goodbye Australia

Guest nikkichap

Guest nikkichap

It's my final few days in Australia, I leave onThursday. It has been a rollercoaster few months. For most of my time in Australia I have been thinking about home and i couldn't get out of my head around all the things we had left behind and it made me realise we did have a great life before. It got quite depressing at times thinking about it and I did have some dark times. We had swaped a great life for a bland just getting throught the day life. The things we missed about home which may be stupid to some people we knew we would never be able to be replaced in OZ. Tried to make the most of it but we knew we were just going through the motions. I never felt settled here and it didn't even begin to feel like a place I could make our home. It took a lot of talking and weighing up to get to the point where a decsion was made about me retuning with my boys and my hubby joining us in a few months. It tore at my heart to agree as we came together and wanted to leave together.

Now it's only a few days till the off I have constant butterflies in my stomach. I am excited to go back but scared at the same time. I am trying not to think about the weeks maybe months apart from hubby as I know I will miss him but I also know how lonely he will be without us. He tells me not to worry but how can I not? I know we will stay in contact constantly but knowing that my life is getting back to normal and his is left in limbo is hard to think about.

It's not all been bad. We have been on some nice days out and have just spent 4 days touring the Whitsunday Islands and had a fab family time. But looking a head there is so much more to look forward to.

Just want to wish everyone luck on their journey's. I hope those that are wanting to go home, get to do so soon.

Nikki:smile:

Guest adey

good luck and we know exactly what you are going through. We have also made the decision to go back home and yep we are a bit scared as well, I know we know what its like in the UK but feels yet another big step. OH's work pushed us into making the decision as they are currently making redundancies so we sat down and had a good talk and actually found we were both quite bored living here, made some great friends and yes I know its beautiful and the weather is great but we've realised there's more to life than what we have here and we actually had a better lifestyle living back in the UK as we had lots of weekends away and holidays which we don't get now.

We miss being able to go away for weekends to different places within easy driving distances/flights, family, friends, and cheap holidays (can't believe how much it costs to get anywhere from here).

We've had a great time living here but like you its not for us but don't regret living here and have enjoyed our time here just need a bit more than Australia can offer us I'm afraid. Don't regret coming here for one minute and at least we gave it a try but the work is drying up so fate is making us move back to the UK and find ourselves a different adventure.

Got big plans ahead of us as thinking of taking time out and travelling around Europe and seeing places neither of us have seen before.

I'm sure time will fly once you get back to the UK and your hubby will soon be with you.

Sarah & Adey

The very best of luck with your return. This afternoon I am going to start painting the house ready to sell so that I too can return home. There seems so much to do, organising pets innoculations, quarantine, getting house ready to sell - but will be worth it - mum has bought a house for us to share in North Wales - can't wait...... hope to exchange contracts before end of June deadline for First Home Buyers Grant - otherwise house prices will probably drop in my area or worse still I will be unable to sell at all... wish I was going on Thursday.... I've been here 13 years - and I can honestly say that most of the time I have been wishing I was back in the UK - I definitely have not had a higher quality of life here - my own personal experience of course - but now I have the chance of happiness finally. No more 3 hour commutes to work on crowded hot stuffy and usually dirty trains - terrible television, and sorry to say, certainly my experience, Aussie humour, boring BBQ's where conversation is usually about sport, cars, 'sex', and anything lewd and 'low' ... I tried to fit in and sick of trying. I just want to be me... at least I won't have to hear the 'f' word every other word in a sentence when I get 'home'...

Guest nikkichap

At least you can enjoy some time out before you head back. Hubby's company has also been making redundacies and his work is drying up. He needs to pay back reloaction costs which is why he is staying on. If he gets made redundant he won't have to pay it back and he can come home quicker.

As I have two boys I had to consider their happiness aswell. They haven't done half as many activities as they did in the UK. I have found the clubs here not very professionally run and so they lost interest. They spend a lot of time doing nothing. They were so active in the UK.

Guest proud2beaussie

Good Luck Nikki,

I hope you have a safe journey home and I also hope you take with you some fond memories of Australia,all the best for your future.

Cheers

Guest snow white

fantastic post nikki hope you and your hubby are together soon in the uk and you can begin to live a life once more altogether wishing you all the very best for the future

lesley x

Guest LondonGal
It's my final few days in Australia, I leave onThursday. It has been a rollercoaster few months. For most of my time in Australia I have been thinking about home and i couldn't get out of my head around all the things we had left behind and it made me realise we did have a great life before. It got quite depressing at times thinking about it and I did have some dark times. We had swaped a great life for a bland just getting throught the day life. The things we missed about home which may be stupid to some people we knew we would never be able to be replaced in OZ. Tried to make the most of it but we knew we were just going through the motions. I never felt settled here and it didn't even begin to feel like a place I could make our home. It took a lot of talking and weighing up to get to the point where a decsion was made about me retuning with my boys and my hubby joining us in a few months. It tore at my heart to agree as we came together and wanted to leave together.

Now it's only a few days till the off I have constant butterflies in my stomach. I am excited to go back but scared at the same time. I am trying not to think about the weeks maybe months apart from hubby as I know I will miss him but I also know how lonely he will be without us. He tells me not to worry but how can I not? I know we will stay in contact constantly but knowing that my life is getting back to normal and his is left in limbo is hard to think about.

It's not all been bad. We have been on some nice days out and have just spent 4 days touring the Whitsunday Islands and had a fab family time. But looking a head there is so much more to look forward to.

Just want to wish everyone luck on their journey's. I hope those that are wanting to go home, get to do so soon.

Nikki:smile:

Hi Nikki,

Good Luck with the move. I have followed your posts and replied to you occasionally on another forum (PM if you want details) and I really think you are doing the right thing by going home. We often do not appreciate the life we have until it is gone, but if this is the one thing that emigrating teaches us then I suppose it is worth it.

Like you Australia will never be home for me. I also wish like you I had come to the conclusion a lot sooner and not wasted so much time here.

I hope you do not have to wait too long for hubby to join you. Keep us updated. :biggrin:

Hi

We returned to the UK nearly 3 years ago from Perth and there is a chance we may return one day to oz to live as we definitely have strong feelings for the country. But we have settled back here and my children are happy being near family again. They have great schools and despite our poor climate they play outside alot more than they did in Oz. I think there are pros and cons to living in both places and the Uk gets so much negative criticism.

We returned to Perth in April this year to validate visas to keep our options open and even though we had great holiday I felt that the sunshine was the one main advantage and didn't mind returning home at all. I have a different attitude to the UK now and have decided to make the most of what we do have, lovely countryside etc.

All the best and good luck

Arlene

Guest LondonGal
Hi

We returned to the UK nearly 3 years ago from Perth and there is a chance we may return one day to oz to live as we definitely have strong feelings for the country. But we have settled back here and my children are happy being near family again. They have great schools and despite our poor climate they play outside alot more than they did in Oz. I think there are pros and cons to living in both places and the Uk gets so much negative criticism.

We returned to Perth in April this year to validate visas to keep our options open and even though we had great holiday I felt that the sunshine was the one main advantage and didn't mind returning home at all. I have a different attitude to the UK now and have decided to make the most of what we do have, lovely countryside etc.

All the best and good luck

Arlene

Hi Arlene,

It's reasuring to here that there are returnees who are settled and happy. Where did you return to if you don't mind me asking.

LG.

Hi Arlene,

It's reasuring to here that there are returnees who are settled and happy. Where did you return to if you don't mind me asking.

LG.

Hi

The main reason we returned was family. During our time in Perth my mother in law died, my dad became very ill and sister was diagnosed with renal failure! We really loved life in Oz but your priorities change abit when these things happen. Since we returned my dad died but so far my sister is doing ok. So we have settled back into the UK but I feel I will always be slightly split in two about both places. But I do feel that people are more important than places and do enjoy being home near family and friends.

All the best

Arlene:smile:

Guest LondonGal
Hi

The main reason we returned was family. During our time in Perth my mother in law died, my dad became very ill and sister was diagnosed with renal failure! We really loved life in Oz but your priorities change abit when these things happen. Since we returned my dad died but so far my sister is doing ok. So we have settled back into the UK but I feel I will always be slightly split in two about both places. But I do feel that people are more important than places and do enjoy being home near family and friends.

All the best

Arlene:smile:

Hi Arlene,

Thanks for that. I have also had loved ones die while I have been away and it is very hard to deal with.

Although it is not the main reason, family is one of the reasons we want to return. I would like my children to be closer to our extended families and to hopefully get the chance to develop relationships with them. Time will tell if they actually do as I know from some peoples experiances on here it is not all rosy when they return.

All the best, LG. :biggrin:

Hi Arlene,

Thanks for that. I have also had loved ones die while I have been away and it is very hard to deal with.

Although it is not the main reason, family is one of the reasons we want to return. I would like my children to be closer to our extended families and to hopefully get the chance to develop relationships with them. Time will tell if they actually do as I know from some peoples experiances on here it is not all rosy when they return.

It's good when first home, but I never wanted a fuss. I just wanted to get back to normal quick.

I enjoy life hear I'm generally a happy person, I certanly was not a happy bunny in Aus.

What you have to realise is nothing has really changed, you might get a bit of fuss first of all but then it's normal opening hours.

One thing this experiance has done for me is give me much more of a ballanced veiw.

I don't moan about things as much and put people right when they moan about the country. I've been about a bit and other countrys have sh!t too but shinier shovels.

Good luck to you all coming home life is what you make it.

Guest nikkichap

I've not been happy in OZ. I thought I came with a realistic view that it will all take time to settle. I thought we would live happily ever after. I thought that if it didn't work out we would come back, simple as! How wrong we were, easier said then done. We are having to split our family unit up so that we can be a happy family again in the future when we are all back together. I don't want a fuss when I get back, I know being away for only 8 months life wouldn't have moved on that much so I am hoping to fit right back in. Get the boys back with their friends at school, get them back into their interests and just start to enjoy daily living again. I haven't really been living these past months just blandly getting by. UK here I come!

Hi Arlene,

Hi LG

From a family point of view we have had a great experience coming back, my children have a great relationship with their grandparent and cousins. They have settled really well back into their school, they like being back with their friends. All of my children feel 50/50 about living here or oz, they are happy to stay here but if we decide to go back they are happy about that too. All in all there are positives to living here or oz and I think you can have a good life in both places.

Hi LG

From a family point of view we have had a great experience coming back, my children have a great relationship with their grandparent and cousins. They have settled really well back into their school, they like being back with their friends. All of my children feel 50/50 about living here or oz, they are happy to stay here but if we decide to go back they are happy about that too. All in all there are positives to living here or oz and I think you can have a good life in both places.

all the best

Arlene

sometimes a shock to the system is what it takes to realise what you have right there in front of you. Moving to the other side of the world is certainly shocking. Hope it all goes well for those returning home. Feel for you being split up as a family, but think how good it will be when reunited. It will more than likely make you stronger in the long run.

Guest nikkichap

Yes I agree. Returning without hubby will make us stronger. We will appreciate talking to each other, long distance relationship's can be good in the short term. It will be exciting waiting for the calls and finding out how each other are doing and talking through the news in each others lifes. It's a new experience to our life and we have to make sure the distance will bring us closer together when we finally all reunite.

We will have so much to say to each other it is only going to work because we have a strong relationship and we know it's not the end of the world being apart for a few months.

Guest Count Zero
Yes I agree. Returning without hubby will make us stronger. We will appreciate talking to each other, long distance relationship's can be good in the short term. It will be exciting waiting for the calls and finding out how each other are doing and talking through the news in each others lifes. It's a new experience to our life and we have to make sure the distance will bring us closer together when we finally all reunite.

We will have so much to say to each other it is only going to work because we have a strong relationship and we know it's not the end of the world being apart for a few months.

Good luck,

I know how it feels, this is our third time in Australia and we still get bouts of severe homesickness. Are you returning to the same town you left before you came to Australia?

Guest rosiejulia

So know exactly where your coming from....as soon as we drove out of Sydney airport 13mths ago I instinctively knew.....oz not for me! It was a bit like a blind date for me where you know in those 1st few mins whether or not you have met the love of your life!!! Lord only knows how/why I am still here after 13mths!!! It has at times been exruciatingly painfull ....and expensive!!!! I am no saint but what got me through was that we had made a commitment with our kids that we would come for 22mths (length of OH`s wk ass.) and then make a choice as a family. My kids are 14,12 and 9 so we felt we owed the older 2 that at least. Thank heavens as it goes my kids much prefer the life they had in uk and are only too willing to return...which we are doing Aug in time for new school year and OH will follow Dec! Good luck with your return...I hope you will post how it feels. It`s all for a reason hey!...but I do think we should listen to our instinct more....what says you?

Guest Susie

Good luck to you, Nikki and hope it works out for you back home. The time will fly and before you know it your OH will be back too. I am jealous as I'd like to be in your position. You will have some wonderful memories of here, if nothing else.

I feel just like you - we've been here 8.5 months. I also feel that if we went back now, we could slip back into our old lives quite easily. Only problem is we've rushed into buying a house which I now regret as I feel too tied now. We've had a few estate agents round but we've not got back to any of them as we're going to think about it for a couple of weeks, then decide. Limboland at moment!!!

Also, good luck to fantasia. 13 years is a long time. Good luck with house sale.

Susie x

Guest Marje
The very best of luck with your return. This afternoon I am going to start painting the house ready to sell so that I too can return home. There seems so much to do, organising pets innoculations, quarantine, getting house ready to sell - but will be worth it - mum has bought a house for us to share in North Wales - can't wait...... hope to exchange contracts before end of June deadline for First Home Buyers Grant - otherwise house prices will probably drop in my area or worse still I will be unable to sell at all... wish I was going on Thursday.... I've been here 13 years - and I can honestly say that most of the time I have been wishing I was back in the UK - I definitely have not had a higher quality of life here - my own personal experience of course - but now I have the chance of happiness finally. No more 3 hour commutes to work on crowded hot stuffy and usually dirty trains - terrible television, and sorry to say, certainly my experience, Aussie humour, boring BBQ's where conversation is usually about sport, cars, 'sex', and anything lewd and 'low' ... I tried to fit in and sick of trying. I just want to be me... at least I won't have to hear the 'f' word every other word in a sentence when I get 'home'...

just make sure you don't watch anything with Gordon Ramsey in it then :laugh:

agree for the most part but what suprises me is the talk about sex and swearing

i heard far more of that in kent than i ever do here (yes even blackown)!

i bet it was mainly the men?

i actually feel as though i have watch my tongue a lot more here (when women are present)

Guest nikkichap
Good luck,

I know how it feels, this is our third time in Australia and we still get bouts of severe homesickness. Are you returning to the same town you left before you came to Australia?

Yes returning to the same town. Boys going back to the same school, same class's. I am not going back to my house just yet as I have tenants there. I'm going to live with MIL:skeptical:until hubby returns.

Guest nikkichap

13 years is a long time! I don't know how you have done it. But I suppose buying a house is a big part of staying. Having your own home can make you feel more settled. I also think you try harder to make a new life as you have a commitment . Living in a rental means that we could never call it home. We were going to wait 2 years, sell our house in the UK and put the money towards our new house in OZ. I am so happy that we didn't sell before we came. Hubby wanted to but I put my foot down and refused. Maybe I knew deep down that we would return! If we had sold then I am sure that we wouldn't be jumping ship as quick. Maybe we would have stayed for longer but I know we would have all been unhappy. Someone told me once that if you sell up and go you are more likely to settle. If you don't you are more liekly to return. In my case this has proved to be true.

Hope you sell your house quickly and you are able to return home, back to the land of the living. Good luck.

Archived