White goods + electrical items

pez2008

Hi. I know this has been asked before but im no good at searching ( no patients lol) can you take fridges/ freezers, tv's, dvd players,lamps,hairdryers/straightener thingy's and power tools etc and just buy an adapter plug thingy or are certain things i.e fridges banned because they contain gases ( i think). we was going to hire a container and take as much stuff as poss as we been advised its cheaper to ship than replace everything. All advice gratefully received Pez&Sarn.

Hiya you can bring all your electrical goods, some dont bother with TVs as they aren't guaranteed to work over here everything else is just a case of changing plugs when you arrive. I also heard the rumour about Fridges but know many family's who shipped them and have had no problems at all

Cal x

Your UK dvd player wont play Aus dvds unless it is a universal (region free) one. But then if you buy one here it may not play your UK dvds (same proviso). You can sometimes make dvd players region free with the judicious use of a hack. Most Aussie fridges are stonking great things, not the nice neat little "bar fridge" that fits under the kitchen workbench too so any place you rent/buy is likely to have a big fridge space.

Guest James.S

I believe that most fridges from the UK aren't great as they don't like it being so hot, the compressors are overworked and they give up quite quickly...

However, electrical things are more expensive here, for instance a miele vacumm that we had in the UK (but didn't ship) was $599 in a sale (around £300) in the UK it's £175 ($350)... a lot of the UK brands they don't have here so it's not so easy to compare other things, most refridgeration is from the US, most other things are from China, they don't really do a lot of the German or Italian white goods we have in the UK...

Power tools are also more expensive than i used to pay, but again they seem to slant towards brands that aren't so popular, DeWalt, Trend or Festo are all a lot, Makita and Hitachi are cheap...

The whole DVD region thing will also apply to a laptop... bloody annoying..!

All else just change the plug..!

James...

Archived