At Least 14 Dead In Victorian Bushfires

Guest proud2beaussie

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ClaireCarm

Hi Deb62....I hope your family are safe....how awful.

I've been watching this on Sky News ...Prime Minister Rudd was on the verge of tears during his interview earlier. Apparently two people have been arrested for arson.

Hi Claire;

I spoke to my daughter a few minutes ago and it looks as if the fire has skirted Beechworth finally. That means of course it is heading towards other communities though.

I too saw Rudd on the news. He seems a really genuine bloke. Don't know a whole lot about him, but everything I have heard seems really good. Usually don't have much time for politicians, but he seems okay.

Deb

Guest treesea

For anyone wanting to follow this online, the local radio in Melbourne are live streaming. Pretty harrowing listening at times, but at least it's better knowing than imagining. www.abc.net.au, then put postcode 3000 into local radio and choose Melbourne Vic at the next screen. Then Windows or Real (Real Player, if you use it) to start the audio stream.

Deb, so glad to hear that Beechworth may be in the clear - I know Yakandanda is in the line, or was a little while ago. The Beechworth mayor was on the radio about an hour ago and the town meeting gave folks the information and to judge for themselves if they wanted to stay or go. I hope that people are making the sensible decisions. Good thoughts for your folks

Guest Trina Findlay

All my heartfelt love and support to everyone - this whole tragedy has reached out and affected so many people and communities, it's made me feel very humble and incredibly emotional. My love to you all, including anyone living in the affected areas, anyone with family and loved ones in the affected areas, members of the CFA, aid workers, Blood Bank, charities, businesses who are rallying round to donate money and time to HELP, at a time when we are all feeling so helpless and desperate to do whatever we can.

Makes me value and treasure even more, if that's possible, all of my family and friends, both here and across the world.

:hug:

Guest proud2beaussie
it really is terrible!! 130 dead now can't imagine what they must have gone through.

Reports are that the death toll will reach 250.

Horrifying.

The images we're seeing on television are horrific, as are some of the first-hand stories coming out. My thoughts are with the people down in Victoria.

If there can be a good side to something like this, it's the way Australians, both private citizens and at the government level, rally round and help each other. I had a glimpse of this when the pre-Christmas storms hit the Gap in Brisbane but this much bigger disaster is getting a bigger response.

Fire crews from all over Australia are converging on Victoria. People everywhere are contributing goods, money and moral support. The Prime Minister and the State Premier were both on-site the morning after it became obvious there were deaths and the commitment of aid was made on the spot. I believe the first request was for help from the military--and that was actioned immediately.

This is nothing more than should happen of course...but look at events elsewhere in the world like Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans...or even the wrangling and argument about who is responsible for the recent "snow days" in the UK. The spirit of help and cooperation certainly isn't universal...but it's great to see it still exists in Australia.

Anybody wishing to make a donation can do so via the Red Cross: Australian Red Cross

Bob

The latest update is that there are now 66 confirmed deaths in what will turn out to be the blackest day in the states history.Whole towns have been wiped off the map,roads are littered with burnt out cars,some of which had crashed and people had been burnt to death in them.

This is the worst day in my life,although I have not lost anyone this is soul desroying,and to think some of these fires were deliberately lit,let me catch the b******s who lit them.

The state of Victoria will take ages to recover from this.

Latest news is that Healsville is under a threat.

Warning bushfires could flare again with strong winds forecast | Herald Sun

Thanks Nigel for the link. It's fantastic to hear the stories of those who got out alive in all the misey. And it helps me understand why it's so difficult to know whether to stay or go.

Deb

Guest Trina Findlay
If there can be a good side to something like this, it's the way Australians, both private citizens and at the government level, rally round and help each other...... The spirit of help and cooperation certainly isn't universal...but it's great to see it still exists in Australia.

Bob

Maybe one lesson we can all learn from this tragedy is that it shouldn't take something like this to bring us all together. We should be able to dig deep (not just financially, but emotionally too) to help our Brothers and Sisters however we can, even it's just by opening our hearts to them, all the time, at any time.. imagine what a wonderful place the world would be if we all reached out to each other like this all the time, and not just in a time of crisis!!

:hug:

Guest proud2beaussie

From-http://news.ninemsn.com.au

Victorian Premier John Brumby says the death toll from the bushfires will rise well beyond 200 and the coroner had conceded as much.

"There's still a large number of people - in excess of 50 - who are unconfirmed and essentially these are people who the coroner believes are already deceased, but are not yet identified," he told reporters in Mudgegonga on Tuesday.

(MAP: Where the fires struck)

"When you see these areas from the air it's just a sickening feeling, particularly Kinglake and Marysville ... there's just hundreds and hundreds of houses completely obliterated so the toll will continue to rise."

(Watch more: Hundreds of Kinglake residents queue to get home)

The official death toll now stands at 181.

Victorian police say they are closing in on a suspected arsonist they believe lit one of the massive fires.

Crime Department Assistant Commissioner Dannye Moloney is close to releasing a photofit of a suspected arsonist operating in the Churchill area in Gippsland just days before last Saturday's inferno.

"There are suspicious fires out there," Mr Moloney said.

"The Churchill fires, as far as we can conclude at this stage, must be considered as suspicious and that is being investigated as we speak.

"All the other fire sites are obviously slowly but surely being investigated by our arson experts and as the reports come in and as they go through their scientific examinations, we will establish the causes of what happened out there last Saturday and Sunday."

The Churchill Jeeralang fire has so far ravaged 40,000ha. It has a 130km perimeter.

Twenty-one people have so far been found dead in the ruins of the Gippsland inferno.

Have you been affected by these devastating fires? Send us your stories and photos

Police Chief Commissioner Christine Nixon expects the death toll to continue rising as fires are contained, allowing police and emergency workers to move in.

"It's a very sad thing for all of us and our communities that so many people have lost their lives, but we believe that, towards the end of the weekend, the toll will settle in terms of the numbers," Ms Nixon said.

A temporary morgue has been set up at Victoria's State Coronial Services Centre to accommodate the mounting toll of victims.

So far, 101 victims had been received into the facility.

The Country Fire Authority (CFA) has defended its firefighters and the "stay and defend" policy.

CFA chief fire officer Russell Rees said the policy, under which homeowners remain on their property to protect it from fire, was based on sound evidence.

"It is the application of that policy and a lack of an alternative that we need to work on," Mr Rees told reporters.

"People need to understand that a late departure is the most deadly.

"We have said, and it is clearly evident, that fires can come without warning and very rapidly, and that you may not receive a warning and that you may not have a fire truck at your front gate."

He said emergency services had warned last week that Victoria was facing a threat unprecedented in its history.

"The fire service planned for this day - their planning was meticulous and detailed - it was a thorough plan put into place with efficiency and effectiveness, but the fires, as you all know, were enormous," Mr Rees said.

"Our emergency services worked well together and I am enormously proud of their efforts - they did everything possible they could in the circumstances but they are ready, and stand ready, to learn and further improve.

"Our people can hold their heads up high and I ask you to help them to do that."

*Donate to the Red Cross Bushfire Appeal here, or call them on 1800 811 700

*You can call the Victorian Bushfire Information Line on freecall 1800 240 667

Related links:

I've a friend in Victoria. I hope she's ok, however I am unsure where she lives in Victoria.

Victoria is a large place about the same size as the UK, the bushfires are in the mountains east of Melbounre, Most people in Victoria are'nt directly in danger from them.

Guest proud2beaussie

In shock,have just found out that an acquaintance (Business Client) has lost his son,daughter in law and three grandchildren in the fires.

I don't know what to say,I'm speechless,and distraught,even though he wasn't a close friend.

Guest proud2beaussie

Latest from www.ninemsn.com

Looting "vultures" have reportedly broken into the home of a father killed in the bushfires and tried to steal his few remaining possessions.

Paul Lackas has accused a number of intruders of tampering with the shed of his deceased brother Steve Lackas, who lived in Heathcote Junction.

"They are vultures," the Herald Sun reported Mr Lackas as saying.

"They've already attempted to get into the shed.

"There (are) a lot of young, suspicious people going past ... I don't understand [them]."

His claims were backed up by a close friend who says he was forced to rescue valuables from the fire-ravaged home on Monday after Mr Lackas' body was removed. (Read more: Death toll 'will top 200')

Bruce Campbell said he moved a boat and other valuables from the property after finding a suspicious Holden Commodore with a trailer in the area.

He also claimed unknown persons had used a tool to break into a shed.

Steve Lackas, 37, was a speedboat racer who had worn a fire retardant suit in an attempt to beat the raging inferno.

His wife and seven-year-old son Bailey fled the property, but Mr Lackas he died trying to save the family's horses.

Archived