WA Mandurah need help with cost of living

Guest Marie & David

Guest Marie & David

Looking to have SSV to WA and they have some questions, how will we pay for are life, so how much is the cost of food, water bills, elec bills, clothes, school uniform, I have 3 children 15, 13, 11, and the cost of a car, so just some ideas please.:arghh:

Food bills you can easily get the jist of by going on www.coles.com.au and doing a shop like you would with Tesco/Asda here.But then your fruit and veg andmeat is cheaper in the markets so I've been told.

I asked a similar question last yr and got a few quotes off people re: their household budgets so I inflated them a little (to be safe) if you want a copy of it send me a PT.

You can find almost anything out if you are prepared to do the research online yourself. Google is wonderful!!!

Guest mcleod275

Hi Guys we have recently submitted our application for WA SSV. I used the following breakdown of costs which I got from another chat forum which made life sooo much easier:

Electric$150Gas$70Water$110Shire Rates$100Car Ins$50House Ins$60Foxtel$100Phone and Internet$130Food$1,100Car Rego$430Petrol$300School$700

This is costs per month, obviously delete anything which you do not think you will need, both our girls have been offered places in Catholic schools which are private, hence the school fees that we have added on. Also we have enough money to pay for 6 months rent up front and then we are hoping to buy a house for cash so we have not included any rent/mortgage payments but if you are not in the same situation then ensure you add on your expected rent/mortgage.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Claire xx

Hi Guys we have recently submitted our application for WA SSV. I used the following breakdown of costs which I got from another chat forum which made life sooo much easier:

Electric$150Gas$70Water$110Shire Rates$100Car Ins$50House Ins$60Foxtel$100Phone and Internet$130Food$1,100Car Rego$430Petrol$300School$700

Claire xx

Car Rego $430 !! ???????? Per month???????????

Also please can you explain schools $700 p mth

Ta Jo x

Guest Scamp1976

This is costs per month,

Yep, and add to this the cost of the house like taxes and council rates, repairs to the house, etc. In the best case you can rent something cheap for 400$ per week ( which is 1600$ per month ).

If you want to buy something , then you'll spend about 500.000 on a home in the far outer suburbs, which will be about 3000$ per month in interest repayments ( that's just the interest, not the repayment of the actual loan )

Then ofcourse you need to add the toll road, or the public transport.

Guest eddie007

You very much cut your coat according to your cloth here... its easier not have surplus money here than in the uk, so long as you have something to fall back on in an emergency.... lots of "free" stuff to do... Living costs are similar to the uk... but "different...

We just had the highest electricity bill EVER in 18 months... $150... but that was the summer air conditioning bill... it evens out over the yrear to $80 per month for us... gas is about the same...

Shopping... well you get quite canny... and a freezer helps... If you can stock up on specials (like in the uk) it helps but most imporatantly to save money eat seasonally... and don't buy the cherries ($22 - $30 per kg!!!!!)

Second hand cars here are a shocking price... I don't understand why.... we paid $2000 for a 1982 toyota corrolla! But is is a trusty little car... with less than 100,000 km on it that will probably be running when the world ends... nothing on it to go

wrong!

Car insurance is cheaper than the uk... especially if you are younger... rego depends on the vehicle..

Health insurance (top of the range) for a family of 6 is costing us $65 per week... we are PR but have it "just in case

We brought a house in Rockingham in a "nicer area" it needs work but our $385,000 mortgage costs us $625 per week... we are "over paying" to reduce the term... we wouold only HAVE to pay $526 per week if we wanted...

When we arrived we rented a 5x2 with pool for $275 per week... but now you'd be talking $350 for the same house...

Gym membership (an essential for me .... NOT) is currently $13.95 per week..

Uniforms depend upon which school you send your kids to... some of the private ones add up quite quickly, however ours are at a local state school and have white short sleeved shirt ($5 each) and shorts/ trousers/skorts at about $25 per pair...

Petrol prices are up and down like a whores drawers on paynight... current;y (today) 114 ct per litre, 110ct discounted... It was up to the high 180cts late last year... and has been down to 90cts Your fuel costs will depend upon distances travelled and thirst of car... My toyota I fill up once every 3 - 4 weeks... costs $40 and I get 500km out of that.. toodling to work and back and occasional trips to shoopping centre/ school... My OH petrol guzzling 4x4 beastie uses $40 a week!!!

Furniture is expensive and setting up a home is far more than we thought... wish we had brought EVERYTHING with us... I can't remember the last time I had to buy clothes pegs in the uk... but we had to when we arrived here!!!!

Hope that helps... if you have specific questions don't be afraid to ask...

• 3 years later...
Guest shaunjoan

Hi we are on about moving to mandurah,my hubby is just in the process of being offered a job,he will be on roughly 27 dollars an hour plus bonuses,would we be able to live a comfortable life on that,we are just working class and dont live above ourselfs,exited but scared to move,incase its gonna be just like here,work to pay bills.But i suppose we will be guaranteed sunshine, thanks Joan

Been in mandurah 4.5 years and thisnis roughly our bills per month

Food $700 but I am away every other week and the wife lives on the leftovers from when I am home

Elec $50 but we are very frugal. Wife even unplugs the cooker before bed

Gas $50 but we do like baths rather than showers

Rent $350 but budget $450 as we have a very good deal

Car $100 that would cover fuel, insurance, rego, but I have a small car that is parked up every other week

Mobile $54 each

Internet $40

Entertainment. Varies a lot depending on what so a bottle of wine on the beach in summer watching the sun go down $20 but a meal in a good restaurant in Perth with drinks and a bar or two after $500 for two

Misc $250 to cover general spends

Health we are pr and with Bupa. I get a 5% discount via work and it is $4000 a year, but I insisted on the very best policy with little or no out of pocket expenses.

Dog costs including insurance $50

This is for me and my wife, no children

• 1 month later...
Been in mandurah 4.5 years and thisnis roughly our bills per month

Food $700 but I am away every other week and the wife lives on the leftovers from when I am home

Elec $50 but we are very frugal. Wife even unplugs the cooker before bed

Gas $50 but we do like baths rather than showers

Rent $350 but budget $450 as we have a very good deal

Car $100 that would cover fuel, insurance, rego, but I have a small car that is parked up every other week

Mobile $54 each

Internet $40

Entertainment. Varies a lot depending on what so a bottle of wine on the beach in summer watching the sun go down $20 but a meal in a good restaurant in Perth with drinks and a bar or two after $500 for two

Misc $250 to cover general spends

Health we are pr and with Bupa. I get a 5% discount via work and it is $4000 a year, but I insisted on the very best policy with little or no out of pocket expenses.

Dog costs including insurance $50

This is for me and my wife, no children

Hi, I am planning to move Manduarh at Jan 2013. Can you tell me how much earning is possible by odd jobs?

car rego is your car registration, like the UK you can pay 6 or 12 months. It includes 3rd party insurance. Whenever you buy a car you need also to pay transfer fees and stamp duty calculated on the market value of the car. If you cant/dont want to pay your rego, you have 3 months to hand in your car plates (yes you have to physically take them off) into a licensing centre to de-license the car. You can still keep the car but if it goes over the 3 months you then need to take it over the pits (mot) before you can re-register the car and get new plates.If you forget to hand the plates in, its a $100 fine

Archived