is the recession effecting queensland

hogan

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Burnett,

Great post!

I lived between Brisbane abd Gold Coast for 18 yrs and what you have said sounds very true. You mentioned about Brisbane, would it be all that different ..more industry etc but more people applying for jobs?

You mention more work in southern cities such as Sydney...would Melbourne be included i that for possibly better ongoing job prospects?

Thanks

wildbriz

I wouldn't be looking at the Gold Coast unless you had a VERY firm offer of work up there. In times of recession - Sydney or Melbourne; you can always pootle on up to the Gold Coast when things pick up. Why on earth do you want to leave Norfolk though, it's bloody gorgeous there!!!!

hi burnett

thank you very much for your wonderful post and advise, we were thinking of the gold coast, but we have also been considering sydney too, so we have some thinking to do.

thanks again

Mine can't play outside either in Oz....not without getting burnt to a cinder, frazzled by UV rays or bit by mozzies. Mind you, we were back in the UK for 9 weeks until 2 weeks ago, got lots of outside time there. Brilliant walks through frosty woods, ambled down country lanes spotting the birds in the hedgerows and chatting to pheasant shooters....no pluckers though! Really made us realise - you can wrap-up when it's cold, but when it's hot, you can't do a thing other than what most do which is sit inside in front of the air con!

On google maps it says

31.2 km – about 35 mins

But it depends on traffic and the time of day.

It can be busy on the Centenary Highway which is a short highway of 5km to get to the ipswich motorway. Also teh Ipswich motorway gets banked up.

Being a Nurse I imagine the hours are different to office people.

Guest JACKYCLARK

Hi, we emigrated last April.....full of hope and dreams and excitement. Four years of planning evaluating and preparing. We had our skills assessments done, we had sold our house (so we thought), and we had work sorted through friends who live here in Qld.

As soon as we left the house sale fell through, the recession hit and we discovered the skills assessment meant diddley squat! Each state here has it's own set of rules, and requirements for trade recognition.

My husband is a bricklayer, has been all his working life. When we arrived here we discovered his qualifications, experience and skills assessment meant nothing. He had to start as an apprentice again, not easy when your 43 years old. In order to have his skills recognised and be "qualified" here he would be required to do a course that would cost upwards of $5,000. Then apply for all sorts of licences.....honestly you need a licence to piss in a pot here. (I'm not exaggerating).

But on the upside he has been in work, like most things through a friend of a friend. It has been a real culture shock on site. All the materials and specifications are different. He leaves for work most mornings at 5.30 am and has one brew/dinner half hour at 10.30am and finishes about 3.30pm. He has always been a grafter and has worked all his life with never any time off, but says the work here is tough, rough and VERY fast pace. They earn every dollar, with pay rates average. He brings home approx. $800 a week.

With no licence as yet, he can't earn any extra money, like he could back in England doing foreigners etc.

We live on the sunshine coast, a beautiful place. It is a fast growing area and therefore at the moment plenty of work. There is concern that things will slow down only slightly here when the recession finally hits us, but for the moment we seem ok.

The house prices are falling here and the government has a great offer on for 1st time buyers (till end of June) $14,000 towards 1st home or $21,000 if it's a "new build"! So we just need to sell ours back in England (some hope) to take advantage!

Renting is VERY expensive upwards of $400 a WEEK for anything worth having (and that's only an apartment), a house could be as much as $800 a WEEK!

We tried to be prepared for when we got here, we did our homework, but nothing prepared us for the reality. It has been difficult to adjust, but still worth it. Just wish we had been more prepared. From what we have heard of the state of the building industry back home, we think we are better off here. (Wonder why they call us winging poms!) Hope that gives some of you hopefuls a little incite?:chatterbox:

• 2 weeks later...

I think the best thing to do before you get to anywhere in oz, would be to get in contact with as many companies and give them a ring. Speak to the people over there, ask them for advice, get some contacts. I woluldn't wait till you get there because it could be a lot harder and take longer and therefore make you more desperate and then take a less desirable job. Also you'd look a lot more keen and dedicated by being proative. My friend is a teacher and is leaving for aus in the next month or so, she has already applied to agencies and has got work in Sydney already, I know teaching is easier to get work, but I still think getting in there first looks better.

Also I'd ask around, quite often someone knows someone else who is out there that might be able to help out, whether it be a job, an interview, advice etc. Also if you can get to the Aussie expos then you might be able to make more contacts there.

I think you've just got to think, what would you do here if you couldn't get work? The recession doesn't help, but I think the more contact you have with people over there and the more poeple who know about you, the better. I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't a lot of builders heading to Victoria to help with rebuilding after the fires. That could be an option, also if people head there then there may be less people in other places. I would just be prepared to go outside of cities and to move around. My dad was a plaster and we moved a few times to where the work was more available. If you're in contruction/building then I think the idea of living in one place in the heart of the city for ever, may not be that likely. Your family may be able may be able to stay put, but you may have to do a lot of travelling.

• 1 month later...
Guest ABCDiamond
Thanks for that ABCDiamond, it's taken a weight off my mind knowing he has the chance to get something. He would prefer the computer option but I thought that to start your own business you had to have a substantial amount of money to invest and employ an australian national, have I heard wrong? this is what I love about this forum, there is always someone to help.

many thanks

Lynne

I never answered this before, as I wasn't getting email notifications (since changing my email address) ;)

Almost anyone can start in business, just about straight away.

The thing about an Australian national, may be the requirement for Limited Companies to have a Director who is resident in Australia.

I know that I have owned Limited Companies, and I am only PR, not even a citizen yet.

In my first business, here in Australia, I think I had about $500 available for it when I started.

Guest earlswood
its pretty in norfolk, but boring, my kids have not played outside for a few months because of the weather, need a better life style.

You kidding:huh: I have never seen so kids outside in the last couple of months because of this wonerfull winter we have just had, kids are kids and even in Australia they are all indoors on their x-boxes.

• 1 year later...

Hi there,

Recession in Qld, we would definately say yes, you drive round and notice huge shops are closing, mmmmm, also not much work around for trades people, we boh feel the economy here is grinding to a halt, all time low in 1st time buyers, plus high mortgage rates is effecting everyone, there are talks of more interest rate rises in the near future stopping growth.

Would recommend if have to come here try to get a secure job 1st, or better still try another state, ie WA, or SA seem to have a lot more work, seem to have better prospects for the building trade, also another pointer about qld is the pays rubbish, my hubby has been made redundant in the hvac trade, the jobs that are available pay rubbish, not enough to live on, our advise for you is if you have a well paid job in the uk, stick at it there until things sort themselves out, we were much better off in the uk, just deciding if to return. pm if you want further insight of qld

Guest joannaplus4
Hi ezzie

Hope you make the right decision...I know how you feel. We are in a similar place....its really unsettling being unable to make plans or look to the future.

Just wondering how long ago you left the UK. So much has changed in the last 5 years...its a completely different country.

Be warned, even the utility bills have increased dramatically (£450 for us for the last quarter!!!) Crime rates have gone through the roof.

As much as I love it here,there are some things I wont miss. I think its all swings and roundabouts...some things are easier there and some things are worth staying in the UK for.

Debby & boys

Having lived on both sides of the pond (married to a skippy), you really do have to be realistic about crime rates and child safety in Australia. It really does depends on which area you live, in both the UK and OZ. Crime rates and child safety is exactly the same in any country. Please do not think you are going to some Utopia where it does not exist, some areas in Australia have much worse crime than the UK down to the biker gangs, some suburbs in Sydney you would be silly to get off the train at. My MIL has been mugged twice coming home from work and the list goes on. So please be aware it is more or less exactly the same as the UK, dependant on where you choose to live.

Archived