Singapore Airlines compared to Qantas to fly back to the UK

Guest Aidan

Guest proud2beaussie

Sorry Kernow43 but I'm afraid I have to disagree with comments about the age of cabin crew,

the last time I worked it out I had flown nearly 1.8 million kilometres with various airlines and in that time I have been in two situation where the plane has made an emergency landing and I can tell you on both occasions the younger cabin crew were all completely useless,they didn't do anything dangerous but they just stood there and worried whereas the older,more experienced crew took charge of the situation and made the passengers feel reasssured.

It's fine to talk about "past their flying years" but from my experience you can keep your giggly school kid type of FA and give me a slightly older ,more experienced person any day.

possibly, but a bit more with it, United Airlines are the same, too old to be bothered, younger staff seem keener to help.

I have found some of the younger cabin crews very stuck up,they seem to think it's a catwalk ("look at me"). When we flew Qantas domestic, as opposed to Virginblue (only eye candy allowed) my young daughter asked me "Mum, did you notice some of these flight attendants are old?". I replied "Because Qantas don't discriminate against women because of age".

I agree though that Emirates are good, but airline food is generally airline food, and as far as Qantas is concerned their food is just as 'good' as other airlines. Mind you I hate flying full stop, but have done plenty of it - I pass my time by trying to pre-empt who the cabin crews are going to choose as B.O.B. (everyone knows that they get the best service !!! LOL).:biggrin:

We flew with Emirates a couple of years back to Perth with our then 3 year old and they were very good.

Went back to Perth a few weeks ago and flew with BA/Quantas......were a bit concerned as we'd heard bad things about both, so we wre expecting a difficult 23 hours. Have to say that BA were fantastic. Couldn't help us enough. We were travelling with a 5 year old and a 18 month old.

We had bulkhead seats on both BA flights, which make a HUGE difference. Also had a little baby seat on the bassanet fitting for our youngest. Looked after us all really well on the ground and in the air. Made sure we took our buggy right on to the plane and seated us first. Kids were asleep before we even took off, and slept for the majority of the flight! Food was great. Quantas however, different story. On the way home insisted on taking our buggy from us at the check in with our luggage as 'it's too much hassle for someone to store it later'. Assured us however there would be one waiting for us at Changi....was there ****. Gave us a broken replacement buggy to use in airport. When I pointed this out the woman shrugged at me............When we boarded saw 2 other mums taking buggys upto plane, guess they just kicked up more of a fuss than us? At Changi......no buggy had to carry 2 sleeping children and all our handluggage for miles and was 45 mins before we were found one, by which time it was nearly time to board again. Honestly thought I was going to keel over, was sweating buckets, red in the face....attractive! Also were not given promised bulk head seats on Quantas. Lots of people with babies in ordinary seats, and people without any kids in the bulkhead!

Anyhow rant over and other than that Quantas were ok!!!!!!!

Amanda

We flew with Emirates a couple of years back to Perth with our then 3 year old and they were very good.

Went back to Perth a few weeks ago and flew with BA/Quantas......were a bit concerned as we'd heard bad things about both, so we wre expecting a difficult 23 hours. Have to say that BA were fantastic. Couldn't help us enough. We were travelling with a 5 year old and a 18 month old.

We had bulkhead seats on both BA flights, which make a HUGE difference. Also had a little baby seat on the bassanet fitting for our youngest. Looked after us all really well on the ground and in the air. Made sure we took our buggy right on to the plane and seated us first. Kids were asleep before we even took off, and slept for the majority of the flight! Food was great. Quantas however, different story. On the way home insisted on taking our buggy from us at the check in with our luggage as 'it's too much hassle for someone to store it later'. Assured us however there would be one waiting for us at Changi....was there ****. Gave us a broken replacement buggy to use in airport. When I pointed this

out the woman shrugged at me............When we boarded saw 2 other mums taking buggys upto plane, guess they just kicked up more of a fuss than us? At Changi......no buggy had to carry 2 sleeping children and all our handluggage for miles and was 45 mins before we were found one, by which time it was nearly time to board again. Honestly thought I was going to keel over, was sweating buckets, red in the face....attractive! Also were not given promised bulk head seats on Quantas. Lots of people with babies in ordinary seats, and people without any kids in the bulkhead!

Anyhow rant over and other than that Quantas were ok!!!!!!!

Amanda

Oh that was a difficult experience, sorry to hear that. It wouldn't hurt to write a letter to Qantas and complain, as I did when I checked in at LA and saw in front of me the baggage handlers "chucking" our bags as high in the air as they could onto the luggage belts. They didn't even try and hide the fact they were doing it. You are right about speaking up regarding the buggy, don't they say the squeakiest doors get the most oil???

Sorry Kernow43 but I'm afraid I have to disagree with comments about the age of cabin crew,

the last time I worked it out I had flown nearly 1.8 million kilometres with various airlines and in that time I have been in two situation where the plane has made an emergency landing and I can tell you on both occasions the younger cabin crew were all completely useless,they didn't do anything dangerous but they just stood there and worried whereas the older,more experienced crew took charge of the situation and made the passengers feel reasssured.

It's fine to talk about "past their flying years" but from my experience you can keep your giggly school kid type of FA and give me a slightly older ,more experienced person any day.

I suppose it all comes down to ones opinion, I think Qantas today are useless in a lot of ways, check in is very slow compared to others. Domestic Virgin wins hands down.

I might put what I said before in another context. I compare Qantas cabin crew to other airlines the way one would compare ABC [aunty] staff to a commercial station A little above others, sorry but that is my opinion.

Guest Rodger48

Hi Aidan

We have flown with both and also our own flagship airline and we would recommend SA every time, the attendants are immaculately turned out, polite and courteous and the service and in flight entertainment are superb. I hope the CEO of SA reads this as we will probably need a flight later this year, perhaps he/she could arrange a hefty discount (I wish).

Regards

Rodger

Archived