frustations of oz life!

johnd

I was frustrated by the amount of racism I had to endure,not all the time directed at me or Brits,but to anyone who entered the Australians beloved country,It was truly revolting!

The early start times were also a right royal pain in the scroat!!:SLEEP:

But don't you get racism back in Scotland?

And starting early is great, can be on the beach at 1pm!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks for all the replies, its interesting how different people interpret a post even if you put in it,"in my opinion" & "i dont hate oz". people still seem to get agitated. if you read the last line of my post it states that i expected too much from oz and i really miss the friends and family in the uk. so the problem lies with me, i do have the big house, car etc, definatley a better home than i could expect in the uk....but.....it doesnt seem to amount to much when you dont have the people around. in time i may get to be as friendly with mates here,(if we stay), but as i have said it just isnt doing it for me.....i feel bored in paradise....if that makes me a t**t!, then so be it. where i came from in uk was no paradise......but maybe i just miss the s*#t!.

thanks again...i'll keep everyone informed.

Guest Trina Findlay

Hi John,

I do feel so sorry for you that you're having such a hard time... In the UK I worked for a big fashion retailer who treat their staff with absolutely no respect or recognition, expect them to work 10 hours+ a day without a break - though this was implicit and the staff council constantly tried to push line managers to give their teams a break - legally of course they stated that every staff member should have an hour's break and shouldn't work long hours, but of course they didn't pay overtime...

The culture was very much a case of Whose back can I climb over to get up the corporate ladder, with only a few exceptions.. constant backstabbing, and the company encouraged that by promoting those who spoke loudest, never mind what they were actually saying...

On the flip side, now I work for a small company who treat every member of staff with respect, and is focussed on being part of the community, and helping the environment. I get on well with every single person I work with. I haven't experienced a single instance of b*tching or back stabbing, and everyone will go out of their way to help everyone else. I feel so lucky, and I know it's not the norm... just saying that I feel that it's that large company mentality, same the world over - FROM MY EXPERIENCE!!:wink:

Guest proud2beaussie
thanks for all the replies, its interesting how different people interpret a post even if you put in it,"in my opinion" & "i dont hate oz". people still seem to get agitated. if you read the last line of my post it states that i expected too much from oz and i really miss the friends and family in the uk. so the problem lies with me, i do have the big house, car etc, definatley a better home than i could expect in the uk....but.....it doesnt seem to amount to much when you dont have the people around. in time i may get to be as friendly with mates here,(if we stay), but as i have said it just isnt doing it for me.....i feel bored in paradise....if that makes me a t**t!, then so be it. where i came from in uk was no paradise......but maybe i just miss the s*#t!.

thanks again...i'll keep everyone informed.

Hi John,

I found your post interesting,I don't agree with a lot of what you say but you are as entitled to your opinions as anybody else,I think it's a shame that Australia isn't all you hoped it would be but at least you gave it a shot which is more than what a lot of others do,so I congratulate you for that,I hope you will decide to stay ,but if you don't you will at least of had a chance to experience something of Australia,which I think is the greatest country in the world.

Good Luck with whatever you decide.

So much back and forth in this thread.

I have read the whole thread and I am amazed how people forget things so easily are adamant that Aus is backward, Aus is not backward, UK is the most wonderful place and so cultural.

Well I have lived in four countries and travelled widely and Aus does me but what ever floats your boat.

I often wonder about the people who are so adamant about places if they are just a little disappointed when they return to whichever side of the world they are going. After all why do we move in the first place, looking always looking never happy what a waste of time.

After these fires we have had this week no one can be certain of what the future holds, if you want to go to UK go and if you want to stay stay and really you do not need any of my or other views.

If I was returning to the UK I would just up sticks and go.:notworthy:

Interesting thread we should bear in mind that peoples experiences affect their views and you have family abroad that also comes into play whether you agree with some of the things posted or not it all boils down to experiences.

There are times that i have felt that Australia is backward and that health and safety is not taken seriously but there were a few similar cases i saw in England it is enforcing it which becomes a problem.

The long and short of it there will always be differences and personal experiences,expectations,family,careers and a lot of things will come to play and its choosing whats best for you that matters .Good Luck in whatever decision you make.

Guest mutikonka

Maybe it's a different experience for different industries. A lot of those observations sound familiar, so I count myself lucky to be working in an industry (publishing) and in a workplace that I find compares favourably to the UK.

The positive things I find about the Australian workplace compared to the UK include the informality and lack of hierarchy ... not so much of the 'them and us' attitude. Contrary to the original poster, I find that my workmates don't 'live to work', although most of us have mortgages to pay off, yet we enjoy a good social life too and there's less of the clockwatching and look-busy-the boss-is-coming that I had to put up with in London.

In some ways Australia is behind the UK and Europe - but so what ... not so long ago I was being told that the banking system here is way behind that of the UK and US.

On balance, I reckon the bad things about my work here are offset by the much better lifestyle and opportunities for our kids.

I've found this an interesting thread. When we first moved to Australia I used to think of it as somewhat behind the UK, not third world but not quite first world either. Part of that I'm sure is the size of the population to the size of the continent. Some things are just not possible because of geography. Some things are not finacially viable because of distance. And somethings I always really appreciated being 'behing behind the times'. Things that were done the way they always had been because that was a good way, so why change it?

When we came back to the UK 10 years ago now we had exactly the same reaction! This is behind Australia. Why on earth are they doing it that way? We still whinge about a lot of things here. My husband is especially miserable about working practices in the UK.

My conclusion from my own experience is that Uk and Australia are just different. They face different problems and have different solutions, they have different priorities. There is more than one way to skin a cat! For example, look at the sums of money, the logistics, everything involved right now in dealing with the bushfires and the flooding. The UK does not have the same issues.

But you know what I love about Australia? It's summed up in one woman making, yes that's making, playdough at 5am I think it was, for the kids affected by the bushfires in Victoria. Here we might go buy playdough in small tubs and it would cost a small fortune that could have been used for something else. In Oz you make playdough (it was often my job when I helped out at preschool!, and I made it instead of buying it for my kids). That either makes sense to you or it doesn't. But I want to live in a country where people still cook up their own playdough. It might seem 'backward', and it might seem old fashioned, but I think it is resourceful and responsible. it uses effort instead of just money. Those are the sorts of priorities I value.

Deb

But don't you get racism back in Scotland?

And starting early is great, can be on the beach at 1pm!

Not in the circles I keep,but over there It's in the workplace,social life the lot,It's unavoidable.We, the Scottish overall are more tolerant of other races in my experience.

I can go to the beach too every day if I want,then visit a nice warm friendly pub with a great atmosphere and good food and ale,something Australia lacks!

Not in the circles I keep,but over there It's in the workplace,social life the lot,It's unavoidable.We, the Scottish overall are more tolerant of other races in my experience.

I can go to the beach too every day if I want,then visit a nice warm friendly pub with a great atmosphere and good food and ale,something Australia lacks!

I think you would be the only one on the beach this time of year, and yes Australia does have good pub food, many UK visitors comment on the food in pubs here for price variety & quality, they say it makes a difference to jacket potatoes in Brit pubs.

Bye just going to the beach late today 7.30 am!

Guest kevin747
I think you would be the only one on the beach this time of year, and yes Australia does have good pub food, many UK visitors comment on the food in pubs here for price variety & quality, they say it makes a difference to jacket potatoes in Brit pubs.

Bye just going to the beach late today 7.30 am!

When do the box jellyfish visit?

Guest proud2beaussie
I can go to the beach too every day if I want,then visit a nice warm friendly pub

You would need a warm pub too,if you went on a Scottish beach at this time of year !

still at least the beer would warm you up.,which is more than you can say for the food,cold baked beans on cold jacket potato.,that's what was on the menu in every pub I went to in London last year.that's why I bought three restaurants over there,to give the good people of London some real food.

You would need a warm pub too,if you went on a Scottish beach at this time of year !

still at least the beer would warm you up.,which is more than you can say for the food,cold baked beans on cold jacket potato.,that's what was on the menu in every pub I went to in London last year.that's why I bought three restaurants over there,to give the good people of London some real food.

Have rellies here at the moment and they can,t get over how superior the pub food is here, in quality and price, they are a bit like the japanese on holidays in that they can,t get over the steaks we have here, and they can still have a british beer if they want but prefer to try the local stuff, love the Coopers pale ale!

Guest BrisbaneReturners

the problem is not 'Australia' nor is it the return to the 'UK'.. the problem is with you. Personally I was moved to oz in the mid 80's with my parents when they moved over.. I was never settled.. I moved back over in my late teens,.. then back again.. then did a lot of traveling.. married an Irish man in oz and we moved to Ireland. I felt really good to be back near 'home' but to be honest.. the problem is not the weather, the people, the lifestyle, the attitude.. most of these things are good/bad in most places in the world.. the problem is WHY.. why do you feel life would be better for you in the UK. If you can figure out 'why' then you'll save yourself a lot of heart ache and money.

Myself I realised that family was more important than where I lived. I had 2 young children (another on the way) and had no family support from my husband's Irish family. My family missed us terribly and that was the thing that tipped us over the edge.. we moved back from Ireland in May last year and have not regretted it since. Since we got back we have family support 24/7, I have friends near, lovely shops, a lovely home.. husband has a great job.. all round we are happier and financially better of - most likely because we have some family support for once! if my family all lived back in the UK I imagine we would be near them there.. by all means go with your heart - if you have to move back to see what you missed do so of course.. but really think about what you are looking for.. some people never 'settle' anywhere.. it's very sad.

I can't agree. I have never felt so excluded as during the time my husband worked in Scotland. On the surface friendly enough but not friendly enough to let an english woman join their circle.

16 years ago i left the UK and moved to WA for a better life for my family.I have met many people from the UK who found that they did not like Oz and decided to return home.Good luck to them.Oz is not perfect but in my opinion it has more to offer than the UK.I returned to the UK 6 years ago to visit family and friends in London and surrey (who all told me that i was a lot better off in Oz!) and vowed that i would never visit there again.But that is my decision and good luck to anyone that gives Oz a fair go.If it does not work out then go home,its not rocket science.If you do not like the work practices where you are working then change jobs.If watching the footie and warm beer is what you need then you should not have moved here in the first place.Surely its obvious that you are going to miss family and friends. Some people just can not settle into the Australian way of life,but I take my hat off to them that have tried.

ive had my say and i shall not comment further on the issue. apart from this, i thought the idea of this forum was information and support for all those interested in emigrating . i posted my opinions of life in oz, ( i agree i did whinge somewhat ), i didnt insult oz or put it down as a place to live, i simply stated what i had found in my job/social circle and that i missed the people in the uk and not neccesarily the place.

what i find interesting is along with the positive replies , ie, agreement or empathy, you get ones that seem to come from old fashioned headmaster types, (its not rocket science!!!!), for gods sake i didnt say it was!!!!, these posts seem to be telling me well if you dont like f*#K off!, which is all well and good on the back of an aussie ute and probably quite right in its instruction. but this is supposed to be a site were people can speak their minds without being spoken down to. but i suppose the high and mighty types are the ones who step off the plane and love every inch of oz from the word go.....well good luck to you.....i wish i was like that.

in the end i probably will stay at least for the next couple of years, it will be hard for me and my wife but we'll pull through.

it is actually rocket science....probably worse than that.....carting all your possesions + loved ones and pets half way round the world......but then again i am only a tradesmen....not an educated type......thats all.

Guest eartrumpet
All that is in your opinion, In my opinion you will be better off back in Scotland.

I thinks it's a bit rich for the Brits to call Australians racist. I have just returned to Australia after living in the UK for 20 years and I was often appalled by the racism and general bigotry, particularly homophobia I encountered there. After all Australia doesn't have a popular, organised neo nazi party like the BNP who actually win and control council seats.

Guest mustshop75

Have you considered somewhere else in Oz instead of going back to the UK? I live in WA, from what I understand from some friends that moved here from over East - it is much more laidback here and less of a 'rat race' than some parts of Oz.

Have you been to Perth before? :cool:

Guest 0405delboy
I thinks it's a bit rich for the Brits to call Australians racist. I have just returned to Australia after living in the UK for 20 years and I was often appalled by the racism and general bigotry, particularly homophobia I encountered there. After all Australia doesn't have a popular, organised neo nazi party like the BNP who actually win and control council seats.

BNP are neo nazis???? :wideeyed:

Fascist propaganda!!!!! :biglaugh:

Guest MikeDawson

I'm off back to the UK very soon, I have found a job in Derbyshire , so I'm off out of here followed by my family.

The Aussies are very pommy obsessed that's for sure and they do take every opportunity to verbally put down the English in particular...I do have s sense of humour but find a lot of Aussies very scathing about the Brits.

I know the UK is far from perfect at the moment but have to say I'm looking forward to my return.

I think the Aussies get free speech and rudeness confused, I know for a fact that the English are far less scathing towards the Aussies back in the UK and any humour just revolves around accents or at worst convicts ....all very mild really.

I did everything to fit in, eat with the Aussies,drink with the Aussies , dress like the Aussies but thats not enough for them , they want you to turn into some flag waving xenophobic "aussie aussie aussie" moron....

Over the top jingoistic crap, you can keep it .

Guest proud2beaussie
they want you to turn into some flag waving xenophobic "aussie aussie aussie"

Sounds like the barmy army only with different words.

Guest eartrumpet
BNP are neo nazis???? :wideeyed:

Fascist propaganda!!!!! :biglaugh:

What would you describe them as ? eccentric conservatives ?

Archived