457 visa do we have to pay for schooling

Guest kellym28

Guest kellym28

if we went over on a 457 sponsured visa do we have to pay for medicare and school fees, any info would be gratefull many thanks

kelly:yes:

Guest jpr parker

hiya we are going for the 457 and from what i have read your children are allowed into schools just like the uk,i think some parts of N S W charge though,also you will need private med insurance,i just keep reading stuff on here to find out things it feels like we will be moving out of our safety blanket but im sure its gonna be ok.

Guest WARDStoOZ

Hi! I too think you need private health insurance and the school fees depend on the state/territory e.g. in Queensland you do not need to pay state school fees on a 457.

Hope that helps!

Dan xx

As the others have said, it all depends on the state. You will pay school fees in NSW and ACT although ACT will waive fees (at the moment) if your occupation is one of the highly desired ones. You will need private medical as part of your visa agreement - your sponsor is technically responsible for any medical costs and they may build private health insurance into your agreement if you ask them nicely.

As temporary residents you may also be able to negotiate with your employer for the Living Away From Home Allowance (LAFHA) which would be to your advantage.

we have just arrived on a 457 in victoria. our 15 year old gets 'free' education but we paid $400+ for his extras and $200+ for his books and stationary from a list they provide. the older they get the more you pay -some subjects cost more than others. oh and then the uniform!

basic health care ( basically emergencies) is on a free reciprocal basis for uk citizens. ambulance cover is not free. we are busy trying to find the best company and there is a 2 month waiting period. so we are a bit remiss on that score. looks like that would cost about $80. we are going to get our medicare cards tomorrow. we are still thinking about getting private health care but it could cost $4000+ for full family cover. not sure about maternity stuff - i'm past all that!

we have just arrived on a 457 in victoria. our 15 year old gets 'free' education but we paid $400+ for his extras and $200+ for his books and stationary from a list they provide. the older they get the more you pay -some subjects cost more than others. oh and then the uniform!

basic health care ( basically emergencies) is on a free reciprocal basis for uk citizens. ambulance cover is not free. we are busy trying to find the best company and there is a 2 month waiting period. so we are a bit remiss on that score. looks like that would cost about $80. we are going to get our medicare cards tomorrow. we are still thinking about getting private health care but it could cost $4000+ for full family cover. not sure about maternity stuff - i'm past all that!

Try aushealth I think its called ,they are fairly competitive , a lot of the usual companies either dont offer to 457s or if they do , they are expensive , friends of ours had cover initially on 457 $350 pm for acouple ,same cover when they had pr $130 pm

Mally

• 2 weeks later...
Guest welshmum

we have a 457 sub class visa and are living in Queenland. We were told by the powers that be when we arrived that a school could charge a fee if they wished. So fare the children have not been charged, but I applied to the local college and was told, because of my visa I had to pay nearly $500 per unit to attend a course that would only be $48 per unit for an Australian.

Archived