help, we need a short term furnished rental in Brisbane

lynnes

Hi everyone,

we (hubby and I) will be arriving in Brisbane in early June. I have a job at the Mater hospital and we need a short term furnished place to rent untill our furniture arrives from England and till we find a suburb where we want to settle more permanantly. Ideally I dont want to be commuting for more than 30 mins, hubby is hopeing for a job at Brisbane docks so anywhere between the two would be great. Can anyone help with advice on a nice suburb and letting agents who would be able to help with this.

We have been looking at Springfield Lakes, Collingwood Park, Ferny Grove, Redbank Plains, Wynumm and Manly.

Many thanks

Lynne:confused:

Hi everyone,

we (hubby and I) will be arriving in Brisbane in early June. I have a job at the Mater hospital and we need a short term furnished place to rent untill our furniture arrives from England and till we find a suburb where we want to settle more permanantly. Ideally I dont want to be commuting for more than 30 mins, hubby is hopeing for a job at Brisbane docks so anywhere between the two would be great. Can anyone help with advice on a nice suburb and letting agents who would be able to help with this.

We have been looking at Springfield Lakes, Collingwood Park, Ferny Grove, Redbank Plains, Wynumm and Manly.

Many thanks

Hi lynne

Have the hospital not given you a list of short furnished lets are they giving you some rent back in your relocation package (if you do this be careful as the rent is sometimes higher than private rent) I have seen someone post on here that they do short term furnished rents Im sure when tough spider had trouble they spoke with them ill rack my brains to see if i can remember the people (just brain dead today just back from uk visit)

Guest JoanneHattersley
Hi everyone,

Many thanks

Springfield Lakes and Collingwood Park are way over a 30 minute commute, so is Redbank Plains. Wynnum and Manly are the opposite side of town to me so not sure there - Id think more than 1/ 2 hour tho!

BEst thing to do is to get yourself onto www.realestate.com.au/ and look up on there, also www.ourbrisbane.com will give you lots of stuff on Brizzys suburbs. We have a suburbs section on here Queensland Suburbs - PomsInOz Forum which will give you copius amounts of info.

There are a few nurses threads on here to which might be able to help!

Good Luck x

Thanks everyone, been checking out the suburbs section for a while now but I think it's got to the stage of information overload LOL. my head is spinning at the moment. I will spend tonight checking out the links you have all gave me. Thanks Cal, been getting info from realestate.com for a while but yes they are mainly unfurnished which will be great for longer term once we decide where to go. Hope I can meet up with you all very soon.

thanks again

Lynne

Hi nursesue

the mater is giving us a relocation package and will reimburse 2 weeks rent. I have'nt received the package as yet but I've emailed the hospital for more info, so watch this space. Thanks so much for the advice, will keep and eye on the cost. hope you get over the jet lag soon.

Guest ClaireF

Hi LynneS,

Afraid you'll def find short term furnished rentals much more expensive than the kind of rentals on realestate.com.au (which are almost all unfurnished - tax reasons mean most rentals are unfurnished in Australia). Also you need to be here to view the places from realestate.com.au or they won't consider your application.

There are a few short term places around, can't remember the websites I looked at as just randomly searched but we stayed at the Alexandra Apartments near the Princess Alexandra Hospital (~15 mins from the Mater) for a few weeks while we looked for a place to rent & I could book there online from the UK. Rent there for a one bedroom small furnished flat was ~$450 a week compared to $350 a week for a large 2 bedroom unfurn house we're now living in. Had a few weeks with minimal furniture while waiting for Customs to release our stuff but was worth it.

Thanks Claire

The Mater do have some furnished accommodation at the Mater Hill just waitiing to see how much and avialability. It does seem expensive but then I suppose you will pay more for furnished. We cant decide whether to ship our stuff a few weeks before we leave so we dont have to rough it for so long there as we want to be in our own place asap. Can I just ask, whats Alderely like?. we would need a 3 bed place to rent and not too far from the Mater, its so hard to judge places on the internet is'nt it.

Thanks again.

Lynne

Guest ClaireF

We liked Alderley, found it a bit cheaper than Newmarket/Windsor area & yet only 15 mins by train from the CBD (an extra 10 mins or so to the Mater if you train to south bank & then walk or get the Busway one stop to the Mater). My husband quite like Ferny Grove also (felt alot further out but really only 10 mins extra on same train line or driving time).

When we were staying temporarily in Buranda/Woollongabba, could get the Busway to the city (like a train but kind of express buses with limited stops & special lanes instead) which stops right outside the Mater Hospital so may be worth checking where the Busway stops wrt househunting also? eg don't think it operates north of the river?

Re: shipping, we sent our stuff a few weeks before we left but then stayed with inlaws for a week or two before we left. Although it arrived in Qld quite quickly (6 weeks?) it took another month at least to go through the hoops with Customs inspections etc before it was actually released & delivered. We bought a bit of furniture here & made do in the meantime. Took us a week of solid househunting to find & secure a rented place and then another 2 weeks to buy stuff & arrange delivery before we actually moved in.

cheers,

Claire

hi we are in mcdowall on the northside of brisbane we stayed in a lovely house for 3 weeks on our arrival .The price was around $1000 a week but thats the price you pay also it has got a pool we ended up renting the house next door if you would like theladies phone no pm me and i will get it for you.

• 2 years later...

Archived