Parking Ticket

gpo1971

Got a parking ticket today outside my own house. In my own parking bay.

Apparently, I was facing the wrong way. In other words I approached the bay from the other direction (its not a one-way street) and parked against the traffic (but, like I said, in the bay).

Is parking 'facing the wrong way' a fineable offence in the UK? $50 here.

This is my 3rd one in 4 months. The first couple I didn't understand the signs where I parked but I didn't expect one outside my own house. They are mustard over here.

hi yep been caught out myself at school, didnt realise we had done anthing wrong till the ine came though the door.YOU MUST PARK THE CAR THE CORRECT WAY ROUND IE THE DIRECTION OF THE TRAFFIC.We even wrote letter to council explaining how we do things in uk and didnt realise we had committed an offence, first fine in 25 yrs couldnt believe it , we make sure we park the right way round now

Apparently, I was facing the wrong way. In other words I approached the bay from the other direction (its not a one-way street) and parked against the traffic (but, like I said, in the bay).

This is my 3rd one in 4 months. The first couple I didn't understand the signs where I parked but I didn't expect one outside my own house. They are mustard over here.

You can do owt you like behind your letter box , but in front theyll have you gonna have mine put on kerb

Guest proud2beaussie

The number of people who have been on PIO complaining about this just reinforces my view that all new drivers should be given a copy of the relevant road safety handbook for the state they are living in.

At least then they would have no excuse for not knowing the law.

Oh dear, I do sympathise. My hubby got one for parking too close to another car. Worst bit was, the other driver said it would be fine as they would be leaving work at the same time so he wouldn't be blocked in. You have to leave a metre gap if parked along a road!

The number of people who have been on PIO complaining about this just reinforces my view that all new drivers should be given a copy of the relevant road safety handbook for the state they are living in.

At least then they would have no excuse for not knowing the law.

I agree.

However, even though it may be lawful in the UK I feel it shouldn't be. If you are trying to pull out on leaving the parking space and have cars in front and behind you can't tell me that you have full vision of both lanes of traffic. Parking in this way is unsafe and is illegal here for a reason.

I think Australia has some great laws. Very nanny State ish but good laws.

Can you imagine the whinging if we had these sort of laws in the UK

"Aw this country is sh!t"

"Can't do nothing I had enough"

"I'm moving To Australia"

The sooner we adopt some Aussie laws the better.

John

Guest tony and sheena

Us too, a couple of months ago we got a $70 fine for parking the wrong way. We had to take the ticket into the police station, which we were outside, to ask if they'd any idea what it was for because we couldn't see any signs or lines. Definitely news to us too.

Sheena

I agree.

However, even though it may be lawful in the UK I feel it shouldn't be. If you are trying to pull out on leaving the parking space and have cars in front and behind you can't tell me that you have full vision of both lanes of traffic. Parking in this way is unsafe and is illegal here for a reason.

You`d still have cars behind you and in front of you ,just facing the same direction

I think you should be given this sort info when you are granted your visa along with other stuff such as how to contact emergency services - 000 or the poisons helpline - 131126 etc

I found this on the DIAC website

Migrant Settlement Information Kits - English

helpful if you are on your way or already here.

Karen

PS

I bet someone is going to tell me they give a link to this in your visa confirmation letter LOL I can't find mine to check

Guest slipshot
I agree.

I agree in that it should be made obvious to everyone. Forget those people who move here as we all learn soon enough but think of the thousands of hire cars who have to go through this.

As for it being a fair law - nonsense. I think it's rather sad that you cannot park on the other side but I can understand why the law was introduced, although it does again 'dumb' down drivers and their ability. To say it should be introduced in other countries - why? Are you unable to look both ways when pulling into traffic? If it is a busy road you are parking on, there is nothing to stop you changing direction and parking the right way. Most other countries allow it and it makes little difference at all.

There are hundreds of other far greater challenges on the roads, which you have to do daily, yet this is a bloody easy one...

All about priorities and this is not one of them.

I agree in that it should be made obvious to everyone. Forget those people who move here as we all learn soon enough but think of the thousands of hire cars who have to go through this.

As for it being a fair law - nonsense. I think it's rather sad that you cannot park on the other side but I can understand why the law was introduced, although it does again 'dumb' down drivers and their ability. To say it should be introduced in other countries - why? Are you unable to look both ways when pulling into traffic? If it is a busy road you are parking on, there is nothing to stop you changing direction and parking the right way. Most other countries allow it and it makes little difference at all.

There are hundreds of other far greater challenges on the roads, which you have to do daily, yet this is a bloody easy one...

All about priorities and this is not one of them.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one. I still feel if you are parked opposite to everyone else at the side of the road then as the driver you would be positioned near the kerb, you can't possibly see clearly to pull out across oncoming traffic to the correct side of the road, particularly if you have larger vehicles in front and behind. I agree there are many challenges on the road and that laws should be made clearer.

I think its penny pinching like speed cameras are in the UK.

When you think of what the hoons and drink drivers do over here, me parking the wrong way outside my house (in a cul-de-sac) shouldn't really be a matter for concern. It's just a banker $50 for the shire.

Guest gary12

been there got the t shirt, 4 points and almost $500 in fines. I have been told that if the passenger door is more than a foot away from the kerb they will have you, therefore if you park the wrong way it is more than a foot. Crafty speed cameras are another one to look out for, yes I know to slow down but speed limits here are so erratic you never know what you should be doing.

Archived