transferring from R.N to R.A.N royal navy to royal australian navy

Guest guest25493

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just wanting to wish Rcplus3 and neenie good luck with the move next week, we have 5 weeks 5 days left before we fly. Furniture goes on Monday. All the best everyone let us know how it all goes

Debbs

Thanks Debbs, tucked up in hotel, ready for our big day tomorrow. Good luck to you all too 4weeks will fly by, and you will be here! X

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Well we have finally taken a step further with the transfer route and now have application form, med form and a bunch of other attachements sent to us by email. And a new contact to deal with our application. He said just send off the app form and the med form can follow.

So, all emailed to the husband who is typically at sea until Xmas and am keeping fingers crossed he fills it all out properly!!!

Feels strange to have finally gone a bit further than just thinking about it but still ages to go I am sure!

On a different note, anyone here civvy registered nurse who have gone over with their husbands/wives?

Thanks!

Emma

Just thought of another question - what is the ratio of deployment/alongside time for CPOMEA? And where would we likely to be based? From what I can tell I am thinking Sydney but could be totally wrong!

Hi Emma,

is your OH joining RAN as CPO, or is he (like me) dropping down in rank? Not that it affects the sea/shore ratio (I think). From what I can gather, the ratio as it stands is approx 50/50, so not much different to the RN, but I wait to stand corrected...

Hi :0)

I suspect he will drop a rank as it tends to be - we have questioned this and are waiting on an answer from recruiting. Just be interested to find out the reality of Navy life over there and if or if not it differs much from here.

50/50 sounds good to me as the last 3 yrs it has been 75/25 in favour of going away here! I can happily manage half the time if the other half is quality family time! SO many questions about this whole venture!

Hi Emma,

If you need to know anything about the general process ask away just gone through it all in last 8 months.

Debbs

QUOTE=themoomins;1936317445]Hi :0)

I suspect he will drop a rank as it tends to be - we have questioned this and are waiting on an answer from recruiting. Just be interested to find out the reality of Navy life over there and if or if not it differs much from here.

50/50 sounds good to me as the last 3 yrs it has been 75/25 in favour of going away here! I can happily manage half the time if the other half is quality family time! SO many questions about this whole venture!

Hi Debbs,

Not long to go now, Just wanted to pop on and wish you safe travels and lots of luck for your new life!

Also to let everyone know we arrived in Perth to rain, that was 11 days ago, bit more rain since and we literally emptied our shoes out after one down pour, but I have to say it was laughable! 2 days ago we moved into our house, we love it here and the weather has improved somewhat!

We wish all those starting the journey lots of luck and if any of you that are coming to Perth and need/want a friend just shout. :)

Thanks Neenie, good to know your there and settling in we have 2 weeks 5 days left, all the furniture has gone and just over a week until the air freight goes.

Debbs

Hi Debbs,

Not long to go now, Just wanted to pop on and wish you safe travels and lots of luck for your new life!

Also to let everyone know we arrived in Perth to rain, that was 11 days ago, bit more rain since and we literally emptied our shoes out after one down pour, but I have to say it was laughable! 2 days ago we moved into our house, we love it here and the weather has improved somewhat!

We wish all those starting the journey lots of luck and if any of you that are coming to Perth and need/want a friend just shout. :)

Hi, my OH is in the process of lateral transfer to the RAN... Any advice on the process and what happens when would be greatly appreciated!

We are hoping to be over in oz by 2014... We have 3 small children so I will to organise schools... Does anyone have any experience of this/ would I get assistance from the RAN? I have so many questions!!

My husband would be based in fremantle, so I have been looking at areas such as rockingham... Is this a nice place to live?

Many thanks x

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, my OH is in the process of lateral transfer to the RAN... Any advice on the process and what happens when would be greatly appreciated!

We are hoping to be over in oz by 2014... We have 3 small children so I will to organise schools... Does anyone have any experience of this/ would I get assistance from the RAN? I have so many questions

My husband would be based in fremantle, so I have been looking at areas such as rockingham... Is this a nice place to live?

Many thanks x

Hi We arrived here in Perth nearly a month ago, cant believe we have been here nearly a month its gone so quickly.

Any questions ask away. We are based in Rockingham and we like what we have seen so far!

As for schools, I done a lot of research from the UK on line, but what you see on line isn't what you get at the school, I was very disappointed with a couple of schools, but we are enrolled in a great school, and we are really happy with it. Also they are very strict on catchment areas here, so don't get your heart set on a school in case you don't get offered a house in that area. Do your research, draw up a short list and then go visit the schools its the best way in my opinion, and if you don't have any friends out here to go visit schools with you give me a shout.

Feel free to pm me any questions too, this thread is a wealth of information too. Good Luck :)

• 2 weeks later...

We are hoping to be over in oz by 2014... We have 3 small children so I will to organise schools... Does anyone have any experience of this/ would I get assistance from the RAN? I have so many questions!!

Many thanks x

Hey we arrived in Perth about a month ago we're based in Port Kennedy/Rockingham it is really nice, it has lot's of parks for the children (all areas have a park in each estate) and there are lovely beaches too. There is tonnes of information on this thread it would definitely be worth reading through it and you will also see some timelines too of when things should be happening however be pprepared for lot's of waiting cause nothing happens quickly.

I researched schools and areas before coming out so I had idea of what was around however they are very strict on catchment areas so it's best to look at schools in a few areas just incase you don't get the area you want.

We are absolutely loving it out here and our children are getting on great too. If I can be of any help at all please feel free to pm me any questions yiu may have.

Good luck

Hi,

thank you for the advice, it's good to know others are in the process or have actually done it! We are really excited about going to perth... Still a while to go though. The OH. Has just completed everything for the RAN medical.. Not sure what the next step is or when we will here anything else. I think the medical go to SUMU and we hear from them...

we don't know anyone that has completed the process.. I think my hubby knows of people whom have done it however it was some time ago x the process seems to have changed a little in the last year or so.

thank you for offering to view schools with me! That would be great! We are also looking at moving to rockingham.. Iv looked on the net and it does look lovely!

I can't seem to find a thread that gives me a timeline for process.. The only one I can find is from a couple of years ago and things have changed a Lot since then x

im guessing that once the medical branch have "passed" my hubby then we would get an offer of employment.. I'll keep looking the threads x

thank you for your message, it's nice to chat to someone about it x

emma

Thanks Pablo! Emma, my name is danni and we are currently in the process too! I think you may be further down the line than us though! Have you received your COS? We have done everything they have asked so far and been told, they are raising a corporate file and to be patient whilst they process out application! I hope this is good news as we have just sold our home for our dream down under! Where do you live currently? What does your hubby do? X x x

No worries Danni,only took a minute,dont know if you know or not,but if you scroll down to the bottom of the page on whatever topic you're posting about,there's normally more threads on the same topic,only shorter ones tho on transferring

Good luck to you and yours

Do you live in oz then? Are you from liverpool? I am from Kirkby originally ha x

Lol,no,not yet Danni,long story!:dull::wacko: got till august next yr now,need my house to sell,or thats it,im half prepared that it wont happen now,but we'll see

Youre a sock robber from Kirkby eh!:tongue::wink:im from Huyton originally

Sounds like a long story! Are you in the forces then? Yes I am a Kirkby sock robber ha! But if you're from huyton, you can't say anythingx

No Danni,i WAS in the army for 3 days as a kid tho!:twitcy::laugh:

I jibbed it,couldnt hack being spoken down to,had an argument everyday with the officers over one thing or another:embarrassed:,me and people who are disrespectful because they're in authority dont go well together,stupidest thing ive ever done,im not good at taking orders tbh,altho i seem to have spent my life since taking orders off those funny fellahs called women:no::wink:

Huyton yeah:happy_face_outlaw_s,no i cant say anything!:wink:

Hi Danni,

My hubby is a submariner, he has completed the medicals that have been requested from the SUMU department and has given everything that's requested... I think it's the COS letter that we are waiting for.. We currently have our house on the market.. A little scary but also very exciting!

we would be moving to perth... Which looks wonderful!! We also have children so it's a lot to think about.. I'm very excited, we all are!

what does your hubby do? We are living in plymouth at the moment

the process seems to have changed a lot, especially the visas which are gonna be very expensive!

We we could end up going out about the same time! When did you start the application? We started in feb x

emma

Hi

I am after some advice on how i would go about joining the R.A.N!

I served in the royal navy back in April 2004 until May 2008 seeing as i am now a civvy what would the chances be in joining the R.A.N? Would i have to re-join the royal navy and then transfer across?

Thanks

Hey Iknights1987,

you would NOT have to join the RN in order to then subsequently join the RAN. You would apply directly, and then be accepted or otherwise based on your application. I imagine that having previous service would be beneficial...

For information, when transferring between the RN and RAN, you have to leave the RN first, and then join the RAN. As serving members wishing Lateral Entry, we still have to go through the application process too.

Go to the RAN homepage and find the 'Overseas Applicants' section. There you'll find the contact details for the team to start the ball rolling. Plan on about 18 months for the whole process, although this will vary, depending on your circumstances.

Nige

Hi

I am after some advice on how i would go about joining the R.A.N!

I served in the royal navy back in April 2004 until May 2008 seeing as i am now a civvy what would the chances be in joining the R.A.N? Would i have to re-join the royal navy and then transfer across?

Thanks

Archived