can I keep my email address?

neilo

That depends on what you're using for email.

If it's a web-based email address (like Hotmail, GMail, Yahoo Mail, etc.) then you'll be fine and be able to keep using it. However, if you're logging into a POP3 mail server, this is more of a problem. Some of these allow web access as well that would let you keep checking it (so long as your account there is valid!) but you'll likely want to change to an Australian address.

FYI, I have a Hotmail address that I use for "access from anywhere" plus a more personal mailbox on an Aussie server. I cancelled my old BT Internet account when I moved but the email address has stayed valid and I can still log in via the web and check for posts (though nowadays I rarely do this as it's all just spam).

Bob

Guest yankee

You can even keep a POP 3, if your Incoming Mail server and outgoing are the same. If not check your ISP in OZ to see if you can use their outgoing by having your account validated before send and receive is active in order to prevent spam control.

I kept my AOL account open and I am still able to send & receive emails

From my laptop at any broadband connection , wireless connection.

AOL also has web based access to email.

It is possible to configure an additional account on Microsoft Outlook Express or indeed most mail programmes.

To send & receive email from any PC.

You have to dial in using the owners account to establish the connection.

It worked with my AOL account on bigpond.

Guest guest17301

I cancelled my bt broadband yahoo account but am still able to access my email account and still use it. They did tell me that to keep it open we needed to pay something like £2 a month, we never paid yet the accounts are still valid.

Guest iselinger

Your email address is becoming so important you should consider buying a domain name then you can guarantee that you will never have to change your email address ever again. Domain names are readily available and you should be able to create something relevant to you so that it is memorable.

For example http://www.fiona1975.com or .net or is currently available. so your email would be fiona@fiona1975.com or what ever you wanted before the @ sign. OK it costs a few dollars but it is yours forevermore regardless of what Hotmail, AOL or whoever decide to do in the future.

Web Hosting, Domain Names and Dedicated Servers | UK2 Web Hosting or Award winning web hosting UK - SupaNames. Linux hosting, Windows hosting. are just two examples of UK companies I have used for domain registration but there are many more. If you want a .com.au domain try one of the Ozzy companies. Australia Domain Name Registration Services | .com.au Domains is one but I cant vouch for them I just googled 'domain australia'

A webmail account (yahoo, hotmail) will work from anywhere, that's the point of them.

I had a yahoo.co.uk one though, which I don't think looks great applying for a job over here. So, I created a yahoo.com.au and put a forward on the .co.uk one to the new Aussie one. Its quite simple.

As others have said, best to get a Gmail or Yahoo acount, then can be used from anywhere. I use my email account from a UK ISP, which was from the days of dial up accounts. I currently get my broadband from a completely different ISP, but have set up the email to send and recieve with the old email address. I have also set up a Gmail account to retrieve and send with the same email address for use while away from home. One thing to be aware of is that the old dial up account, although still active, I never actually dial into it so the ISP is not getting anyincome from me. Every 6 months or so I get an email from them threatening to stop access to it, so I connect up the dial up modem and log in for a minute and then thats it for another 6 months or so...however this will not be possible from Auss !!

Archived