NURSES - Moving to Australia

Guest JoanneHattersley

Hi!

I would like to ask how long it takes for AHPRA to assess qualification? I sent mine March 2014. So far, I was asked to provide two additional documents, which I have already forwarded to them last month.

Thank you.

Search this site for the AHPRA thread, you will find some have been waiting since October.

Guest NuriootpaSA
I am hoping to hear something this week/early next week. They set a deadline of 19th Jun to make a decision on my case, (they chose to extend the assessment period). They haven't contacted me to extend it again....yet! but as it is tomorrow, I am hoping this will be result time.

I am hoping for a yes, expecting a no and a suggestion of bridging :wacko:

I hope you are successful, and when you are, expect a barrage of questions from the group on this thread :-)

I am hoping to hear something this week/early next week. They set a deadline of 19th Jun to make a decision on my case, (they chose to extend the assessment period). They haven't contacted me to extend it again....yet! but as it is tomorrow, I am hoping this will be result time.

I am hoping for a yes, expecting a no and a suggestion of bridging :wacko:

fingers and toes crossed and positive vibes. Hope you hear soon.

Hey everyone, I am too in the same situation. Living in oz on a P R. Patiently awaiting to hear something. Someone mentioned getting the press involved or unions. I don't understand how they can give a visa on the qualification but then not register. Unless they want to encourage people to claim benefits. Has anyone actually contacted ANMAC to question? Xxxx

Hi guys, just to let you know, a girl who is with the same nursing agency as me received her AHPRA registration on Wednesday this week! She applied in October and has a degree in nursing from the uk. Hope this is a positive sign for everyone and they'll slowly start coming through!...x

It's quite staggering how long this thread has gone on for, you'd have thought it a relatively straightforward problem to resolve.

UK diploma = ??

Feeling very lucky we slipped through just as all this took off. That said, my wife has since renewed her registration with no trouble at all.

Not sure if it's relevant to the thread, but for those wondering, once my wife got her registration she started working for WANA, based in Perth. We live in Mandurah/Dawesville so often a good hours drive. As we came over in Jan this year we timed it just right to hit the summer "lull" in terms of available agency shifts. One a week low. Also, the number of times she'd prepare for a night shift, only for it to be cancelled. Once after she drove the 90km to the hospital.

Things worked out out for us though, after I convinced her to register with a local agency down here and the lull passed, shifts were flying in. In the end, it she was offered a contract for the hours and shifts we needed through word of mouth and goodwill from other staff at the hospital.

Now it's "winter" out here admissions etc are peaking meaning more agency shifts are out there, but it's worth keeping in mind that employment agencies are the same the world over, get numbers on the books.

It was a horrible experience waiting for aphra, then the uncertainty of employment even once she had aphra. We are now able to look back and laugh, or I am at least.

Hi guys, just to let you know, a girl who is with the same nursing agency as me received her AHPRA registration on Wednesday this week! She applied in October and has a degree in nursing from the uk. Hope this is a positive sign for everyone and they'll slowly start coming through!...x

Thanks for this Lilmiss. It's good to hear there is movement. Hopefully, since the board are meeting fortnightly more people will start hearing from AHPRA.

Hi Guys, I received this email from my case worker on 20th of June.

Notice of Proposal to refuse registration

Board Considered your application 05 June 2014

Proposal to refuse

After considering your application, and all information and documents you provided to support your application, the Board is proposing to refuse your application for registration under section 82(1)© of the Health Practitioner Regulation National Law, as in force in each state and territory (the National Law). This letter is notice to you, under section 81 of the National Law, of the Board's proposal to refuse registration to you.

Reasons for decision

The grounds for this decision are that:

. You have not satisfied section 53(b) of the National law, as your qualification of a Diploma of Higher Education Pre-Registration Nursing (Adult) at the University of (NOT ENTERED DUE TO PRIVACY) has been assessed against the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) at level 6, and is determined as not being substantially equivalent, or based on similar competencies, to an approved qualification, which must be at AQF level 7.

In order for you to qualify for registration under section 53© of the National Law, the National Board requires that you successfully complete and Board-Approved Bridging Program in which you will have your competencies assessed.

Above is a word for word official letter from AHPRA

I am a Adult Nurse with experience in ICU and MAU and I hold a DipHE in Adult nursing. Apparently, a Diploma is no longer good enough.

Has anyone got any advice in regards to appealing this decision. Any argument suggestions for the appeal?

I will be contacting the AU High Commission in London on Monday and AHPRA Sunday night to D/W my case worker. But based on the letter, I don't see any other option than completing the bridging program. They have also included (not attached) a letter of eligibility for a Bridging Program and I have a few weeks to make and appeal or apply for the course.

I'm totally lost... my hopes and dreams just went up in smoke and I feel in such limbo at the moment, do I stay and convert my diploma to a degree in the UK, do I appeal and appeal or just admit defeat and fork out for the bridging program which also means starting the WHOLE AHPRA application from THE BEGINNING again!!

Surely the AQF level 6 should be based on a Australian Diploma of 2 years and not a UK one which is taught in a University for 3 years?

Please Help!! xx

So sorry for you, as you may have read, many of us diploma nurses have seen this coming, and for us, this is confirmation that we will have to undertake the bridging program. Did you have your skills assessed with ANMAC prior to your AHPRA assessment? Have you done any post reg courses at all? As AHPRA state these will be taken into account. I really can't offer any answers, as I think this is the way it is going for many of us, all I would say, is that, if it's your dream, this is just a hiccup! And I think the bridging course would be cheaper than converting in the UK. But I'm no expert, and hopefully someone will be along soon with more helpful advise!

Try to stay positive, it doesn't mean the end, just another hurdle to jump!

Best wishes

Edited by geordiegirl68
grammar

Gutted for you as I am also diploma nurse feel the pain. Dreading my refusal as bridging course is expensive. That's if I get bringing course as children trained only especially after anmac has assessed my diploma as equal to australian degree.

Edited by oz2014

Proposal to refuse

After considering your application, and all information and documents you provided to support your application, the Board is proposing to refuse your application for registration under section 82(1)© of the Health Practitioner Regulation National Law, as in force in each state and territory (the National Law). This letter is notice to you, under section 81 of the National Law, of the Board's proposal to refuse registration to you.

Reasons for decision

. You have not satisfied section 53(b) of the National law, as your qualification of a Diploma of Higher Education Pre-Registration Nursing (Adult) at the University of (NOT ENTERED DUE TO PRIVACY) has been assessed against the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) at level 6, and is determined as not being substantially equivalent, or based on similar competencies, to an approved qualification, which must be at AQF level 7.

In order for you to qualify for registration under section 53© of the National Law, the National Board requires that you successfully complete and Board-Approved Bridging Program in which you will have your competencies assessed.

I am a Adult Nurse with experience in ICU and MAU and I hold a DipHE in Adult nursing. Apparently, a Diploma is no longer good enough.

Has anyone got any advice in regards to appealing this decision. Any argument suggestions for the appeal?

I will be contacting the AU High Commission in London on Monday and AHPRA Sunday night to D/W my case worker. But based on the letter, I don't see any other option than completing the bridging program. They have also included (not attached) a letter of eligibility for a Bridging Program and I have a few weeks to make and appeal or apply for the course.

I'm totally lost... my hopes and dreams just went up in smoke and I feel in such limbo at the moment, do I stay and convert my diploma to a degree in the UK, do I appeal and appeal or just admit defeat and fork out for the bridging program which also means starting the WHOLE AHPRA application from THE BEGINNING again!!

Surely the AQF level 6 should be based on a Australian Diploma of 2 years and not a UK one which is taught in a University for 3 years?

Please Help!! xx

Thank you for sharing your result from AHPRA. I too am an Adult diploma trained nurse with MAU & Critical Care background. My guess is that my letter will be worded exactly the same as yours. At least you have softened the blow for me. The bridging programme is $10000 and I'm already here. Iv looked at the learning outcomes from the course and I'm confused with what we will gain and how that can make us equivalent to the Aus degree? They've got us by the short and curlies. The question is do we succumb to the money making scam or forget the whole process ??

So it's official.....the news we've all been dreading. Very disappointing to hear this. Agree with geordiegirl.....if it's your dream don't let them ruin it. And if you can do the Australian bridging course instead of topping up to degree here, because they are questioning every bit of UK degree too.

So who's everyone going to be complaining to about this total injustice and mockery of not only our countries qualifications but of our sanity?!

I certainly feel a strongly worded letter coming on, although cant see it making a difference, but are there any other routes we could go through i.e. media, legal to push how strongly we feel across?

Appalling news and so sorry for everyone this affects.

I really hope this doesn't affect Diploma registered nurses who are renewing and already working in Australia.

I also wonder how this affects Advanced Diploma nurses. When I applied to uni 3 years ago, I had an offer on a diploma course, an advanced diploma course and a degree course. The level of education was not important to me at all, however for cost of living reasons I chose the uni that offered the Degree. I just wonder how AHPRA are going to determine where the line lies? I wonder if the educational content etc will determine who gets through...

This is awful news, especially that experience seems to count for nothing.

When did you apply?

My wife applied mid October last year, whatever the outcome we need to know, the uncertainty is killing us. Life has been on hold so long now.

Proposal to refuse

Reasons for decision

Please Help!! xx

I am gutted for you. Thank you for sharing your results, as I too have a DipHE in Adult Nursing at 300 cat points. I plan to have a look online to see if anyone has won an appeal (in the past) & find out what grounds they won their case, if I find anything I will let you know.

Good luck x

Guest NuriootpaSA

I suppose the people to ask are the NMC. However, they are probably stuck between a rock and a hard place as they will be under pressure to keep nurses in the UK, and not seen to be supporting those who want to move overseas. Secondary, it's probably up to the UK Universities to decide if their qualifications are being misinterpreted, and then to pursue that. I don't believe that individual complaints to AHPRA will do much good, even in the form of an official complaint. Joint action is probably the only way forwards. My suggestion would be that ALL Diploma/Advanced Diploma Nurses affected should make contact with as many of their course colleagues as possible and make a joint application to their University to have their qualification ratified. A copy of your application should be sent to the NMC. The suggestion that their course/registration criteria is no longer seen as equal to an Australian degree SHOULD make them take action at least.

I'm really sorry to hear your news abbilouiseslatter.

My thoughts are the same as the others though, that if it's your dream then you have to plough on & jump through this new hoop if it's nursing you want to continue with & not give up. I realise it is easier said than done though & I really hope you end up where you want to be.

Gutted for you as I am also diploma nurse feel the pain. Dreading my refusal as bridging course is expensive. That's if I get bringing course as children trained only especially after anmac has assessed my diploma as equal to australian degree.

Hi, I am child trained too, on the project 2000 course, with a advanced diploma. Your comment about the the bridging course has worried me, do you think that being child trained excludes you from being able to do it? Just can't understand how ANMAC can assess it as equivalent to a degree but aphra dismiss it? Nat

Abbilouiseslatter, so gutted for you, this is the news we've all been dreading. Had you been skills assessed by ANMAC and Did you have a letter from stating that you're diploma was equivalent to a degree? Nat

This is what makes a mockery of the whole thing!! ANMAC assess us as degree equivalent, so we apply for and get (at considerable expense) our PR visas, then AHPRA say they don't recognise ANMAC's assessment, so they send us on a bridging course, accredited by who else?? But ANMAC!!! It's so wrong!

So sorry for you, as you may have read, many of us diploma nurses have seen this coming, and for us, this is confirmation that we will have to undertake the bridging program. Did you have your skills assessed with ANMAC prior to your AHPRA assessment? Have you done any post reg courses at all? As AHPRA state these will be taken into account. I really can't offer any answers, as I think this is the way it is going for many of us, all I would say, is that, if it's your dream, this is just a hiccup! And I think the bridging course would be cheaper than converting in the UK. But I'm no expert, and hopefully someone will be along soon with more helpful advise!

Try to stay positive, it doesn't mean the end, just another hurdle to jump!

Best wishes

Hi, I did my advanced diploma too long ago now to be able to convert it to a degree, but 2 years ago I got my neonatal qualification from Southampton uni (equivalent to 20 credits) and just about to complete my mentorship course from Bournemouth uni, also 20 credits. You mentioned about aphra taking into account post reg qualifications, Do you think that these would be accepted at all? Not sure whether to apply to aphra and see or save that money do bridging course & then apply? This diploma situation is just so disappointing. Nat

I'm hoping so!! On AHPRAs twitter page it states the NMBA see our diploma as equivalent to an AQF6, and we need AQF7 to register, but that post reg qualifications may be taken into account! I hope so I too have done 4 NMC modules post reg!! Look at Twitter, AHPRA is responding to concerns on there!! Although can't say it helps us too much!!