transferring from R.N to R.A.N royal navy to royal australian navy

Guest guest25493

Hi everyone,

im so sorry if this has already been asked- I have had a trawl through most of the pages in this thread but I don't think I saw the answer to my question! Anyway, can anyone give me a breakdown on the steps needed to finally get to OZ please?

we've done the EOI and had the application form sent through, so what happens next and at what stage will my husband have to hand his notice in over here etc? Also, I appreciate that the timelines can vary widely but what is the 'general' length of time it could take from handing in the app' form to parking my bum on a beach in sunny Australia?!! :cute:

Thanks in advance, xxx

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi everyone,

im so sorry if this has already been asked- I have had a trawl through most of the pages in this thread but I don't think I saw the answer to my question! Anyway, can anyone give me a breakdown on the steps needed to finally get to OZ please?

we've done the EOI and had the application form sent through, so what happens next and at what stage will my husband have to hand his notice in over here etc? Also, I appreciate that the timelines can vary widely but what is the 'general' length of time it could take from handing in the app' form to parking my bum on a beach in sunny Australia?!! :cute:

Thanks in advance, xxx

Hi,

To answer your question the basic steps are these:

> EOI and application forms, which you've already done.

> Complete the application forms with all the required details and get medicals done ASAP, as nothing happens until they have everything that they need.

> Your application will be assessed for experience, skills and qualifications etc and based on this assessment they will (hopefully) offer you a rank and seniority.

> At the same time your application will be medically assessed, this can take some time, especially if you are a submariner or there are any issues.

> When both bits are complete they will send you a conditions of service, which is basically your contract. From them receiving my application paperwork to me getting my CoS it took 4 months, which is about average I think. This will also have the enlistment date, which should have been discussed with you at some point.

> From this point on you can consider having a firm job offer and I would say this would be the first "low risk" point your husband could put in notice. The RAN will apply to DIAC for a Labour Agreement at this time which is a recruiting agreement between the two of them, this allows you to apply for the Visa. Again timings vary, mine took 4 weeks to arrive after they received my CoS.

> As soon as the LA is approved you are now in the hands of immigration, who in my experience are not the most helpful, you can then apply for your Visa, they seem to have ironed out a lot of the issues with the online applications, my Visa took 8 months to be approved some people are now getting them in six weeks!!! The application is fairly easy now its all online, its the waiting that is the killer.

> When Visa is approved things can move quickly, you will have a confirmed enlistment date and will be given a service number, access to defence housing, and contacted by various people to arrange removals, flights etc.

I think you could easily do it in 12 months, as long as you have no holdups at any stage. It all depends on when your husband puts in his notice, medicals and Visas have been the issues for most people who have had problems. Be prepared for a lot of waiting and checking emails every morning!!

Hope this helps, I think everyone on here has had a different experience of the process and they change the way things are done quite often so some of what i've said might be a bit out of date.

Hi,

I think you could easily do it in 12 months, as long as you have no holdups at any stage. It all depends on when your husband puts in his notice, medicals and Visas have been the issues for most people who have had problems. Be prepared for a lot of waiting and checking emails every morning!!

Hope this helps, I think everyone on here has had a different experience of the process and they change the way things are done quite often so some of what i've said might be a bit out of date.

Thank you very much RCplus3! That's really helpful and makes sense of what everyone on here is talking about (too many abbreviations for my tiny brain to compute! :biggrin:)

When do you find out where you are going to be based? Is that something that they tell you further down the line or is it trade dependant? My husband is a POAWT so is if safe to assume he'll be in Sydney or could he be based anywhere? (I only ask this at this v early stage so we can think about finding me work too)

I know we are at the very start of this long journey but it is all very exciting and nerve racking to think that in a short while we could be starting a new life on the other side of the world... Eeek! :dull:

I am not totally sure when you find out, sorry!! I am a Submariner so we had no choice, it was always going to be Western Australia for us!! I know there are ships on both sides though so you could end up either end i imagine. I'm sure someone else will be able to answer that though?

Hope it all works out for you, it can all happen fairly quickly if things go well!

Hi Everyone,

Just a couple of questions for those that are already there or if anyone who is going will know :)

We are due to go to Sydney on the 22nd August and I am hoping to put my son into Kindergarten (nursery) quite early on, he will be 2 in September. Any idea what the costs are and what age you can put them in??

Also we have got access to DHA but there is only one house on there and its in Caringbah! we are not keen to live so far away from the Harbor as my husband doesnt want such a long commute. We have been recommended to rent our own place as there is a shortage of houses, does anyone know if this is true?

We have been told that Manly or Freshwater are good places to live any recommendations there??

Sorry to ask so many questions its just creeping up on us now and I hate not knowing what to expect. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Marie.

Hi Everyone,

Just a couple of questions for those that are already there or if anyone who is going will know :)

We are due to go to Sydney on the 22nd August and I am hoping to put my son into Kindergarten (nursery) quite early on, he will be 2 in September. Any idea what the costs are and what age you can put them in??

Also we have got access to DHA but there is only one house on there and its in Caringbah! we are not keen to live so far away from the Harbor as my husband doesnt want such a long commute. We have been recommended to rent our own place as there is a shortage of houses, does anyone know if this is true?

We have been told that Manly or Freshwater are good places to live any recommendations there??

Sorry to ask so many questions its just creeping up on us now and I hate not knowing what to expect. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Marie.

Hi Marie,

do you mind if I ask you a couple of questions? (Sorry about not being able to answer any of your questions tho!) what trade is your hubby? I'm just a bit unsure as to where we would end up if we went over to Oz. also, when did you start your 'journey' to go over? We're still at the very early stage but my husband is a bit nervous (I think!) that we're going to get the app' form sent off and find ourselves in Australia before we know it!! As much as I'd like to be over there as soon as possible, I think he needs reassurance that it could take a few months/ couple of years to be able to get everything sorted over here!!

Thanks in advance for any help xxx

Timescales, how long is a piece of string? Seriously, it's dependent on your circumstances, some manage to do it in a year others over two years. Check out some really useful previous posts on this link, it's kept us sane :-)

re our case EOI December 2012 , meds done and sent April now playing the waiting game -again!

Hi Marie,

do you mind if I ask you a couple of questions? (Sorry about not being able to answer any of your questions tho!) what trade is your hubby? I'm just a bit unsure as to where we would end up if we went over to Oz. also, when did you start your 'journey' to go over? We're still at the very early stage but my husband is a bit nervous (I think!) that we're going to get the app' form sent off and find ourselves in Australia before we know it!! As much as I'd like to be over there as soon as possible, I think he needs reassurance that it could take a few months/ couple of years to be able to get everything sorted over here!!

Thanks in advance for any help xxx

Hiya,

My husband is a POMET, we could have been based either Western or Eastern and have been told Sydney. What trade is your husband? I think other than if your a Submariner then you can be based anywhere they need you. We started our application January 2012 so by the time we go it will have taken 20 Months. It would have taken longer if my husband had not have been given early release as he is not due to officially leave in October, but has been granted to leave in August. We were delayed because my husband was at sea when things needed to be done etc so it has taken us a bit longer than normal. A few people that I know who have done the move have done it between 12 to 18 months with no issues in between so I think thats the length of time to go with. It also depends on when your husband puts his notice in and how quick you send off all the forms.

I was nervous at first when we put our application in but now we are only weeks away I am getting excited and really looking forward to the big move. My Husband is slightly nervous about changing Navy's lol but he is also excited. One piece of advice from me would be that you will have to pester whoever is your contact in the Aussie Navy as they tend to take their time in getting back to you with any info you waiting for.

Sorry to blab on I hope I have managed to answer any questions?? Let me know if you need any more info as im more than happy to help :)))

Good Luck.

Marie.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks Marie.

Hi Marie and welcome.. I cannot answer you 1st question but I will ask my daughter has she works in a nursery..

You can only get RA private rent if there are not any houses at all. If you only have 1 child or even 2 the chances are there are 3 beds around, so u will not get a private rent. Manly freshwater are great places to live, I don't know how long it takes to get to work from either of these places...

I live in Caringbah and have done for nearly 5 years and love it here. Fantastic train link, one train into the city 50 minutes... Good schools, great for shopping, and beaches to die for. My husband bough himself a motorbike to get to work/ He leaves here at 6.30, like most I know from Manly and Freshwater, no trains there either all travel is by bus or car.. He is back in the house by 4.30 everyday sometimes b4...

It's very hard when you don't know anything. Hope this helps,, if you need to know anything else just ask. I will let you know about the nursery :)

Thank you very much RCplus3! That's really helpful and makes sense of what everyone on here is talking about (too many abbreviations for my tiny brain to compute! :biggrin:)

When do you find out where you are going to be based? Is that something that they tell you further down the line or is it trade dependant? My husband is a POAWT so is if safe to assume he'll be in Sydney or could he be based anywhere? (I only ask this at this v early stage so we can think about finding me work too)

I know we are at the very start of this long journey but it is all very exciting and nerve racking to think that in a short while we could be starting a new life on the other side of the world... Eeek! :dull:

I dont know anyone that as done it in 12 months yet. The normal is 18 to 24 month's.. what with everything u have to do, 2 years is a good time scale...

Hi Marie and welcome.. I cannot answer you 1st question but I will ask my daughter has she works in a nursery..

You can only get RA private rent if there are not any houses at all. If you only have 1 child or even 2 the chances are there are 3 beds around, so u will not get a private rent. Manly freshwater are great places to live, I don't know how long it takes to get to work from either of these places...

I live in Caringbah and have done for nearly 5 years and love it here. Fantastic train link, one train into the city 50 minutes... Good schools, great for shopping, and beaches to die for. My husband bough himself a motorbike to get to work/ He leaves here at 6.30, like most I know from Manly and Freshwater, no trains there either all travel is by bus or car.. He is back in the house by 4.30 everyday sometimes b4...

It's very hard when you don't know anything. Hope this helps,, if you need to know anything else just ask. I will let you know about the nursery :)

Hi My daughters Place charge 80 dollars a day :)

• 2 weeks later...
I dont know anyone that as done it in 12 months yet. The normal is 18 to 24 month's.. what with everything u have to do, 2 years is a good time scale...

My husband did, but he was a special case (so things were speeded up slightly) and we actually withdrew and declined the offer about a week before the packers turned up. We had got a visa in our own right (rather than being sponsored by the RAN) and while they suggested we did not submit our application (we were at submission point when the offer came through), we declined and did it our own way in order to give us more options. Our visa came through in 6 weeks and after much thought, and messing around/lie telling by the RAN, we withdrew and came out on our own. However we flew out at around the same time we would have flown with the RAN (hubbie slightly earlier, me and the kids slightly later) and it was 8 months from start to finish.

Hi everyone, very quiet on here for a while. How's everyone getting on? We have just over 10 weeks before we leave time is flying by.

We've been busy busy busy, Pickfords came and took our stuff away last week, and today we have just received our travel details. 48 hours stop-over in Hong Kong on the way in what looks like a really nice hotel (too nice for my three kids anyway!!!) and business class flights as promised. We also managed to sort out a house in one of the areas we wanted, busy week!!! Just 5 weeks until we fly now, cant wait.

That's great who are you flying with? We've been on home finder but there is nothing on there at all now, which area did you finally get? It's unbelievable how the weeks have gone by.

QUOTE=RCplus3;1936273584]We've been busy busy busy, Pickfords came and took our stuff away last week, and today we have just received our travel details. 48 hours stop-over in Hong Kong on the way in what looks like a really nice hotel (too nice for my three kids anyway!!!) and business class flights as promised. We also managed to sort out a house in one of the areas we wanted, busy week!!! Just 5 weeks until we fly now, cant wait.

That's great who are you flying with? We've been on home finder but there is nothing on there at all now, which area did you finally get? It's unbelievable how the weeks have gone by.

QUOTE=RCplus3;1936273584]We've been busy busy busy, Pickfords came and took our stuff away last week, and today we have just received our travel details. 48 hours stop-over in Hong Kong on the way in what looks like a really nice hotel (too nice for my three kids anyway!!!) and business class flights as promised. We also managed to sort out a house in one of the areas we wanted, busy week!!! Just 5 weeks until we fly now, cant wait.

Flying with Cathay Pacific, we got a house in Port Kennedy, had been looking all day and seen nothing and it suddenly popped up while Rachael was out. I had to make a decision without her out as you get a 30 minute timer as soon as you reserve it to make up your mind! Luckily its a nice house or I would've been in big trouble!!

Flying with Cathay Pacific, we got a house in Port Kennedy, had been looking all day and seen nothing and it suddenly popped up while Rachael was out. I had to make a decision without her out as you get a 30 minute timer as soon as you reserve it to make up your mind! Luckily its a nice house or I would've been in big trouble!!

Not long now RCplus3!

I had similar situation this morning, got up and logged on to homefind and found a house, Hubby having a lie in, so a quick search on google earth to see surrounding areas, and to make sure in catchment area for school, 30mins sure does go quickly doesn't it? Quick message to friend to get her round to get some up to date photos and lock down house! Just hope Hubby likes it as much as I do lol!!

See you on the 21st!!!! Anyone else flying 22nd August?

Not long now RCplus3!

I had similar situation this morning, got up and logged on to homefind and found a house, Hubby having a lie in, so a quick search on google earth to see surrounding areas, and to make sure in catchment area for school, 30mins sure does go quickly doesn't it? Quick message to friend to get her round to get some up to date photos and lock down house! Just hope Hubby likes it as much as I do lol!!

Hiya we are flying out on the 22nd :biggrin: i am mega excited. We havent had our furniture collected yet though not until the 5th!!! We also havent found anywhere to live yet and havent even had our flight details etc. I am excited but also getting nervous as nothing seems to have been organised and i feel its all going to be a big rush at the end. I suppose it will all come together in the end. Maybe we will see you guys on the 22nd eeeek lol!!

Not long now RCplus3!

Hiya we are flying out on the 22nd :biggrin: i am mega excited. We havent had our furniture collected yet though not until the 5th!!! We also havent found anywhere to live yet and havent even had our flight details etc. I am excited but also getting nervous as nothing seems to have been organised and i feel its all going to be a big rush at the end. I suppose it will all come together in the end. Maybe we will see you guys on the 22nd eeeek lol!!

Hey Marie,

Our furniture goes on the 8th! Drop the High Commission an email just asking if they have any news. Feel free to drop me a pm if you need to squeal at anyone in excitement lol:biglaugh:. It all started coming together for us since Monday, where are you heading? Its not long now 35days. See you in London:jiggy:

Hi everyone, was just wondering if anyone could give me a bit of info? When your furniture went did pickfords pack your tv's in there box or is it best to keep our own? Having another big sort out and seem to have kept boxes for everything.

Also just wondered the night before you go to Australia house do they put you up in a hotel and do you fly out the same day or next day.We want to start booking everything we need to.

Thanks in advance

Debbs

Hi everyone, was just wondering if anyone could give me a bit of info? When your furniture went did pickfords pack your tv's in there box or is it best to keep our own? Having another big sort out and seem to have kept boxes for everything.

Also just wondered the night before you go to Australia house do they put you up in a hotel and do you fly out the same day or next day.We want to start booking everything we need to.

Thanks in advance

Debbs

Hi Debbs

I cant answer the Pickfords question as they haven't been yet!

But I can answer the other, You will stay in hotel in London (we are staying Thislte Kensington Gardens on the night before Australia House, it seems this is the hotel they use as I know others have stayed there. They will also pay (our train tickets are booked and ready for collection) to get you into London the day before Aus house. The taxi is booked and paid for to get you to Heathrow too. you fly out the evening of the day you were at Aus House. Hope that all makes sense.

Time is really flying in now isn't it? Are you getting excitied yet? September will be here before you know it!!! Good luck with the sorting, ours is just about finished thank goodness, although pretty cross we have got rid of the BBQ and garden furniture already!!!

Hi Neenie,

Thanks for the info that's great. Where are you travelling from if you don't mind me asking? We are going to go to London a few days early do a bit of sightseeing so hopefully they will be ok about us doing that.

Time is flying by not that I'm counting but we have 9 weeks 5 days lol. I'm both excited and nervous helps I have one of my closest's friends of 15 years already living in Sydney after doing the same move so she is just as excited as us. We haven't heard from anyone else going to Sydney on here for a while.

You could have really done with your bbq in this fab weather, at least we can top up the tan ready lol

Thanks again Debbs

Hi Debbs

I cant answer the Pickfords question as they haven't been yet!

But I can answer the other, You will stay in hotel in London (we are staying Thislte Kensington Gardens on the night before Australia House, it seems this is the hotel they use as I know others have stayed there. They will also pay (our train tickets are booked and ready for collection) to get you into London the day before Aus house. The taxi is booked and paid for to get you to Heathrow too. you fly out the evening of the day you were at Aus House. Hope that all makes sense.

Time is really flying in now isn't it? Are you getting excitied yet? September will be here before you know it!!! Good luck with the sorting, ours is just about finished thank goodness, although pretty cross we have got rid of the BBQ and garden furniture already!!!

Hi Debbs,

They will only pay for travel on the day before your Australia House day. We are currently in Helensburgh West Coast Scotland, but we will be staying with friends the day of travel to London so that's where are tickets are waiting for us at the ticket desk Hitchin train station. We are 33 days away, and using the sunshine wisely to acclimatise!!! Off to a neighbours for tea tonight they have a Barbie!!!!

Hi Neenie,

Thanks for the info that's great. Where are you travelling from if you don't mind me asking? We are going to go to London a few days early do a bit of sightseeing so hopefully they will be ok about us doing that.

Time is flying by not that I'm counting but we have 9 weeks 5 days lol. I'm both excited and nervous helps I have one of my closest's friends of 15 years already living in Sydney after doing the same move so she is just as excited as us. We haven't heard from anyone else going to Sydney on here for a while.

You could have really done with your bbq in this fab weather, at least we can top up the tan ready lol

Thanks again Debbs

Hello all......Is anyone aware of a person who opted for lateral entry from Indian/ Pakistan, similar Navies? Is this entry applicable to them also? This might not be an appropriate forum to post this question, however, someone may have some answer.....

Hello all......Is anyone aware of a person who opted for lateral entry from Indian/ Pakistan, similar Navies? Is this entry applicable to them also? This might not be an appropriate forum to post this question, however, someone may have some answer.....

From what I understand from their website, it is only people from the UK, Canada, USA or New Zealand Navies who are eligible to apply. This is due to security/national defence reasons.

I know a chap from the Dutch Navy who was told he could not apply because it was so difficult to get security clearance if you are not from one of the above countries.

Archived