frustations of oz life!

johnd

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm off back to the UK very soon, I have found a job in Derbyshire , so I'm off out of here followed by my family.

The Aussies are very pommy obsessed that's for sure and they do take every opportunity to verbally put down the English in particular...I do have s sense of humour but find a lot of Aussies very scathing about the Brits.

I know the UK is far from perfect at the moment but have to say I'm looking forward to my return.

I think the Aussies get free speech and rudeness confused, I know for a fact that the English are far less scathing towards the Aussies back in the UK and any humour just revolves around accents or at worst convicts ....all very mild really.

I did everything to fit in, eat with the Aussies,drink with the Aussies , dress like the Aussies but thats not enough for them , they want you to turn into some flag waving xenophobic "aussie aussie aussie" moron....

Over the top jingoistic crap, you can keep it .

I agree that some of the lesser educated Aussies can be tiresome. I also think the anti British sentiments are stronger in certain cities (and certain suburbs), having lived in the Eastern suburbs of Melbourne for a number of years I rarely experience any of that behaviour. Maybe just lucky

John

Please do not get me wrong,i am in no way asking you to F*#k off and i hope that my comments did not offend you in any way.I do understand that you are finding it hard as when i first arrived with my wife and 2 small children,my wife fought me tooth and nail not to live in Australia.I 'forced' her to move to Perth and she hated me for it.I left Crawley in Sussex with all the neighbours waving goodbye and my wife and children crying as they did not want to leave their grandparents,aunts,uncles and friends.My wife's mother even wished me dead to my face because i was taking her only daughter and grandchildren away.But after a year of being hated by my wife and Aussies telling her to F*#k off home because she missed so many relatives and friends and she was always miserable, she finally realised that Australia was better than what we ever had in the UK.(in our opinion) I left school at 15 and have no qualifications (as you can tell by the way that i have written this response and i am (still)a tradesman).I had made a promise to my wife at Gatwick airport that if after 2 years she was not happy then we would return to the UK.I have never doubted my decision to leave the UK and i know that our lives here now are far better than they ever were back there.My sons chronic asthma disappeared within weeks of arriving in Oz and he has never looked back.The hardest thing is missing relatives and friends,but with the right frame of mind you do make new friends who we have found in many cases have filled the gap left by not having our relatives around.We have 2 sets of friends who have recently migrated to Perth and we have gone out of our way to welcome them and give as much advice as possible and thankfully both families have settled in and love the country.I can only offer you the advice that i have offered them which is persevere for at least 2 years,make as many friends as you can,get a job that you enjoy (if possible) do not winge to Aussies,always take your own alcohol to barbies and party's and treat the first 2 years as a working holiday.Enjoy the weather and the country.Many of us have gone through what you are going through and at the end of the day i suppose that its down to who you are and your frame of mind.Not sure what part of Oz you are living in but WA is a great place to be and i would like nothing better than to buy you a beer if ever you are around this way.

Guest Trina Findlay
love the Coopers pale ale!

you are my new best friend, Kernow43!! Coopers Pale Ale is surely the finest beer in the world!!! Have you tried Little Creatures? Now THAT is a beer!!!:biggrin:

Guest Celtic.H.

I have read this post with great interest and the bits about Britain being not that great either. People seem to be confusing the UK with the overpacked expensive bit in the middle and south east. I come from Cornwall/Devon and these bits are the most beautiful parts of the UK, I also include all the bits of Wales Scotland and Ireland in there to, anything Celtic. These bits believe are worth going back for, I came here for work and now I want to go home to what I miss. I also get really annoyed about the age old comments about warm beer, some beers, we call them ales are not supposed to be served chilled, just like red wine (And I do know aussies who put it in the fridge unfortunately as I found out the other day). Why cant people just want to go home and that be that.

Guest mrTeddyEars

Hi all,

I am new to the site but have got a full working visa for Oz and thought I would just add some my thoughts and reasons why I cant wait to get out of the UK.

The UK is now turning in to a joke and a total toilet we are almost bankrupt and crippled by legislation that is in place to hinder descent hardworking people. We are over taxed and in a worse state than or great grandparents where after the war. I believe the debt levels we have are only eclipsed by a handful of 3rd world countries.

As for living in Oz (I am going to generalise a bit here) a lot of people I have spoken and met have never been to Oz or taken anytime to understand the culture. I am not saying that about you but getting a job at a steel works and joining a gym doesn’t sound like integrating to me. Have you actually tried to do anything for the local community or integrated yourself with the local outside of work.

You talk about England in a way that makes it sound like utopia I was at Liverpool Street train station when a misguided British citizen blew himself up killing 9 others.

Australia is a country that is younger than parts of my house so how can you possibly draw comparisons between the Oz culture and the UK. Again don’t forget if you did want to fly a union jack you now need planning permission from the council.

We see programs here in the UK showing Sun Sea and clean living. I know it’s possible in Oz and here is the shocker for most brits “YOU HAVE TO WORK FOR IT” its not £50K to buy a house in Oz by the beach those days are gone. It costs as much as the UK and it’s a real struggle like anywhere else and guess what yes you are an emigrant and foreigner in another land who has to adapt to the Oz way.

You pay the same taxes you deal with the same bulldroppings everyday from the same type of lazy idiots in Oz as in the UK. If you really want rude go work for an Chinese company like I do mobile phones in meetings are last thing you will worry about.

The reason I am going is because I want an outdoor life I hate the bleak winters, the constant rain and the massive number of people we have here in out little beautiful island.

So all I can say is come back to the UK enjoy yourself and leave that space open for me there.

But when you get back get ready for the government to keep putting its hands in your pocket for the next 20 years of your life to pay the debt this bunch of idiots we have in charge have run up.

Also make sure you smile as you are picked up on the endless CCTV cameras that can track you by face recognition as you move around the UK. Also don’t say anything to controversial on emails as parliament are about to pass a motion that will force ISP’s to log all calls you make, emails you send and websites you visit.

That’s what’s waiting for you when you come home so please we are all waiting for you

Guest sunseekers
Hi all,

I am new to the site but have got a full working visa for Oz and thought I would just add some my thoughts and reasons why I cant wait to get out of the UK.

The UK is now turning in to a joke and a total toilet we are almost bankrupt and crippled by legislation that is in place to hinder descent hardworking people. We are over taxed and in a worse state than or great grandparents where after the war. I believe the debt levels we have are only eclipsed by a handful of 3rd world countries.

As for living in Oz (I am going to generalise a bit here) a lot of people I have spoken and met have never been to Oz or taken anytime to understand the culture. I am not saying that about you but getting a job at a steel works and joining a gym doesn’t sound like integrating to me. Have you actually tried to do anything for the local community or integrated yourself with the local outside of work.

You talk about England in a way that makes it sound like utopia I was at Liverpool Street train station when a misguided British citizen blew himself up killing 9 others.

Australia is a country that is younger than parts of my house so how can you possibly draw comparisons between the Oz culture and the UK. Again don’t forget if you did want to fly a union jack you now need planning permission from the council.

We see programs here in the UK showing Sun Sea and clean living. I know it’s possible in Oz and here is the shocker for most brits “YOU HAVE TO WORK FOR IT” its not £50K to buy a house in Oz by the beach those days are gone. It costs as much as the UK and it’s a real struggle like anywhere else and guess what yes you are an emigrant and foreigner in another land who has to adapt to the Oz way.

You pay the same taxes you deal with the same bulldroppings everyday from the same type of lazy idiots in Oz as in the UK. If you really want rude go work for an Chinese company like I do mobile phones in meetings are last thing you will worry about.

The reason I am going is because I want an outdoor life I hate the bleak winters, the constant rain and the massive number of people we have here in out little beautiful island.

So all I can say is come back to the UK enjoy yourself and leave that space open for me there.

But when you get back get ready for the government to keep putting its hands in your pocket for the next 20 years of your life to pay the debt this bunch of idiots we have in charge have run up.

Also make sure you smile as you are picked up on the endless CCTV cameras that can track you by face recognition as you move around the UK. Also don’t say anything to controversial on emails as parliament are about to pass a motion that will force ISP’s to log all calls you make, emails you send and websites you visit.

That’s what’s waiting for you when you come home so please we are all waiting for you

My God...

If ever a name ( Teddyears ) did NOT fit a personality !!! Bravo Bravo Bravo x

Guest mrTeddyEars

Thank you for that but just 1 little point I didnt add is I am the son of an Immigrant mother and father who came to the UK in the 50’s and owe a lot to the UK for my education, health, wife and job but have made the choice like my mum did all those years ago to leave.

So I am going to do what it takes to fit in understand the culture and make a success of it.

//Off Soapbox Now//

To the OP -

It's funny but all the reasons you list for being unsettled in Oz, are exactly the same as the reasons I want to leave the UK.

It sounds to me like you are doing your best to fit in and make a go of it, and following your last post in this thread it sounds like you are prepared to do so for a few more years yet.

Good on you for trying and I hope whatever you decide that it works out for you.

I was OK with all the posts so far - but John (OP) - your last post does deserve a F**k off! You had your whinge, you got some good answers, now leave it at that and accept that you are probably better off in the UK, you do not need to seek approval here, and if you did not like the advice, then at least hold your peace and be happy. But if you could do that, you probably would not be going back to the UK. At any rate, good luck to you.

Guest proud2beaussie
People seem to be confusing the UK with the overpacked expensive bit in the middle and south east.

So those bits aren't part of the UK then?Lets be realistic here,there are some beautifull parts of the UK,with some stunning scenery and friendly people,just as there are stunning parts of Australia with friendly people.but that doesn't mean the whole of Australia is great,neither does it mean the whole of the UK is,there are good and bad points to both countries,the OP is thinking about going back to the UK,which is a shame because Australia is a great country,but if he isn't deliriously happy here he has a right to go back to the UK and be proud that he at least had a shot at it,

There's nothing wrong with having a go at issues of concern that occur in the workplace -

Aussie trades are no different to anywhere else. As you stated, you've segregated the "brown-nosers" mentioned your wife gets unpaid overtime. Take the bit in your teeth and make a formal complaint through the agencies set up for that.

And you won't - you'll whinge about it, but don't feel alone because I think you'll find there are a lot of Aussies in the same boat - that would like to take things further, possibly have a lot less to lose - seen as UN-Australian so they don't.

Sticking your neck out for a genuine reason will not make you enemies amongst Australians

I can understand your frustration, all I can offer is ride it out and make the trip worth it

I can't agree. I have never felt so excluded as during the time my husband worked in Scotland. On the surface friendly enough but not friendly enough to let an english woman join their circle.

I agree with some of what you say,there is a bit of hostility between some Scots towards the English,the years of English imperialism in the past may have something to do with that.

Not all Scottish people have that mentality though,thank god.

Hi John

that was a very honest post and I don't think anything that you wrote was unreasonable. sometimes the thing that is the hardest part of immigrating is that fact that it just isn't home you don't have that invisable connection and understanding to a new place and therefore all the little things soon add up to making life impossible as an australian living in the uk (I love the uk and been perfectly happy here) and we are probably better off financially here...the time has come and I just want to go home..to oz. It sounds as if you have made a really good go of it and am sorry that it hasn't been all you hoped..I have read alot of posts on here and I do worry that the expectations are very high and I am not sure that they can be acheived not sure any country can deliver the massive life change that is wanted..goodluck with what ever you decide do.

Guest MikeDawson
My God...

The weather is excellent in Australia , but I have been here nine years and the only way to really fit in is to become a big mouth Aussie and thats not for me.

You can go out with aussies, eat,drink,party,work but you and all other English people will always be looked down on you will always be just an oppressed pom...

I have met poms who pretend to be Aussies and I just find them embarassing , whats wrong with having English heritage and trying to blend in , no that doesn't work here they expect you to shuv an Aussie flag up you arse and sing waltzing matilda ...and bag anything or anyone British , If thats what you want then by all means you can take my place and three others , my wife and kids.

Britain isn't perfect and believe me Australia isn't either , I've been here nine years too long so I have first hand experience .

I have no wish to be a pommy basher , I too thought Aussies were nice people until I actually lived here (some are decent , my wife is Aussie) but most just hate anything English , they are almost taught this at school.:skeptical:

Guest proud2beaussie
but most just hate anything English

Gross generalisation,nothing more,nothing less,you conveniently ignore the fact that despite Australia being a multi cultural society a high percentage of Australians are of British origin and are only too happy to welcome new migrants with open arms,I am not saying that ALL Australians are friendly and welcoming,far from it,but I have lived and worked in every state and territory in this beautiful country and I have met people from many different countries and many different cultures and I have always got on well with them,in fact most of my true friends are either British or from another part of Europe,Australians are amongst the friendliest people in the world,and Australia is

a key destination for migrants from many countries.

Australia is far from perfect,but it's pretty good and I for one will defend it's reputation when it needs to be defended.

You are right though,when you say

then by all means you can take my place and three others , my wife and kids.

because there are plenty of people waiting in line to take your place,just look at PIO.

Good Luck in the UK.

Well Said John!Some Brits on these Oz sites are just deluding themselves,trying to convince themselves that all is fantastic,and the world is full of fluffy clouds.This is the same old shiit,but in a shiny bucket.Go on pomsinadelaide!Youll see what i mean!Stay honest to yourself mate,ATB William.:wubclub:

Guest 0405delboy

[quote name=MikeDawson;429161..

The weather is excellent in Australia ' date=' but I have been here nine years and the only way to really fit in is to become a big mouth Aussie and thats not for me.

You can go out with aussies, eat,drink,party,work but you and all other English people will always be looked down on you will always be just an oppressed pom...

I have met poms who pretend to be Aussies and I just find them embarassing , whats wrong with having English heritage and trying to blend in , no that doesn't work here they expect you to shuv an Aussie flag up you arse and sing waltzing matilda ...and bag anything or anyone British , If thats what you want then by all means you can take my place and three others , my wife and kids.

Britain isn't perfect and believe me Australia isn't either , I've been here nine years too long so I have first hand experience .

I have no wish to be a pommy basher , I too thought Aussies were nice people until I actually lived here (some are decent , my wife is Aussie) but most just hate anything English , they are almost taught this at school.:skeptical:

I'll second that! I can spot an accent very well and I too have been saddened by Brits denying their background even when they sound like Pam bloody Ayres LOL! What a disgrace! Spare a thought for the Yanks though, they get it in the neck here as well! :biglaugh:

wow what a thread !

But i think we come back to the same old ending,

Some love Oz, Some hate Oz, Some love the Uk , Some hate the Uk. We are all individual,what is great for one will be a nightmare for another.Thats life !

No-one is 'wrong' for disliking something, we all look for different things in life,different things make us happy .

As someone has previously stated the Uk varys from area to area, just like Australia does, so i can understand why some members who do enjoy their life (be it in the UK or Oz) get a bit cranky with the put downs which are normally a generalisation.

Parts of the UK suck just like some parts of Oz,

Parts of the Uk suffer more crime than others ,just like some parts of Oz,

Parts of the Uk are beautiful with fantastic scenery, just like some parts of Oz,

Some people in the Uk can be racist idiots, just like some parts of Oz

Some people in the Uk will bend over backwards to help you, just like some people in Oz.

You getting my drift ?

I havnt seen much racism in Oz and i havnt seen much crime. I have found the Australians to be great people (even if they have a different sense of humour) almost everyone i have met is polite, helpful and friendly, this doesnt mean there is no racism ,crime or prats here. Joe Bloggs in the next suburb may tell a completely different story, it doesn't mean i am lying or exagerating and it doesn't mean Joe Bloggs is either. We are human, individuals and each have different opinions, each originate from different backgrounds and each have somewhere different we are 'comparing' to. This doesnt make us right or wrong !

Everyone deserves to be happy regardless of which country they choose to live in.

Cal x

Guest snow white

hi cal,

fantastic post here here i say at the end of the day we are all here for different reasons we are all expecting or wanting different things out of our new lives whether it be here or anywhere in uk and god forbid it would be a boring world if we all thought, felt and wanted the same thing

lesley x

Guest Trina Findlay
Yes but why don,t they make it in 750 ml bottles

I'm on the next plane to Freo, to camp out on the doorstep of the brewery until they tell me why! In the meantime, I guess we could pour 2 bottles into a pint glass... if we can find a stubby holder big enough....

Guest Trina Findlay
My God...

The weather is excellent in Australia , but I have been here nine years and the only way to really fit in is to become a big mouth Aussie and thats not for me.

Hi Mike,

I know your experience is by no means rare, unforunately only too common.. however in my experience (and I am perhaps lucky in this respect) the Australians that I have met and who I now consider my friends respect the fact that I have not tried to fit in by becoming an Aussie... in fact from when I first arrived, all I have ever been is Me, proud to be British, but with respect for the Australian way of life.

I normally just laugh off the Whingeing Pom remarks, and find that those who are worth knowing realise that all they have to do is get to know me to find out that I'm not one.. and those that can't be bothered aren't worth the effort. Or perhaps I've just been lucky to meet the only enlightened Australians in Australia... :smile:

It's a terrible shame that you've met Brits who have tried to fit in by pretending to be Aussies - thank goodness I haven't experienced that. I can't think of anyone I'd rather avoid than someone who isn't true to themselves and who they are.

I don't really know what I'm trying to say here, except that I'm really and truly sorry that you've had such a negative experience in Oz. I'm not saying that mine has been perfect so far, of course not - I've had my moments too, and a lot of Australians do make remarks which leave me slack-jawed with wonder at their ignorance... but then again so do many Brits.. same old story... you get the good and the bad everywhere, nowhere's perfect, everywhere (and everyone) is different, etc etc etc etc.....

Guest proud2beaussie
but with respect for the Australian way of life.

I think that's the point,the only thing Australians ask for from new arrivals is that they respect the Australian way of doing things,nobody says you have to like it,but if you at least acknowledge that

as Australians we have a right to do things our way then nobody will bother arguing with you.

I have always tried to be welcoming to people from other countries and mostly the people I have met have been very friendly and we soon get along really well,but you occasionally come across someone who thinks that they know everything about everything and they won't listen to anything you say,and yeah,there are a few aussies like that too,but if you come to Australia with an open mind then generally you find that doors,and arms open up to you quite quickly.

Archived