frustations of oz life!

johnd

Guest lovediving
VERY LONG POST ALERT!,hi all, i am thinking of returning back to the uk. i am and have been unsettled since coming here nearly 2 years ago. i had lived in oz in the early 90's and felt that i hadnt given it a "fair go", as the aussies say, so it was my idea to come here my wife had never been to oz before.

she is keener than me to stay as she reckons that nothing is happening in the uk and there is so much to see in our part of oz. fair point, but having been here a while, (we both intend getting citizenship as this was part of plan/aiming point), i just think oz is ok but i sometimes just dont get it. i had always thought of coming back and i knew the types of things which you should and shouldnt do, i.e. we both got jobs quickly, moved into a nice house in a nice area, and i joined a local sports club last year to make friends, so far so good. i also have family here who we get on well with.

but heres the bit which will get up peoples noses, ( i am going to 'whinge' ), i work in the steel industry and my wife is in managment, ( retail ),and i know you shouldnt generalise but we have both found that at work aussies can be very unproffesional in their attitude, and in my job bordering on immature. an example in my job, in a meeting in a uk workplace the vast majority of people turn off their mobile phones, in oz i think they turn them on!. safety wise in the engineering environment i work in, and i am employed for a big well known oz company, the safety is a joke, they are talking the talk but not walking the walk. i have never felt more unsafe unsure of myself in the workplace in my life , this is purely down to the saftey attitude of the management.

further more aussies are obsessed with "paying of my home loan" and "getting ahead" and "i have a wife and kids to support", combine this with other sayings such as," i'm a hard worker" makes them almost american in thier attitude to the workplace, and usually the one telling you how hard he works is a lazy git!, ( i have found that in uk people dont go on as much like this and i have worked in the same environment all my life)

i have never ever met before a bunch of people who seem more scared of losing their jobs in my life, ( and this is pre-credit crunch ), back stabbing and brown nosing are common events, the aussies also work ridiculous amounts of overtime, or in my wifes case unpiad overtime, she is just expected to do it.

the infastructure in this part of nsw is a joke, roads are crap , public transport unsafe and unreliable, local governments are corrupt and everyone seems to be happy living in the 1980's?, ( remember everyone who emigrates to oz thinks its great that oz is 10-20 years behind the uk.....till you get here ), laid back = can't be arsed and aussies can be as rude and ignorant as brits.

now remember before you all want to kill me this is just my opinion, and it is from someone who has a lot of aussie born relatives, ( whom i like a lot ),and also from someone who joined the workplace ASAP and joined up with a local club so its not as if i havnt tried, ( in fact i do not have any pommie mates here only oz ones, and they are good blokes , just different from me).

i feel the problem with oz is that when i lived here in 91-92 the wages and conditions were above uk, for my line of work anyway, paid hols & sickies, but now probably cos of the eu , the uk has had to toe the line with hols etc, which i believe go up to 5 weeks in the uk soon. my fellow workers here cannot believe i got 5 and a half weeks leave in my uk job when we only get 4 in oz. so now oz is trailling behind not only in conditions but infrastructure etc. if a road/railway/development needs building the state gov argue with the federal gov about who should pay and nothing gets done. in certain aspects oz is as far as 30 years behind uk/europe.

it has made me realise that uk has its problems but it wasnt that bad, i have a good life here but it is without my immediate family and lifelong friends , and i miss them all dearly. i think i will make a decision by years end and it will prob be uk for us. its not that i hate oz and love uk i just think i maybe expected too much from oz and now i have realised how important the people are we have left behind.

thats all.

Totally agree with you, and so many others do too, who wants to be a loud mouthed ozzie anyway.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote name=MikeDawson;429161

The weather is excellent in Australia ' date=' but I have been here nine years and the only way to really fit in is to become a big mouth Aussie and thats not for me.

You can go out with aussies, eat,drink,party,work but you and all other English people will always be looked down on you will always be just an oppressed pom...

I have met poms who pretend to be Aussies and I just find them embarassing , whats wrong with having English heritage and trying to blend in , no that doesn't work here they expect you to shuv an Aussie flag up you arse and sing waltzing matilda ...and bag anything or anyone British , If thats what you want then by all means you can take my place and three others , my wife and kids.

Britain isn't perfect and believe me Australia isn't either , I've been here nine years too long so I have first hand experience .

I have no wish to be a pommy basher , I too thought Aussies were nice people until I actually lived here (some are decent , my wife is Aussie) but most just hate anything English , they are almost taught this at school.:skeptical:

Absolutely spot on,the Aussies have a fear of pommies in my opinion.

They realise their country is no where near as good as ours.

Guest sunseekers

How has this thread got a quote written on it by me that i never said, ever ?

Im half way through cooking chilli con carne and pressed update to find iv got a wife and have been in oz for 9 yrs.....im confused.com.

Any moderators out there please. Cany say i share the opinions of what im saying so much either........help

colette x

Mod Comment - Sunseekers someone miss quoted your 'my God' statement and joined it to Mike Dawson's post, i have managed to edit the posts so they read correctly.

Cal x

How has this thread got a quote written on it by me that i never said, ever ?

Im half way through cooking chilli con carne and pressed update to find iv got a wife and have been in oz for 9 yrs.....im confused.com.

Any moderators out there please. Cany say i share the opinions of what im saying so much either........help

colette x

You dirty little ticket colette,swinging both ways eh!:biglaugh:

Guest sunseekers
You dirty little ticket colette,swinging both ways eh!

Pablo...................Iv been outed :Randy-git: the shame of it :biglaugh:... and Sue, chilli is stuck to the frigin pan now cos iv been trying to cook, look after little n drink me wine and read my own posts i never wrote if you catch me drift....my god im headin for a melt down....needed the giggle though x x x

Pablo...................Iv been outed :Randy-git: the shame of it ... and Sue, chilli is stuck to the frigin pan now cos iv been trying to cook, look after little n drink me wine and read my own posts i never wrote if you catch me drift....my god im headin for a melt down....needed the giggle though x x x

Lol, i noticed it meself before and was laffing me ead off imagining your face when you seen it!:huh:you look so innocent as well!lmao

Guest sunseekers

Tell you what my face must have been a picture:shocked: !! and Pablo i was pure as the driven snow till i met Sue ! Ever seen Rita Sue and Bob too.......Enough said...mucky lady ha ha ha ...

Good job i know ya can take it Sue x x:biglaugh:

Tell you what my face must have been a picture !! and Pablo i was pure as the driven snow till i met Sue ! Ever seen Rita Sue and Bob too.......Enough said...mucky lady ha ha ha ...

Good job i know ya can take it Sue x x:biglaugh:

It doesnt suprise me with sue tbh,i lived in the midlands,walsall for a year when i was working in sandwell,met a few sorts down there,donner kebab and your sorted:wink:

Look... I've told you before I wear Laura Ashley flowery print dresses, yes, I like a bit of spicey mediterranean every now and again, but who doesn't?

Sue x

And those orrible american dark tan tights?!!!!lol should have a thread on things you'd ban:idea:, me? tights! f####n hate them!and corrie,all those manchester accents....arrrrrghhh:tongue:

I think that Oz is so big that you can have a very different experience depending on which state you end up in ie Mel is left wing and up the workers and unions not to mention football and featre [but maybe avoid the bush.....] Syd is more mixed and brash and glam -more extremes of income and more contours than Mel Perth is slower and kids grow up a tad less quickly but the men and dogs are snappy Adelaide is prim and hardworking with good arts I do not have a good handle on any other towns but I get the impression that Qland is a bit beverley hillbillies with money I would not live in the countryside as it is so different to UK countryside

Guest guest22466

I have read through many of the posts about returning back to the UK. I feel that everyone when they come to live in Australia experiences different situations and therefore I can relate to everyone. As I am in a situation where I would love to return to live back home to the UK but it would mean me having to leave my son behind which I could not do. However I live between wanting to be at home in the UK with family and friends and trying to make a life for me and my son on my own here in Australia. My husband and I seperated (due to issues I will not go into) not long after we got to Australia and that was it I was living here wether I liked it or not. I still get lonely and homesick but at the same time need to be strong on my own for my son. Yes I have met friends and yes I do work and I think Australia is a beautiful country but its just not the same as home with the network the love ,help and support when you need it. If I had to go into hospital who would look after my son for me .If you look up the hague convention law that will advise you that the children have to remian in the country of residence which is Australia. As immigration do not mention this in the papers most people assume you have the right to just take their children back home to their birthplace. Its amazing how many people will say wow I never knew that then some will say will of course thats what will happen if both parents dont agree to return home together.....so just would like to advise families of this. In the meantime I wish everyone the best life ever regardless of where you live xxx

Guest Trina Findlay
I think that Oz is so big that you can have a very different experience depending on which state you end up in ie Mel is left wing and up the workers and unions not to mention football and featre [but maybe avoid the bush.....] Syd is more mixed and brash and glam -more extremes of income and more contours than Mel Perth is slower and kids grow up a tad less quickly but the men and dogs are snappy Adelaide is prim and hardworking with good arts I do not have a good handle on any other towns but I get the impression that Qland is a bit beverley hillbillies with money I would not live in the countryside as it is so different to UK countryside

Nothing like a good dose of over-generalisation Anly! :laugh:

Archived