4 weeks on saturday

chippy2

:hug:well eveybody its nearly time to luv ya and leave ya,fly back to the good old uk in just over 4 weeks,not homesick at all but do miss a decent curry and fish and chips.great here as a holiday but really feel like weve been miss sold on the idea of australia,the great land of opportunities where if your on the csl you can get a job anywhere?well the dream comes at a price and with this recession looming a very high price.most of you know my story from past post a carpenter/joiner who arrived in this great land for a better lifestyle,shorter commute to work and main reason to give the kids a better life and better education,well how wrong could i have been,have not found work as a chippy since ive been here and are currently working as a painter moneys good and jobs alrigth,but still far less than i earned in the uk,the commute is a joke and if theres an accident (like most days)this quickly turns into a nigthmare.and then theres the education system make of that what you will,as on the news tonight still dont remember school kids in the uk been chased with machetes very scary and with no set ciriculam even scarier.just a quick word to eveyone who thinks living here is like neighbour and home and away its not,far from it.the truth is crime and drugs is on the same levels here as back home if not worse.also on the news tonigth was immigration as australia let in an extra 37000 people in last year they recorded an increase of 33000 australian people going on the dole and dont forget as new immigrants even on pr visas you can not claim this untill you have been in the country 2 years,do not want to put anyone off there dreams,just laying down some hard facts as the grass is not always greener.:cool:

Guest JoanneHattersley

Good Luck with your trip back and I am sorry that it didnt work out for you. Its good that people can hear the good stories and the other stories like yours when things havent worked. Gives a realistic perspective.

I think people do have to be VERY realistic when you come to Oz. I came here with no kids so I guess that made my move a little easier.

People need to remember that.....

- you`re still going to be working

- sun does NOT shine every day

- things are not always cheaper

- there is still crime

- the roads are still busy on friday nights and bank holidays

- you will still have the same bills to pay

The essence of what makes your life does not change but for me it is a quality of life that changed!

Good Luck Chippy, may you get everything you wish for back in UK! Keep in touch and update your story!

Guest Working to fish

.also on the news tonigth was immigration as australia let in an extra 37000 people in last year they recorded an increase of 33000 australian people going on the dole and dont forget as new immigrants even on pr visas you can not claim this untill you have been in the country 2 years,do not want to put anyone off there dreams,just laying down some hard facts as the grass is not always greener.:cool:

Good luck mate on your return.

Didnt go much on the guy on the news tonight ,who was trying to get immigration numbers down. The way he was playing it ,will only make it harder for immigrants here.

eddie

wish you all the best.

Hi Chippy 2

I'm so envious of you returning to the UK. I'be been here for 6 weeks and can`t wait to go back. I miss the UK weather, its culture and history. My work life balance was far better in the UK, shorter hours, shorter commutes and more annual leave. The dream of australia was always far better than the reality

Daz

Good luck in the UK Chippy, hope it all works out for you. You've made some really valid points in your post ... despite it all, are you glad you came and tried it?

Ali

have loved my time here the majority of aussies have made us welcome but you always get some arrogant ones no matter where you are in the world,really glad we gave it a go as would always have been thinking what if,but knew nearly straigth away with the work situation that it wasnt for me and have got a better standard of life back home as can only get called a pom so much as some aussies and english who have been here years say it nastily,keep going to beaches etc but when you live here and settle in,the novelty does wear off.will come back again but i think just for holidays as even with the kids think english education is far better and theres always something to do back home when it rains hahahahaha:biglaugh:

Hi Chippy 2

I'm so envious of you returning to the UK. I'be been here for 6 weeks and can`t wait to go back. I miss the UK weather, its culture and history. My work life balance was far better in the UK, shorter hours, shorter commutes and more annual leave. The dream of australia was always far better than the reality

Daz

hia daz,thats eveything we thought,not at all what you imagine i thougth work closer to home and more time to play with the kids but the reality is totally different longer hours less pay will stop there as could go on and on haha.as you say the dream of australia was always far better than the reality,and now its time to go back to reality and get back into a better routine.know this will be different for eveyone as eveyone has different circumstances but have travelled around a bit and eveywhere is very similar coles woolworth,servos,hungry jacks,macdonalds.theres seems to be no architecture or history anywhere

Guest donovan

Good luck with your move back to the UK Chippy, really sorry it has no worked our for you over here, as it seems to be the case for a lot of tradies at the mo.

Sarah x

Guest kazmatt

hi paul, hope you are well mate, i must agree with all you say, we go home five days before you and are looking forward to it but at the same time a little nervous about the massive task ahead of rebuilding our lives, your situation is pretty much the same as ours and i have got to know you a little through p.m`s, you seem like a great bloke, the package for australia we were sold did not live up to expectations either, the endless travelling to work, the trade i do not existing here, the high cost of living compared to the low wages, so on and so on, but i wish you the best of luck mate, and wish everyone else the best of luck too whether it be coming to australia or returning to the u.k. matt.

hi paul, hope you are well mate, i must agree with all you say, we go home five days before you and are looking forward to it but at the same time a little nervous about the massive task ahead of rebuilding our lives, your situation is pretty much the same as ours and i have got to know you a little through p.m`s, you seem like a great bloke, the package for australia we were sold did not live up to expectations either, the endless travelling to work, the trade i do not existing here, the high cost of living compared to the low wages, so on and so on, but i wish you the best of luck mate, and wish everyone else the best of luck too whether it be coming to australia or returning to the u.k. matt.

cheers mate,think you have to go through this to understand what it is really like,the trades we do are miss represented here,whether its plumber,plasterer,sparky,bricklayer or carpenter as to have to pass the tra to get here then find out it means nothing is a proper kick in the teeth,and with tough times ahead for tradies i dont think we will be the first or last to be returning home.all i can say is for those coming out do your homework find out if you have to retrain and if you are happy with your life and have a good job the grass isnt always greener.looking forward to a week on saturday should have a good laugh chippy2 aka paul

hope everything works out better for you in the uk!!

one little thing, you may think there's no history in australia but infact its rich in it! you obviously haven't looked very hard!(sorry to sound like an ass but the no history thing grates on me alittle)

sorry mate didnt mean to hit a nerve,what i ment is its not as much portayed as other countries i have visited:notworthy:

Agree with the novelty value of the beach, in a rental for the firs 12 weeks we went every weekend 'cos there was really nothing else to do, now we are at work during the week and want to do stuff to the house at weekend so certainly don't go as often, but we do have a pool and it still feels like we're on holiday when we're sat at the back of the garden.

:hug:well eveybody its nearly time to luv ya and leave ya,fly back to the good old uk in just over 4 weeks,not homesick at all but do miss a decent curry and fish and chips.great here as a holiday but really feel like weve been miss sold on the idea of australia,the great land of opportunities where if your on the csl you can get a job anywhere?well the dream comes at a price and with this recession looming a very high price.most of you know my story from past post a carpenter/joiner who arrived in this great land for a better lifestyle,shorter commute to work and main reason to give the kids a better life and better education,well how wrong could i have been,have not found work as a chippy since ive been here and are currently working as a painter moneys good and jobs alrigth,but still far less than i earned in the uk,the commute is a joke and if theres an accident (like most days)this quickly turns into a nigthmare.and then theres the education system make of that what you will,as on the news tonight still dont remember school kids in the uk been chased with machetes very scary and with no set ciriculam even scarier.just a quick word to eveyone who thinks living here is like neighbour and home and away its not,far from it.the truth is crime and drugs is on the same levels here as back home if not worse.also on the news tonigth was immigration as australia let in an extra 37000 people in last year they recorded an increase of 33000 australian people going on the dole and dont forget as new immigrants even on pr visas you can not claim this untill you have been in the country 2 years,do not want to put anyone off there dreams,just laying down some hard facts as the grass is not always greener.:cool:

I have stressed similar pionts in the past but as I have not got there yet guess work on my part realy. Some did not like me for it but coming from you as you have lived it I hope people take note.

Guest nikkichap

Chippy 2, Good luck on your return to the UK. Fully agree with your reasons to go home. Yesterday I booked my ticket to go home with my two boys. OH has to stay for another 6 months. :sad:. I'm scared to go home alone but I can't see myself coping any longer with the boring life style. I miss the hustle bustle of the UK. Have struggled to fit in and have been lonely and have began to get quite depressed with it all. OH would come with me now if he could. Like you, the beaches are great, but the novelty has worn off and although my boys do a couple of after school clubs they are not very professionally run. They miss the UK, they even miss UK education. For me going back sooner rather than later is the best thing all round as it gives the boys time to settle before the start of a new school year. It's going to be a struggle financially but with the support of family and friends I will be much happier all round. Good luck to you and your family.:smile:

Sorry it didnt work out for you but at least you have the option to return and I sincerely hope that you land on your feet and get back into the swing of things easily.

You are so right, it isnt the garden of eden that it is made out to be for the most part. As for the history - I am inclined to agree with you, I much prefer to see the evidence of thousands of years of human endeavour over a few grinding stones, spit paintings and mythology based on natural features. Horses for courses I reckon - history here not relevant to me. Heck, I have lived in houses older than the European settlement of Aus - the "history" of Aus (which seems to change from author to author) grates on me more than a little!

Hi, Havent read the whole thread just your first post here. Just wanted to say good luck and you are quite right abt alot of the things that you have said ie. crime, work etc... the world seems the same world-wide all suffering at the moment. But it depends what pulls you back and I think finances and family pull people back to the UK, and then you start thinking of all the other bad things in a country to make your decision clearer for you.

You've lived the experience good luck to you! Safe journey back and enjoy the chippie and Curries!

Archived