Electrician (general or special class?) (VETASSESS or TRA?) (Reference sample pls)

jimcz

Hi Guys,

I’m not English but I’ve been living, working and paying taxes in the UK for 2 years and so I can claim residency status. Basically, I think I can choose if I want to address TRA or VETASSESS. Could somebody experienced tell me the advantages and disadvantages? (Cost, time, better chance to get positive result)...

I’ve been working aprox. 10 years as a maintenance in various companies, i.e. repairing production lines, machines, work with industrial automation, plc, drivers, sensors, a little bit installations and so on. But I’m not definitely skilled in electronics, not at all! Shall I consider myself as a general or special class?

My last humble question is about references. As you can see, my English is still poor and I need to prepare several pages of ref. for my employers. Could somebody of you post some links where I could find some samples pls?

Hello Jimmy,

As it sounds like you have been living in the UK for the last 2 years it is your occupation and not location that will dictate what body assesses your skills.

TRA assess Electrician's (special Class) and Vetassess assess General Electricians. Have a look here for descriptions: http://www.ausstats.abs.gov.au/ausstats/free.nsf/Lookup/A86A0162E6F672DFCA256ADB001D10D4/$File/asco.pdf

If you believe you meet the criteria for both roles then the choice will come down to how you became qualified. If you completed a formal apprentice and gained formal qualifications then TRA is a simpler and cheaper process. If however you do not have formal qualifications then Vetassess is the only option.

Feel free to PM me if you need further guidance.

Archived