175! Why are people bothering ?

jackal

Guest Charbel Nehme

Hi all,

Seeing as how the reserve bank of Australia recently advised that the Australian economy has officially slipped recession, (an announcement that was made after the introduction of the 2nd CSL), I can't see a non CSL/State sponsorship based application being looked at by the department any time soon.

That is my personal opinion, and only hope that I'm proven wrong!

My advise to those who are applying for 175's, do not submit your application with your completed medicals and police clearances - They are only valid for 12 months and chances are by the time a decision is ready to be made on your 175 these will have expired - and you will need to do them again - at your own expense!

Guest TheHollies

Have noticed on the timeline monitor sticky thread that theres a couple of people who applied on a 175 MODL visa in Feb and May last year have just been granted their case officer/visa, thats taken 11/12 months to be processed, surely thats a good sign that some are still going through?

Guest proud2beaussie

To be frank,(And not meaning to be unkind to anyone's opinions) it really makes no difference what peoples opinions are because the processing priority is all down to the Minister for Immigration and his department heads,it is fine to speculate but there really is only a few people who know the true answer-the Minister and his H.O.D.

Guest saffal

Hi there,

I agree with Jackal, the system they have in place is absolutely ridiculous, they should not even have the application form for this visa on the immi.gov.au website if they've said they're not even processing them for the forseeable. It's false advertising and appears to be becoming a money-making racket for them if you can go online and pay for a visa that they no longer process - who the hell would apply now?

I s'pose if you are not that bothered about how long it will take you to get there (bearing in mind how many rules they could change during that time you're waiting), or if you have no other options, then maybe you would still apply now.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi saffal

I hear you, for sure. However my feeling is that the Aussie Government is like all the others - hasn't a clue how to pull its own economy or anyone else's out of the global recession.

The Minister for Immi's tail is being wagged by the Trades Unions. He seems to need their vote for the next election. The State Governments are not concerned about whether Senator Evans is re-elected or not. They have all considered the new CSL, new exhortations etc and SA seem to have agreed to do without Hairdressers in order to shut the Minister up. I don't think the miltant construction trade union looks after Hairdressers as well, does it? I suspect that SA are chortling.

The Northern Territory have waited nearly a year for their website guys to publish their new Occupations Shortage List. (Skilled Regional Sponsored 475 visas.) A lady in the NT Migration authority told me about their new List last November. She said it was longer than the existing one but the job was in a queue waiting for the NT Govt website guys to publish the new List, which eventually appeared on their website about 3 days ago.

I rang the NT again about a fortnight ago to ask what is happening there? I was told that their skills shortages are as acute as ever. Apparently loads of people went to the NT from other parts of Oz when there were rich pickings in the mines in the NT and they brought loads of skills with them. Underground mines need lights, lined walls, water pump-out arrangements etc. The open cast ones must need some of the same. However the influx only went to the mines and it was not meant to be any sort of permanent move to the NT by the people concerned. The NT Govt would have liked them to move to the NT permanently but according to Richard (see below) everyone knew that these people had no intention of settling in the NT for the long term.

I was told that when the mines laid these guys off they opted not to stay in the NT to help with the rest of the NT's needs. Richard in the NT's DBERD office says that all the ex-miners have gone home to their own native parts of Oz so the NT is still after skilled tradies.

I completely agree with the Legdes. Why aren't Canberra asking the States what is needed instead of taking orders from a trade union about what to put in the CSL?

Cheers

Gill

Hi guys

I just have to say, hang on in there! You never know when it's going to happen and then all at once!My 175 grant was this week!

I got my skills assessment: October 31st 2008

Application lodged December 18th 2008

Meds & character: End Jan/beginning Feb 2009

IELTS : February 2009

Case officer assigned: March 30th, 2009

Visa granted: 8th April, 2009!

Sweet as a nut, couldn't believe it!

Trouble is now though, want to make the move, but there are so many worrying things on these websites about the jobmarket over there, I am a bit hesitant to jump.

When do you say when?

You are lucky, our 175 was submitted in September 2008 on the MODL LIst. January 2009 was on the Critical List. Mid March was looking forward to getting a case officer by May 2009... 2 weeks ater due to recession trade tken off Citical list so put back down the ladder...still on MODL list which is nt currently being looked at........still waiting!!!

Guest Ruthie

I'm probably still going to go ahead and apply for the 175 this month as I just don't really have a choice. Not on CSL or MODL, not on any state lists and not even sure I want to teach when I get to oz so no point trying to find a teaching job & get sponsored.

I've basically endured 3 years of teaching (which I've not really enjoyed ) and kept going simply to apply to oz! I finish my current job in July and am probably not even planning to get another teaching job, so I really need to apply now so as to get the '3 out of the past 4 years' work experience required!

So just wondered, who else has or is going to apply for the 175 since January 2009? Hope I'm not the only one!

Ruthie x

• 4 weeks later...

Hi , i asked my agent when he thought the 175 non csl would start to be proccessed and he dosent think it will be anytime in the next 12 months (I must stress this is only his opinion )

he said although they are legally bound to process all of them , there is no time limit , so they could sit there for however long the powers that be decide,

Guest proud2beaussie

I think the only person with any idea about non CSL 175 processing would be the minister or his permanent department head,and today comes news of speculation about further migration program cuts in the budget which will be delivered on Tuesday night,so it could be a long time,how long is a piece of string?

You are lucky, our 175 was submitted in September 2008 on the MODL LIst. January 2009 was on the Critical List. Mid March was looking forward to getting a case officer by May 2009... 2 weeks ater due to recession trade tken off Citical list so put back down the ladder...still on MODL list which is nt currently being looked at........still waiting!!!

Yours is the same timescale as ours, we had got our case officer on the 4 March !

Guest jim & nik

Hi

I'm still going for a 175 visa,

which i applied for this week after finding out that i passed my skills assesment and was sent my skills certs. So the ball is back in motion for us again. The reason i'm not looking to change to a 176 or other is that i'm (we) are not ready to go yet. We have still to sell our house (so want the market to start to rise again) And i still have a good job and as it is all over the world at the moment jobs are few and far between.

So i'm going to sit back and wait for my meds & checks to come through.

As i see it we are all looking to go to OZ for a better way of life and a layed back life style. I just feel a bit more layed back doing it this way. Going to be able to go where i want and do what i want.

JIM:jimlad:

Guest Denver

Hi, everyone, new to this,

After reading some of your comments this morning we are more than a little concerned about our application for a 175 visa. If there is a problem why hasn't our migration officer informed us, all he has said is that it is taking a little longer to process because of the current economic climate. We are short on time as Paul is 45 at the end of June, he passed his AQF111 but just failed his IELTS which he is now having to re-sit, before we do this , and spend more money, can anyone advise us of any questions we should be asking?

Thanks Paul and Tina

HI all

What If....... What If........ What If..........

You know, I HATE the What Ifs!! And I have had them a plenty during this Visa Process! But the fact of the matter is that the What Ifs, are mainly imagination. Imagination causes so much worry and stress, I wish I knew how to turn off the What Ifs and give myself a break!!

But during this process, we must remember to try not to think on the what ifs, the what might happens and the what maybe's and concentrate on the facts.

And the facts are... The government will never stop allowing Migrants into the Country, for it IS a real way for them to bring money to the economy and in turn to them. You imagine how much money and Tax just one Migratory Family bring in, for a start there is the cost of the Visa, then there is tax on the shipping of items bought out. Once they arrive, there is then the initial outlay of buying a house, whether with mortgage or not there is tax to be paid. Or rental, money paid to landlord, government takes its cut at the end of tax year. Buying of cars, tax. They need to eat, buy clothes, food, school uniforms and everything else families living a life need to buy, all this money goes into the economy producing revenue to the Government. Any Government in any country works this way, and particularly in a recession when people living in their own country have curbed their spending, Migrants have no choice about spending, they have to have a home to live in and get themselves a car to drive around in and shell out all these set up costs. So the facts are that providing you're not going to start costing them money, they are more than happy to have you paying taxes to them rather than to any other Government!!

So lets try and keep our peckers up!! All the Visas will eventally get seen to, as the Government will see to it that the monies will keep rolling in.

But like many others on here, sooner rather than later would be nice!!!

Hope is a wonderful word, keep it in your hearts and your minds and it will begin to dispell the what ifs!!

Lisa

X

Guest Jasi

I don't think you will get your money back but I may be wrong. I know someone who had applied for an Aus student visa but then changed their mind so had to withdraw their application but they were told that applcation fees were non refundable.

Guest Shreen

I spoke to my best friend this morning, who lives in Sydney. She said things are so bad at the moment, neither her or her boyfriend have jobs and they said it would be a mistake to move out at the moment. This is just one situation, but its certainly worth noting. I was upset about the 175 taking ages but now I would rather wait an for things to get better. If it takes 12 months or whatever, than we just have to be patient, enjoy the time we have left here and save as much as possible.

Guest angus family
Well, you're higher up the list than us - so that should make you feel better today!!!!

They will continue to process them I'm sure, they've just put a delay on things because of the global situation.

Good luck

Sue x

Hi we applied for a 175 back in January and not heard a thing, we spoke to our agent on friday and she said she is not sure what will happen about the 175s, we should maybe change to a 176 but we want to go to brisbane and my hubby is a plumber and they are not needed there so we are also going to hold out till July 1st then decide what to do what a nightmare ...

Guest Anton
Hi Sue,

I totally agree with you. Thinking positively is a good way to go, even if people think we are naive, but, at the end of the day nobody knows what's going to happen, it could all change again! I wish you the best and good luck!

Hi, i'm on 175 too, on-going assessment at EA. (To Gill; changed from Prod'n to Mech'l Eng'r, now got the passmark..hopefully there's no problem in the future).

The way i understand the situation, i hope this helps too, the csl (and the sponsored/job offer) are given precedence over the non-csl just in the priority processing. Now, in case they haven't reached their quota..that's the time they consider the non-csl. But then again, I agree with Shreen and Sue, nobody really knows what's going to happen.

God bless everyone.

Anton

Archived