Flight with kids to Australia

Guest SamSam

Guest SamSam

Hi Guys,

I know i am being a bit premature as we are still awaiting for our State Sponsorship for Adelaide. Could anyone advise me whether it would be sensible to do the flight to Australia with a 13 and a 10 year old in one go or break the trip up?

I look forward to any advice you have and thank you for your time.

Guest Squem

Hi Sam,

My personal opinion would break up the flight so get a connecting flight in HK or Singapore!

I would even say this if it was just you adults going!

When I flew to Aus I did a 2 hour stop over in HK and they had the most amazing showers available. I paid £3 and spent my 2 hours in there... had a shower and felt soooo refreshed and ready for the next flight!

Plus its nice to walk around in a bigger empty space then what is available on a plane!

Some people may suggest different but i would definately reccomend a connecting flight and not a direct one!

Emma

Guest SamSam
Hi Sam,

My personal opinion would break up the flight so get a connecting flight in HK or Singapore!

I would even say this if it was just you adults going!

When I flew to Aus I did a 2 hour stop over in HK and they had the most amazing showers available. I paid £3 and spent my 2 hours in there... had a shower and felt soooo refreshed and ready for the next flight!

Plus its nice to walk around in a bigger empty space then what is available on a plane!

Some people may suggest different but i would definately reccomend a connecting flight and not a direct one!

Emma

Hi Emma,

Thanks for that.

To be honest i was contemplaing stopping off in Hong Kong for a few days and do a bit of shopping and sight seeing whilst we were there but my hubby said it might be better to do the trip in one go and get it over and done with.

Anyway i've made my mind up Hong Kong shopping here we come:twitcy:

Thanks Again

SamSam

Guest burnsb

When we went to Oz the last couple of times we had stopovers with the kids it was a nightmare because of the time changes. This time I've just booked direct fights to sydney and then only have to change for a short flight to Brisbane. Good luck

Guest donovan

Hiya we have done it both ways, straight through with stop downs and when we moved here, we stayed 2 nights in Singapore, plenty to do for the kids on the plane, but also nice to stop in Singapore for a couple of nights.

Good luck

Sarah x

Guest snow white

hi sam,

we did straight through with 6 kids now i cant say it was all fun but it was easier to get it all over with,

best of luck with whatever you decide and also good luck with the state sponsorship grant

lesley x

Guest evertheoptimist

Hi

My aunt and uncle went to Adelaide a few years ago with 3 very boisterous young boys and only had a short stop on way. We personally will try and do as much as possible in one go with ours as our youngest is only 6 and is petrified of flying after a very scarey flight to Marbella a couple of years ago. I can't stand the thought of her having to go through the upset over and over and over as i don't want her thinking this is the start to her new life. Fortunately she forces herself to sleep on planes so hopefully it wont be as bad for her this time.

Guest SamSam
Hi

My aunt and uncle went to Adelaide a few years ago with 3 very boisterous young boys and only had a short stop on way. We personally will try and do as much as possible in one go with ours as our youngest is only 6 and is petrified of flying after a very scarey flight to Marbella a couple of years ago. I can't stand the thought of her having to go through the upset over and over and over as i don't want her thinking this is the start to her new life. Fortunately she forces herself to sleep on planes so hopefully it wont be as bad for her this time.

Hi,

I know how your daughter feels, i am too petrified of flying and funnily enough i had a bad flight once flying to Malaga and since then i have been a nervous reck.

I was hoping to ask my doctor for a sleeping pill that lasts 24 hours if we decide to do it in one go.

Good luck with your daughter.

Guest JoanneHattersley

I unfortunately dont have kids but if I did I would go straight through. Get it over with. I find when you stop over for a night or 2 you spend that first day jetlagged anyway! I`d rather keep on going!

I'd go with the flow and just go with the best price! When we first came across the kids just wanted to get here, even thought we considered coming via America!

If you fly with the ever-popular Singapore Air and end up with a few hours between flights, then it's pretty exciting to go for a swim in the roof-top pool in the airport. You just need to keep your bathers with you, towels and toiletries are provided and it's so refreshing and bizarre it could become a memory in itself! The flights IMHO can be fair gruelling but at least the kids have all sorts of entertainment on board with the movies and games - plus a seemingly never-ending supply of chocolate bars and chips should you want them...:wub:

As for the jet-lag, we try to prepare for the time zone we will be landing in, so if, for example,we arrive in Adelaide near bed time, then we keep ourselves awake so we can go straight to bed. If that makes sense. And if it's humanely possible and you are not at the point where you are desperate for the kids to sleep just for some peace and quiet!

Mind you it sounds like your mind has already been made up, so good luck with the flight and have a safe journey....with heaps of successful shopping!

:wubclub:LC

Hi Emma,

Thanks for that.

To be honest i was contemplaing stopping off in Hong Kong for a few days and do a bit of shopping and sight seeing whilst we were there but my hubby said it might be better to do the trip in one go and get it over and done with.

Anyway i've made my mind up Hong Kong shopping here we come:twitcy:

Thanks Again

SamSam

Hi SamSam

I've been to Oz 3 times, twice since having my boys and I would highly recommend stopping off in Hong Kong for a few nights. Its such a great place to see, plenty to do and although I see the advantages of not stopping off, I prefer to see different countries whenever the opportunity is there. Last time we went (Dec 06) we stopped off at HK on the way out but stopped at Singapore for a few hours to refuel on the way back. I agree that the rooftop swimming pool there was a welcome break for us, although it was too cold for me to go in (it was late at night).

There was another post a while back about stopping off at Hong Kong. Here's the link

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/chewing-fat/56657-thinking-flying-via-hong-kong.html

I posted my recommendations for where to stay and things to do on that, so hope it may help in the future.

Mandy

Guest Squem

Thanks LC

You have now made my decision with who to fly with very easy!!

SWIMMING POOL AT THE AIRPORT!!!!! OOOOOOOOOOOOO yeah haha! x

Guest SamSam
I'd go with the flow and just go with the best price! When we first came across the kids just wanted to get here, even thought we considered coming via America!

If you fly with the ever-popular Singapore Air and end up with a few hours between flights, then it's pretty exciting to go for a swim in the roof-top pool in the airport. You just need to keep your bathers with you, towels and toiletries are provided and it's so refreshing and bizarre it could become a memory in itself! The flights IMHO can be fair gruelling but at least the kids have all sorts of entertainment on board with the movies and games - plus a seemingly never-ending supply of chocolate bars and chips should you want them...:wub:

As for the jet-lag, we try to prepare for the time zone we will be landing in, so if, for example,we arrive in Adelaide near bed time, then we keep ourselves awake so we can go straight to bed. If that makes sense. And if it's humanely possible and you are not at the point where you are desperate for the kids to sleep just for some peace and quiet!

Mind you it sounds like your mind has already been made up, so good luck with the flight and have a safe journey....with heaps of successful shopping!

:wubclub:LC

Hi Lazy Cow,

Thank You for your advice.

To be honest we keep changing our minds so i'm still uncertain which route we are going to take.

Hope you don't mind me asking but what does IMHO stand for?

If we were to take a direct flight would the plane do a stop off for re-fueling?

Another question......sorry but is there direct flights to Adelaide or would we have to go via Perth or Sydney?

Thanks Again

Nah get it all over and done with in one hit unless you have a burning desire to see Singapore or Hong Kong (avoid Bangkok at the moment, they do seem to be having a bit of a coup type thing going on).

I reckong it is just 24 hours of your life and you can cope with anything for that length of time - the prices are usually cheaper too and if you get out and stretch your legs walking around the terminal while they refuel then you are ready to sleep on the next leg anyway. My preferred option is a late night departure from whichever end, that way I land first thing in the morning and keep on going until at least 7pm and wake up on time the next morning.

I wouldnt worry about the kids, they tend to cope better than the adults. Only thing is if they are likely to get motion sickness then be sure to give them dramamine or similar and have some on standby just in case.

Hiya, we just flew straight thru at christmas with three kids ( aged 4, 10 & 14), really not a problem. We had a two hour stop off at Singapore, but wouldnt have changed it. Ironically it was the 14 year old who filled th sick bag a few times, but everyone did well on the flight.

Catherine

Archived