NURSES - Moving to Australia

Guest JoanneHattersley

I got a job with nsw health through the free service of healthstaffrecruitment before I was registered, they just wanted me to have applied and be waiting to hear...but yeah applying direct to employers they will def look at ppl already registered first, some wont let you go further with job application until you have registration

I guess she can't actually apply for jobs before the application is finalised, chances of getting a job offer will probably be quiet slim?

Guest melcousins

Hi,

Can anyone advise? Im applying for a 189 visa which is being processed. Ive had a skills assessmnet by ANMAC which concludes I am indeed a community nurse. ANMAC have sent my docs to APHRA. I have emailed several questions to APHRA but cant get clear answers. Will the documents they already hold suffice for regsitration. They seem to want me to gain something from 'the institution' presumably where I trained as an RGN 20 years ago which is now closed. The NMC have provided a transcript of my training and verification, sent directly to ANMAC. I have since completed a post grad BSC with a university still open. The other question I have is if and when I get a letter of eligibility, how long do I have before having to attend APHRA in person and when I arrive in Brisbane how long does it take for a PIN to arrive?

Grateful for any tips

Haha..well done on Anmac verifying your qualification! I am currently 3 weeks into my skills assessment for Anmac to verify that I am also a community health nurse! How long did yours take? I hear 16 wks but i'm hopeful it won't be that long! I think there are a lot of issues with aphra at the moment requesting further documentation. You will see many posts on here about that. I believe its within 12 months to present at an aphra office. But dont quote me on that! :-)

Hi everyone,

Is it easy enough to get your skills assessed? Who did you get to certify documents? I am also a nurse going to move to Perth just unsure where to start with it all and what visa to go for. I looked at getting a agent, but unsure if its a good idea. Has anyone heard of a agent called Mike Breen at Destination Oz Limited?

Vicky

I have just received a copy of my transcript from uni of Nottingham and that states the following:

Administration of Medication.

That is all, does this mean that this needs expanding on???

i'd imagine so unfortunately yes.......they want kinetics, dynamics, drug calculations & meds management..........i've got pharmacological studies, drug calculations and meds managements, but not those 2 magic words so am waiting on the NMC.............

Anyone been given a timescale as to when this will be decided?

i think it has been decided......the NMC have just advised me that they have just sent all of my information to AHPRA re the requirements of Criteria 8 and that this should satisfy this requirement

i think it has been decided......the NMC have just advised me that they have just sent all of my information to AHPRA re the requirements of Criteria 8 and that this should satisfy this requirement

Did you speak to any particular department/person at NMC or just send a general enquiry about what AHPRA had asked you for?

Did you speak to any particular department/person at NMC or just send a general enquiry about what AHPRA had asked you for?

we spoke to verification's for criteria 3 and transcript department for criteria 8, they seem to understand whats going on now so should be relatively easy

Thanks for letting us all know this Harby88. It'll really help once I receive the letter/email asking for further proof. My uni transcript only mentioned pharmacology so it's a definite I'll be asked for more. Even though I'm a community nurse prescriber my other uni transcript didn't even mention that part of my course, typical!

Can I ask, do APHRA let you know when they've received your application or is it just a case of waiting to see when the money is taken from your account?

Thanks.

Thanks for letting us all know this Harby88. It'll really help once I receive the letter/email asking for further proof. My uni transcript only mentioned pharmacology so it's a definite I'll be asked for more. Even though I'm a community nurse prescriber my other uni transcript didn't even mention that part of my course, typical!

Can I ask, do APHRA let you know when they've received your application or is it just a case of waiting to see when the money is taken from your account?

Thanks.

from recall i think you'll see the money gone before you get any contact then you should get an email with a load of blurb in it that will basically have a letter attached telling you what further info they want off you with timescales for providing it and allocating you a case officer as a point of contact.

from recall i think you'll see the money gone before you get any contact then you should get an email with a load of blurb in it that will basically have a letter attached telling you what further info they want off you with timescales for providing it and allocating you a case officer as a point of contact.

Thanks Very much for keeping us informed.

We saw the money going at the date the application arrived at the AHPRA office. However, we never got any details nor personal contact, just a postal letter after almost 3 months... I don't know whether humans are working at AHPRA or just a computer sending randomized nonsens!?

Edited by hemzet

My case officer sent me an email but always the same words. no actual information on the status of the application. She said that there are 2 stages and mine is in the 2nd stage. No further information. I think they dont know either what is happening

Ha, we ringed up AHPRA to ask about the progress because we never had any personal contact from a case officer. They didn't even know there was a letter posted to us a week earlier!

thats good , but what did the nmc say they are actually going to do for Ahpra to sort this ?

they said that they will send verification's for people re course accreditation and transcripts for the meds management stuff as the transcripts that they hold are far more detailed than the info universities hold and they can demonstrate that this learning and assessment occurs throughout your 3 year training..........they didn't seem to think it was a major deal and were pretty relaxed about it so i'm guessing that the NMC & AHPRA have now finished their 'dialogue' and are comfortable with the arrangement re UK trained nurses?

Do you think this means from this point on we should be looking for transcripts from the NMC and transcripts from Uni? I am just wondering what I will need to collate when I qualify this September?

The more you get together now the better I'd imagine, it's obviously better to have too much stuff than too little.

My fiancee's Uni seem to think they have sufficient evidence for criteria 2 and 3 (and have asked £25 for the privilege) , the NMC seem to know what to do about criteria 8 however only time will tell.

Just gotta keep an eye on the posts here now and again, it's been very useful!