Singapore Airlines compared to Qantas to fly back to the UK

Guest Aidan

Guest Aidan

Hi Guys

We normally use Qantas, but are going to fly back to the Uk using Singapore Airlines. only because they are coming out slightly cheaper. Have you used both airlines, how do Singapore compare to Quantas food in air entertainment etc?

Thank you for taking the time to read my thread.:yes:

Guest Eindhoven

Hi

I haven't flown Qantas but my husband has. We both flew Singpore last year on the A380 and thought it was great. The journey is comfortable, the food is great and the entertainment was great too. I thought it was a great flight as far as being in the air for 22 hours goes.

My Husband says the Qantas flight was pretty much the same including comfort, and he's 6'5". He says if he had the choice again he would fly Singapore but then again he has not been on th Qantas A380.

Hope this helps!

Guest snow white

we used singapore twice and have used quantas once Singapore were excellent food wise and looking after me oh and our 6 children couldnt fault them at all

Lesley x

Guest proud2beaussie

I've flown over 125000 miles with Qantas and I believe they are a world class airline and I fly with them whenever I can,however I have also flown 20 times with SIA and they are without doubt one of the leading airlines in the world,they certainly lead the Asian carriers for service and the quality of the food is excellent,I don't know if you will be flying on the A380 (SQ 220) but if you are then you will have a great time,I was on the inaugural Singapore Airlines A380 flight into Australia and I believe that it is the finest aircraft ever built.however even on a 747 Singapore are a fabulous airline and I think you should have a great trip.

Guest tim_the_taf

No comparison, SIA is way better, I don't even consider Qantas when I fly back and to (about 5 times a year). Recently tried Emirates and Cathay. Cathay via HK is too long, adds another 2 hrs to the journey, and HK airport is a soulless and boring place. Their food is better than SIA in my view, and their new economy is pretty good. Very similar to SIA's new economy on the 380 and 777-ER series. However, lots of flights are still old economy, not so good. Emirates - mixed. The 777-200LR and 380 are comfortable, good entertainment system (in fact too good, its very complicated to use), and food is probably the best of the lot as long as you don't opt for special meals, which are awful. However, the other aircraft (A330/340, 777-ER series) have the most uncomfortable seats of the lot. They tilt back when you recline them, the seat squab tilts up and your feet leave the ground. Trouble is, they decided to remove the foot rests that they were designed to be used with. Result is incredible discomfort. Also, Dubai airport is a hole of a place, and they only take local currency, GBP, Euro and USD in the restaurants and shops.

To summarise, I only look at SIA or Emirates, and choose the lower priced. If its Emirates I choose the flights with the right aircraft on them. Personally I wouldn't touch Qantas with a barge pole.

Guest tim_the_taf

I forgot to mention a BIG caveat with the 380 on Emirates. I was at the back of the aircraft - only 5 toilets for approx 400 people in total, and at the back, there was 1 for about 80 people. Supposed to have been two but one was out of order. I waited between 20 and 25 mins to go the loo.

Also, the carpet was in shreds, and trim was hanging off the wall. This is in an aircraft that was 2 months old ! And the crew hadn't a clue - the stewardess told me they hadn't figured out the best way to serve people yet (after 2 months). At Heathrow, the good old Brits only open 1 door, instead of the 2 that every other airport in the world uses. So it took me nearly 20 mins to get off the plane. So I now stick to Gatwick flights with 777s.

Guest proud2beaussie

Hi Georgie,

Yes I've flown with BA many times and they are a pretty good airline,I personally don't think they are as good as Qantas or Singapore but that is just my opinion.

I think their crew are friendly and the food is pretty good but their fleet is looking tired and as they don't get their first new A380 till 2012 I think they may struggle for passengers,that's why there are some cheap fares on BA at the moment.

I'm not saying that they aren't a good airline just not as good as they used to be.

If you like you can go to

SeatGuru Seat Map British Airways Boeing 747-400 70-Bus. (744)

to find the best seats for the UK-AUS route.

Thanks Nigel

If i had to fly with BA it would have to be from Sydney not Brisbane as only Quantas fly to uk from here out of the 2. So i will probably stick to Quantas then. Just a wee bit scared after all the recent problems they have had!! :shocked:

Guest proud2beaussie
Thanks Nigel

If i had to fly with BA it would have to be from Sydney not Brisbane as only Quantas fly to uk from here out of the 2. So i will probably stick to Quantas then. Just a wee bit scared after all the recent problems they have had!! :shocked:

Hi Georgie,

As I said in my post I have flown many thousands of miles with Qantas and have never had a problem with them and the incidents that were reported last year were massively beaten up out of all proportions,I've been flying Qantas for over 22 years and I've been a qualified travel agent for 10 years and believe me if I had any worries with Qantas I would not fly with them or book my clients on them.

Please don't worry,also remember that even if you were to fly with BA out of Sydney then many BA flights are Qantas codeshares on Qantas metal anyway.

Regards

nigel

I have flown BA several times, once recently and while I found them quite good, I especially found their ground crew excellent, especially when my flight was cancelled, they did a hop, skip and jump to get me on another flight and gave me meal vouchers etc, many apologies too. I am sorry that Qantas is getting lots of bad flack recently, and the reason I say this is that my brother's best mate is one of their pilots and he says that most airlines have similar things happen in their normal maintenance routines and don't get half the publicity. The jet incident where the underbelly blew out was a once off type of incident, and was unfortunate. However, Qantas pilots are some of the best in the world, and I have no problems flying with Qantas. After a long time away from home putting up with unfriendly and super busy airline crews in the US, it was nice to head home with Qantas and have a fantastic friendly crew where nothing was too much trouble. They had a great entertainment system, no complaints. I know that people's experiences are different, but I for one think that sometimes Qantas get a bad rap, and other airlines get away scot free - the media decide who gets the publicity on a particular day. I also know some of the Qantas cabin crews, and they will tell you "It's not the Qantas of old", of course the airlline crews are very busy and usually short staffed, so we know that affects their service. No complaints about Singapore though, very good.

Guest tim_the_taf

Qantas has today grounded its A380 fleet due to a fuel leak on one of it's aircraft. Enough said, I'd stick to SIA or Emirates.

PS: I used BA for years - gold card, nearly 400,000 air miles with them etc. Stopped using them a few years ago; crap service, crap product, crap prices.

If you were to check the maintenance schedules of most airlines, you will find similar routine maintenance problems coming up. We just don't hear about it as much. Long haul jets often have maintenance hiccups, one funny email I had described the maintenance request sheets from pilots to the maintenance crews, and they were quite funny, but the point it made was that it was most airlines which have these problems.

Guest proud2beaussie

Actually it has nothing to do with Qantas,I have close contact with all airlines on a daily basis and can reveal that both SIA and Emirates have had problems with fuel icing and Emirates had to fly an A380 back to Toulouse from the UK on 3 engines recently,there are severe reliability issues creeping into the A380 now which is to be expected after about a year in RPT service.

Guest John Sydney

I have to say from my experience SIA is the best followed by emirates then Qantas Cathay Pacific last is B.A. and behind BA is any US Airline

I use to fly Syd / Istanbul return monthy for 3 years and change Airlines every 4 months or so. SIA always seems to be good, Qantas has its days then poor old BA seems to screw up every second flight just not worth it

Guest proud2beaussie

As I said it's not confined to Qantas,on January 27 Emirates A380 EDD suffered a major fan blade failure at LHR, of number four engine which led to the aircraft being ferried on three engines back from London to the manufacturers base at Toulouse,the A380 is so big that the engines cannot be shipped on a conventional plane ,fortunately it can fly well on just three engines.

The latest report I have from Qantas is that manufacturing defects are suspected of causing the fuel problem and it is very likely that all A380's worldwide will need to be inspected.

Guest snow white

we used singapore and emirates and oh used emirates and quantas top of our list was definitely singapore they were rreally helpful and the food was great they helped with the children and prams all in all would definitely recommend them to all

lesley x

Guest tim_the_taf

If it was Qantas' only issue, I might accept that. But they have a consistently poor record of failures and incidents that can't be ignored. And their in-flight "product" just isn't up to SIA or Emirates I'm afraid. So, if you like them, great, you stick to Qantas, and I'll stick to my view that I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole, and prefer to fly with SIA.

Actually it has nothing to do with Qantas,I have close contact with all airlines on a daily basis and can reveal that both SIA and Emirates have had problems with fuel icing and Emirates had to fly an A380 back to Toulouse from the UK on 3 engines recently,there are severe reliability issues creeping into the A380 now which is to be expected after about a year in RPT service.

Guest tim_the_taf

There is a separate issue, which is what does everyone think of the A380 ? I found it very quiet, which was great, but the time to get off the aircraft at Heathrow, plus the lack of toilets etc. ruined the experience for me, which is why I now choose 777s instead. What's the consensus ? Boeing or A380 ?

Has anyone actually flown with British Airways? We have to fly with them or Quantas because of doggy and just wondered if anyone had an opinion?

Thanks

Flown with both Georgie! Found them and food average, cabin crew, stuck up or snobby, also way past their flying days. Mind you that was 5 years ago and since I prefer emirates.

Kernow we flew with Emirates coming here and i wouldnt fault them at all. Unfortuately not an option going back as they dont fly from Brisbane - that is they might but they dont carry dogs. We could go seperately from her but would be worried so i think we will go on the same plane (crazy i know as she originally came 2 weeks before us anyway!)

Georgie

(Still got til December to decide so may not need all this info if we change our minds about getting back)

Flown with both Georgie! Found them and food average, cabin crew, stuck up or snobby, also way past their flying days. Mind you that was 5 years ago and since I prefer emirates.

Kernow, just wondered in which way did you mean that the cabin crews were 'past their flying days'. Did you mean that all cabin crews should be young (under 35 as is Richard Branson's style??).

Kernow, just wondered in which way did you mean that the cabin crews were 'past their flying days'. Did you mean that all cabin crews should be young (under 35 as is Richard Branson's style??).

possibly, but a bit more with it, United Airlines are the same, too old to be bothered, younger staff seem keener to help.

Archived