is the recession effecting queensland

hogan

:skeptical:Hi everyone

Just waiting for our visa's, but were wondering if there is a recession in queensland, my husband is a bricklayer and just wondered what the work situation is like at the moment, we were going to brisbane if that helps.:smile:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just waiting for our visa's, but were wondering if there is a recession in queensland, my husband is a bricklayer and just wondered what the work situation is like at the moment, we were going to brisbane if that helps.:smile:

just wanted to say hi and welcome to pio,cant help with the bricklaying side but iam a carpenter and is returning home after 5 months with no work,things have got a lot tighter and jobs are few and far apart,yes there is a recession i would do your homework before coming out,has your husband still got a job in the uk if he has i would recomend staying with it until things pick back up

thats not the best news I've heard, we are going to Brisbane on my job as a nurse, my hubby will have to find something when we get there, at the moment he is working as a tug driver at our local docks and was hopeing for something similar though he can turn his hand to just about anything. He did run his own computer repair business untill last year when his business partner had to pull out of the business. So hopefully he will find something to do.

Guest brooksey

If you have a job in Uk i would deff stay put and see what happens for a while as no brickie jobs advertised in papers for a while.

Hi this is one of the reasons we are opting to stay on the 175 visa rather than swopping to 176, ok it may take a lot longer, but hopefully by the time we get our visa's things will have improved, in the uk and oz, No point in rushing just to sell house at a loss and go to oz with no money and no job, Sit tight while you are safer,

Guest ashmalog

not looking at queensland - melbourne for us. is it that bad? can't be as bad as the UK. lucky i'm a nurse - always need them hey. still waiting to come over - would look at a loss on the house if it mean't not losing it altogether in the UK.

I have heard that there are a lot more jobs in Queensland than there is in Perth, where we are wanting to move. Husband is a bricklayer too and we are having to put the big move on hold until the job situation picks up there, he has been told he has work here in the UK for 12 months so would be silly to give that security up for now. Good luck with your search for employment in Brisbane.

Guest earlswood
thanks every one, do you be skint and cold or skint and hot?

This depends hogan, you cannot get benifits I belive untill you have been in Oz for 2 years...you will get some benifits here if you get desperate.....this recession which is worldwide will last 18 monts at most so the experts are spouting, if you can survive over there and have a job lined up I would go....if you have no job lined up I would stay in the UK for a while as jobs in Oz pick up which they will do I am sure in 12 months or so.

Guest JoanneHattersley

WHya re we all saying stay put? Dont leave? I dont think that we should be putting people off coming to Oz simply due to the recession. After all I think the recession will hit the UK worse than here. Many people have been looking fwd to and planning to emigrate for years. If they put it off now they might never do it.

The question is...Is there ever a right time? Can you ever afford it??? The answer is no....we could always find a reason not to do something!

The recession is going to be bad, there is no way of escaping that. There is already many many job losses in QLD. Cant speak for other states as I have no idea...sorry.

Just random thoughts xx

Guest brooksey

Thats fine if you don't have a job in uk. But whats the point of being in oz losing a small fortune when you can delay a while and make money in uk if you have a secure job.

I think the problem is that there isn't a "one size fits all" answer to this dilemma.

If you have a good job in the UK that looks (as far as you know) reasonably secure I'd think long and hard before giving that (and any prospect of state benefit) up for an uncertain future in Australia.

Similarly, everyone is different in terms of how much equity they hope to realise from a UK house sale...and how much they need that equity to start a new life.

On the other hand, some people will probably have rather better prospects down here than they would staying in the UK. Even though there WILL be a recession down here, most analysts agree that it won't be as deep or long lasting down here. Australia doesn't have the same dependence on the financial sector of the economy...and the government doesn't have to borrow £170 billion a year to bail out incompetent banks.

The only advice I can offer is to do your homework and think this through rationally.

However, once you've weighed all your options, if you still can't decide remember that you'll generally be a happier person if you regret the things you've done than the things you haven't done. I've made the second half of my fifth decade and can say that, without exception, it's the missed chances I regret far more than bad choices.

Bob

Guest brooksey

don't get me wrong i love australia and want to stay here and some jobs ie engineering seem in good health over here but i'm speaking as one tradesman(tradie) to another.

Guest tandcmum

it is a difficult one, for us we have been stalling a bit as hubby has a well paid job and i was managing to get enough work on the nurse bank to keep us going, now it seems hubby may be out of work soon there fore we could go over with me working as a nurse full time and hubby doing teh childcare and working a part time job around me, which would be pretty much the same as here. We also don't own a home so for us we are not goong to make a loss on equity etc. so seems the right kind of time for us.

For us it has always been the pull of Oz making us want to go but if hubby loses his job i think me might be getting an ever so slight shove

Understand your comments Johatts but this is our experience:

We accepted an offer on our house at the beginning of last year and were planning to move in October '08.

We went to Sunshine & Gold Coast for a reccie in July and despite contacting every Air Conditioning company in the local phone directories, recieved NO replies. Have also contacted lots of companies on the employment sites and had no joy!

We also noticed that there were lots of building sites (particularly apartment blocks) that seem to have been abandoned mid build.

We run a small business here and are financially ok at the mo.

The house sale went through (to our astonishment) and we moved out at the end of October. We are renting at the moment and I am missing my house like mad and thinking 'Why have we put ourselves through this??

However, we have 4 more years left on our visas and we both feel that although we are desperate to start our new lives in Oz, now is not the time...at the moment, we have a good income and with 2 boys aged 13 and 10, don't want to move over and find there if no work.

We will know when the time is right....reading between the lines, Oz seems to be a year or so behind us with regards to the recession, just as we are a year or so behind the US. It seems to start with the tradies being laid off then everything else follows.

I hope I am wrong and I hope it doesn't hit over there but so many of our friends have been made redundant here so we are thankful for an income at the moment.

This is just my experience and my opinion....we will continue to dream and I know that one day we will go but...not today:sad:

Good luck to everyone else

Debby

Understand your comments Johatts but this is our experience:

However, we have 4 more years left on our visas and we both feel that although we are desperate to start our new lives in Oz, now is not the time...at the moment, we have a good income and with 2 boys aged 13 and 10, don't want to move over and find there if no work.

We will know when the time is right....reading between the lines, Oz seems to be a year or so behind us with regards to the recession, just as we are a year or so behind the US. It seems to start with the tradies being laid off then everything else follows.

I hope I am wrong and I hope it doesn't hit over there but so many of our friends have been made redundant here so we are thankful for an income at the moment.

This is just my experience and my opinion....we will continue to dream and I know that one day we will go but...not today:sad:

Good luck to everyone else

Debby

I thoroughly agree with your sentiments Debbie. We are doing our rekky in April for 2 weeks & to validate our VISA, but my OH also has a stable well paid job at moment in UK, so we are also thinking that we'll still have til 2013 to make a final decision/move, so why rush! We have looked at jobs for sheet metal workers & 12 months ago there was quite a choice, last week we couldn't find one suitable at all (& thats looking in Melbourne & Brisbane). I'm also waiting to see if Oz house prices start to come down more like in the UK too.

Kath

Guest ABCDiamond
thats not the best news I've heard, we are going to Brisbane on my job as a nurse, my hubby will have to find something when we get there, at the moment he is working as a tug driver at our local docks and was hopeing for something similar though he can turn his hand to just about anything. He did run his own computer repair business untill last year when his business partner had to pull out of the business. So hopefully he will find something to do.

The Port of Brisbane has just started a new website, because they say they can't get enough workers ?

22nd January 2009: Port of Brisbane launches website to attract workers | The Courier-Mail

GET your truck licence, retrain as a health worker, go green or get into sales. That's where the jobs are in Queensland despite the doom and gloom.

The Port of Brisbane is so worried about finding workers that it has launched a dedicated career website, www.portcareers.com.au.

It puzzles me with everything we read, but worth looking.

As a computer repair person, he could start his own little business from home, with a leaflet drop to get started. I've considered doing that again, but that means working, and I am not really that way inclined these days :biglaugh:

Thanks for that ABCDiamond, it's taken a weight off my mind knowing he has the chance to get something. He would prefer the computer option but I thought that to start your own business you had to have a substantial amount of money to invest and employ an australian national, have I heard wrong? this is what I love about this forum, there is always someone to help.

many thanks

Lynne

Guest brooksey
The Port of Brisbane has just started a new website, because they say they can't get enough workers ?

22nd January 2009: Port of Brisbane launches website to attract workers | The Courier-Mail

It puzzles me with everything we read, but worth looking.

As a computer repair person, he could start his own little business from home, with a leaflet drop to get started. I've considered doing that again, but that means working, and I am not really that way inclined these days :biglaugh:

Try following the link. There are no jobs for tradesmen

G,day everyone im a plasterer in the uk looking for the big move to oz but have to take an AQF III which is going to take 9 months.Is the work available for plasterers in perth or are they feeling the big R

Guest fuzzbox

:arghh: This is very worrying..

My hubby is a bricklayer to, and we will be moving to brisbane. Could I ask a very obvious question....Why is the Government still granting visas, and creating a critical skills list, and promoting Oz when there are no bloody jobs????

Sorry for moaning but feeling really disapointed at the mo as we, as a family, have our heart set on going out there by the end of this year. My hubbys job is not particularly secure prob about 3 months of work left, however I work in a school so mine is quite secure but poorly paid.

Really regreting not doing this sooner ... :no:

exactly what i was thinking, why give us the visa's, its such a hard decision anyway, my head is everywhere now, but really want to go, dont mind being a little skint when i am there for a while, but no job that will be hard

Guest bowbrum03
:arghh: This is very worrying..

My hubby is a bricklayer to, and we will be moving to brisbane. Could I ask a very obvious question....Why is the Government still granting visas, and creating a critical skills list, and promoting Oz when there are no bloody jobs????

Because the Australian government is making a fortune $$$$$$$$$$$

Do they really care; when you have submitted that application, they just take the money.

They should defiantly stop visas been granted when they know there is NO jobs out their.

People are spending thousands and will struggle to find work, this could last 2 years here in OZ

Archived