NURSES - Moving to Australia

Guest JoanneHattersley

I still don't get what you are implying here?

We are talking about UK registered nurses here on a Diploma not EU, there are UK nurses with Diploma's being granted AHPRA registration since the changes... So what wait are we waiting for? If you read through all the posts, migration agents have spoken in consultation with AHPRA and migration agents have been reassured that these changes wont have a major impact.

Edited by jac2011

Guest melcousins

Does anyone know the latest processing times for APHRA UK trained Nurses with ANMAC accreditation? And is it true if they are dragging their heels, you can go in person to one of their offices and they process there and then? I want to go mid July to Brisbane, APHRA have recieved my application this week, I'm thinking if there is a delay to go anyway and work as a support worker until my PIN comes, I have a 189 Visa

Thanks for any advice

They won't process it there and then, they're very difficult to work with. I handed in my app in person to Sydney office on 17/02/14. I had a letter 5 weeks later requesting more information as the rules had changed. They also claimed not to have received my letter of good standing from NMC. After several hours worth of phone calls, they acknowledged that they had it. My case worker does not return calls or emails so things have taken a bit longer as she's not given me any advice. She also says one thing on the phone and emails different information. I'm hoping that my uni have sent off last bit of info today so potentially could be registered in the next couple of weeks!

My advice would be to continuously chase them up with things. If you can be in Oz or have someone there to make phone calls I think that helps. Mine is taking longer due to me not having sent all of the required info at the start so your app should hopefully be complete and not take too long. I've read horror stories of people waiting several months but it doesn't seem to be that bad.

Good luck.

Hi,

How is the job market in Australia for Nurses?

I met a nurse from Poland last week. She has been here in Melbourne for three years, and is working as a phlebotomist in a laboratory. She says she couldn't get a job as a nurse that's why she's stuck doing that.

She took the bridging course, and registered with AHPRA. I don't know why she couldn't get a job, but she said she knows a lot of other nurses who have no jobs and waiting for agencies to give them duties.

I really hope she is wrong.

I am waiting for my AHPRA assessment. It's been a month since I passed the requirements.

Hi there, looking for a bit of advice please.

My wife is a UK RGN - Intensive care and community care experience.

Already has PR based on Husbands skilled 189 Visa application.

Already here and living in Cairns, not looking for work at moment as settling the children into new life in Australia.

She is waiting college of nursing training to supply transcripts of all experience and qualifications.

Will hopefully go back to nursing in the future.

Any advice on what to do next to become employable will be most welcome. Not sure if already being here on a PR Visa makes any difference.

Thanks.

I too have been incredibly frustrated with AHPRA, I am a Radiographer who has been through this AHPRA process, at first they wouldn't accept my JP who had signed the mountain of documents, however now I have a "registration agreement in principal" which requires me to present my passport with visa date stamp and proof of local address when I arrive. However my licence to practice and job relies on this registration but I have to be there in person to do this and potentially sitting there not working until they grant me registration. They have been so difficult so far I am worried that this "simply present your documents" may become a 6 week wait without income or a job.

Any emails I send asking specific question are just replied to with a general "look at the website response" ?

Has anyone gained full registration before arriving in Australia? The woman I spoke to said it was impossible and everyone needs to attend in person once they arrive, but it seems others on this forum have implied they have gained full registration. How have people managed this??

When I applied in 2013 I had to present in person..which I did and it was complete same day. ..but I have heard on here that ahpra have changed it this year so you dont need to present in person...but maybe it only applies to ppl who have applied recently?

Hello, I encountered a similar problem. Unable to get my registration finalised, however offered jobs but could not proceed with the recruitment process without AHPRA full registration.

I applied in September'13. I have an in-principle letter. After a number of frustrating e-mails to AHPRA and never actually receiving an answer to the question asked I telephoned. It was confirmed I needed to have actually entered Australia before my registration can be finalised. They need proof of date of entry into Australia (stamp on your passport). You can then either present with this in person or send a certified copy of your passport to one of the AHPRA offices.

It was eventually able to explained to my prospective employer who fortunately accepted the in-principle letter. Fly to Brisbane on Monday and need to head straight to the AHPRA office!

I didnt need proof of date of entry. ..I wonder if any of the ppl who stated they fully registered by posting in ID will reply! I def read ppl saying that

I needed to present in person when I initially registered in 2008, at that time it was with NSW as you had to register with each state and at the moment AHRRA e-mailed to confirm the following:

The attached letter confirms that your application has been assessed and it had been determined that you are suitable for registration.

The letter is issued as an in-principle approval of registration subject to you providing a certified copy of your passport and proof of date of arrival (In-principle approval valid until 1 December 2014). Once this information has been received, your registration can be finalised

You will have six weeks from the date you arrived in Australia to provide proof of your current residential address.

the above sent last month after my telephone conversation with AHPRA, however I am a mental health nurse perhaps Xlornax it may be different for other nurses??

Hi, my file was forwarded from ANMAC to AHPRA earlier this year. AHPRA then asked me to complete the new application form (even though I had already submitted the old application form prior to this!). I have now sent them all my documents and asked them for a rough timeline. I was told that they cannot give me a timeline at all, it is with an assessment team but they cannot let me know if it will be weeks or months! Not ideal when I have a job offer waiting for a date in which I can start!

I will update my thread if I hear anything.

Hayley x

Having played AHPRA's games of new criteria retrieval over the last 2 months my fiancee has finally had word that the application has been moved onto the next stage. I presume this is the decision making stage so was interested in how long everyone waited before hearing something back?

It has been exhausting waiting for this decision as it's been holding up everything else.

Thanks in advance!