NURSES - Moving to Australia

Guest JoanneHattersley

Guest getmethere

Hi

Would love to know if anyone has been in a simillar situation: The nursing agency who have granted my 457 visa want me to arrive to start work within the next month but for different reasons I want to wait till the beginning of January.does anyone know if they can revoke my visa if I don't go when they want me too??

Guest sunilisa

Hi,

I moved to Brisbane 1 year ago (second person on my husbands 457 visa). We have decided to stay permanently and my Husbands job will sponsor him.

I qualified as a nurse in the uk in 1995 RN (adult) with Diploma, but havent practiced since 2003 as had a break to raise my children. My Registration lapsed in 2005.

I would like to recommence my nursing career but not sure if they would allow me to do a Return to Nursing course in Aus if qualified in UK.

Any idea where to start?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Lisa.x

Edited by sunilisa

Guest ausnursingnet
Hi,

I moved to Brisbane 1 year ago (second person on my husbands 457 visa). We have decided to stay permanently and my Husbands job will sponsor him.

I qualified as a nurse in the uk in 1995 RN (adult) with Diploma, but havent practiced since 2003 as had a break to raise my children. My Registration lapsed in 2005.

I would like to recommence my nursing career but not sure if they would allow me to do a Return to Nursing course in Aus if qualified in UK.

Any idea where to start?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Lisa.x

Hi Lisa,

You would probably want to speak to Nursing and Midwifery Board about the same. One of the "Registration Standard" is "recency of practice". So, they may ask you to do a Nursing course. It will depend on your qualification and prior experience and how Nursing and Midwifery Board looks at your details.

We assist UK nurses with their Registration and work element in Sydney. All nurses we have assisted have had recent experience with them.

Hope it helps.

- Australian Nursing Network

Hi Lorna

I qualify in March 2013 too and am looking to move over to Aus. There is a live down under event in Leeds at the start of November that I am going to, to get more information. Its also on in other areas around uk, Manchester etc, depending on where you are based I am not too sure if thats helpful!!

I have tried to find out about visas as much as possible, I want to go on a skilled visa so that it is permenant rather than going on a sponsered visa, as if i wanted to move jobs i think you only have 28 days to get another job if the one you are sponsered by does not work out. For me I would rather wait and get a permenant visa, so I am really trying to find out if when I have finished my degree and am registered with the Nursing and Midwifery board here in UK would I need an assessment too?

I want to apply for an expression of interest so then I just have to wait for an invitation to apply, but Imay need to wait until March and do this assessment?? Or maybe if we are registered by the NMC here we wouldnt need to do the assessment??[

Any help on the above from anyone would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Q

UOTE=lorcat;1935992602]Hi,

I'm a student nurse about to qualify in March 2013 and I'm looking to move to queensland, i've been before and would really like central qld, any tips on the best way to get a newly qualified job.

thanks

Lorna

Guest ameliaandmatt

Hi everyone,

I really need help. Im just starting out doing all my paperwork and I really need to know whether I can apply for my registration and my 189 visa at the same time? Or do I need to wait till my registration is sorted then do the visa application? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Hello,

which uni are you at? i'm at Bradford, is it adult you are doing? I went to an event in Manchester a few weeks ago it was run by health careers australia, it was good it seemed to relate mostly to "community" and mostly regional/rural based jobs eg aged care/primary care but they said to get in touch again just before i qualify and they would be able to help find a job, i wanted sponsorship as its a lot less expensive than doing it independently. Dthoyou know where in OZ you want to live? i've got good friends in Queensland so thats where i'm planning to go, keep in touch, Lorna

• 2 weeks later...

So it looks like the NMC are raising the registration fees to £100 a year. I am approved for AHPRA and plan to start work in Melbourne in January. I am looking for advice on keeping the NMC registration live or not? I have PR in Australia but don't know, like most, if I will live there forever. I have heard that it can be difficult re-registering with NMC, but equally, paying the annual fees to NMC and AHPRA seems steep! Advice or experiences please.

Thanks

Hey guys, can I clarify if I am going to Australia on a one year working visa to work and see if I like nursing in OZ do I need to fill in the ANMAC?? Also do I need to do ILETS for registration?? I am about to fill in my forms for that!!

Thanks

Jen x

Hey guys, can I clarify if I am going to Australia on a one year working visa to work and see if I like nursing in OZ do I need to fill in the ANMAC?? Also do I need to do ILETS for registration?? I am about to fill in my forms for that!!

Thanks

Jen x

You only need the skills assessment (ANMAC) for permanent residency and also the IELTS is only needed if you cannot prove to AHPRA that you have studied in English.

Could anybody advise me what I need exactly off the university I attended to prove I attended. I have only been qualified for just over a year so I am hoping it won't be too complicated. I only need this for my registration as I am only going to Australia ona working holiday visa.

Any advise would be great full. Many thanks

hi jeng25

You will need your university training transcripts for your registration. I would get onto this as soon as because it can take sometime to compile. The University can send it directly to AHPRA and it will be cheaper this way otherwise it would need to be notarised.

its not really that difficult yo get back on the nmc register. If you can prove you have done some nursing experience (which you will be doing in oz) then there shouldnt be a problem. i let my registartion laps twice for maternity leave, i know a bit different, but i still let it lapse twice and not a problem either times to re register. It does seem silly to have 2 registers going. Im going to let mine lapse here again when we move over to QLD.

good luck

Well Ive done it. Fially managed to find a notary that didnt want the debt of a small country to notarise my docs, and now they are all sent off to the Perth office of APHRA. phew. i hope ive got it right after all the stress and running around. :biggrin:

Also if the NMC only provide a transcript of training and i have already included that from my uni (Certified), do i have to spend more money to get the NMC transcript sent???:confused:

Guest ausnursingnet
Do I use the street address or mailing address when sending information to APRAH...might be a stupid question...but wanna get it right!!

thanks!,

Hi Jeng25,

You can send application to:

MAILING ADDRESS:

AHPRA

GPO Box 9958

Sydney

NSW 2001

Thanks.

Australian Nursing Network.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I have applied to AHPRA and have just been asked to provide more data.

They have asked for another employment reference - specifically a 'current nursing/midwifery professional reference' however I do not work in the NHS and work for the local authority and none of my managers are nurses or midwifes as we are a multi-disciplinary team within Childrens Services.

My employer has already provided a reference but is not a nurse or midwife.

Advice please!!!!!! :-/ I have a deadline to provide the data

Guest guest79615

Heard nothing from Ahpra and so i phoned them and they told me they need additional information, i should have phoned them earlier..or they should have let me know!

They are saying my academic transcript isn't detailed enough, i disputed this but she said all the information is there but it is not worded exactly how they like it in one small section! Grrrrrr! I thought i might have been one of the lucky ones and got through smoothly!

Took me ages to get the Uni to do the full transcript and now i need to try and get them to do a different one :( upside is they do it for free :) Also i now have an email address for an actual person at Ahpra which has been useful and quicker.

And got my offer of employment letter through and they say i have to start within 6 month of todays date, i'm worried i wont have everything done by then...theres so much!..ahpra, police checks, occ health, wwcc, ID, blablabla...feel sik! lol and i have to scan everything, i dont have a scanner, need to try do it on the sly at work ;) oz wont let me fax :( could have sneaked that one in easier at work, pretending to fax pharmacy...for 3 hours! ;)

I feel stressed now thinking that everything wont be done, but ive got my list and just need to get onto it! being holiday period isnt helpful either. breath.... :wacko:

Hi LornaG.

So frustrating. I had a similar situation as AHPRA were not satisfied with my transcript. I had to request the NMC to send a course transcript through on top of loads of other stuff my university had provided (but did not say exactly what they wanted!). If I were you, I would ask the NMC transcript department to send whatever they have specific to you and your training to AHPRA asap, just in case. They do take 30 days to process this request.

My experience was that once these things were in place, things moved a little quicker, as I too felt overwhelmed and that it would be impossible to get it all done to the anal requirements of AHPRA, but it happened despite AHPRA's terrible communication.

Good luck.

Im having a similar thing with APHRA, they have requested another reference from my employer as the one i sent wasnt comprehensive enough, took me ages to pin my manager down for that one now i need more and im on a deadline over xmas. Also NMC stuff hasnt arrived yet so they are asking for that and they want more evidence of my CPD, all of this to be posted and recieved by the 16th jan, or they will scrap my application. has anyone else had this experience, what happens if the stuff doesnt arrive by the 16th. this is all so stressful. help:chatterbox:

Heard nothing from Ahpra and so i phoned them and they told me they need additional information, i should have phoned them earlier..or they should have let me know!

They are saying my academic transcript isn't detailed enough, i disputed this but she said all the information is there but it is not worded exactly how they like it in one small section! Grrrrrr! I thought i might have been one of the lucky ones and got through smoothly!

Took me ages to get the Uni to do the full transcript and now i need to try and get them to do a different one :( upside is they do it for free :) Also i now have an email address for an actual person at Ahpra which has been useful and quicker.

And got my offer of employment letter through and they say i have to start within 6 month of todays date, i'm worried i wont have everything done by then...theres so much!..ahpra, police checks, occ health, wwcc, ID, blablabla...feel sik! lol and i have to scan everything, i dont have a scanner, need to try do it on the sly at work ;) oz wont let me fax :( could have sneaked that one in easier at work, pretending to fax pharmacy...for 3 hours! ;)

I feel stressed now thinking that everything wont be done, but ive got my list and just need to get onto it! being holiday period isnt helpful either. breath.... :wacko:

Hi try n not stress I was asked to provide full course outline as additional info as my transcript was not detailed enough even tho it had been fine for skill assessment anyway it was the last thing needed and about a week after acknowledging they had received it got the e mail confirming eligibility for registration so hopefully will be like that for you too

mem

Hi,

I have applied to AHPRA and have just been asked to provide more data.

They have asked for another employment reference - specifically a 'current nursing/midwifery professional reference' however I do not work in the NHS and work for the local authority and none of my managers are nurses or midwifes as we are a multi-disciplinary team within Childrens Services.

My employer has already provided a reference but is not a nurse or midwife.

Advice please!!!!!! :-/ I have a deadline to provide the data

Hi Shelz

are there any other nurses that you work with maybe in partner agencies? I had a similar situation to yours I work for a national charity and we are split into regional projects with me being the only nurse in my project with non clinical manager I originally asked ANMAC what to do as needed refs for skill assessment and they advised that if there was anyone clinical like doc or medical director that would be ok in conjunction with managers ref or if that not possible then a very detailed ref from manager setting out all aspects of my role and explaining that there was no other clinical person to do ref within the project. I managed to get one of the nurses from a different region to support the ref from manager and even though she did not directly manage or work with me it went through ok and I used the same refs for my AHPRA application and they never queried it

good luck

mem

Guest guest79615
Im having a similar thing with APHRA, they have requested another reference from my employer as the one i sent wasnt comprehensive enough, took me ages to pin my manager down for that one now i need more and im on a deadline over xmas. Also NMC stuff hasnt arrived yet so they are asking for that and they want more evidence of my CPD, all of this to be posted and recieved by the 16th jan, or they will scrap my application. has anyone else had this experience, what happens if the stuff doesnt arrive by the 16th. this is all so stressful. help:chatterbox:

The lady at ahpra who i was emailing, told me just to ask for an extra 30 days so i did straight away just in case! So now i have 60 days to get things together. She said most people ask for extra time and its fine as they know getting hold of paperwork isnt always easy x