented.

As i have stated before,the weathers usually indifferent, the houses are small, the roads are full of traffic, we have social breakdown in a lot of areas, but having recently travelled in the U.S and Europe ,only one country beats the UK , and thats France.

The French have it all, lifestyle,weather, culture,scenery,wealth,and the worlds greatest capital city,but thats for another post.

My brother has got a habit of moaning about things here,when he comes home( as iam sure he does over in oz).

My reply is always the same,"If you dont like it ,get on a plane ,and p..ss off back to Melbourne".

I know about the faults of the UK, and Oz ( ive spent time in Melbourne and Sydney,and no thanks).

I think a lot depends on the persons emotions too.

I am British marrid to an Australian (his family have been out there since the 1800's). We were living in Adelaide, a lovely city, but it just was not for me. I am so thankful that my husband loves the UK (taking out British Citizenship), and we will only be returning for holidays to visit his family.

Also I think (morbid I know) you should ask yourself if the worst was to happen and one of you passes away..would you still want to remain or would you want to return "home"?

For us its the UK with all its problems, and I'm so grateful my other half feels the same..Maybe I'd feel differently if we lived in a different area, but we are in Northumberland and plan to stay.

Guest marriedtoanaussie

I am the same. We are returning to Uk after only 5 months and my aussie husband is looking fwd to it. He was adored in my home town and really enjoyed weekend jaunts to Europe, Wales, Scotland Ireland. We have plans to see more of my Country when we return-good old UK as we have finally put Australia to bed!

My biggest gripe is the attitude to our return from some of his friends over here-poor guy having to return to that hell hole because his Pommy wife cant handle it here, when most of them havent even visited the UK-the arrogance!

Oh we got that too....from Aussies who had never been further than Tassie or the Gold Coast! My hubby has loads of mates here in the UK who all think he is mad for living here.."you left Australia to come here?" they say. "You must be mad".....Nahhh Australia for a holiday now and again, but the UK is our home.

I think a lot depends on the persons emotions too.

I am British marrid to an Australian (his family have been out there since the 1800's). We were living in Adelaide, a lovely city, but it just was not for me. I am so thankful that my husband loves the UK (taking out British Citizenship), and we will only be returning for holidays to visit his family.

Also I think (morbid I know) you should ask yourself if the worst was to happen and one of you passes away..would you still want to remain or would you want to return "home"?

For us its the UK with all its problems, and I'm so grateful my other half feels the same..Maybe I'd feel differently if we lived in a different area, but we are in Northumberland and plan to stay.

Veralum, no wonder you are happy , Northumberland is the best kept secret in the Uk, and Alnwick the best place to live, according to to official tests.

I spent time there on the way to Scotland ........beautiful.

Bamburgh, Lindisfarne, Hadrians wall,and all that bloody space.

I saw less traffic there,than any place in England.........good luck to you. ps

Give your husband my best wishes

Best wishes to your husband , he will be most welcome . I like the aussie blokes, good lads most of them. I used to give them loads,all in good fun.

Your husband can put is feet up, hopefully with a modicum of sunshine ( weve had a great 2 weeks, now its pouring down,as in tropical,pouring down),as they flog the poms in the cricket........AGAIN!

Australia is the serious assault capital of the world, notching up 708 per 100,000 people in 1999. Even Rwanda, three years after it's genocide, managed only 114.

Please don't ask me my source.

Guest guest22466
30,000 people go missing in Australia every year 90% are found within a month dead or alive.

10% are never found.

Australia has a higher suicide rate than the UK. It would be interesting to know why??

Guest guest30038
Australia has a higher suicide rate than the UK. It would be interesting to know why??

I saw a piece of research a while ago (can't find it now or quote it) but the gist of it was that the higher incidence was likely due to PTSD and other mental health factors. This was based on listed suicides being high amongst 'misplaced' persons (my words) such as Bosnian/Serb/Croat, Lebanese, Tamils, Iraquis, and other nationalities, that had experienced trauma in their own countries.

kev

Guest guest22466
I saw a piece of research a while ago (can't find it now or quote it) but the gist of it was that the higher incidence was likely due to PTSD and other mental health factors. This was based on listed suicides being high amongst 'misplaced' persons (my words) such as Bosnian/Serb/Croat, Lebanese, Tamils, Iraquis, and other nationalities, that had experienced trauma in their own countries.

kev

Yes I can understand that would be the case and it is not a nice situation for these people at all ,seeing what they may have seen and been away from family and friends and not feeling settled in another country would only contibute to the situation of suicides within these communities. I do feel for these people and once again im sure you can only feel their situation if you have walked in their shoes.

Guest guest30038
Yes I can understand that would be the case and it is not a nice situation for these people at all ,seeing what they may have seen and been away from family and friends and not feeling settled in another country would only contibute to the situation of suicides within these communities. I do feel for these people and once again im sure you can only feel their situation if you have walked in their shoes.

Yep! Fully agree. Some of the attitudes towards these poor folk, that I have encountered on other forums, sometimes has me despairing of so-called civilised people, and what their children's attitudes will be like as they grow.

Whingeing Poms and "laid back" Aussies? We don't know half of what some other poor buggers have to experience to attempt merely to survive, let alone live...........and yet there are those who begrudge those less fortunate, coming/being here.

kev

Oooh I'm with you there! I'd much rather be travelling down the M6 {as long as the traffic is flowing!} for 4 hours than travelling out in the bush for the same amount of time.

I agree with so much of what everyone is saying on these posts!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kierodeniro
This is true - a great number of my university educated friends live in what some may term ''working class areas'' of the UK, and they all seem perfectly happy and never complain of having to avoid ''unsavoury elements''.

I'm so curious as to where and when in history this idea developed that thugs only operate in the UK. Seriously, where did this notion come from? As I've said before, I live in what is certainly NOT considered a bad area of Australia, in fact many consider it quite afluent, yet just over a year ago I looked out my window and saw police breaking up what looked to be quite an unpleasant fight. My brother-in-law was mugged at knife point barely twenty minutes from here.

This has become so distorted over the years; so many of us Brits are now totally convinced that the UK is vastly more dangerous than any other country in the world. Perhaps they should hear the late Bill Hicks routine where he amusingly compared UK crime to US crime.

I really do think many Brits are absolutely resolved to believe it's ''only in the UK''. Why?? Well, this way they get to believe that there is an escape from all the things in life they don't like - because these things are ''only in the UK''. If people start to bag Australia on websites like this, it threatens their ability to think that it is ''only in the UK''.

This is going to be controversial, but I'll say what I like; I think some people (not everyone by any means, but some) think that they have done something pretty damn clever in moving to Australia, and are quite pleased with themselves about the whole venture. These people are not going to be all that interested in hearing someone say ''well, I think Australia is a total pile of s***". In fact, more than likely, they are going to try to ensure that such people do not even get a platform on which to say it. I'm pretty sure that this does happen at times.

God, I agree with everything you just said! My girlfriend's Dad is a Brit living here in Oz and he goes on about how Australia is absolutley great and the UK is a hell hole. When you even attempt to praise the UK and constructiviely criticize Australia, he takes it as a prsonal insult.

I'm moving back to Britain because I had a much more interesting and varied life, I frankly prefer the UK. I got a rather arogant "why would you want to go back there" from my girlfriend's Dad when I announced my desire to leave. I replied with a little smirk on my face and said...Because it's a better place to live. I enjoyed the look on his face! :-)

Guest homeiswheretheheartis

I said to someone once (and got shot down in flames for it, unfairly) that I reckon you've got a greater chance of loving Australia if you come from one of the less likeable areas of the UK than if you come from a gorgeous place like York or a lovely little fishing village in Devon. I KNOW that is a generalisation but just for all those who like to attack people defending the UK, a generalisation isn't necessarily inaccurate.

I don't want to be shot down in flames and I certainly don't want to offend someone but I don't think it matters where you're from. It's all about 'home is where the heart is'... I was born on a housing estate sandwiched between two council estates in Gloucester. When we left to move to Cornwall, it broke my heart as the quiet park, shady tree, muddy puddles and hidden hiedaways explored with friends and family were what made home 'home'.

However, I do believe your geographic departure destination DOES have a difference on how the 'great' factors of this amazing country are viewed.

Having lived in Cornwall, I am used to wide open spaces, beautiful beaches, dramatic coastline and lush green countryside... soooo while yes, whilst I can appreciate the beauty of things here, I often think back to Cornwall.

Now, if you came from a heavily uranised area, with urban sprawl all around, walking on a beach with the sound of the sea and soft sand between your toes is bound to seem more 'special' than someone who has experienced it on a daily basis back 'home'.

Anyway... what matters is whoever you are, wherever you're from and no matter where you end up, strive to find a place to be happy. Wherever that may be. It's not about what's 'better' it's what's right for you.

Guest Nickynoonoo

Reading these posts has made me even more confused about whether to stay in the UK or move to Perth.................arrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

Nicky x

Reading these posts has made me even more confused about whether to stay in the UK or move to Perth.................arrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

Nicky x

If you have a nice life in UK with a nice house, kids in good schools and a job that seems to be weathering the recession then stay where you are. If you have a brilliant job opportunity, loads of family/friends living in Perth and a fair bit of money then come to Perth for the adventure. Australia = same sh*t, shinier shovel.

Aah Quoll, you have such a way with words. I do enjoy reading your posts!! I don't know if anyone watched Spooks on Monday night, but there were a couple of profound quotes in that episode, one of which I know relates to me; possibly others:

"Home isn't where you live; it's where people understand you".

Certainly I feel that my family and friends in the UK understand me better than here....

Archived