Hairdressing thread

TaniaColin

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Julie495

Thanks Tina, I meant applied for visa 176, I am stereo typical hairdresser lol, it all feels like a long process but I think the wait will be worth it, I visited Perth twice last year and absolutely loved it, and as for jobs I have never seen so many vacanies for hairstylists, I'm hoping to work part time in salon and then mobile I have quite a few friends there with a plenty of relatives and all waiting for meee...

Guest chrispmq

Hi :hug:

My Wife is studying Hairdressing at TAFE Port Macquarie, she is very keen to carry it on as a career once she has finished (We are not just using it to get into Oz that is).....

There seems to be an awful lot of Salons here in Port which is a good thing, but work does appear to be harder to find as the recession tries to take hold over here..

We found the process for becoming an overseas student fairly simple, if not expensive, but hey we are now living the dream in a beautiful part of Australia.

Good luck to all you other Hairdressers and Students from the UK..... :wink:

Hi :hug:

My Wife is studying Hairdressing at TAFE Port Macquarie, she is very keen to carry it on as a career once she has finished (We are not just using it to get into Oz that is).....

There seems to be an awful lot of Salons here in Port which is a good thing, but work does appear to be harder to find as the recession tries to take hold over here..

We found the process for becoming an overseas student fairly simple, if not expensive, but hey we are now living the dream in a beautiful part of Australia.

Good luck to all you other Hairdressers and Students from the UK..... :wink:

Hi and welcome to poms in oz, so pleased you are enjoying it out in Oz, best of luck to you both

Tania X

Guest chrispmq

Thanks Tania....

Best of luck with the house sale, we were so lucky our house sold just before the crunch, but we did have to drop a bit to get it to go through.... However when we changed our money to Aussie dollars the exchange rate was on our side..... We made an extra $30,000 so made back our loss.. Keep ya chin up!!! It all works out in the end...

Chris Toni and Zac

Guest the dobbas

hi all

we went to adelaide in july 08 my wife is a hairdresser of 20 years. we went looking for a sponsor and every hair salon we went into ( about 50 ) were looking for staff whether full or part time. however it is very hard to get a salon to sponsor you as you have to be paid approx 40000dollars per year which is what a senior stylist was paid. as you have no clients salons are reluctant to sponsor you so if you need a sponsor it is near impossible in adelaide but if not there was plenty of jobs back in july. hope this helps

dobba

Great info, I have not heard of many salons willing to sponsor either but I'm sure some would if they were really desperate although I now see alot of salons in my area taking on 2nd and 3rd apprentices and letting them loose on clients hair, I cringe everyday as we have a 3rd year working for us and she does not have the skills or experience to perform some ot the tasks required but it's not my salon so I just keep my head down and get on with the job.

I do check week to week on the employment situation in hairdressing on a national basis via seek.com and there does seem to be work around in most of the major cities. I still see adverts for stylists on salon windows in my area so not all doom and gloom, just yet...

Guest sanders family

Thats really good news, i'll get work when we get out there and hubby can be a house husband, OMG he will be in for a shock lol:biglaugh:

Guest funkyozlad

hi just joined this forum looks good, just sent our application off for visa on 12 feb 09, my wife has been hairdressing for 24 years now she has been running a salon for the last year, we are looking to go to perth asap. had enough of it here, also i had my own scaffold company, but want to get out of the construction ind. as had enough of that aswell. would be good to hear if any 1 has a job opportunity for me. speak again soon .

Guest Tracey Jay

Hi to all hairdressers, another one here. Great thread.

A bit about me and a few questions???

Hairdresser for 23 years, salon owner for 11 now mobile for the last 7 years. Have city and guilds (1988) so decided to go back to college and do my NVQ level 3. Thought a new certificate would impress!!!! Planning to work in a salon, part time hopefully.

Was planning to go to Brisbane, got a cousin there. Because of visa prosessing changes in Jan applied to WA for state sponsorship. Got a cousin and friend in Perth (woodvale and carramar) which I believe are 20 mins apart (luck not management) and near joondalup? (chatty 66) ?

Didn"t realise you needed licence for WA. Tried not to read to much about WA incase we don"t get statesponsorship. Would be yet another disapointment!! If I"ve read this thread right I might not have to take a test because I"ll have my NVQ3 that I"m due to finish in June. What costs involved with the licence?

Had an email this week saying we had been recommended for approval for SS, 2 other officers have to sign it off and should have notification in 7 to 10 days. Sounds good but not getting to excited untill I have it in black and white. Think we should get a case officer soon after that. Then a house to sell.......so could be there in 6 months.....mite be 6 years!!!!

Anyone still awake.....lol. Mite meet some of you one day????

Good luck everyone Tracey.

Hi Tracey Welcome on board

Its quite surprising how many hairdressers are trying to escape the UK at the moment.

Good luck with completing your NVQ 3, it sounds like you have got it all worked out, let us know how you go on. Best of luck with the house sale that is the only thing which is keeping us here now.

Tania X

Guest Tracey Jay

Hi Tania I thought I read on another thread awhile ago that you had sold your house? Did it all fall through? Did you put your house up for sale before you got your visa? I darn"t do that!!! Want to see that visa in my passport and admire it before I put my house up for sale!!

Good luck with everything, let"s try keep this thread going. Tracey x

Hi Tracey

No we had an offer made on the house but nothing came of it, so now we are changing estate agents, we put ours on the market last July, i wish now we had done it sooner but until you get the visa through you don't know what to do.

Tania X

Guest lolxxxx

I am starting my visa application this week, i am a hairdresser from London wanting to experience Australia, Have never been before but lifes too short, we have a 9 month old baby so only way to get there and work is applying for the skilled migration visa.. I have been hairdressing for 10 years and owned my own small salon for past 3 years... I only have Nvq level 2 though, Although it is a full hairdressing qualification, will i need to prove myself further to get my visa.... I want to try and process it as quickly as possible so any help would be very appreciated... Thank you in advance

Hi and welcome to poms in oz, i think you might need your NVQ3 to progress further, why don't you give an agent a ring, we used Go-Matilda and just see what quals you need to have, i know there have and are going to be changes

Best of luck

Tania X

Guest jogrant3232

As this is an hairdressing post i would just like to hijack it and wish Jo all the best on her practical exam up in Perth tonight, she will be all registered and legal,

Guest jogrant3232

Thanks

i am sure she appreciates the support

Good luck Jo with your exam

Best wishes

Tania X

my mum trained as a hairdresser in salon wen she was 15 she worked as a hairdresser until she was mid 40"s she still does some clients hair still in their homes . she would like to go back to it full time now and would need a sponcer . as she trained along time ago she didnt get papers for it does this matter? she then moved to care work but misses hairdressing so anyone out there that would no of salon that would sponcer. we coming to oz about aug sept time

Archived