Removal Companys - original boxes needed or not?!

Taz2008

Ok, this is for you lot who are already on the other side of the world and transported your household goods over with you.

The main reason we are not going to just sell every thing and buy new when we get there, apart from the cost, is that we feel it would be really hard for our girls (4 & 6) to give up all their toys. It’s bad enough them having to leave their friends and family and our two cats. So to make life easier for them we decided that we would take these along with our own stuff; electrical goods, photos and things.

My main question is;

When the people come and pack your goods up do we need to supply the boxes that everything went into when purchased, or do packers prefer to just put everything into their own boxes. For example I keep just about everything and have most of the original boxes for our electrical items. However, the boxes are dirty now (been kept in the barn), and wondered if it would be better to just get rid of all the boxes and let the packers pack everything in new boxes?

Can anyone tell what the process is?

Also, for anyone who may have moved over from France, can you recommend a company to us?

Thanks for your help. :wubclub:

Tasha x

Hi Taz,

We moved from the UK to Melbourne in Feb, and our furniture and other worldly possessions arrived a few weeks ago. We did not need boxes for any of our stuff - the packing company boxed everything up for us. I did have boxes for some kitchen gadgets, but there were more gadgets than boxes. And we did have one box which was old and dusty, but it is now here and made it through without a problem.

The packers seem to prefer to use their own boxes and packing - think it is to do with the insurance.

In fact, anything I had a box for went into a bigger box supplied by the shipping company.

One tip we were given before we left, was to make sure that all shoes and garden stuff was thoroughly cleaned with a strong outdoor bleach (we used Jeyes Fluid in the UK) Also, things like bicycle tyres and golf clubs are apparently inspected quite closely, so make sure they are super clean.

Also, I know we moved from England, but we used Crown Relocations which I believe are also in France. They were not the cheapest option, but our reason for going with them was that you deal with Crown, and only Crown, throughout the whole process. Some relocation companies pack you up, and then use another company to unpack at your destination. We had heard stories about that being a problem as if there was a delay, no company would take responsibility. Also, Crown have their own warehouses, and the customs people come there to inspect the containers.

Overall their service was great, and all our stuff is here - which is the main thing!!

Hope this helps - Good luck with your relocation!!

Smirfyduo :o)

If you have boxes for anything like TVs and videos I would use them if you can as you will have the styrafoam packaging as well which will keep your items safe. If not don't worry, they use HEAPS of paper etc to pack your things safely.

Rudi

I (sadly) keep original boxes. Packed electrical goods in them (eg dvd recorder), as they have the protective polysterene which is better than bubble wrap or whatever. However, packing people will wrap it up well anyhow. I just think original box is better when selling on

Archived